Anyone have pics of Sun Cabin 1002 or 1202?

S&S Cruisers 1983

I may not have been the best judge since I was fighting a sinus infection the whole trip which clogged up my ears but the only time I heard anything was once in the bathroom when I was ummmm, resting and notice the very low sound of music....and suddenly realized that it was probably coming from the lounge overhead. DDP says he doesn't recall hearing anything. Maybe next trip you can give it a whirl!

Edited by Clay Clayton

Clay, Did you hear any music from the Observation Lounge? I must admit that I took a good long look at these cabins but DH was concerned that they might be below the dance floor in the Observation Lounge.

(We eventually decided to book a B1, so we fully expect to live happily ever after.:))

We had no noise at all in this room. Liked it so much we booked it for 3 more cruises

Edited by RNPJN

Clay, Did you hear any music from the Observation Lounge? I must admit that I took a good long look at these cabins but DH was concerned that they might be below the dance floor in the Observation Lounge.

We had no noise at all in this room. Liked it so much we booked it for 3 more cruises

polySeraph...

We also did not hear any noise... it was a great cabin.

I see from your signature that you are cruising the Sun to Norway, Faroes, Iceland, etc. We took the Sun on that itinerary last year... such a great itinerary!!

Edited by Pennhoo

LOL - that picture actually is of us.

That is TOO funny! :D Does umpy10 know that he took your picture?

Since this is your first cruise, you should try to get your roll call group to do a cabin crawl - they will all be envious and you can get a good overview of the other offerings.

I finally posted on our roll call tonight. They are considering a cabin crawl, and I have convinced my husband that we should join in. (YEAH!) He had serious doubts for a long time. He wants this room to be our little secret. (shh!) ;)

I think he's already decided that we're going to do many more cruises in THIS cabin! ...and we have no guarantee that we'll even LIKE cruising! (Although I'm pretty sure we'll love it.)

Hope you enjoy your first one!

Thanks so much. I can't wait!! ...well, except that I still need to pack! :eek:

polySeraph...

We also did not hear any noise... it was a great cabin.

I see from your signature that you are cruising the Sun to Norway, Faroes, Iceland, etc. We took the Sun on that itinerary last year... such a great itinerary!!

Well, I have a confession to make. :o I had tremendous cruise envy when I first saw your itinerary. I even lurked on your roll call a little and despaired. (It looked like you had a great group!) DH and I had just come back from South America and were still repairing the damage to our cruise fund when we discovered your itinerary, so alas, it was not to be!

So, imagine how thrilled we were when NCL offered the itinerary again. We booked our aft balcony last year on the first business day after Christmas. (It was our Christmas present to each another.) We did take a long, hard look at 1002 and 1202 but like I said earlier, DH was concerned about the Observation Lounge being upstairs. I definitely see us taking the Sun again some day, and now that I know that noise is not a concern, I am definitely interested in trying those staterooms.

And who knows, maybe DH (aka "Gramps") and I will be upstairs partying like it's the 1970's again, anyway.

Ms.Flo

Ump knows it was us - we enjoyed getting to know him on here pre-cruise and then in person along with his better half aboard. They had a port minisuite a few doors away. It wasn't until I saw his pictures that I found out they had spent so much time uptop....if I had of known, we would have invited them to join us on our balcony...but we figured they were on theirs.

Be active on your roll call, we have made several great friends, a couple of whom we see both on and off ships and even if there are some duds, it is not like you are marrying them or something. The cabin crawl is a great way to see the variety of cabins and determine what you can and can't live with. As far as keeping these rooms secret, I think that is out at least on CC but the nice thing is, they don't seem to show up as available on NCL's or online TA's websites when they give you a list of available rooms...only when you put in the room numbers specifically. I figure maybe they have it set up that way in the hopes that someone who is booking the Owner's Suite next door will want them (they have connecting doors to both the Suite and the minisuite) so they can bring a whole family along.

Regarding packing, just remember the old adage, put out everything you are going to pack on the bed, look at it, then put half of it away before you put it in your suitcase!

polySeraph

Having done 9077 on the stern on our 'round the horn trip, you will enjoy it in the Baltics - especially if it is cool while you are there - the lack of wind made it very nice for those days around the Falklands! But given NCL raised the price on the aft facing staterooms, I am glad we found another wonderful stateroom.

