Start Petition: Should still be able to purchase liquor and bring up to stateroom

Dardreamer

Go back a few years to several incidents caused by drunken, out of control passengers and recall the network television hidden camera exposes of what was happening on cruise ships where drinking was not controlled by the cruiselines, and you may begin to understand why RCI instituted its policies. It is easy to dismiss these policies as being instituted to improve revenues but when you can resolve the serious liability issues that unrestrained drinking raise, perhaps the policy will be relaxed. At this time, however, I think a petition to have RCI build more Radiance class ships stands a better chance than the one you propose. (And for the record, the likelihood of them building more Radiance ships is slim or none).:)

The OP isn't asking about bringing it on board he is talking about buying it on board, RCI would still make money off of it. I wish they'd offer a bar set-up in our cabin through room service. There have been numerous times when we are meeting friends before dinner or a show when we wanted to have a cocktail. Honestly, I make drinks better than the bartenders.

Over-induldgence happens now, I've seen more than a few happy cruisers passed out on the ship.

I agree. For People who HAVE to drink there are Bill W meetings :D

Does making nasty comments like that make you feel better about yourself?

My first thought is that it may be a good idea to help bring some more business back to a still depressed travel industry. HOWEVER, it also increases the liability on RCI. They lose control of if a customer has had too much to drink and should not be served as well as losing control over underage drinking. I wonder if that would change their insurance and therefore actually increase their costs?

For responsible folks, great idea. But their business is to plan for the other folks as well. Honestly, I can see both sides of this.

As much as I blast them for this policy, I do understand that with what they offer, the do attract a younger, heavier drinking crowd. But I think they could meet their consumers half way. Princess stopped selling the 1 litre bottles a while ago and now sells the 375 ml bottles, RCI could adopt this and only offer one per person for a 7 day cruise. You could be allowed to bring one bottle of wine onboard. There are ways of doing this in moderation.

We always brought a bottle with us before you could buy at the package store onboard and it has had no effect on our bar tab at all. In fact, the bar tab seems to get larger with each cruise. What it does is provide us with a convenient,quick way to have a drink any time we are in the cabin.

We stopped bringing a bottle when they started letting you buy and carry to the cabin so we wish that would be brought back and buying on ship had no effect on our bar tab either.

I would sign to bring back the onboard sales and being able to carry back to the cabin.

It would be fantastic if we were treated like responsible adults and permitted to buy a bottle at the duty free onboard for consumption on the ship. I can understand wanting to increase revenues (I'm a shareholder and would love to see them make some money this year), so why not jack up the bottle prices a bit so they make money on the duty free store, but not allow us to carry bottles on the ship? I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Of course the very sad fact is that there is a small minority who will abuse the privilege, get hammered every day, fall off the ship, puke in the hallways, and generally disturb everyone else. So just like in the playground (and other places these days), those of us who follow the rules are penalized. We'll still sail RCI, but we're not huge drinkers so they're not making much money off of us.

It would be nice if you could even take a couple of bottles of wine onboard, as they allow you to do so on Celebrity.

Having said that, I guess there's a risk that some people will go way overboard and too many people drinking excessive amounts of alcohol would be dangerous on a ship.

My biggest worry is that it would make it easier for underage drinkers to get their hands on alcohol on the ship. Personally, I feel the benefits of a safer environment outweighs the cost of buying a couple of bottles of wine onboard.

Our first cruise with RCI is in May, on Splendour of the Seas. Previously our cruises have been with P&O and Thomson, and both these British cruise lines treat their passengers like adults! By this I mean that you are allowed to bring any reasonable amount of alcohol onboard with you, and consume it on your balcony or in your cabin. You can even bring "special bottles" of your wine into the main dining rooms and for a very reasonable corkage fee of £10, are allowed to drink them with your meal. This is ideal if you are celebrating an occasion and would like to have "your" special wine or champagne. We did just this on a P&O cruise last September and took along a vintage bottle of "The Grange" wine, to drink on my OH's birthday.

I find it amazing that RCI prohibit their passengers from doing this! And, to say that people may overindulge and cause problems - well I have not seen this on the British ships at all, so are Americans any different? If people are idiots who want to get very drunk - they will! A bottle of wine brought back from an Italian vineyard will not alter this.

I am not talking about bringing vast quantities of alcohol onboard - just a bottle or two for a civilised pre-show drink, or when friends are invited to join you for drinks in your suite. Plus, to go to the wine countries of France or Italy for example, and to have your bottle taken off you as you board the ship is just awful! There is no greater pleasure than drinking a glass of the local vino on your balcony, as the ship sails away from some glorious European city, like Venice.

We had not realised when we booked a RCI cruise that there was this draconian alcohol policy - and while we are very much looking forward to experiencing an "american type" cruise, we may be going straight back to P&O, Cunard or Celebrity for our next one!! I can understand that RCI want to make a profit from selling us alcohol - but I, for one, do not like to be treated like a child!

