shortage of flu shots

Riotgrl13

I agree--I would NEVER get a flu shot in a third world country--the possible implications are far worse than the flu could be.

If you want to get a flu shot outside the US, try Canada, France, the UK, Germany, Sweden, etc.--an industrialized country with world-class medical care and sterilization standards.

Anne

I have never had a flu shot and I haven't had anything even close to the flu in 10 years. I don't understand the panic that some people are feeling about not being able to get it. Although both me parents get one every year, but they are in their 80's and not in the best of health. 4_1_3v.gif

I know it probably isn't necessary, but the problem is that when we travel, it's usually at the peak of flu season. A few years ago I was on antibiotics for the first ten days of a trip to Hawaii because I had the flu earlier and it developed into bronchitis. Ever since then I've taken no chances, even though I know it won't protect me from anything but the 3 or 4 varieties it's designed for. Fortunately we've got lots available this year. :D

I was one of the lucky ones here in Florida and actually got mine at the walk in clinic before all the hoopla and they ran out. I am diabetic and a health care provider so I really do need the shot. Actually I was asking for my mother who is 79 and going on her first cruise with us in December. She is from NJ and wasn't able to get one, last yr when she came to Fl she got pneumonia and ended up in the hospital. With such close quarters on a ship I would have felt better had she been able to get a flu shot prior to sailing even though I know that it can take 2-3 weeks to be effective. Mexico is not a third world country and Cozumel is quite with the times if anyone has been there recently. And Barbgazz I thought your answer quite rude.

Perhaps Mexico is not a third world country (a debatable point), but it is far from highly developed as far as medical care goes. Speaking as an asthmatic who has had influenza twice in the past, I would not risk getting a flu shot there, to me the risks potentially associated with that far outweigh the risks of getting influenza.

Anne

Riotgrl13 my DH and I have both had a pneumonia shot. It's a once in a lifetime thing and can be extremely beneficial to seniors or anyone with a compromised immune system. Have her check with her Dr. It may not be the flu shot, but it can help prevent the life-threatening consequences.

Beth

DID YOU KNOW...that the flu vaccine only innoculates you for whatever it was that went into the flu vaccine. The chances of being innoculated against this years crop of flu is 1000 to 1 if you have had a flu shot. The vaccine can only innoculate you against last year's flu.

Did you know that 1 flu shot will keep the average person innoculated for years?...And that a lot of folks get the flu when they get a flu shot as a result of getting the flu shot???

Did you know that most flu onboard ships is the result of the plane ride to the ship???...That when you mix people from different regions they have not become immune to one and other as you would have done locally???...That you can catch a strain of flu from another part of the country or world that is not covered by any current vaccine???

Getting a flu shot is a "crap shoot" and does not preclude the possibility of getting the flu.

ROSS

DID YOU KNOW...that the flu vaccine only innoculates you for whatever it was that went into the flu vaccine. The chances of being innoculated against this years crop of flu is 1000 to 1 if you have had a flu shot. The vaccine can only innoculate you against last year's flu.

Did you know that 1 flu shot will keep the average person innoculated for years?...And that a lot of folks get the flu when they get a flu shot as a result of getting the flu shot???

Did you know that most flu onboard ships is the result of the plane ride to the ship???...That when you mix people from different regions they have not become immune to one and other as you would have done locally???...That you can catch a strain of flu from another part of the country or world that is not covered by any current vaccine???

Getting a flu shot is a "crap shoot" and does not preclude the possibility of getting the flu.

ROSS

I'd love to know where you got your data. Would you mind sharing it with us please?

You CANNOT get the flu from a flu shot since the virus used to develop the vaccine is already dead. D E A D, as in doornail. Not possible. IMO you are doing a disservice by spreading inaccurate information.

Beth

can't get the flu from a flu shot.....they do not use live virus. some people get a reaction from the intrusion of the inoculation, like not feeling up to par for a day or so, certainly less than getting the flu. also it takes up to two weeks for the vaccine to take effect. And since most influenza has its roots in the far east, its easy for the WHO to determine what strains of flu will be making the rounds during the upcoming season. that being said the vaccine is made for the current season not for past years.

The flu vaccine reduces the average person's chances of catching the flu by up to 80% during the season. But because the flu vaccine prevents infection with only a few of the viruses that can cause flu-like symptoms, getting the vaccine isn't a guarantee that you won't get sick during the season. But even if someone who's gotten the shot gets the flu, symptoms will usually be fewer and milder.

The vaccine can only innoculate you against last year's flu.
Did you know that 1 flu shot will keep the average person innoculated for years?