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Sun in room 1202. We loved the size of the room and the additional balcony space. The cabin reminded us, size wise of the mini's we've stayed in the past. The views were amazing from the balcony. We've also cruised afts and we found that there was more wind in the front, but partly due to a couple of days of rough weather. Having the cabin right beside the Owner's Suite makes your balcony even more fun....expensive real estate up there. ;)

A couple of times people from the observation deck spoke to us when we were on the balcony, but most of the time no one was there. We usually noticed more people when we were pulling in to port and at sail away.

One night I noticed faint music from the observation lounge, but nothing that kept us awake. Most evenings we didn't hear anything above us.

Overall a great cabin!!:)

Well, I have a confession to make. :o I had tremendous cruise envy when I first saw your itinerary. I even lurked on your roll call a little and despaired. (It looked like you had a great group!) DH and I had just come back from South America and were still repairing the damage to our cruise fund when we discovered your itinerary, so alas, it was not to be!

Only two differences for your cruise... you don't get to port in Belfast... however, you do get to embark and debark in Copenhagen... I would have loved to visit that city... someday!!!

And speaking of confessions... :o... your cruise list is a wish list of cruises for me!!

We had cabin 1202 for this cruise and it was absolutely great... and as ks&ks said, it is a bit more windy up front... but well worth it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their posts in this thread. We just returned from a cruise on the NCL Star out of Tampa (we live in the Tampa bay area and wanted to try this port instead of driving to Miami) and took advantage of the Cruise Rewards offered onboard. We liked the itinerary for the Sun in fall of 2012 - Southern Caribbean - and decided to see what was available. We had gotten an upsell from an AFT balcony to an AFT penthouse on the Star and my DH stated his preference for an AFT cabin.

As we were working with our PCC and saw the pricing for the AFT balconies and mini suites, I found cabins 1002 and 1202. We decided to book 1202 based on price and everyone's comments. Thanks so much and I now have something to look forward to in the next 12 months...

Jeanne

DH and I just booked one of these forward BCs on one of the Sun's new Alaska itineraries in 2013. :D We are so excited about seeing what the Captain sees as we cruise Glacier Bay. And who knows. . . maybe I'll do the Kate Winslet flying thing (from the movie Titanic) when no-one's looking. :p A BIG THANK YOU to all my CC friends for the great advice on these cabins!

DH and I just booked one of these forward BCs on one of the Sun's new Alaska itineraries in 2013. :D We are so excited about seeing what the Captain sees as we cruise Glacier Bay. And who knows. . . maybe I'll do the Kate Winslet flying thing (from the movie Titanic) when no-one's looking. :p A BIG THANK YOU to all my CC friends for the great advice on these cabins!

Couldn't think of a better cabin. We will be on our 3rd trip in 1202 in 5 weeks!! I did the Titanic pose around Cape Horn, excellent.

Regards

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently booked one of the forward BC's as well for our 2013 AK cruise. Looking forward to it!

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the exact sqare footage of 1002 or 1202? Are they larger than the other BC's?

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you for the info and photos in this thread.

We booked one of the two forward facing balconies on the pool deck for our Alaska cruise on the Sun in June 2013. The photos and info made the decision easy.

I called Norwegian and they told me the stateroom size is 215 sq ft and balcony is 93 sq ft versus the regular balcony staterooms that have 173 sq ft and 48 sq ft balcony. The stern balconies were not an option since there are four of us.

The Sun was our very first Norwegian cruise (in then AC 9076). Very happy to be sailing on her once again and looking forward to this Alaska itinerary which is northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. One day each cruising Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and long port times in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

I have searched and searched for some pictures and can't find any. They are the only forward BA's on the pool deck, shaped differently than the other BA's and I am dying to know what they are like. I hope someone out there has some pics? I asked a while ago with no results, so I thought that I would try again!

Here are pictures of mini-suite #1210 on the SUN.....There was plenty of room in the cabin, and the bathroom and walkin closet was fantastic. The balcony was great to sit and watch everything.

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/Doughboy139/NCL%20Sun%20Mini-Suite%201210/

• 1 year later...

I am considering one of these two cabins for an Alaskan cruise.

In looking at a few pics, it looks like there is an extended partition between cabins for privacy.

