Why dont more single mature men cruise???

bobbisailsolo

... I should clarify that in times when the industry is doing well I do not expect to be able to get a low SS, ever... however, right now, the cruise industry is getting hit hard by the economy and the H1N1 situation. I guess my take is that with the industry staring down the barrel of low census numbers, they have a way to get people on board, but I accept that it will be the last thing they do...

Another side to the issue is the insistence of the cruise industry for us to travel with someone. For a business that wants to please people, they sure don't pay any lip service to the single traveller.... Yes, this is the way it is, but with a modern life seemingly giving us more people who want to travel single, the industry is doing a poor job of serving this sector.

A new ship is coming out next year ( read it somewhere ) with purpose built single cabins aa a 1.25 rate.... seems rather simple to create space for single travelers... if the cabins don;t seel they can use them to separate squabbling couples... lol

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of those older single guys.

I have cruised both as a solo and with a hosted singles singles group.

I always meet nice people and I don't recall any negative vibes from couples who thought I was somehow a threat to their happiness because I happened to be single.

Almost always I prefer dinner seating so I am easily able to make friends and have these regular dinner companions as my "core" freindship group aboard the ship.

On one RCLL Caribbean cruise my dinner group included two single ladies who were traveling together and we did some napkin folding, wine tasting, and shore excursions, trivia, shared a pre dinner drink in the lounge and each evening would get some dancing in. At times the 3 of us would dance together. This did not escape the attention of a gentleman who when the women paid a visit to the powder room, remarked that it must be great to be able to dance with two women and I was in complete agreement with him that it was a pleasant experience. But who was I kidding. Had there been more single men on that cruise I would have had to sign their dance card to get a whirl around the dance floor with them.

Then there were other cruises where I felt like Steve Martin's character in the movie "The Lonely Guy". Lots of waking that promendade deck with my buddies the seaguls. My closest companion was a book. That is not to say I didn't have a good time because I always enjoy cruising but it is nice to be able to have friends you meet aboard ship to do daily ship activities with and, or ,just enjoy conversing with over a cup of coffee or a drink in the lounge.

I do enjoy dancing so I have never had a problem meeting single women on a cruise.

The cruise that I rate the best ever was a hosted singles group of about 35 of us on the that grand old gal of the sea the NCL Norway a few years ago. We had our own cruise or tour director so we did our own shore excursions. We became good friends. We met for cocktails at 5pm each day, dined and danced together and ..yes,.romance did break out for a few in the group.

I think as a single cruiser its kinda potluck as to what you can expect as for meeting people and as to how things will go because each cruise is different. Columbus would certainly atest to that. A little serendipity might show up or maybe not.

It's a lot like Forest Gump's box of chocolates. You just never know what you'll get.

I notice that none of these women who say they’re “not looking to hook-up” seem to have checked out Friends of Dorothy. If you search under “mature single”, there’s a thread under gay cruising. True, many FOD are bitchy old queens or fat trolls just cruising (excuse the pun) but some, especially the couples, can be quite interesting, and appreciate being treated like ordinary people. Sounds to me like many of the women doing the complaining aren’t being quite accurate about what they actually want.

Generally I agree with Tidenik. If you’re a single guy who dances, unless you travel with a dance group, it’s rare to find women who dance. The exception is Cunard, where women are on because of the dance hosts, but even then there’s no guarantee.

There’s a scene in “Shall We Dance” (the US version) where three women walk in, take one look at the three losers sitting along the wall, and walk out. I quite often get that feeling in the ships’ lounges. And on the HAL Maasdam, there were singles’ lunches every sea day. First day- 5 single guys, 6 women. By the last day- 5 single guys, no women. They would rather do lunch alone than with us.

HI All, I had started this thread some time ago, and haven't looked at it in a while. Some interesting discourse going on..

Only 53 more days, and I will be sailing on the Noordam for 20 wonderful days in the Med. Sure would be nice if there were a few single, mature (in years) men on board, just to talk with, have a meal.. ect. But either way, I know I am going to enjoy myself. I have an entire cabin to myself, a full itinerary, and a good book to relax with. And that beautiful meditteranean sea......

Dancer Bob I've had the same experience on some cruises where you had a great combo playing great dance music in the lounge and the only element missing were ladies to share the dance.

It's no secret that women love to dance. They love to dance so much that they go out and shop for clothes that they can wear that make them look terrific while they are out on the dance floor on a cruise.. So I don't know why there have been occasions where finding a woman for even a simple waltz ...yes a waltz...the dance that women particularly enjoy..can at times be a challenge at sea.

