Anyone have pics of Sun Cabin 1002 or 1202?

S&S Cruisers 1983

• 2 weeks later...
Hello - just booked cabin 11202 on the Sun for a western caribbean cruise. Wondering if there are any more pics out there? Thanks!

These are from its twin 11002 or 1002, as NCL dropped the first 1 on my documents. Pics taken in March. Should be the same as your cabin except maybe flipped. Great cabin! Booked it again for next February. :D

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/mrssquirrel2000/library/Sun%20Cabin%201002%20Pics

• 2 months later...
Wow, someone resurrected my thread from 2009. We loved the cabin and have been in it twice. Our favorite of all cabins!

This thread has been resurrected a couple of times! It's just that good!! :D Thanks so much for starting it, Sharon. I was excited to find it before we went on our first cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

I laughed when I saw the comment about this thread being resurrected - I first read it a couple years ago when I first found cruise critic and was planning my first cruise on the Sun. We took an aft balcony (0266, back when they were still BDs and cheaper), but I had my eye on this one...I'm happy to say that I booked it for my cruise next year :D Now I only have to count down some 460-something days...in the meantime, I come here to look at the pictures...;)

Thanks for resurrecting this. We're in the OS on the 22nd Dec cruise and my Mum is in the cabin next door. We're going to leave the connecting door open to turn the suite into more like a 2 bed so we can share the lounge. We were a little bit worried about the balcony cabin being OK for mum, but these pictures have set my mind at rest, she'll be very happy with all that space !

• 8 months later...

I just booked 1202 for an October 2015 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise and then read that it can be noisy. Is this cabin below a show room? Never thought to check...if so is there loud music all night?

I am aware that it can be windy but we just returned from a PC cruise on the Pearl in a bow cabin and the wind was not bad at all. Hoping that by the end of October the rainy season will be over in Mexico and the humidity will not be high.

If in fact this cabin is noisy is there a better cabin/mini suite on that deck? It looks like those cabins are all different shapes so I did not know how to choose one of them and therefore picked the bow BC since it is reported to be larger than a mini suite and has that great balcony..... we are light sleepers however and noise would not be welcomed.

I just booked 1202 for an October 2015 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise and then read that it can be noisy. Is this cabin below a show room? Never thought to check...if so is there loud music all night?

I've stayed in that cabin. It's fabulous. It is located below the Observation Deck which is an open deck forward of the Observation Lounge. There was music in that venue most evenings but I never heard a thing in the cabin below.

Been in its twin and are booked in "your" cabin for our PC cruise next year. The only time I heard anything from the Observation Lounge was pre-dinner and only while I was in the bathroom. It was a very low sound and not at all bothersome. Since the OL isn't usually the scene of any late night shows, I wouldn't think about changing cabins...they are the best balconies in the fleet, IMHO.

• 6 months later...

Just came back from a terrific Thanksgiving cruise on the Sun - a ship I love! I found out about this room in 2010, after I had booked an aft balcony for my first cruise...four cruises later, the Sun was coming to Tampa, and 430 days out :p in August of 2013, I was lucky enough to book this awesome room.

Booking so early, I paid a price I was happy with - as a teacher, I travel during the popular times, and I figured the price would likely go up. However, the price dropped quite a bit, and I was nervous to cancel and rebook - I was afraid I'd lose the room. So...I probably could've had a mini-suite for the price I ended up paying (but booking so early I got double Latitude points, lol). That being said...

The Good :D - This was my third trip on the Sun, and I've stayed in an aft balcony, a side balcony and this room. The room was larger than both the aft and side balconies, and decorated much nicer than either. The furniture, the curtains, the art on the wall, and even the TV were bigger, better, or both. It had a lot of neat lighting options - even dimmer switches! It had the usual balcony amenities of a mini-fridge, coffee maker, and robes.

The balcony itself was awesome! It had two loungers, two chairs, and the small table with plenty of space between - in comparison, the aft balcony had all of that, but little walking space. The view when we approached the Sunshine Causeway was amazing! The location was pretty nice - on the 11th, you could walk right out to the pool deck, over to the buffet, or to the spa. It's close to a bank of elevators, making getting around pretty easy. Most nights (you'll read about the two exceptions below), it was wonderfully quiet, and we slept great (I love NCL's beds - I know not everyone agrees).