By the way cruisePRN - we are not alcoholics, just two doctors who enjoy a glass or two of wine!:rolleyes:

I really do hope that RCI consider their policy again. If you want to cruise with British and European passengers aboard anyway!:D

I agree that ALL cruise lines that have cut back the booze in the cabin issue would re-consider their on-board sales policy. Heck, all they need to do is limit it to 1 bottle hard alcohol/2 wines per week (any extra purchase would be held). How do you control that? Easy, upon purchase of that 1 bottle, the sea pass gets hole punched. Thus, the most bottles going to the rooms would be 1 per adult in each room per cruise... Shorter cruises could be limited to the 375ml purchases.

As long as prices are reasonable, I would gladly see much stronger and thorough smuggling policing... In the end, we really are just talking about that pre-dinner cocktail in general.

I think it is ridiculous. If folks have to have a special wine - I see no reason for them not to be able to bring it on board. The same about being able to buy a special liqour and having it in the cabin.

To use the rational that some people do not drink responsibly does not make sense. To use that - every hotel in the country would prohibit guests from drinking in their rooms because drunks have been known to fall, jump or be pushed over balconies. I live in a resort area - we have at least one or 2 every year.

Other cruise lines manage. It would probably help reduce smuggling which I find it also ridiculous that if I bring my small bottle of liquour for after dinner on board it is considered smuggling. :rolleyes:

I totally agree that RCL should allow passengers to be able to either buy a duty free bottle for cabin consumption and allow at least one bottle of wine bought in ports.

One bottle will not cause falling overboard drunks responsible wine and liquor drinkers will follow the guidelines, however, I do not think this cruise line will alter the policy they are making a good profit from the bars and I have seen falling down inebriated passengers served at the pool bars so it is not a question of folk getting too drunk it is a question of profit regardless of physical status when buying

Kathleen

How sad that you find that statement funny. Of course there had to be someone on the RCI board that couldn't let a civilized conversation take place about alcohol.

Yet another example why there is an Ignore feature on CC. This guy has a place on my ignore list.

Its a great idea but I can imagine the few who overindulge and fall overboard. Thus creating bad headlines for RCCL.

I do believe it is a liability issue...it's a shame, there are many that enjoyed that privillage...as well as the drink card...do you remember that...you bought a card for a certain price and recieved a discount on bar drinks....I thought that was a great idea...but all good things must come to an end.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']If they did start allowing it again, and allowing you to bring on a reasonable amount of Wine, they'd get our business back, but not until then will we set foot on an RCI Ship. Lots of others feel the same way.[/quote]

And we've all really missed you! (See you are still reading the RCCL boards.)

On my recent weekend cruise, I bought two bottles of coconut rum in the ship's liquor store and brought them both back to my room. We didn't open them and consume them on the premises, but actually packed them in our luggage (flying home) to take back. But....we could've opened them. So...what's the deal?

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Why wouldn't I? try and stick to the topic rather than my posting pattern.[/quote]

I think it was you who were not on topic. No one asked where you had been or why you were no longer cruising RCCL. If you are hanging around waiting for a 2005 policy change to be reversed it's probably not going to happen. I'm sorry if that offends you.

[quote name='fredmdcruisers']I think it was you who were not on topic. No one asked where you had been or why you were no longer cruising RCCL. If you are hanging around waiting for a 2005 policy change to be reversed it's probably not going to happen. I'm sorry if that offends you.[/quote]

It doesn't offend me, I just think it's a totally stupid post. I would gladly sign any petition to do away with this stupid rule. When they do, they'll get my business back, how is that not relavent? RCI should be aware of how many people they've turned off cruising with them because of this.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']It doesn't offend me, I just think it's a totally stupid post. I would gladly sign any petition to do away with this stupid rule. When they do, they'll get my business back, how is that not relavent? RCI should be aware of how many people they've turned off cruising with them because of this.[/quote]
Probably a lot fewer than you think have such a problem with this than you do. Everyone who sails with RCL has learned to live with it.

[quote name='mugsy242']At least it helps keep the drunken, disruptive behavior of guests under control - if any one is over-served, Royal Caribbean is responsible, and they must deal with it accordingly. I think this will be the future of cruising.[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote name='Cruisinfanatic']Probably a lot fewer than you think have such a problem with this than you do. Everyone who sails with RCL has learned to live with it.[/quote]

And yet I didn't start this topic. Merely posted that fact that they are indeed losing passengers because of it.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']And yet I didn't start this topic. Merely posted that fact that they are indeed losing passengers because of it.[/quote]

They may well be losing some passengers but I believe that they have factored those losses into their decision making process before deciding to implement the policy. Some of those who are turned off by the policy are those whose business they are probably not sorry to see disappear, namely the ones whose abuse of their previous policy created so many problems. Some are merely innocent victims of the policy whose loss they probably do regret but they apparently feel that it is the price they are willing to pay in order to control a situation that had gotten out of control.
Actually many factors play a role in one's decision whether or not to sail with a particular line. A strict liquor control policy may be one of those factors but is perhaps not as high on the list of reasons as you believe.:)

Archived