I'm off for a cruise later this month and I'm hoping there will be women who will honor me or in the words from that hit from Orleans a few years back...."dance with me I want to be your partner..dance with me.."..etc

I just saw this thread. I have never been on a Single's Cruise before. I usually go with friends. I am going on an Alaskan Cruise with my nieghbor. We are two single ladies in our 60's. In the cruises I have been on, I don't think I have ever seen any single men in my age group.

Most of the people I have met on cruises and through the CC are married couples which is fine. I have met many wonderful people in my travels, but like many of you it would be nice to meet someone that you could hang out with and just enjoy talking or dancing.

Just becasue you are in your 60's doesn't mean you are dead and don't like to have fun.

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

I just saw this thread. I have never been on a Single's Cruise before. I usually go with friends. I am going on an Alaskan Cruise with my nieghbor. We are two single ladies in our 60's. In the cruises I have been on, I don't think I have ever seen any single men in my age group.

Most of the people I have met on cruises and through the CC are married couples which is fine. I have met many wonderful people in my travels, but like many of you it would be nice to meet someone that you could hang out with and just enjoy talking or dancing.

Just becasue you are in your 60's doesn't mean you are dead and don't like to have fun.

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

My friend and I did alaka last year on HAL. We were seated with 3 other single women. Not a single man to be seen anywhere...lol...Oh well, it was fun anyways. I've been toying with the idea of putting together a senior (age 50+) single/solo cruise...maybe next year...

My friend and I did alaka last year on HAL. We were seated with 3 other single women. Not a single man to be seen anywhere...lol...Oh well, it was fun anyways. I've been toying with the idea of putting together a senior (age 50+) single/solo cruise...maybe next year...

That would be great! I would certainly go if one was set up.

Smiles.....Kitty (Nan)

You might be interested in the singles cruise agencies that typically offer a "Baby Boomer" or "60+" cruise once or twice a year -- google "singles cruises" -- it would save you some work!! :p

Christine

You might be interested in the singles cruise agencies that typically offer a "Baby Boomer" or "60+" cruise once or twice a year -- google "singles cruises" -- it would save you some work!! :p

Christine

Hi Christine,

I have looked at those sites many many times, but never see anything interesting. It seems like it is always the old 7 day Caribbean. At my age, the hot weather does not really appeal to me like it used to. I would much rather see someplace different, like a cruise up the coast of northern europe, or even an new england cruise thru montreal and quebec... or maybe even china and asia. I realize that those cruises take more time and are more costly, but at my age (55) many of us have more time avaliable for vacationing.

Barb

Hi Christine,

I have looked at those sites many many times, but never see anything interesting. It seems like it is always the old 7 day Caribbean. At my age, the hot weather does not really appeal to me like it used to. I would much rather see someplace different, like a cruise up the coast of northern europe, or even an new england cruise thru montreal and quebec... or maybe even china and asia. I realize that those cruises take more time and are more costly, but at my age (55) many of us have more time avaliable for vacationing.

Barb

I agree with you Barb. Mexico and the Caribbean just does not appeal to me at all. I too would love to do the New England sail as I have never been there.

Smiles......Kitty (Nan)

• 2 weeks later...
Whats up with older men? Don't they want to see the world? What better way than taking a cruise. I have been on several cruises by myself, and there are plenty of single women.....

Now this is what I am talking about!!!

I hope there are many sexxxy beautiful babies and cougars when I set sail next Friday 8/28.

It's sexxxxxxxy time!!!!!!

Now this is what I am talking about!!!

I hope there are many sexxxy beautiful babies and cougars when I set sail next Friday 8/28.

It's sexxxxxxxy time!!!!!!

Sorry Goodtime, but I will miss you. I will be on the Sapphire Princes on Sept 12 cruising Alaskan waters.

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

• 2 months later...

BobbiSailSolo.......I am a divorced male, 58 y/o and next May will be taking my 10th cruise....yes, all on Carnival. As you said, may be getting up there, but not dead...not yet anyway. My daughter (20 next February) will be with me, but my past 2 cruises I cruised alone and found it to be only a little different, but was fine with me. I know that I may look younger than my age, at least thats what most other people have told me. Even at my age i am not against joining in with some of the cruise directed "deck games". I have often wondered, "am I too old to be doing this sort of thing"? I guess not because I continue to do so.

Rob

Let me share my experiences of a divorced guy, in his early 40th.

I was on 15 or 16 cruises, and enjoyed most of them. Most of them I was a solo cruiser.

It has never been an issue for me to find someone to socialize or to have a good time with. I couldn't imagine a scenario when I would pay double price for a single cruise, only to be a part of an organized group.:eek:

Things are different if we talk about romance. I had a couple of experiences onboard, however, my statistics shows that romance on cruiseships is an exception rather than a rule. I think that one of the reasons for that is stigma surronding cruises. Many girls I spoke with, simply believe that it's unsafe to cruise without a frind, spouse, parent or companion. In turn, those girls who sail with someone, often don't feel comfortable to get too close with a strange man in the presence of their mothers or friends, for example:cool:

Even though I always keep my eyes open, when it comes to cruises, I go by itinerary, ship and convenient time, in the hope to enjoy weather, new beautiful locations and nice food.

