Noro Virus and infants

bliss_fully_happy

I have just read that the ship I am going on (NCL Jewel) has been battling Noro for awhile this season. Sounds like they have it under control with this last sailing. That still lead me to this question.

I have a 6mo that will be sailing. Is there anything that I should be concerned about or precautions I should take. She has never had any sickness so far. I would hate for a cruise to be her first.

FYI - I am holding off introducing foods to her until after the cruise.

Thanks!

Bring pedialyte with you just in case, if she starts vomiting thats what you would give to replenish her electolytes and they wont have any on board. Just make sure you hand sanitize or wash your hands frequently. That is how it is spread. You should be fine. My DD has been on 6 cruises, starting at 7 months and has never once picked up anything onboard.

Just remember that if the baby does get sick, you may have to get off the ship the first chance you get in port. Babies dehydrate very quickly. If she did get this, she might need IV fluids.

Don't wait till the ship is heading back out to sea. :(

Tis the season for that virus! It's in the schools, nursing homes....everywhere folks gather in close proximity! Your baby will have just as good of a chance as catching it in the grocery store as on the ship. Since she won't be "touching" things, she'll be less likely to catch it than you will!

I agree with cruisinmama - if your baby gets sick and you suspect it is noro, get her checked out on land asap. My little one was in daycare from 5 months-11 months and got noro virus repeatedly from there - at least once a month. We finally removed her from daycare and she has not been sick once since. The first time she got it, at 5 and a half months, we had no idea what it was and she became very dehydrated in a matter of a few hours. She was admitted to our local hospital and put on an IV. What we did not know was that dairy products aggravate noro, so her formula was making her throw up every time she had it (something to consider if you are bottle feeding). The hospital suggested keeping her off formula and giving her pedialyte frequently. Luckily, I was also breastfeeding (just in the process of weaning) so was able to take her off formula completely until she was over it - not sure what I would have done for feeding her otherwise! Thankfully, she has never got sick on a cruise but as someone else pointed out, your child can just as easily get noro from the local playgroup as onboard a ship!

In the US they started immunizing for the worst strain(s) of intestinal (including noro) in infants starting January 2006.

They give two oral doses, one at 4 months, one at 6 months and based on reaction it tastes horrible. The immunity is short lived, like a year or two and thus they don't dose older kiddos who missed the vaccine. However, as infants are the ones with the worst cases and complications, i.e. dehydration, the vaccine gets them through the "critical period".

I know all this as my first child missed the vaccine as it was FDA approved just a month after her birth. She went to the ER with uncontrolable puking and got an IV in the scalp :( Small price to pay though!

My second daughter was born in July 2008, got the vaccine and when we yet again got the pukes in December, she was barely affected.

Ask your pediatricin about it and yes, take pedialyte or even gatorade - just water it down as the sugar content in gatorade actually draws water out of the gut.

And take those clorox wipes too! I have worked in both medical and education fields and swear by good hygiene.

Archived