confused by some charges

seatraveler24

Hello, I received a brochure from Oceania with the 5th anniversary sale and was excited about what appeared to be a great deal. I have been on 41 cruises on 6 different lines and was interested in trying a new line. I had my travel agent call Oceania for pricing and was very confused about their pricing. The promo is for free air and some other bonuses. I was told that the cost would be $259 taxes + $199 for an air add on for a non gateway city. The air add on I can understand,but how can the taxes be $259 a person flying from Pittsburgh to Miami? Do they provide first class air? I can fly to Miami for less than $259.

I also wanted to know if the cost of the cruise was worth it. The cost of an outside stateroom was equal to a grand suite or better on Celebrity,HAL. I realize that this line is upscale. Is it really worth cost of 3 cruises on another line? Still on the fence about the cruise. Thanks for any input. David:confused:

If you can book your own air cheaper you can take the air credit. ask your TA to price the trip with & without air.

The air is included in the base price but TAXES are not included

Only you can decide if the price is worth it.

People that love Oceania it is not a problem.

The cabins are smaller than the mass market ships ...the ship is also smaller= no long lines

There are less people onboard ...684 passengers

Limited smoking areas only 2 ...which appeals to many cruisers

No children's programs = limited children ...which appeals to many cruisers

no surcharges for specialty dining

You can anywhere on the ship in a matter of minutes not days ;) like on the larger ships

It is all about personal preferences

Have a search through for forum for other comparisons to the other lines you mentioned

For us ..if we had a choice to do 1 Oceania cruises or 3 mass market lines ...it would be no contest ;)

Oceania would win hands down ...but that is just us

Lyn

Hello, I received a brochure from Oceania with the 5th anniversary sale and was excited about what appeared to be a great deal. I have been on 41 cruises on 6 different lines and was interested in trying a new line. I had my travel agent call Oceania for pricing and was very confused about their pricing. The promo is for free air and some other bonuses. I was told that the cost would be $259 taxes + $199 for an air add on for a non gateway city. The air add on I can understand,but how can the taxes be $259 a person flying from Pittsburgh to Miami? Do they provide first class air? I can fly to Miami for less than $259.

I also wanted to know if the cost of the cruise was worth it. The cost of an outside stateroom was equal to a grand suite or better on Celebrity,HAL. I realize that this line is upscale. Is it really worth cost of 3 cruises on another line? Still on the fence about the cruise. Thanks for any input. David:confused:

I agree..Oceania's pricing can be very confusing.

We booked the Regatta TA from Miami to Barcelona. If we include air, there is no "add-on" since we're leaving from PHL (a gateway city), but there are charges that amount to $329. If we opt not to take their air, we not only do not pay the $329, but we also get an air credit from Oceania of $600. So in essence, by not taking their "free air" we save $929. I think I can get air on our own for less than that (plus we'd have to add another $75 pp to do air deviation). For the time being, I've had my agent include Oceania's air, but I can get my own and remove their air before final payment without penalty. If I find air less expensive, I will book my own.

What you need to do is add together the fees, air add on, and the credit you'd get if you don't take their air. See if it amounts to more than you can get on your own. If you have them remove the fees, air add on, and give you the air credit, you'll get a more accurate price for your cruise.

Jo-Ann

I agree..Oceania's pricing can be very confusing.

We booked the Regatta TA from Miami to Barcelona. If we include air, there is no "add-on" since we're leaving from PHL (a gateway city), but there are charges that amount to $329. If we opt not to take their air, we not only do not pay the $329, but we also get an air credit from Oceania of $600. So in essence, by not taking their "free air" we save $929. I think I can get air on our own for less than that (plus we'd have to add another $75 pp to do air deviation). For the time being, I've had my agent include Oceania's air, but I can get my own and remove their air before final payment without penalty. If I find air less expensive, I will book my own.

What you need to do is add together the fees, air add on, and the credit you'd get if you don't take their air. See if it amounts to more than you can get on your own. If you have them remove the fees, air add on, and give you the air credit, you'll get a more accurate price for your cruise.

