formal shoes for a bad ankle

Ratdoggie

I had a severe ankle sprain last June that put me in cast most the summer. My PT told me I should wear good supportive shoes (like athletic shoes) for the next year. At work, people are used to seeing me in nice slacks and sneakers! Every once in a while I'll wear a pair of "nice shoes" with a low heal (less than 1 inch), but I end up sore and swollen by the end of the day.

That's my situation, now here is my question...I'm cruising on Sapphire Princess in 3 weeks and want to do formal night. I haven't bought an outfit yet because I don't know what to do about shoes. I'm sure I could wear a ballet style shoe....but with a cocktail dress? Or maybe I should stick with the elegant pantsuit idea - do women really wear those for formal night? Would a flat "dressy" sandal be too casual? I'm 43 years old if that helps.

I'd appreciate any ideas you can give me!

There are lots of low-heeled "fancy" shoes that would be suitable for a formal evening.

Yes, some women do wear pants and a sparkly, evening appropriate top---and low shoes would be fine for that.

Here's what I'd do: I'd wear low-heeled shoes for the walk to the dining room...(it's quite a walk!) Then, I'd stick those shoes in a small bag, put on some "nicer" shoes, go sit down and eat, then wear them out of the dining room to whichever venue is next on your list. Use the "flats" for walking back to your room. That way, you won't have them on for long and you'll look and feel better about your outfit!

I think any of the shoes you've mentioned would be fine. Dressy pant suits are also totally acceptable. I personally wouldn't bother with trying to change shoes in the middle of dinner, but it's up to you. Have fun either way and definitely don't skip formal night if you want to go!

I've developed nerve damage in my right foot over the past two years, so can relate to how high heels can be hard to wear. But be careful with flats, those can hurt your feet even more than a shoe with a heel. A ballet flat has no support whatsoever and I threw a pair out after the first wearing once :(, even with extra arch support added.

I find the most comfortable heels I can to go with my formal wear, then I adapt the shoe to my foot. I need extra arch support and a gel form at the ball of my foot. You can find adaptive shoe supports in drug stores, shoe departments in major shoe stores and perhaps even your PT could recommend a source.

I wear my heels, but only for a short period of time, generally the time it takes to walk to dinner and to wherever we are going after dinner. I wear my comfort shoes during the day and save my feet for evening. If you look under the table at dinner, you would see I've kicked off my shoes.

It might take you a bit of shopping to find the right shoes, just keep in mind that you need space left in the shoe for adaptive equipment.

I have a rotten ankle too. When it's bothering me, I have a pair of pretty patent leather ballet flats that I wear with cocktail dresses. They aren't completely flat - they have a little "wedge" at the heel.

There are some very dressy ones available with sparkly jewel accents, etc. that make them perfectly appropriate.

If anyone thinks they aren't "formal" enough, too bad! I'm not going to have a painful vacation just to appease a few judgmental people. :)

Thank you for your posts! Here is another question...since I need to be careful about the shoes, should I buy the shoes first then the formal outfit or formal outfit first and then shoes to match. I'm not a very hard-core shopper and am just not sure where to start. What would you do?

I was just going to suggest Crocs! I have debilitating foot problems and am not supposed to wear anything but my special tennis shoes. But I can get away with Crocs for limited times and bought some cute dressy crocs. Yeah, I would much rather have some sexy heels but I have to adapt to what I can. I may also be in a skirt and tennies on some casual nights depending on how much pain I am in.

look into crocs.com, believe it or not they make more then those ugly clogs. I know they are not super cute but they are better then running shoes or a non supportive shoe.

2163_1_black.jpg

they make heels also.

1174_1_blackblack.jpg

I've seen the heels, but not the slingbacks. Those are really cute! :)

I have terrible feet. I've sprained one ankle over a dozen times and it does take a long time to recover from. The first time they said it would have been better if it broke because less would have stretched out. Stick with the PT. It makes a HUGE difference, and definitely work on strengthening the muscles around the sprained area because what you sprained will never go completely back. It can take a long time for the area not to swell some when you've been on it for awhile.

My foot doctor has me buying "good for my feet shoes." This entails a much larger price tag (50-100 dollars a pair retail), but the shoes are worth it. Look at brands such as Merrell (more a walking shoe), Born, and Naturalizer and anything else that's European and shop the sales big time. It can be harder to find nice dressy shoes in these brands but they are much better for your feet. As a bonus, the quality is far better so the shoes will last longer and usually have a little more padding in them. Also I find that I feel much more stable in a wedge than in a heel. It gives a larger surface area to distribute the weight across. Best of luck and I hope your ankle is back to "normal" soon!

Here are some links to get you thinking!

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/Results.aspx?N=4294966065+4294967173+6207

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/Results.aspx?N=4294965625+4294967173+6207

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/Results.aspx?N=4294965274+4294967173+6207&Ne=2

You've all been awesome. The crocs are very cute and I also got some ideas from the websites provided. I was told the same thing as the last post...that it would have been better if I had broken the ankle. Thanks to all of you, I'm not only getting ideas for the cruise, but for shoes I can wear in "regular" life too! :D

Hi RatDoggie, We are almost ready for our cruise! Lets's see...two years ago I busted a toe on an excursion..The Pirate ship adventure, as I was climbing the metal steps that were very wet and slippery. So the second formal night I had to wear my dress with black flip flops. People were very understanding but I was mortified. Last year I broke my foot in two places a few weeks before the cruise. I was in a walking boot. On the cruise I wore a fancy pant outfit and ballet type shoes. I did not wear my boot on the cruise and paid for it in the long run with major swelling. You will be fine. You still have time to shop..Good Luck...LPT:cool:

Hi LPT...We are quite the pair! I have to admit I've been a little worried about twisting my ankle again on a sandy beach or getting off and on boats for the excursions. Maybe we should pack our walking boots for back-up (hmmm, suddenly wearing flip-flops on formal night doesn't sound quite as bad in comparison)! ha ha :D

I badly sprained my ankle and bought "ballerina" style flats for evenings. One pair is black, and the other silver to match my formal outfits.

They are soft leather with the elastic tops all the way around. Flats, of course. They looked dressy, but were very comfy for me.

My physical therapist told me sprains are the worst for healing, because you have to keep using it!! Mine is normal now, and it's been 18 months!

A ballet flat is fine on formal night, or if these do not feel right on your foot just wear whatever what you need in order to not cause swelling (further damage).

I agree with the poster who said don't jeopardize your ankle over a judgmental person who might give you a catty look. Those ankles have to get you through the rest of your life.

I tore a tendon on the side of one ankle last year and had to be in a cast twice in the same year. Because of that I really know the challenge you face finding the right shoe. The one suggestion I would add to the above suggestions is that an ankle strap on a shoe helps to stabilize the ankle.

I also feel that a shoe that is too flat can be problematic. Try to find something with at least a slightly elevated heel, maybe a kitten heel height, good arch support, and a strap in a metallic color or material with a dressy look.

Check Foot Smart.com for ideas. They specialize in many shoes and products for folks with foot and ankle challenges.

http://www.footsmart.com

I have the bad habit of twisting my ankle to the side often, not on purpose, it just happens, and so I really only have like 2 pairs of heels, which I love, but I only wear them in moderation. Nice flats in good condition are always okay for a formal night if you pair them with the right outfit.

Archived