cruise cancelled -suggestions on how to do land vacation

suzy5555

We were suppose to fly out next Wednesday for our cruise on Celebrity but unfortunately they had to cancel the cruise. I don't want to give up on New Zealand and Australia so now I am scrambling to see if I can now make it a land vacation. We are to fly into Auckland. I currently have 3 nts of hotel already paid for (non-refundable) in Auckland. And I have one night at Marriott paid for in Sydney on March 29th. Arrive Auckland March 13th, depart Sydney March 30th. DH does not want to rent a car. Help:eek:

We were suppose to fly out next Wednesday for our cruise on Celebrity but unfortunately they had to cancel the cruise. I don't want to give up on New Zealand and Australia so now I am scrambling to see if I can now make it a land vacation. We are to fly into Auckland. I currently have 3 nts of hotel already paid for (non-refundable) in Auckland. And I have one night at Marriott paid for in Sydney on March 29th. Arrive Auckland March 13th, depart Sydney March 30th. DH does not want to rent a car. Help:eek:

Why have they cancelled???

I hope Celebrity is providing assistance and compensation.

You will be able to arrange a land vacation easy.

Are your 3 nights of non refundable hotel bookings at the beginning of your trip, eg. 13/3? If so, I'd just organise your NZ travels after arrival. March is not peak school holiday season in NZ. Just contact the NZ Tourist Bureau for suggestions and go with the flow.

As your husband doesn't want to rent a car, you could travel by coach, train or plane within NZ.

Decide when you want to travel from NZ to Sydney and make an inexpensive air booking between Auckland or wherever in NZ and Sydney.

You could easily spend 5 - 7 days in Sydney seeing all the sights Sydney has to offer, or you could easily spend the whole time in NZ with just the 1 night at the Marriott on 29/3 (already booked).

You're going to have a wonderful time. NZ is God's Own Country and Sydney Harbour is the most beautiful in the world.

Bon Voyage!!

If you prefer the idea of someone else taking care of most of the arrangements, I found this tour to fit in with your dates which seems to still be available based on the site below: http://www.kirratours.co.nz/productdetail.asp?tour=coach+both&grunt=s200r17

This site gives more details on the itinerary and has the price at $2070 NZD/person. USD is just above half that amount, although it is a "low-cost" trip so probably not quite to the standard of the Millennium, so suitability depends on what your travel expectations are.

It leaves Auckland 17th March and covers the sights through to Christchurch (more than on the ship). You then have a few days which you could either use to look at Queenstown, or Dunedin or the sounds as your cruise would, before your booking in Sydney (or you could just head to Melbourne or Sydney in that time).

Getting flights out of Christchurch to Sydney won't be a problem and there are some special deals at the moment.

[quote=

Getting flights out of Christchurch to Sydney won't be a problem and there are some special deals at the moment.

Just a quick heads up. That flight from NZ to Oz will have different baggage allowances from your flights from and to the US. Because it will be booked as a separate reservation, you will have to comply with the baggage regulations for this part of the world - in Economy class, one piece of checked baggage, weighing not more than 20 or 23 Kg (about 44 pounds) depending on the airline.

If you can restrict yourselves to one case each, you will find it much easier when travelling around NZ and Australia.

I hope you do manage to pull something together, so you can see our part of the world.

Celle

Just a quick heads up. That flight from NZ to Oz will have different baggage allowances from your flights from and to the US

I hope you do manage to pull something together, so you can see our part of the world.

Celle

Thank you Celle. We had already considered reducing amount of luggage because now we will be handling it with every move. Plus we can possibly wash clothes at hotel. I had not thought about the size/weight restrictions on the airlines interisland flights. Thanks

Oh - We are coming to New Zealand & Australia - it is just a matter of when.

Why not book another cruise line. Princess is there and so is Holland America

I think that is what we have decided to do since airfare is paid for and Celebrity reimburses for fare change fees. Originally, I was trying to make it work for our existing dates since my hotels were paid for and were non-refundable. I have emailed the hotels to see if they will work with me on changing dates.

Suzy,

Either option is well worth the hassle. We've done both. Lots to do in both places - each has its own special reason for visiting and the exchange rate is favorable right now. If you can't get the hotels to change your dates, I suggest you just plan your stays around those dates...but do call the hotels direct - not through 800 numbers and ask to speak to a manager...explain the unusual circumstances (I suspect others are doing the same) and they are likely to work with you.

When you have made your decision, post your travel plans and the helpful people on this board will be happy to help you to plan your stays. So good that you are making lemonade from lemons!

Thank you Celle. We had already considered reducing amount of luggage because now we will be handling it with every move. Plus we can possibly wash clothes at hotel. I had not thought about the size/weight restrictions on the airlines interisland flights. Thanks

Oh - We are coming to New Zealand & Australia - it is just a matter of when.

Jeff Richardson who was to be a tourguide for several of your Cruise mates in Melbourne was offering to help folks get special air prices (think they already have the air usually part of the problem to get refunds) and set up tours to several places in the Melbourne area. Whatever else he was offering I'm not sure. He is a real friend and honest in his desire to help, but this also wouldn't do anything for a tour of NZ.

Let me say here that I really feel for you all. You had THE most active and enthusiastic Roll Call ever, and for this to happen to you is unbelievable. We would have been Heartbroken to miss our cruise. I will say that the compensation offer is MOST generous....full refund and future cruise of equal value, plus some air credit. Hopefully you have travel insurance to fill out the air price if you choose not to go at this time or can't exchange.

Why not book another cruise line. Princess is there and so is Holland America

I think Princess has finished their Australia/NZ for the season. We were on the last Diamond Princess NZ to Australia cruise on 2/10 after that she went on up to Asia.

Archived