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann,

If you have air on your booking now, and you decide to take care of your own air arrangements later on, the air credit may not be the same as it is now. It will be subject to the applicable air allowance at the time of the change.

Shari

Okay...here's my take:

Yeah, it IS a little misleading...and it IS a little on the expensive side--at least compared to the big ship lines...and it's a bargain compared to some of the "premiums" like Seabourne or SilverSeas or Regent...

It is what it is...

Best thing to do is not to worry about the advertising gimmicks, the "come-ons", the rhetoric...Call your travel agent and just ask for the bottom line price--"apples for apples", with air and without air ...Yes, "free air" is just a marketing gimmick--NOTHING is ever free--you pay for it some way...With Oceania, they call it "included", but they give you a credit to waive it and book your own...and they do seem to charge a very high number for "fees and taxes"...

But, it's not like you can negotiatiate it...So, just consider it part of the price--the same way you get a quote for any other cruise line...

Personally, I love Celebrity and find them to be excellent value for the money...If they had the same itinerary at the same dates, I likely may have booked with them...but it wasn't an option...This is just another good option... I book my cruises for the itinerary and time of year (my vacation window opportunities are limited)...and Oceania provides a very good product...but I'm certainly not choosing it, when I do, for the low price or bargain rates...If that were my main criteria, I'd probably be cruising with Carnival (Heavens forbid!)...

Sure, I wouldn't mind if Oceania offered me a bargain...But, remember, "bargains" are relative...You can only compare their current sale offerings to what they've usually been charging...Not to other lines...Compared to those rates, they are bargains...

I'd take one of those discounts...but I am committed to one of the few sailings they don't seem to be discounting...

Whether the Oceania included (not free) air is worthwhile or not depends on where you live and the itinerary. If you live on the coast close to your destination (e.g. New York to London round trip), then you are likely better off taking the air rebate and fly on your own. On the other hand, if you live on the opposite coast, and your itinerary requires "open jaw" flights (e.g. Sam Francisco to Venice then Athens back to San Francisco), then you are likely better off (by several hundred dollars) taking the included air. The fact is, Oceania charges the same from any gateway city in U.S., and flying "open jaw" on your own usually costs more than "round trip". So take those factors into consideration.

I agree with Bruin Steve's comment on Celebrity versus Oceania. We will sail Celebrity when the price is right (Celebrity is a gentle mass market line and especially the smaller older ships are quite acceptable), but we will avoid Carnival and the like (activity mass market lines) as we would rather not cope with the "activity"!

For us ..if we had a choice to do 1 Oceania cruises or 3 mass market lines ...it would be no contest ;)

Oceania would win hands down ...but that is just us

Lyn

Me too! ;)

Jana

Oceania Cruises "free" air is not free at all. Personally I find their advertising more misleading then any other cruise line I have priced. If the air were truly free, then the cruise only price and the price with air should be the same (except for taxes perhaps).

In reality, if you go to their website and price out the exact same cruise with air and then cruise only, there is a substantial difference in price, and not just the taxes. The cruise price itself increases when the "free air" is added.

While I realize Oceania has a nice product, this type of pricing deception really turns me off to the line.

Ernie

...If the air were truly free, then the cruise only price and the price with air should be the same (except for taxes perhaps).

If this were true, it would be unfair to the passengers who don't need the air because they would be paying for all the other passengers to fly free.

...The cruise price itself increases when the "free air" is added....

The price for the cruise always includes the air. The website does not show any prices for any cruise without the air. In order to get the price of the cruise, you will have to ask your travel agent for the amount of the air credit, then subtract that from the cruise fare shown on the website (or from the fare your agent quoted you, if less). The closer you get to the time of sailing, the more possibility that the air will NOT be included and you will pay for the full price of the cruise without getting the air. In this case, your belief would be true.

All of the details are disclosed on the Oceania web site, thus the only deception is your perception.

