Do they enforce it.......?

curiouscat

My husband *hates* to wear a jacket and tie. He'll wear the tie if I make him (funeral, wedding, etc...), but he refuses to wear a tie while he's eating. I don't blame him, as I can't stand wearing tight things around my neck (tight necklaces, turtlenecks, etc...).

He wore nice slacks, nice shoes, and a formal shirt (silk or business) in the MDR. He did not have any problems. I personally think that as long as you look clean and ironed, it shouldn't matter that you aren't wearing certain pieces of clothing.

I for one am glad you asked. We are making our boys go to one formal night. Younger son owns a suit, but oldest doesn't. We didn't want to buy a suit he'll never wear again, but instead buy a navy blue blazer which he will from time to time. We bought a beautiful navy blue well-made jacket from a very expensive clothing store in town (cost $8 at Goodwill!! ha/ha he'll never know) and brand new shoes at Target deep discounted for $7.50. He'll wear his khakis. I was worried that it wasn't a "suit", but it seems he'll be fine.

I, too, have outfitted "MY THREE SONS"(I can hear the show's theme music in my head right now) from Goodwill numerous times for cruises. We have a lovely Goodwill in a very well-to-do community near us. As we had taken quite a few cruises during their growing teenage years, it was necessary to keep outfitting them with dinner jackets/suits. I have gotten like new designer name jackets/suits plus dress pants, ties, etc. from this wonderful store. I never paid more than $15 for a suit and $11 for a jacket. Talk about getting your money's worth...after we had used them(handing them down from one son to another), I then passed them on to my brother's boys. They all still look brand new.

Do you really want to be put off your food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Totally tongue in check here, but maybe we should try a "au' natural night" where everyone wears their birthday suit and if you show up in clothes then you get turned away for being over dressed,lol

Please not asking for is it right etc and your opinions... though I know I will get them.....

But if you don't wear a Jacket or tie to dinner on formal nite but a dress shirt and slacks instead will they ask you to dine in WJ???????

This person from our group doesn't have a jacket and doesn't want to buy one etc etc....

Again just asking do they enforce it....????

Thanks

CC

they do not enforce it. it's a vacation, not a wedding.

I personally never pay attention to what anyone is wearing. More power to the ones that want to dress up.

I got all worked up before our cruise about what to wear. DH bought a suit. He wore the suit and tie, me a cocktail dress on formal night. We had some wonderful pictures taken, I'm glad we dressed up. Our table mates didn't show for dinner that night. I honestly didn't pay much attention to what anyone else had on.

I happened to notice, later that night, two men in tuxedos sitting near us in the theatre, and the 60+ women all had on the same "uniform": sparkley jacket, black dress pants. They all looked lovely.

Some people forget that they have the option to go on a different cruise line if other people's attire in the MDR really bothers them that much. My dad really enjoys Crystal, for example, because it is so formal. I go on RCI because it is not, but I still get treated really well. I think you will look very nice.

My last cruise which was on Carnival - we had no intention of dressing on the second formal night - we explained to our waitor that we would not be dining the next night since we did not plan on dressing - he begged us to come to dinner - told us it didn;t matter. So we took his advice and went to dinner - no problems.

Everything will be fine - enjoy your vacation.

A lot of people seem to be unaware of what (with RCI in terms of MDR dress code) is a rule and what is a suggestion.

Dinner dress code rules (which they do enforce to some degree, if rather haphazardly) are, no shorts, no tank tops, no hats, must wear shoes etc. They are more specific in their policy guide, but you get the idea. These apply to the MDR every night. BTW, the oft furiously debated blue jeans are not mentioned at all in the dress code rules as allowed or prohibited.

Now the dress code suggestions for Formal night (casual, smart casual, Caribbean casual, etc.) are just that, suggestions, and notwithstanding the fact that some folks feel that people without ties and jackets, etc on formal night are an abomination unto the cruising public,;) the rules for admittance to the dining room are exactly the same on formal night as on any other night.

I have seen people turned away from the MDR for shorts and for tank tops, it makes no difference whether it is formal night or not (in terms of actual admittance to the MDR).

That having been said, I would guess that the enforcement of the baseline rules is more likely on formal night than on other nights, but the rules don't really change.

they do not enforce it. it's a vacation, not a wedding.

With some of the weddings I've been at . . .

