Buying bottle of wine at dinner, taking it back to room.

I read on these threads that if you buy a bottle of wine at dinner, you are allowed to take the unfinished bottle back to your room. I would like to do that and am wondering what an average bottle of white wine would be? Reisling or the house wine, nothing expensive?

Plus, can each of us order a bottle of wine (they would be different of course!) and take both unfinished back? I enjoy a glass of wine when the evening is finished back in the room. It seems to me this might be less expensive than ordering the $8-10 glass of wine. You can ususally get 4 glasses per bottle.

Thanks

While I have not done what you are asking. I have on several occasions ordered a bottle and the wait staff would save the remainder for the following evening. I do believe you can order a bottle via room service as well for your cabin. I have not done this as I have always brought my own on-board.

We always purchase the wine package and take the left over back to our room. The waiter's have often given us the wine glasses. You can purchase wine packages. They start at 5 bottles for $129.95. If you don't want the package, I believe bottles start at around $20.00 It is nice to enjoy a glass on your balcony after a tour.

Just let the waiters know that you will be taking it back with you when they open the bottle. We didn't do this the first time and they couldn't find the appropriate cork for us when we asked to take it back with us. They got us one so we were fine, but some people may not like the random cork! Our waiters also gave us clean glasses to take back with us so we could finish the bottle back in the cabin.

to the OP:

The answer is yes.

We have taken our bottle of dinner wine back to our cabin and also to the theater (the wait staff in the theater provided fresh glasses). We take a cloth wine gift bag with us on our cruises as well as a stopper thus making the transition somewhat classier. One may also call room service and have a bottle of wine delivered to ones cabin. We have also purchased a bottle of wine at a bar and taken it with us to another area of the ship. Rather than buy us something we don't particularly want or need for special occasions, our son gives us a card stating that he has ordered a bottle of wine to be delivered to our stateroom on an upcoming cruise. There are so many ways to enjoy wine on a cruise.

Wine prices are extremely high!!!!!! $25.00 is about the cheapest you will find and those are few and far between. On top of the price of the wine there is an extra %15 added. The best buy is the wine package where you get a SMALL break. Have found that a glass usually runs around $7.00.

While it is not permitted, many people smuggle wine aboard. You are taking a chance doing this. Have know people who tried and had their bottle confiscated.

I simply don't understand this thread at all. Leftover wine? Leftover wine for the next day? :confused: :D

I am with you...the only time we had leftover wine for the next day was on the nights when we would order a second bottle for dinner. :D

To answer the original question, on those nights we were allowed to take the rest of the bottle with us and drink where we wanted. One night we took it back to the room and then other night we took it to the Champagne bar. The prices are quite high though but then again we are on vacation and we don't get to go as often as we would like so it is worth it to us!

For an list of typical wine price go to the following on RCCI web site. These prices are $2 higher than on board but you don't pay the 15% gratuity thus in the long run are cheaper to buy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000dMCZMqWK6StFYIgWaRKPPwy:12hdhu6tq?catCode=WINE

For the Wine & Dine packages go to this site.

One confusing thing is if you buy the W&D pkg online precruise the price indicated includes the 15% gratuity and when you buy it onboard, it is advertised without the gratuity which is than added on when you purchase this package. In both case the price is the same. You can view all selections in a package by going to Click Here on near the bottom of each package.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000dMCZMqWK6StFYIgWaRKPPwy:12hdhu6tq?catCode=WINDIN

Archived