The price for the cruise always includes the air. The website does not show any prices for any cruise without the air. In order to get the price of the cruise, you will have to ask your travel agent for the amount of the air credit, then subtract that from the cruise fare shown on the website (or from the fare your agent quoted you, if less). ....

Actually Don, you're just plain wrong here...

ON the Oceania website, you go to the cruise you're pricing, then click on the icon in the upper right corner that says "Reserve this cruise"...

You get a screen that now has a "pull down" that says "Select Air Option" in the upper right corner that gives you two very distinct options:

"Air Requested" or "Air Declined"...

Following through, you will get two very distinct sets of prices...

For my cruise, for example, for a B1 Veranda with "Air Declined", you get $5249 pp...Choosing a cabin and following through without shore excursions and you get a total price, for two, of $12,754.20...

Now, go back and do the same with "Air Requested"...You get $6199 pp...and, following through in the same manner (using a gateway airport), you get a 2 person total of $15,819.00...

Part of that difference is the DIFFERENT BASE FARE adding $950 pp...another part is the "Air Related: Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee" of $414 pp...Both of these charges do not appear on the "Air Declined" quote...The bottom line difference is that the "Free Air" really costs $1364 per person...

The prices quoted right on the Oceania website confirm this...long before you ever have to check with a travel agent.

Now, OBVIOUSLY, "Free Air" is a ruse, no matter how you try to justify it...It's not a matter of some people subsidizing or not subsidizing others...THAT occurs to some degree in almost any cruise line air program--because they standardize air prices--A ticket from JFK to Heathrow and a ticket from LAX to Heathrow and a ticket from Dallas to Heathrow do NOT all cost the same...neither do all of the $199 "add-on" cities--from Anchorage to West Palm Beach (and I'd have to pay an extra $199 pp to fly out of Burbank rather than LAX--two airports that are maybe 20 miles apart)...In trying to make things simple, some people are subsidizing others...to some extent...

But, let's just simplify it...

The cruise without air costs one price...

The SAME cruise with "Free Air" costs $1364 MORE...

Free???

Gentlemen-

Do we really have to do this dance every time that somebody plays the Free Air card?

Perhaps, if we were less conciliatory to those amongst us who feel deceived because they make businesss decisions without reading the fine print, then we could put this matter to rest.

If one approaches the Oceania offer in a mature, businesslike way (i.e. not looking to get something for nothing), it boils down to something as simple as this:

Oceania defines "free" as "included in the cost" rather than "having no cost".

Once you have accepted that definition, everything else falls into place rather nicely.

Jo-Ann,

If you have air on your booking now, and you decide to take care of your own air arrangements later on, the air credit may not be the same as it is now. It will be subject to the applicable air allowance at the time of the change.

Shari

Does Oceania typically reduce their air credit if you decline just before final payment? If that is the case, perhaps I should cancel the air portion now (since I probably won't use it anyway)? I was keeping it more as a back-up because air prices on my own aren't available yet and I don't want to get caught paying a ridiculously higher fare if oil prices increase.

I was just thinking that by the time I add the air credit $600 pp, plus the air tax $329, plus the air deviation fee $75, we're already up to $1004 pp, without even adding in if there is any add'l cost for the deviated flights. I'm pretty sure I can get air from PHL to MIA and Barcelona to PHL for less than that. I was just keeping it as insurance in case the fares went up drastically.

But if Oceania reduces their air credit down the road, maybe I should cancel their air now?

Opinions please. We are new to Oceania so I'm not sure what their typical practices are.

Jo-Ann

Actually Don, you're just plain wrong here...

ON the Oceania website, you go to the cruise you're pricing, then click on the icon in the upper right corner that says "Reserve this cruise"...

You get a screen that now has a "pull down" that says "Select Air Option" in the upper right corner that gives you two very distinct options:

"Air Requested" or "Air Declined"...

Following through, you will get two very distinct sets of prices...

For my cruise, for example, for a B1 Veranda with "Air Declined", you get $5249 pp...Choosing a cabin and following through without shore excursions and you get a total price, for two, of $12,754.20...

