$4000 Difference???

First of all, I want to thank everyone for offering such great insight. I have been reading this forum for some time, but this is my first posting.

I have a wife and five children, ages 18, 16, 9, 7, and 3. We are looking at a 7 night cruise this June on either the Freedom of the Seas or CCL's Valor.

The RCI cruise is $4000 more than CCL. Is this a case of getting what you pay for, or is RCI that much better than CCL? In both cases, we are looking at 2 balcony cabins. I have read lots of mixed reviews on CCL, so I am not sure what to believe.

We have sailed on the Disney Wonder before, and thought it was great, but very expensive. Are we better off sailing on CCL and using the savings on excursions and other activities?

Any help is most appreciated!

You are paying for the rock climbing wall, flowride and ice skating rink.

I just switch from RCL to Carnival because we won't be using those things and saved $1,400 per balcony cabin.

Food is the same on both and service is the same.

It's up to you to decide but $4,000 in this economy is alot of money.

Brinda

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree. I know folks have different opinions and value different things, but when I see such price differences, I get a little nervous. I am leaning toward CCL; I just hope I won't regret not spending more.

To answer your question: "Are we better off sailing on CCL and using the savings on excursions and other activities?" I would say yes, you are.

RCI does have more activities on board, rock climbing, ice skating, Flow Rider. I've sailed both lines and there are a lot of small differences. The main one is that RCI's ships are much prettier. It has been my experience that food and service are equal. For that cost difference, you could do a LOT of excursions and enjoy your time in ports.

Hi nesmith! Welcome to Cruise Critics.

Just so you know, your question will start (again) a lot of debate about which cruise line is better.

From what I have learned:

RCI ships (especially the Freedom of the Seas) is very well designed and had very tasteful decor. Carnival tends to be a little more colourful on the design.

Food.. I have seen good and bad posted about each, so I think they are both equally good.

Cabins: Carnival cabins tend to be a bit larger, but I am not sure about the Valor. I will say this: Carnival bedding is FANTASTIC! I hope RCI is the same.

So, it comes down to economics... $4,000 is a ton of money. To me, it's a no brainer.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. For those who have chosen Carnival instead or RCI, are the CCL ships "run down,"or are they just not as attractive as RCI's?

From what I have read, it sounds like RCI spends more time/money on appearances. But, in my opinion, you will not really notice. On my 2 carnival cruises, I never noticed anything that would come anywhere near to discourging me from sailing with them again.

I would definately take Carnival and save that money, enough for another cruise, another thought, the kids are never in the cabin what about one balcony and one inside for the kids, just a thought

Let me offer a different perspective. Have you considered the Royal Family Suite (RFS) on FOS. You could put the entire family in the RFS. I do not know the price difference between the RFS and two balconies. I sailed on Liberty of the Seas (LOS) with my four children (ages 16 to 23), plus one of my kid's girlfriends. You have the master bedroom for you and your wife. Have a nice bathroom will full bath. The second (smaller) bedroom is like an Inside Cabin. Two beds plus two that come down from the overhead. Standard (small) bathroom with shower. You have a nice living room with a couch that can be used by the youngest/smallest. You have a huge balcony that looks over the stern (back) of the ship. It has a table that can seat six and is a great place to have breakfast. Flat screen TVs in both bedrooms plus the living room. Your kids would love the ship. Plenty to do for all their ages from FlowRider to Rock Wall to full size Basketball court to H2O Zone to age appropriate clubs and more. Whichever you decide on, have a great cruise and make it a family experience to remember.

We always cruise with our 2 boys and book 2 cabins, 1 balcony and an Inside across from us. So you may want to consider that option.

Re: CCL , I have done 3 Carnival cruises, as well as Celebrity and RCL cruises. For $4000 savings I would not hesitate to book a Carnival cruise.

The ships are great, food not bad, speciality dining wonderful, entertainment good and many activities for teens and younger kids.

I have not been on the Valor, but have done Destiny , Liberty(inaugral) and Splendour, all these were were wonderful cruises.

We are booked on the Liberty of the Seas for July 09 , but thats becos our group wants to do a cruise with a Freedom class ship. We have not been on one with a promenade etc. We were booked on the Valor for the same time(30 people) , but majority ruled. Carnival cruises are great fun,no need to second guess yourself. Spend the $4000 on another trip.

