Do they enforce it.......?

curiouscat

We just got off the Majesty yesterday. We did not bring formal clothes, as we planned on eating in the WJ on formal night this time. The night before, we told our waiter that we would not be there the next night. He tried talking us into coming anyway. We told him we did not have dress clothes with us, and he said that it did not matter. He said we could "come in jeans and t-shirts" if we wanted to, and that it would be just fine.

We ate in WJ. :D

But, we found it interesting. He tried very hard to change our minds -- telling us that we did not have to dress up for formal night.

Because they do not want to lose thier gratuities.

I know this is a sidebar' date=' but what about those guys wearing cowboy hats in MDR? Is this not rude? Maybe there is an exception to the manner's rule I'm not aware of, but I thought that at dinner, in front of a lady you don't wear your hat. Even though I generally find them very manly, along with cowboy boots.[/color'] :p

You are correct. Men should not wear hats or caps (religious headwear the exception) in the dining room. And any good cowboy would know that!

You are correct. Men should not wear hats or caps (religious headwear the exception) in the dining room. And any good cowboy would know that!

...and do you think they would argue with anyone that claimed their specific head covering was worn for a religious or medical reason? It's doubtful. ;)

LOL -- haven't you ever done that? We do the same thing! It's fun to sit and watch people go by, and make up stories about who they are or what they do, by the way they dress or wear their hair! I agree - it's great entertainment!

(I would hate to hear what people say about me though! ;) )

No, I don't feel comfortable making fun of others.

...and do you think they would argue with anyone that claimed their specific head covering was worn for a religious or medical reason? It's doubtful. ;)

Of couse not, that would be rude!

It also bothers me when men wear their caps during the playing of the National Anthem. But, I guess you cannot force someone to remove their hat (unless in they are in the military). I see the failure to remove the hat as a sign of disrespect. The wearer views it as their civil right. It is certainly is a no win situation.

I also think young men are not raised to know they should be removing their hats/caps. They cannot be held accountable for something they don't know.

I really don't notice what people wear in the dining room...with the exception of hats! But, it isn't something I lose sleep over.

Wow!

To each his or her own.

Sounds pretty lame to me but more power to ya:)

Be careful you don't get punched in the nose:D

Oh, no, we're quite cowardly about it. We never say anything loud enough for others to hear. And we're not mean. We just observe. ;)

We always wear suits on formal nights and business casual during other times, but that's just us. We figure if the crew lets people into the dining room with what they have on, why should I be bothered about it. The people at the table next to us in February were all wearing baseball caps during dinner every night and some others wore jeans.

About the cowboy hat discussion, last fall we had a cruise where two of the men from Texas always brought their cowboy hats to dinner and the theatre, didn't bother is in the least, actually they gave us some good laughs as they were very humorous guys.

As long as you dress decently, I think they will let you in.

Regardless of whether it is actually enforced, I still wouldn't dream of disregarding a venue's requested attire.

If you are informed that this is what is expected on a specific evening, how hard is it to comply? Seems rather disrespectful to ignore it, in my opinion.

Some shoreside restaurants request that diners wear a jacket. Since you are paying for your meal, does that give you the right to choose not to wear one? Seems like common respect and courtesy to me. There are some places where it's appropriate to dress casually but a venue that has specifically requested a certain formality of attire is not one of them.

and why should they?

Well, apparently it detracts from some peoples' ability to enjoy their lobster because they are too busy worrying about what other people wear. :D

The only reason I ask is that it's been years since we've been on an RCI ship & I get the distinct impression that it's become much less formal than in the past. We're considering a Bermuda cruise this year since we might be in the NJ area & this is fine by me since I don't care for the formal suit & tie dress up affairs. We can't possibly carry formal clothes because of limited traveling space & do not want to be forced to eat at the buffet.

I always follow the requested dress code as well, but restaurants on land are different. On a cruise, you're pretty limited in where you can eat, and you've already paid for your dinners in the dining room; I would not personally wear jeans on formal night, but I don't care what others wear. On land, if you don't have the 'right" clothes, you go somewhere else. On a boat, you wear what you have and go to the restaurant that you've already paid for.

Sorry but down here it is not considered rude at all. We have formal hats and others that may not be as clean hehehehe

Cheers, from the Lone Star State

Kenn.

The only reason I ask is that it's been years since we've been on an RCI ship & I get the distinct impression that it's become much less formal than in the past. We're considering a Bermuda cruise this year since we might be in the NJ area & this is fine by me since I don't care for the formal suit & tie dress up affairs. We can't possibly carry formal clothes because of limited traveling space & do not want to be forced to eat at the buffet.

Oh yes you can:

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

Just got off the Indy on Sunday and it is ok to not be dressed up. Our waiter even told us the night before to come as we want. My husband just work dockers and a button up shirt, no tie. He just wanted to be comfortable.

Oh yes you can:

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

Normally we just travel to a cruise ship directly but this time we have to fly to NJ first and have to take along more important items & don't have room for unnecessary things. Something has to be left behind so it'll have to be dress clothes.

Sorry but down here it is not considered rude at all. We have formal hats and others that may not be as clean hehehehe

Cheers, from the Lone Star State

Kenn.

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree! I'm from Texas also (Dallas). I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Oh yes you can:

Would be even lees is you did not pack the suit.:D

I would love to see some Good Ole Boys with their cowboy hats get placed at a table with some Boyz From the Hood with their black Yankee hats on sidewise and their jeans halfway below their butts, and all this on formal night.

Is this what cruising has become, if so then I am finished with it.

I would love to see some Good Ole Boys with their cowboy hats get placed at a table with some Boyz From the Hood with their black Yankee hats on sidewise and their jeans halfway below their butts, and all this on formal night.

Is this what cruising has become, if so then I am finished with it.

In answer to your question, yes and goodby.

Have you ever really seen:

1. Good Ole Boys with their cowboy hats.

2. Boyz From the Hood with their black Yankee hats on sidewise and their jeans halfway below their butts.

In the MDR on formal night?

Sounds like another Cruise Critic only "problem" to me:(

Archived