Now, go back and do the same with "Air Requested"...You get $6199 pp...and, following through in the same manner (using a gateway airport), you get a 2 person total of $15,819.00...

Part of that difference is the DIFFERENT BASE FARE adding $950 pp...another part is the "Air Related: Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee" of $414 pp...Both of these charges do not appear on the "Air Declined" quote...The bottom line difference is that the "Free Air" really costs $1364 per person...

The prices quoted right on the Oceania website confirm this...long before you ever have to check with a travel agent.

Now, OBVIOUSLY, "Free Air" is a ruse, no matter how you try to justify it...It's not a matter of some people subsidizing or not subsidizing others...THAT occurs to some degree in almost any cruise line air program--because they standardize air prices--A ticket from JFK to Heathrow and a ticket from LAX to Heathrow and a ticket from Dallas to Heathrow do NOT all cost the same...neither do all of the $199 "add-on" cities--from Anchorage to West Palm Beach (and I'd have to pay an extra $199 pp to fly out of Burbank rather than LAX--two airports that are maybe 20 miles apart)...In trying to make things simple, some people are subsidizing others...to some extent...

But, let's just simplify it...

The cruise without air costs one price...

The SAME cruise with "Free Air" costs $1364 MORE...

Free???

Thank you! My point exactly and hardly "free air" as advertised. "hondorner" seems clueless and perhaps has never actually used the Oceania website to get the "real" prices. This actually requires registering and going through the booking process.

This has nothing to do with "perception", it's simply a fact.

Ernie

"hondorner" seems clueless

I don't think that was necessary.

At the risk of being completely ignored again, I'd like to point out that if ones head were not turned to jelly by the mere mention of the word "free", we could discuss this in an amicable manner.

Does Oceania typically reduce their air credit if you decline just before final payment? If that is the case, perhaps I should cancel the air portion now (since I probably won't use it anyway)? I was keeping it more as a back-up because air prices on my own aren't available yet and I don't want to get caught paying a ridiculously higher fare if oil prices increase. ....But if Oceania reduces their air credit down the road, maybe I should cancel their air now?

Opinions please. We are new to Oceania so I'm not sure what their typical practices are.

Jo-Ann

We booked our first Oceania cruise only three months before departure (end of May for a September 5 cruise last year), and we received the full air credit amount, unreduced. However, I know that Shari is much, much more experienced with Oceania customs than I, so I have no idea how typical our experience was.

We booked our first Oceania cruise only three months before departure (end of May for a September 5 cruise last year), and we received the full air credit amount, unreduced. However, I know that Shari is much, much more experienced with Oceania customs than I, so I have no idea how typical our experience was.

I spoke with my travel agent, and he said in the five years he's been dealing with Oceania, he's never seen them reduce an air credit. I think I'll just keep things the way they are for now.

Thanks!

Jo-Ann

First, my "mea culpa". Bruin Steve, you are absolutely correct. What I had in mind when I made my statement was the published fares when one looks at a particular cruise's itinerary, then clicks the "Fares" link above. This always shows the total price including the air, if any.

What eroller perhaps does not know is that the air is included as an incentive, and it is entirely possible that Oceania might reduce or remove the air offering from a certain cruise, without changing the published cruise fare as shown on that web page. Thus, it is entirely possible to see a cruise advertised with "free air" and "2 for 1" (another favorite complaint of the glass-half-empty folks), and later see that cruise advertised as "free air" and "reduced" when it changes to a 40% discount instead of 50%, and even later see the "free air" removed and the 40% reduced to 25%. Yet, the cruise fare on the itinerary page does not change.

Or, if you do not opt to take the offered air, you can get a "free" fare reduction in the form of a credit, up until the time they decide the cruise is so popular they will either reduce or eliminate altogether the credit and remove the "free air" option, all without changing the published fare. The bottom line is the same -- you can either take "free" air or an air credit from the published fare, as long as the promotion runs.