Once again, I can't tell you how much I value everyone's input. I will go ahead and book with CCL and save the money. I will also look at booking a balcony, and placing the kids in an inside room across the call.

Again, this is a great site, and I have become a lot more educated because of you.

Thanks!

I don't want to be the devils advocate but are you sure you checked the same dates and length of cruise? I believe RCCL would be more expensive (and in my opinion worth it) but $4000? That is a huge difference.

Are the itineraries the same? I don't know much about Carnival ships but is the Valor an older ship maybe? I guess I'm just thinking out loud.

If it truly is comparable (and the carnival ship isn't really old and run down) even I would switch to Carnival and I said I would never do that! $2000 more and I would stay with RCCL, but $4000 that could buy a lot of drinks!

I agree with those here, I do love the Freedom but for that much $$ I would not hesitate to go on Carnival. I've not been on Valor but other Carnival ships and they are fine. Just do remember these 2 ships are in port often together so be prepared to see Freedom.

Here are a few pics (hopefully) from our sailing of Valor and Freedom in St. Maarten. We sat up on the top deck of Freedom after our excursion with a drink in hand watching the movie on the Valor!

IMG_1004.jpg.b77c4a1e5c76d638180d36ef9cd8db38.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg.617de52dc4881d01d8a384180021e607.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg.bbb6c1c34fa7bd00339e0b07a57fc828.jpg

I too have the same issue. We are booked on a May 24th FOS cruise for 6 of us in 3 cabins - 1 balcony, 2 inside. It will be my husband and I paying for all cabins- us and 3 sons plus a girlfriend. I am now considering switching to Valor for the same dates and similar itinerary for $2500 less. It is good to see the positive comments from both sides. I have cruised both and would choose RCL everythime if the price were comperable.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. For those who have chosen Carnival instead or RCI, are the CCL ships "run down,"or are they just not as attractive as RCI's?

No, Carnival ships are not run down, they just have a more offbeat decor. The ships are well maintained. We think the food is better on Carnival and the service is comparable. For $4000 difference, we would not have to think twice about which cruise line to sail. We never climb the rock wall or use the FlowRider; there is plenty to do on Carnival without them.

We (DH 54, me 48, DD16 and her friend, also 16) sailed on the Valor last summer, and had a great cruise. We're sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in June, and are really excited. IMHO $4K is a lot of money. Have you (as others have suggested) looked into going for a balcony cabin, and an inside across the hall? Could be a big money saver!

I am a VERY loyal RCI customer and I have also sailed four Carnival cruises but for the difference in price I would grab the Carnival, taking a balcony for the parents and an inside across the hall for the kids. The food is comparable, the kids and teen areas are nice on both, plenty to offer the adults as well, service can be comparable, rooms larger on Carnival, all of the ships are generally in decent shape. Your cruise will be what you make it. Enjoy it and sock the 4g's away for something else. Have a great time, regardless.

Why connecting balconies? Throw the kids in an inside. Or a Promenade Cabin (Window with view into the Promenade below) for them, Balcony for you across the hall.

I think there is a cheaper way to do Freedom for you. I personally feel like you can't get a better ship than the Freedom class....but not $4k difference worth. There has to be a better way.

The first thing, take the balcony from the kids, they don't need it. And maybe post the dates here. Maybe someone can suggest an alternative.

Didn't you post this earlier under a different name?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=938501&highlight=

If that wasn't you, it was someone in your exact position. Take a look at it. Here is what I said to them:

Who did you book through?????? Right now this minute, I can book RCI myself for a balcony, one itenarary is $1399 pp the other $1599 pp. You can book a balcony that sleeps 3 for one of the cabins that should accomodate your family. Do not know where you got that amount??? And there are likely to be DEALS starting on those cruises coming up soon if you watch everyday you can get a refund if the base price goes down, other discounts are available. You must've booked suites. You don't need them. And Freedom is worth every penny of $1399! You won't find another ship like the Freedom class anywhere else. Your kids will thank you for it. They'll love the Flowrider! And you'll love the Ice Show. Not on Carnival. HI MICHELE!

Archived