So does that mean that you will be vaccinated for years against last years flu?? :confused: :eek:

the flu vaccine only innoculates you for whatever it was that went into the flu vaccine.

Yup, I can't argue with that one.

Sorry, there is just too much fiction in your post.

CGTNORMANDIE: I'm guessing you think all the "flu" from the airplane rides is the thing that caused the intestinal diseases on many ships 2 winters ago. Actually, not anything close to that. The flu shot does protect against influenza, which has absolutley nothing to do with the throw ups and stomach disturbances. Maybe I'm wrong about what you though the flu actually was.....maybe not.....In any case, you don't get the flu from a flu shot. Can't happen, not possible.

My husband and I went on the first day we saw they were giving them out. We got both of the shots.

Then, they ran low. No more shots. :(

It was on our news just 2 days ago that our state just got enough for 10,000 more shots. Keep calling around to see if they are in your state or area.

Never get a shot of any kind in a place like Belize, etc. YUK!

As a registered nurse I find it scary when people with no medical education and/or no documentation for the "facts" they present post on widely read message boards because the misinformation they are spreading could possibly cause harm to individuals who might act on this misinformation. I, too, would love to see the data on which CGTNormandie based his statements. However, I strongly suspect that such data does not exist.

If you can get the flu shot, do so. If it is unavailable to you where you live or you do not meet the criteria to receive one, ask about FluMist (not everyone will be able to tolerate this as this does contain some live virus). If this is not an option, practice good hygiene and try to avoid crowds if you are worried about the flu.

Once you've done everything that you can do, the only thing left is to do is to hope for the best. As miserable as it is, the flu won't do major harm to MOST healthy individuals. If you do get the flu, call your doctor IMMEDIATELY as we now have some amazing medications that can be given to treat flu symptoms and reduce the chances of serious complications.

Here's wishes for good health to all the CC members and their families.

By the way, I rented a home in Mexico recently, and the Mexican owned rental company provided me with many handouts, one of which stated, "Please keep in mind that Mexico is a third world country..."

The phrase "third world country" is not a dirty word. It's just something to keep in mind when considering certain issues, medical care being among them.

nrdsb4, thanks for being the voice of reason!

I'm a diabetic, and normally get a flu shot every year. I rarely get the flu anymore, and when I do, it usually lasts way less time than most of the folks around me who get the flu.

I was rather upset when my doctor got NO flu shots this year, and most of the public venues only had a *very* limited amount, that you had to stand in line for for hours, and *maybe* get a shot. I was unable to do that. I was worried because my cruise leaves this weekend, and I'm worried about being on the plane and on the ship in enclosed quarters with *so* many people.

Last week, however, my doctor did get some FluMist, and I got that. 2 days later, I *did* feel slightly ill (my doctor warned me I might since there are live viruses in the FluMist) with a bit of a sore throat and achyness (and I slept until noon! :eek: ) . But I was better by that afternoon, and now I *do* feel safer. I will still be meticulous about hygeine, but for me, I feel like you should do what you can.

sayhello

As a nurse I would also like to add to that ridiculous statement above...... we innoculate here in Canada to also cut the cases of flu down. It is a strain on our medical system to have people filling our hospital beds with complications they developed as the result of the flu.......... FURTHERMORE...... when health care workers are off due to the flu WHO do you think will care for the individuals such as yourself when you are sick. There is a cost effectivness need to be considered, notwithstanding the care and compassion and basic nursing skills needed for sick individuals provided by us nurses, paramedics, police officers, fire fighters, doctors....................................................... What would you do without us?

We have lots of vaccine left............ and due to our compassionate nature, and knowledge that the flu doesn't stop at the borders (you affect us too), we have been giving flu shots free to any Americans that show up for one. We don't even ask for any identification!

Actually, some of these have some true points so here is what I have to offer:

All flu vaccines are based on a specific influenza strain. That may be from last year or what they feel is the best match the following year. I have no idea about data on the numbers claimed above, but it is true that the vaccines are based on only one speciifc strain. My source is the FDA. You can read it yourself at:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/flu.html

In addition to general info, most of the talk on specific strains is located in the Flumist Q & A.

Did you know that 1 flu shot will keep the average person innoculated for years?...And that a lot of folks get the flu when they get a flu shot as a result of getting the flu shot???.

I don't know about lasting for years as I just don't know. While you can't get the flu from the vaccine, it is true that if you have been carrying the virus around and you get the vaccine it can cause you to get the flu. So the vaccine does not cause it, you already had it and the vaccine is just forcing it out. My source on this was a doctor in the family.

I agree the vaccine is not 100% and it is stated as such on the FDA site, but it is more than a "crap shoot". There is no way the drug would be approved without some types of studies showing expected results.

Archived