Perhaps we should say "it's not the Oscars so Joan Rivers won't be critiquing your dress on some stupid show that they play above the cable TV listings!":D

With some of the weddings I've been at . . .

Perhaps we should say "it's not the Oscars so Joan Rivers won't be critiquing your dress on some stupid show that they play above the cable TV listings!":D

I'm not Joan Rivers, but we do a running commentary on clothes, hair, and makeup as we see people stroll by along the promenade. :D This is some of the best entertainment onboard!;)

I'm not Joan Rivers, but we do a running commentary on clothes, hair, and makeup as we see people stroll by along the promenade. :D This is some of the best entertainment onboard!;)

Then you would have enjoyed my cruise with the lady who went everywhere with her dummy/puppet. We hope she was a ventriloquist, but we're still not sure!:)

I know this is a sidebar' date=' but what about those guys wearing cowboy hats in MDR? Is this not rude? .[/color'] :p

I saw on last cruise white tux and tails with a cane and top hat. So I don't see why a nice Cowboy hat wouldn't be acceptable. As long as they take the hats off at the table.

As far as the OP - Hubby likes to say, he only wears suits at Weddings and funerals (okay, job interviews, if necessary :) ). As long as the man wears a nice button down shirt with a tie (if possible) and slacks with decent shoes, I think they should be fine. The main thing is if HE will feel comforatble. If he would, then put his mind at ease.

Enjoy.

Erika

We just got off the Majesty yesterday. We did not bring formal clothes, as we planned on eating in the WJ on formal night this time. The night before, we told our waiter that we would not be there the next night. He tried talking us into coming anyway. We told him we did not have dress clothes with us, and he said that it did not matter. He said we could "come in jeans and t-shirts" if we wanted to, and that it would be just fine.

We ate in WJ. :D

But, we found it interesting. He tried very hard to change our minds -- telling us that we did not have to dress up for formal night.

Wow!

To each his or her own.

Sounds pretty lame to me but more power to ya:)

Be careful you don't get punched in the nose:D

Wow!

To each his or her own.

Sounds pretty lame to me but more power to ya:)

Be careful you don't get punched in the nose:D

LOL -- haven't you ever done that? We do the same thing! It's fun to sit and watch people go by, and make up stories about who they are or what they do, by the way they dress or wear their hair! I agree - it's great entertainment!

(I would hate to hear what people say about me though! ;) )

1 vote for a totally casual cruise. No "formal" nights. Not every cruise, I'm just saying have a casual cruise. Same with a non-smoking cruise, and a smoking cruise. Kind of like theme cruising.

I'd bet it would be a sell out in a matter of a few days of being advertised. :p

I know this is a sidebar' date=' but what about those guys wearing cowboy hats in MDR? Is this not rude? Maybe there is an exception to the manner's rule I'm not aware of, but I thought that at dinner, in front of a lady you don't wear your hat. Even though I generally find them very manly, along with cowboy boots.[/color'] :p

Guess all the Texans missed this thread.

Not sure what proper etiquette is on cowboy hats. I just know it's a Texas thang y'all and Texans are very mannerly, especially the cowboys. ;)

On all the cruises I have been on I have never worn a tie nor will I in the future. I always have dinner in the MDR on all nights of the cruise.

I was on the Voyager last week. On formal nights I wore a dress shirt, khaki pants and a blue blazer the first formal night. I wore the same the second formal night without the blazer. My shoes are nice leather sandals. I saw a gentleman at the next table had removed his sport coat and was wearing a long sleeved dark colored tshirt.

On informal nights I wore jeans and a Hawaiian style short sleeved shirt and the sandals. I did see an older man and wife enter the MDR wearing shorts and shower shoes. I saw a lot of shorts being worn on casual nights on the Adventure last September.

The CCL has eliminated formal nights. RCI is a mass market cruise line and needs the rank and file pax to fill their gigantic ships. They cannot afford to upset pax due to what they are wearing as long as it is reasonable.

To the poster about cowboy hats: men wear cowboy hats at the dinner table while eating. Etiquite differs by the region of the country that you are raised. In the west where cowboy hats are worn, they are worn inside as well as outside. This has been extended with modern times to the point that it is not unusual to see men wearing hats of all types at the dinner table. It is an accepted practice in Texas.

Archived