Do they enforce it.......?

curiouscat

Please not asking for is it right etc and your opinions... though I know I will get them.....

But if you don't wear a Jacket or tie to dinner on formal nite but a dress shirt and slacks instead will they ask you to dine in WJ???????

This person from our group doesn't have a jacket and doesn't want to buy one etc etc....

Again just asking do they enforce it....????

Thanks

CC

I've never seen anyone turned away for not wearing a jacket & tie. Also, I gotta say that I don't notice what others are wearing. It doesn't make my dinner taste bad if someone isn't wearing a jacket & tie. I really don't know why people put up a fuss because they don't approve of what they wearing. As long as the clothes are clean & not a wet bathing suit, I'm cool with it.

Compared to some of the attire others have worn, I would say slacks and a dress shirt are very formal. Granted, each cruise line is different but not everyone wants to wear a suit and tie on vacation. Tell your friend wear whatever he will be comfortable in, others do.

Every couple of years my family, friends and I do a group cruise. On the last group cruise my son was wearing a very nice silk dress shirt at dinner (no tie, no jacket). He was not turned away and looked fine until I, sitting next to him, spilled my "cosmo" all over him. Oooops, not on purpose, I promise, but I do think he will choose another seat on future cruises.

Be comfortable and enjoy.:)

1 vote for a totally casual cruise. No "formal" nights. Not every cruise, I'm just saying have a casual cruise. Same with a non-smoking cruise, and a smoking cruise. Kind of like theme cruising.

I am soooooooooo with you on that one! I guess that's what NCL is for though. On our last cruise we decided to just participate in one formal night and eat in the buffet for the second formal night. We looooove not to feel pressured to "dress up" since I do that already Monday-Friday (though I don't wear a cocktail dress to work -- LOL!). I'm a jeans and flip-flops kinda gal, but will play the game when I must. What's funny is that when we dress for dinner at the buffet, we dress the same as some people do for the MDR!

The lack of a tie or jacket is totally ok on formal night for many, many people. Tell your friend to just enjoy and have a good time!

Thanks... I just didn't want this to turn into one of those "clothing threads".... not like we haven't seen enough of those

CC

Well, here's a question for you. If you'd already seen those "clothing threads", apparently already knew what kind of answer to expect and, more to the point, knew what answer you were going to choose. Why did you ask? Just curious.

I for one am glad you asked. We are making our boys go to one formal night. Younger son owns a suit, but oldest doesn't. We didn't want to buy a suit he'll never wear again, but instead buy a navy blue blazer which he will from time to time. We bought a beautiful navy blue well-made jacket from a very expensive clothing store in town (cost $8 at Goodwill!! ha/ha he'll never know) and brand new shoes at Target deep discounted for $7.50. He'll wear his khakis. I was worried that it wasn't a "suit", but it seems he'll be fine.

I know this is a sidebar, but what about those guys wearing cowboy hats in MDR? Is this not rude? Maybe there is an exception to the manner's rule I'm not aware of, but I thought that at dinner, in front of a lady you don't wear your hat. Even though I generally find them very manly, along with cowboy boots. :p

Wear whatever you want to.

RCI is far from premium and they basically print a "dress code" to make people believe they are premium and actually care what pax wear.

I've seen it all in the MDR. You could probably get away with lounge pants,t-shirt and flip flops if that is your choice. Don't worry. Wear what makes you happy and enjoy!!!!

I personally never pay attention to what anyone is wearing. More power to the ones that want to dress up. I agree with the bag restrictions for the airlines I find myself packing less and less, which of course make my husband happy. My husband informed me he would not be taking his suit for the Liberty in 2 weeks.

Archived