What is your favorite PORT of Call?

bridog22

Just thought it would be interesting to post this question and maybe get some ideas for future cruises. Been to the caribbean twice 'Eastern and Western" I favor the Eastern. Going to the Mexican Riviera in May...looking forward to it? Thinking Alaska or Southern Caribbean next year.

KRISTIANSAND in south of Norway.

:)

Not too many cruise vessels call this port. It is a nice chill out between Oslo and Bergen. MSC has it in their itinerary and the entering to the port is one of the nicest place in the world.

You can also buy a nice boat trip tour to see the artipilagio.

Strange that not more cruise liners use the port of KRISTIANSAND

We've been Western twice, to Alaska, on a Pacific Coastal and to the Mexican Riviera. I judge the ports of call on the excursions we've done an my favorite so far is Puerto Vallarta where we did Outdoor Adventure and Rhythms of the Night. Coming in second would be Grand Cayman because the Stingrays are amazing.

Our fav is Maui in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands. We did the NCL Pride of Aloha in 2005 and it was amazing. The greens were greener. The different shades of blue water put anything in the Caribbean to shame. Black sand, pink sand, green sand and sand sand beaches! Hundreds of waterfalls. Palm trees everywhere. Wonderful snorkle and scuba. It just has it all.

Can't wait to go back.

Our fav is Maui in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands. We did the NCL Pride of Aloha in 2005 and it was amazing. The greens were greener. The different shades of blue water put anything in the Caribbean to shame. Black sand, pink sand, green sand and sand sand beaches! Hundreds of waterfalls. Palm trees everywhere. Wonderful snorkle and scuba. It just has it all.

Can't wait to go back.

Bluer than Carribean? I didnt know this was possible. Wow, this is now added to my to do list!

I vastly favor the southern Caribbean over the eastern or western. Unless you take a long cruise, you don't see many islands on an eastern itinerary. And western gets old after a time. How many times can you visit Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

My faves so far? St. John (via ferry from St. Thomas) and Dominica. Both are lovely, unspoiled islands - fare less touristy than many others.

In St. John we hiked a short distance, accompanied by a wild donkey who just happened along to serve as unofficial guide, and ended up on a nearly deserted beach. There we went snorkeling and found ourselves swimming with the sea turtles - close enough to touch, but we didn't want to spook them.

In Dominica we hiked in the rain forest to an amazing waterfall, then visted the black sand beach. Amazing.

Back in 93, I cruised around the Greek islands starting in Athens. I did the ferry hopping thing with a backpack. Went to Mykonos first then did the hydrofoil to Santorini with a stop in Porthos. In the late 70's, did all the Mexican ports of call as well as all the Alaskan ports of call and recently went to the eastern caribbean, as well as Barcelona. It's so hard to pick a favorite but I think, at least for me, Greece has it hands down, although I often times think I would like go back to Alaska, especially with global warming, to see if the Hopkins glacier and glacier bay are still intact. What a beautiful part of the world that is!

Favorite port of call for me is St Maarten. If I want fun, I stay on the Dutch side and do the America's Cup race. If I want a more quiet and sophisticated experience, I grab a cab to Marigot, have lunch in one of those marina restaurants, shop at the French stores, and wander around the area.

Can't wait to go back.

Ditto, although we did not cruise there but flew and stayed in Kihei. Have been back twice since and just love the entire island. It is so easy to get around from side to side and see all the beautiful sites. The constant slight breaze makes it possible to spend the day on the beach no matter how hot it is -- especially if you can find a tree to sit under. The views from sea to mountain top are amazing. And, unlike what you hear, it is very affordable. Especially if you eat where the locals eat.

I love seeing those blue domes ont he stark white buildings of Santorini on everyone's countdowns....*sigh*

GREEK ISLANDS. And as many of them as you can get in. After Santorini, I decided finally that when I win the lottery, I will have a summer home in Corfu though. Much more lush.

Have only done Europe by land, not sea....it would definitely win.

But...for the Caribbean, it would be St. Maarten/St. Martin. The French Side. Marigot is like a small Island Paris. Love the cafes and market. It is by far our favorite port. We're looking to get off the ships and spend a full week there.

Archived