The Bad :( - it still has the notoriously small Sun bathroom (which actually doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers some). The balcony view is kind of narrowed due to the privacy walls. There is a lot of movement on the 11th floor - and we had some rocking and rolling on this trip. I felt it more in this cabin than any others I have stayed in. The balcony was pretty windy when we were in motion, and we hit some chilly weather, so we weren't able to use it as much as we hoped. The days that we had warm weather, the balcony was awesome, even when we were moving.

The Ugly :mad: - we have did have an issue with noise in this cabin - two actually - but not from the Observation Lounge. The first was the wind - for some reason, one night (the roughest of the trip), the wind was whistling through the door - a solid, piercing whistle. It was awful, and I couldn't stop it - I put cotton balls in my ears and that didn't help. At one point in the middle of the night, the wind actually blew to door open and knocked it off its lower track (DH was able to get it back on). It only happened that one night, but it was bad. Bring ear plugs just in case - we ended up putting the TV on the ship's camera channel, and turned the music up just enough to mask it.

The other was some unbelievably noisy neighbors in the adjoining owner's suite. This room shares a door as it is designed to act as a second bedroom to the suite. The door isn't nearly as soundproof as the wall, and we frequently heard the occupants. They had some kids that would run, jump, and scream. Mostly it was in the afternoon, so it wasn't that big a deal, but the last night, they had a party going until at least 1:30 in the morning, and those kids were letting out blood-curdling screams as they were playing some game. It was so bad that I was about to call someone when I heard their phone ring. The noise settled down somewhat after that, so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one kept awake that night. I'm pretty sure that neighbors that bad are a rarity, so I offer this more as a cautionary tale...the noise through that door could go both ways :eek:

I'm really glad I had a chance to sail in this unique room, but I'm not so sure I would book as early or at as high a price to do so again.

Edited by bostongal965

I recently called my travel agent and paid for an upgrade from an inside to a low priced balcony. I decided to come online and research the room 1002 when imagine to my surprise what an amazing steal I have found. I can't wait to try my first balcony and to surprise my mom when she finds out we upgraded!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I just signed up on Cruise Critics after reading your reviews. I was looking for info on stateroom 1002 because we will be there this upcoming July for 2 weeks!

We are very excited about this trip and I just loved to see the photos. So I created an account on Cruise Critics to thank all the people who took the time to post some and tell their stories.

I will make sure to add some when we come back!

Happy sailings everyone! :)

• 1 month later...
Congrats! You hit the jackpot with your first balcony....just be warned, you will be spoiled for all future cruises!

Hi Clay.

Do you have any photos of the 1202 bathroom? I know that it is the same size as the rest of the balcony staterooms on board, but I would appreciate photos of it anyway. This will be our cruise no. 4 on the Sun, but we have never been in a regular balcony cabin on her, "only" mini-suites. So uncertain about what to expect.....

Thank you!

A.

Edited by TrumpyNor

• 1 year later...
Hi Sharon,

We had stateroom 1202. We loved it. It had a huge balcony and lots of space in the room. We did our cruise Oct. 24 last year. We are also thinking of doing the same week as you. We might wait until the last month to book. Last year the prices dropped $1000 at that time. Also with the economy the way it is I want to make sure I am working at that time.

I checked out you Roll Call and it is going strong. We sailed with Kent last year. He is a great guy. Tell him I said hi. :)

We loved the stateroom until the last day. The Sea was rough and the ship really rocked coming back to SF. I thought I was going to get sick.

That would be the only reason I wouldn't book it again. I have always had the middle of the ship and have been in rougher seas and never felt like that. When we went to dinner I felt better but as soon as I came back to the room My head started spinning. My wife did some sun tanning on the balcony and only about 3 days it was to windy to use..

We compared rooms with one of the suites on the side and our room was bigger. They actually want to trade rooms with us.

Here are some pictures of the room and balcony.

Room1.jpg?t=1235671340

Room2.jpg?t=1235671415

Room3.jpg?t=1235671692

Thanks for posting the pictures. Being a few years after the fact. I'm glad I found the pictures :D

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2013 at 1:33 AM, Steve and Sharon said:

Wow, someone resurrected my thread from 2009. We loved the cabin and have been in it twice. Our favorite of all cabins!

Your original post is still helping fellow cruisers today!  I had looked everywhere for the 411 on these forward BC cabins and after reading this thread I’m very excited I booked 1002 for a January cruise.  

• Like 1