Yes, if one continues into the booking section, the options are presented to you. although the options are only those that are currently offered and may change before sailing. Most people do not go that far -- I based my statement on the published fare, which is always the same, whether "free" air is offered, or not. (Obviously, if the published fare is reduced by things like the current "5th anniversary sale" the changes in the published fare will be reflected.)

My error was in stating that one has to get the current credit from one's agent -- I should have stated "booking system", as some do book on line. Getting the amount of the credit from the "book now" online reservation system is the same as getting the amount of the credit from one's agent. That is my only error so far as I know; the rest of my statements are true.

That hardly qualifies me as "clueless".

Don,

I am sorry if my response came off a little harsh. I did not intend it to be personal, merely to point out tht your explanation was in error.

As to the issue of the air credit going down, my thought is that it may or may not do that--cruise lines change their pricing, including the air pricing all the time. Prices are adjusted from time to time based on supply and demand and Oceania is no different--though Oceania typically disguises those price changes as going from "2 for 1" to "40% off" and so on...

I am not sure how Oceania treats removing the air portion, but on MOST cruise lines, the deduction is based on YOUR booking and your confirmation...

I originally booked my June cruise WITH the air and through a travel agent...Later, when I found my own separate air that I was comfortable with, I had the air portion removed...I keep copies of all of my confirmations, so I was able to go back and check.

My ORIGINAL confirmation from Oceania SPECIFICALLY showed "non-commissionable air allowance" at $950 per person and "Air Related: Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee" of $479 per person. When I cancelled the air portion, these two charges were removed from my second confirmation...and my other charges, including cruise fare, remained the same...

Nothing Oceania does would surprise me, but I think they would be hard pressed to change the confirmed cruise fare after specifically breaking it out from the air allowance in the written confirmation.

Just for information purposes, I also had them remove the $1067 for insurance (I can do much better than this rate purchasing my cruise insurance on my own) and the $254 in transfers...I can't necessarily use their transfers anyway as I'm staying extra time in both Barcelona and Istanbul...but I am also fairly certain I can take taxis in both cities for far less than that amount.

The real answer, again, is that it is what it is...Just get the bottom line price for what it is you want--cruise only or cruise with air...and don't worry about how they charge for or account for it...Book the air, then shop around...If you can do better (remember to consider total air charges including fees and taxes for both options), THEN cancel the cruise air...But also remember two other factors in deciding which way to go with air:

1) Using cruise line air means you don't have to purchase nonrefundable tickets until final payment date...

2) Using the cruise line air means you won't know what flights you have and how convenient or inconvenient until they tell you--late in the game--unless you pay extra for a "deviation"...

I also don't think it was necessary to make the comment "thus the only deception is your perception" about my post. Perception had nothing to do with it. I know how to price out a cruise with and without air and read advertising.

I call them like I see them, and I've been taking cruises for 20+ years and have sailed on over 70 cruises. I'm not new to this industry, I'm not naive, and I'm not an Oceania cheerleader.

Personally I expect more from Oceania, after all we are not talking about a used car dealer. Oceania offers a nice product and I would expect a little more truth in their advertising.

Ernie

I also don't think it was necessary to make the comment "thus the only deception is your perception" about my post. ...

I, and others such as Bruin Steve, understand exactly how the Oceania pricing system works. It is clear, based on the information on their website. You consider it deceptive, based on your opinion. I stand by my original remark.

First, my "mea culpa". Bruin Steve, you are absolutely correct. What I had in mind when I made my statement was the published fares when one looks at a particular cruise's itinerary, then clicks the "Fares" link above. This always shows the total price including the air, if any.

What eroller perhaps does not know is that the air is included as an incentive, and it is entirely possible that Oceania might reduce or remove the air offering from a certain cruise, without changing the published cruise fare as shown on that web page. Thus, it is entirely possible to see a cruise advertised with "free air" and "2 for 1" (another favorite complaint of the glass-half-empty folks), and later see that cruise advertised as "free air" and "reduced" when it changes to a 40% discount instead of 50%, and even later see the "free air" removed and the 40% reduced to 25%. Yet, the cruise fare on the itinerary page does not change.