I am a 46 year old, mature, and never-married single. I just completed my third cruise. I think I am getting addicted to cruising. I went solo on my first cruise, and I felt a little lonely. During that cruise I found out about ********, a company that hosts singles' cruises. I went with them on my second and third cruise, and I had much more fun. Some mature singles, like myself, are probably fearful of cruising solo. An organized singles cruise might give them a boost.;)

Carnival Valor-May 2007

Carnival Splendor-May 2009

Emerald Princess-Oct 2009

Let me share my experiences of a divorced guy, in his early 40th.

I was on 15 or 16 cruises, and enjoyed most of them. Most of them I was a solo cruiser.

It has never been an issue for me to find someone to socialize or to have a good time with. I couldn't imagine a scenario when I would pay double price for a single cruise, only to be a part of an organized group.:eek:

Things are different if we talk about romance. I had a couple of experiences onboard, however, my statistics shows that romance on cruiseships is an exception rather than a rule. I think that one of the reasons for that is stigma surronding cruises. Many girls I spoke with, simply believe that it's unsafe to cruise without a frind, spouse, parent or companion. In turn, those girls who sail with someone, often don't feel comfortable to get too close with a strange man in the presence of their mothers or friends, for example:cool:

Even though I always keep my eyes open, when it comes to cruises, I go by itinerary, ship and convenient time, in the hope to enjoy weather, new beautiful locations and nice food.

As a single woman in her 40s, the reason I go on hosted singles cruises (I've been on 6) is BECAUSE it's an organized group so I feel safe going by myself. Just a thought!

Christine

As a single woman in her 40s, the reason I go on hosted singles cruises (I've been on 6) is BECAUSE it's an organized group so I feel safe going by myself. Just a thought!

Christine

I understand your point. Even myself, being a male passenger, often heard something like "Oh, you are cruising by yourself? So brave of you!" during my cruises.

On the other hand, I didn't quite get what specifically was so brave.:D

I have been on cruises by myself, with a group of friends, and on singles cruises. I have enjoyed them all and always have met people I still keep in touch with. I found the singles cruises to be fun. It's nice having a set group of people to meet and have all the activities organized for you. There are a few crazy ones with those groups but you can get that anywhere. I found the majority of the people I met on the singles cruises to be very nice and a lot of fun to hang around with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 52 and love to cruise by myself. I find it really hard to meet single women because you end up getting screened by the one or two other women they are cruising with. The only ones that want to hook-up are married (at our age its pretty easy to see ring marks) and cheating.

I just wish there was some way to tell the single women from the married.

Went on a so called single cruise once and found it to be not much different.

Sort of sad.

Christine

From what I remember about people disappearing on cruise ships, they all seem to be married. So, it wasn't safe for these married individuals.

In today's screwy world, you have to be aware of your surroundings where ever you are, and think smart.

I'm going on my 2nd cruise by myself in January.

I agree with the posting that cruise line social person does not put any efort into the Single meet. Recently went to one, Hostess introduced the Dance hosts (men in the 65-75 age range) then handed around the microphone for each person to introdce themselves. After that nothing. Would see entry in the daily sheet, in this mood "if you want to have a singles lunch be at the XXX dining room at 1p.m," went but saw no group or table , so left. Then for ports on day in question there would be this message"Singles if you want to meet to go ashore be at XXX at 9a.m" Far too late of course,

Why could the hostess not have a list of names, so she could send out details at least a day ahead, invitiing us to join up for lunch/tea/or shore trip? Because it would mean work for her, easier to pay lip service to "arranging a meet" and then just ignore us.

Even the dance hosts, always went only to the women sitting at the side of the dance floor, and from observation it was always the same women. They had a "stable" and simply took each partner in turn.

Frankly I have given up on single meets.

• 1 month later...

bobbi, were you on the Royal Caribbean Navigator (or Voyager?) transatlantic from Barcelona to Galveston in Dec 2007? I just wondered, I remember having coffee with a bobbi and a lady from New Orleans in the promenade cafe a few times. Was that you? Loretta, Canada

I like Hal's single solo lunches because they are a more pleasant atmosphere in which to meet than a bar. I also don't like that single events are held on the first night at sea; I want to unpack and get over jetlag. I think that is why a lot of people don't show up. The event is at the wrong time and place. I have been sailing Carnival lately the longer cruise like the transatlantic Dream and coming up the 15 day Panama Canal. Have booked the new furture Magic for 2011

Archived