Black pudding

sparkyrmc

I went to try out Fred Olsen, last year and ordered Black Pudding, when it came the sausage was no more than 3cms (1.5 inches) in diameter but it was cut wafer thin with a mandolin and then cut in half so it was half moon shape. What is happening in this world. it was like a crisp. yuk

How does it usually come?

Settled here after 24yrs Regular service then 9yrs Territorial service, i spend my time either Yachting or if i feel lazy which i frequently do i let other people do the work by cruising

Ah - you beat my regular service by 1 year and my TA service by 5.

J

Can we also get white pudding, fruit pudding (the breakfast type), Lothian (Lorne) sausage and, of course, haggis for breakfast? All of these are traditional items in a Scottish breakfast.

Has anyone been able to get devilled kidneys for breakfast?

Imitation bacon????? Why would they make, or anyone buy such rubbish

Well they buy loads of tofu, soy protein, and bean curd etc carefully shaped and textured to look like hamburgers, meat loaf, sausages, and what have you. And I presume people buy it - although, like you, Capn' I can't imagine why.

J

Can we also get white pudding, fruit pudding (the breakfast type), Lothian (Lorne) sausage and, of course, haggis for breakfast? All of these are traditional items in a Scottish breakfast.

Now your talking!!!

I'll investigate that list in April and report back.

J

I believe that Friday breakfast speciality is Devilled Kidneys, which are excellent. I always thought a Scottish breakfast was a half and a half, if ye ken wha I mean

Capn' - a 100% liquid breakfast would be desparately uncivilised. One should always have something solid to start with. In my wild youth, before gettin' tore intae the hard stuff again, I would partake of a small sandwich - usually an aspirin between two paracetamol.

J

Capn' - a 100% liquid breakfast would be desparately uncivilised. One should always have something solid to start with. In my wild youth, before gettin' tore intae the hard stuff again, I would partake of a small sandwich - usually an aspirin between two paracetamol.

J

Stylish, Jimmy stylish

Not to be an anorak, the pigs blood is mixed with cereal and seasoning and then put into casings which traditionally were the intestines of the animal. These are then knotted in 8inch or so links and boiled in salted water for 20 minutes. It is then ready to eat. Most people then would tend to slice and fry the sausage prior to eating. I don't believe the delicacy started life in Germany, Leeds I thought. ;)

Please note they do taste a lot better than they sound :). I like mine boiled, frying them makes them a bit dry for me.

Please note they do taste a lot better than they sound :). I like mine boiled, frying them makes them a bit dry for me.

In the south we wrap ours in cardboard and then cook them in the oven on 180 for 30 mins. We then take them out, throw the pudding away and eat the cardboard because it tastes a bloody site better than the pudding.

Glenn.

In the south we wrap ours in cardboard and then cook them in the oven on 180 for 30 mins. We then take them out, throw the pudding away and eat the cardboard because it tastes a bloody site better than the pudding.

Glenn.

Glenn, is that a pre-tied bow tie that you are wearing in your picture? You let the south down.;)

Glenn, is that a pre-tied bow tie that you are wearing in your picture? You let the south down.;)

Unfortunately the bow ties are not my choice. I have to wear the same colour as my wife's dress on that particular evening. The upside is that I will be at the bar that much quicker than you. Ha.

Glenn.

Unfortunately the bow ties are not my choice. I have to wear the same colour as my wife's dress on that particular evening. The upside is that I will be at the bar that much quicker than you. Ha.

Glenn.

A poor excuse by a black pudding bigot, I have ties in all the colours of the rainbow and not one of them has a hook or elastic.

Well we bear a striking similarity to each other, although he looks more like me than I do him and I once knew a girl called the Black Pig.

I only asked because i live half a mile from John Ryan who invented him.

I think i knew that girl too.

Glenn.

Not wishing to cause any offence with word meanings, but I have not seen ******s on the cruise ships either, meat balls are not the same, maybe someone should start an offal diner on the ships:D The word obviously did cause offence, we don't call them meatballs in the UK and they are different, and normally served with chips and peas, or mash and onion gravy

Not wishing to cause any offence with word meanings, but I have not seen ******s on the cruise ships either, meat balls are not the same, maybe someone should start an offal diner on the ships:D The word obviously did cause offence, we don't call them meatballs in the UK and they are different, and normally served with chips and peas, or mash and onion gravy

We had a discussion about fagg0ts on another thread some time ago. It's a difficult subject to discuss because the thought-police software keeps deleting the word. I would go for the offal dinner suggestion but I'd be very limited in the types of offal I could consume. Fagg0ts would be fine, as would black pudding, and haggis. The strange thing is that I can eat all of those things but I would be hard pressed to eat most of their constituent ingredients on their own without throwing up.

J

Archived