Or, if you do not opt to take the offered air, you can get a "free" fare reduction in the form of a credit, up until the time they decide the cruise is so popular they will either reduce or eliminate altogether the credit and remove the "free air" option, all without changing the published fare. The bottom line is the same -- you can either take "free" air or an air credit from the published fare, as long as the promotion runs.

Yes, if one continues into the booking section, the options are presented to you. although the options are only those that are currently offered and may change before sailing. Most people do not go that far -- I based my statement on the published fare, which is always the same, whether "free" air is offered, or not. (Obviously, if the published fare is reduced by things like the current "5th anniversary sale" the changes in the published fare will be reflected.)

My error was in stating that one has to get the current credit from one's agent -- I should have stated "booking system", as some do book on line. Getting the amount of the credit from the "book now" online reservation system is the same as getting the amount of the credit from one's agent. That is my only error so far as I know; the rest of my statements are true.

That hardly qualifies me as "clueless".

Don, you've been so helpful with regards to my questions about Oceania. I would like to ask your opinion. Based on my previous post regarding air, do you think I should have it removed now rather than later. I'm just nervous that the $600 air credit they are giving me, based on what some here have said, may decrease. Then I'll more or less be stuck with Oceania's air. I'm counting on "getting back", so to speak, $600 air credit plus $329 in air taxes. If you were in this situation, would you cancel the air with Oceania now and try your luck on waiting and getting air on your own (obviously, fares aren't out for next March yet)? We plan to probably get our own air, but were keeping Oceania's as a back-up. I would just be upset if Oceania decided to reduce the air credit.

Jo-Ann

I, and others such as Bruin Steve, understand exactly how the Oceania pricing system works. It is clear, based on the information on their website. You consider it deceptive, based on your opinion. I stand by my original remark.

I stand by comments as well. To me "free" means not having to pay for something. According to Webster's the definition is "provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment" Seems you and Oceania have your own definition, as Oceania's "free air" is without question subject to additional charge or payment compared to taking a cruise without "free air".

I don't think there is any "perception" involved, simply facts.

Ernie

Don, you've been so helpful with regards to my questions about Oceania. I would like to ask your opinion. Based on my previous post regarding air, do you think I should have it removed now rather than later. I'm just nervous that the $600 air credit they are giving me, based on what some here have said, may decrease. Then I'll more or less be stuck with Oceania's air. I'm counting on "getting back", so to speak, $600 air credit plus $329 in air taxes. If you were in this situation, would you cancel the air with Oceania now and try your luck on waiting and getting air on your own (obviously, fares aren't out for next March yet)? We plan to probably get our own air, but were keeping Oceania's as a back-up. I would just be upset if Oceania decided to reduce the air credit.

Jo-Ann

Not Don, but here's MY take:

For any cruise...

ALWAYS book initially with air...

Leave the air intact UNTIL and UNLESS you find AND BOOK a better air deal...

It's a "hedge" against the airfare market...

It's not always true (as some folks seem to think) that you are going to do better on your own. It depends a lot on where you are flying from, what time of year, what day of the week and what route...Certain times of year give rise to airfare wars and sales, others don't...Some departure points have higher fares, some lower...and it often depends on when you book and what's available...

So...you book through the cruise line...then start "shopping"...

Don't jump to book something else because you save a very small amount--it may bot be worth the disadvantages--like having to pay now and have the fare be nonrefundable...

If you find a fare with a sizable price advantage, book it...THEN, go ahead and cancel your cruise air portion...

Base your canceling cruise air on your having other arrangements in place...NOT on some fear that the cruise air deal changes (Again, I don't think they can change the numbers on your confirmation)...

So, the question is...Do you have alterante arrangements in place?

Oh...and to Ernie:

NOTHING is ever "free"...

