Do they enforce it.......?

curiouscat

Normally we just travel to a cruise ship directly but this time we have to fly to NJ first and have to take along more important items & don't have room for unnecessary things. Something has to be left behind so it'll have to be dress clothes.

Must be smuggling alcohol or something :D

I saw a 14 or 15 year old boy seated wearing knee length low riding jeans with

boxer shorts up to his belly button & backwards baseball cap. It WAS formal night & yes , his parents were with him.

So you saw one out of say 800 people in the MDR.

A Cruise Critic trend, we all need to put a stop to this right now:)

Why would anyone on vacation let something like that bother them?

I guess the guy in the Santa suit in the MDR on formal night would send you right into orbit. He was on our last RCI cruise and seem to be just having some fun.

Just eat your dinner and enjoy your vacation.

A child is a reflection of his/her parents. Manners and respect are taught . This boy will "do his own thing" to the point where he will be excluded or unwelcome at many things thru his life. I don't blame the boy. It's his parents who are the idiots.

I much prefer jeans/casual slacks and a casual shirt/Tee shirt to anything dressier. But I do have a question. If RCCL will allow me to dress that way for Formal nights, WHY don't they simply turn every night into a wear what you want night? That way folks who want to dress up can, every night if they wish, but they will not be able to complain when others don't. Each would be within the dress code

A child is a reflection of his/her parents. Manners and respect are taught . This boy will "do his own thing" to the point where he will be excluded or unwelcome at many things thru his life. I don't blame the boy. It's his parents who are the idiots.

Maybe they feel the same way about you:D

Something like this does not impact my vacation in any way.

If stuff like this really impacts you vacation I feel sorry for you.

Happy cruising...if you can.

I am feeling better after reading this thread. I have only cruised on the Med before and certainly with P & O formal is pretty formal. I also cruised RCI and did dress on formal nights as did most guests I think. This time we are cruising to Mexico after two weeks spent touring California and a quicjk trip to Vegas. We are myself DH and 2 x DS. We come from Scotland and my husband and both boys wear kilts for formal dress, which I ammsure would go down very well, but these things are heavy! Also my DSs don't know about the cruise and would really suspect something if they saw their kilts in the case. I had thought we would have to miss formal nights, but perhaps if I bring dress shirts, trousers and ties we will be fine. My dress would take up no space, but if they are dressed more casually what should I wear? Another thought was to kit them all out from a second hand shop somewhere in LA, but we really don't want the boys to know about the cruise until we are on the ship.

There are several cruise lines in which casual dress is the norm & even advertised. Norwegian's logo shows many white fish swimming one way & a single blue fish swimming the other . They have no formal nights. Carnival will soon follow suit.

No, I don't go into cardiac arrest when I see someone casual on formal night. I just feel we should honor long held traditions. If you choose to stay casual that is your absolute right. There are five or six restaurants on the ship for just that purpose. Why not "choose" to eat in one & let us old farts dress up .We get to do so rarely now a days.

There are several cruise lines in which casual dress is the norm & even advertised. Norwegian's logo shows many white fish swimming one way & a single blue fish swimming the other . They have no formal nights. Carnival will soon follow suit.

No, I don't go into cardiac arrest when I see someone casual on formal night. I just feel we should honor long held traditions. If you choose to stay casual that is your absolute right. There are five or six restaurants on the ship for just that purpose. Why not "choose" to eat in one & let us old farts dress up .We get to do so rarely now a days.

No one is telling you that you can't "dress up" if you please. Do so every night if it makes you happier..

Did you ever ask your self why the people who don't dress like similarly do so & want to eat in the same dining room? I'm sure the answer isn't because they want to antagonize you in the process.

Maybe it just that they're more comfortable not dressing in a suit & tie or gown or it could be (in my case) that I want the better food that the dining room has to offer & not eat in the buffet.

Maybe they feel the same way about you:D

Something like this does not impact my vacation in any way.

If stuff like this really impacts you vacation I feel sorry for you.

Happy cruising...if you can.

Seriously...

And we all know that the boys in the button down shirts and khakis are just angels with perfect parents.

The amount of stereotyping and assuming that goes on on these boards is amazing.

If RCCL will allow me to dress that way for Formal nights, WHY don't they simply turn every night into a wear what you want night? That way folks who want to dress up can, every night if they wish, but they will not be able to complain when others don't.

I think that would be a total disaster. At least having a suggested dress for each evening allows people to plan what they wish to wear. With a wear what you want every night, I think that the people who wish to dress formally would lose out. Keep it as it is. Those that want to dress formally can do so, along with many others. Those that wish to dress more casually can do so and still be welcome in the MDR.

Each would be within the dress code

It's not a dress code, it's a suggestion. Some people cruise for the opportunity to participate in the formal evenings, others to enjoy the relaxing environment of a cruise.

I don't think it's broke, so don't fix it.

Your "long held traditions" may not be mine.

And you can still dress up whenever you want.

What else do you need?

Could also be things like medical equipment or someting like that.

Pretty easy to assume which seems to be the norm of the "fashion police" crowd.

No can't be medical equipment because you can bring that on the plane in an extra bag. medical equipment does not count as part of the carry on lugagge. But it must be medical equipment.

Laura

No can't be medical equipment because you can bring that on the plane in an extra bag. medical equipment does not count as part of the carry on lugagge. But it must be medical equipment.

Laura

You are correct.

My problem was with the person who assumed they were bringing booze because they were mnot bringing a whole bunch of formal clothing.

So it must be booze:confused:

You are correct.

My problem was with the person who assumed they were bringing booze because they were mnot bringing a whole bunch of formal clothing.

So it must be booze:confused:

I agree with you, why do they assume its booze they are bringing? It could be presents or something, you know for all there roll call members.

Laura

I agree with you, why do they assume its booze they are bringing? It could be presents or something, you know for all there roll call members.

Laura

That could never be me because I don't attend Roll Calls.

Too much judgement going on for my taste.

Archived