For those that have been in these, how much of the view do these kill? Seems like they may create a tunnel effect.

See pics in post #13 and #22.

Thank you.

That is my flattop you can see standing on "MY" balcony in Ump's picture on post 22. The partitions don't interfer IMHO at all. Since you see where you are going, you will see everything. They are great cabins...if you can grab one, I sure would!

I have been trying to find one for a Panama canal cruise without luck....

I wouldn't hesitate to book one of these cabins again. I think the partition's effect on the view was minor. I think I tended to look far enough in front of us that the lose of peripheral scenery wasn't an issue at all. It could possibly be an issue if you're sitting in port & want to see something that is beside the ship, but other than that...

On the other hand, the extended partition had a major effect on the privacy of the balcony. I actually missed it on our last cruise. I felt very exposed with the basic/regular partitions. I was relieved when our neighbors weren't on their balconies at the same time I went out on ours, because I felt like I would have been intruding on them otherwise.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise!

I am currently on the Sun in one of those two cabins at this moment. When I'm standing at the railing, the view is SPECTACULAR. When I'm in the cabin itself looking out, there is a very minor "tunnel effect" from the partitions. I don't think it's a drawback in the least; in fact, DH and I love this cabin so much that we have been checking out all the Sun's itineraries, trying to find another reason to book this cabin again.

I am currently on the Sun in one of those two cabins at this moment. When I'm standing at the railing, the view is SPECTACULAR. When I'm in the cabin itself looking out, there is a very minor "tunnel effect" from the partitions. I don't think it's a drawback in the least; in fact, DH and I love this cabin so much that we have been checking out all the Sun's itineraries, trying to find another reason to book this cabin again.

Thinking about taking the Sun to Alaska in the future. How is the cruise going? Will you be reporting back when you return? I am desperately looking for feedback as we would like to do the back-to-back Alaska itinerary.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Italy52

Thinking about taking the Sun to Alaska in the future. How is the cruise going? Will you be reporting back when you return? I am desperately looking for feedback as we would like to do the back-to-back Alaska itinerary.

It's been a great cruise so far. We've had great weather in both Ketchikan and today in Juneau. My husband tells me that the forecast for tomorrow is great weather in Skagway also.

I'm sitting on the balcony watching an eagle fishing just off the bow as I type this. There's room for two loungers, two chairs, and an end table. (Probably more) The privacy screen is keeping the sun out of my eyes. This morning I stepped to the railing and estimated that I have about a 160 degree view...so no tunnel vision at the railing.

I will try to post about the cruise when I return but as we are staying another week in AK after disembarkation, someone might beat me to it. I know there's a lot of interest since these are new itineraries so I'll check when I get back and if no one else has done so, I'll be happy to answer a few questions.

It's been a great cruise so far. We've had great weather in both Ketchikan and today in Juneau. My husband tells me that the forecast for tomorrow is great weather in Skagway also.

I'm sitting on the balcony watching an eagle fishing just off the bow as I type this. There's room for two loungers, two chairs, and an end table. (Probably more) The privacy screen is keeping the sun out of my eyes. This morning I stepped to the railing and estimated that I have about a 160 degree view...so no tunnel vision at the railing.

I will try to post about the cruise when I return but as we are staying another week in AK after disembarkation, someone might beat me to it. I know there's a lot of interest since these are new itineraries so I'll check when I get back and if no one else has done so, I'll be happy to answer a few questions.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your cruise; Alaska is one of our favorite places. Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I have searched and searched for some pictures and can't find any. They are the only forward BA's on the pool deck, shaped differently than the other BA's and I am dying to know what they are like. I hope someone out there has some pics? I asked a while ago with no results, so I thought that I would try again!

You have the perfect location. We were in mini suite 1204 in 2011 and loved the location. It is convenient and very quiet as there are not too many cabins on that deck. I booked a forward PH for our 2015 cruise on the Sun but got one on deck 9. The balcony is enormous and I can't wait!

We had one of these rooms in January of 2012 and it was fabulous. As big as a mini suite, but with a regular balcony cabin bathroom. The balcony is very large and you can see a lot. We regularly had 6 people on our balcony and never felt crowded. Because our room was larger than most it ended up being the meeting point. Plus it was very convenient to be on the same deck as the pool and buffet. My husband was very happy with that.