Especially if it's offered as part of a deal under which you are paying money for something...it's always hidden in the price somewhere...

Yes, I can see where naive or gullible people (and, heavens knows, there are lots of them out there) might INITIALLY see Oceania's ads and think they are getting something for "free", but eventually they figure it out...Just like certain premium cruise lines offering "free drinks" or "free tips"...How "free" are they really when you're paying $18,000 for a seven night cruise? Yes, they are really "included in the price", not truly "free"...But, heck, lots of "included in the price" items are advertised as "free" all over the place: "Free Installation with your purchase of any big screen TV over $1,500", "Free Delivery on your furniture purchase over $2,500 within 10 mile radius of store", "Free Refills" on your soda purchase at a restaurant where a glass of Coke now goes for $3.50...et cetera...

It's all a sales gimmick...and, really, I wish EVERYBODY, including Oceania, would stop using it...Level with us--"Cruse fare with Air" and "Cruise Fare without Air"--total cost...

Problem is, though, they've got to advertise something...and people want to see ads about deals...Face it, "2 for 1" is BS as well..But it's like every other business that advertises "Manufacturer's Suggeted Retail Price" which is always more than double what everyone everywhere is actually selling the item for...Then they can advertise "50% OFF" like they are giving you such a great deal--even though every other store in town is offering it for the same "market" price...

Oceania is really only trying to get you to call them or your travel agent...and they think this come-on works for them...

...I would just be upset if Oceania decided to reduce the air credit.

Jo-Ann

I'm a bit uncomfortable with questions based on "What do you think..." rather than "What do you know...", but having said that, I'll venture a guess, as long as you understand that it's just a guess.

Oceania has always take the position that "free air" and "2 for 1" fares are promotions that can be modified or removed. Traditionally, in a better economy, they have frequently changed the "2 for 1" (which is 50% off the brochure fare) to 40% off the brochure fare, and rarely, they have reduced it to 25% of the brochure fare. They have also taken the position that the air fare can be reduced or eliminated, but I am not aware of them having done so in the two years or so that I have been watching.

I, too, take Shari's warnings seriously, which reinforces my belief that they can reduce the credit or eliminate the air incentive altogether.

So, based on that, what would I do? I would keep the air in place until the flights can be booked -- when is that, 270 days out? 330 days? Whatever, once the flight schedules become available, I would make my decision based on the fares when they are first announced. If I found air fares less than the credit and taxes from Oceania, I would book my own at that early date, and live with that amount even if fares dropped later. I would also request a deviation from Oceania at that date (you can do so without paying the $75 per person fee; that is only due if you accept the deviation). I would compare what Oceania offered me to the fares I found on my own, and choose that option if it was better.

In either case, I'm so confident that the decision would be well within any window when Oceania might change their offer, especially in this economy. Recently, I have been seeing "2 for 1" and "free air" for many cruises right up to the day of sailing. Our ship was nearly full for our recent south American cruise, but not completely full, and I think that trend might continue for some time. And, of course, they recently reduced fares per their "5th anniversary sale", a further indicator that the old days when they reduced incentives are temporarily over.

Even in the best of times with the most popular cruises with demand outstripping supply, Oceania did not reduce their incentives until 6 or 7 months before the cruise. For example, we booked our first Oceania cruise about 6 months prior to sailing, and we did NOT receive the "2 for 1", we got a 40% discount from the brochure rate. However, we did get the free air.

Bottom line? I would not worry about Oceania reducing the air credit until much closer to the cruise date, and probably not at all in this economy. But, if they do reduce it, remember I said it was a guess on my part.

I'm on the same cruise as you, and I had the air removed right from the beginning, because I am 99.99% confident I can get a flight home from Spain for less than $1004 per person. I don't need a flight to Miami. But, when the flight window opens up, I intend to ask O for a deviation proposal anyway, just to make sure I can beat it.

At the risk of being completely ignored again, I'd like to point out that if ones head were not turned to jelly by the mere mention of the word "free", we could discuss this in an amicable manner.

Archived