Is this too much in Ketchikan?

Party Teacher

We're currently signed up for the 11:15 Lumberjack show (I know it's corny, we get a kick out of that stuff!). We'd also like to take the Blue Line bus up to Totem Bight AND see Creek Street as well. Our ship

will only be docked from 6:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Is this itinerary

possible? How early do the buses run out to Totem Bight? Would it

be better if we did the 8:15 a.m. Lumberjack show? Could we still

fit it all in? What's the walk like from the Lumberjack show to

Creek Street?

Thanks for your help!

PT

We're currently signed up for the 11:15 Lumberjack show (I know it's corny, we get a kick out of that stuff!). We'd also like to take the Blue Line bus up to Totem Bight AND see Creek Street as well. Our ship

will only be docked from 6:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Is this itinerary

possible? How early do the buses run out to Totem Bight? Would it

be better if we did the 8:15 a.m. Lumberjack show? Could we still

fit it all in? What's the walk like from the Lumberjack show to

Creek Street?

Thanks for your help!

PT

If you really want to do the Lumberjack show (can you tell, I'm not into corn??:D) I would pick the 8:15 show. You then have the rest of your time to enjoy Creek Street and Totem Bright. I'll let others comment on bus trasportation, however the walk from the Lumberjack show to Creek Street isn't bad at all; unless of course you you have mobility limitations. I was going to recommend a great shop on Creek street but remembered you didn't ask for recommendations, so I'll just say: There are great shops at the end of the shop section with real Alaska artists/jewelry and not stuff shipped in from the same stores as the Caribbean! Creek Street is alot of fun!

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the shops on Creek Street didn't open til 8:30 or 9AM. We were shocked!! We had an excursion booked for 8AM, so we skeedaddled to Creek Street first, hoping to get in whatever shopping we needed done, but only found a small handful of shops open. This was the first week of June in 2008. And unfortunately, we didn't have enough time after our excursion to head back up there again, beings it was a very short port time. That being said, maybe you should (if you must - LOL!:p) do the Lumberjack show first thing, and then go from there.

I wouldn't enjoy myself with that sort of scheduling. We loved taking the bus to Totem B. Bring some snacks; sit on a bench, and enjoy the scenery; get into the details of the carvings and learn the story of each; walk the beach. Something like this place shouldn't be rushed. Best to just take your time. We'll be heading there again in August.

SEPyle,

I'll be in Ketchikan in May and will be looking for an "icon" ring, those sterling silver rings featuring Orcas, Eagles, Salmon etc., with nuggets. Do you know where I could find a great shop to purchase one? I remember reading about "Salmon Ladders" and "Julie's Gift Shop"........I'm just dying to get one of those rings! Any shopping info you give is greatly appreciated!

Janie:D

.......We loved taking the bus to Totem B. Bring some snacks; sit on a bench, and enjoy the scenery; get into the details of the carvings and learn the story of each; walk the beach. Something like this place shouldn't be rushed. Best to just take your time.......

Hi,

Curious how much time you actually spent at Totem Bight. We are looking at 2 hours there to fit with the bus schedule. Is that more than enough time or should we consider even more?

Thanks

When we were in Ketchikan the lady in the Visitor Center said we would need 3 hours for Bight as BQ said. That was cutting things a bit close so we went to Totem Heritage Center instead. You might check that out because it's a 20 minute, fairly level walk from the top of Creek Street.

If you want to go to Totem Bight I recommend doing it first if you're using city buses, then doing Lumberjack. If something goes amok on the trip to Bight it gives you more time to get back to the ship. Lumberjack is right next to the docks.

SEPyle,

I'll be in Ketchikan in May and will be looking for an "icon" ring, those sterling silver rings featuring Orcas, Eagles, Salmon etc., with nuggets. Do you know where I could find a great shop to purchase one? I remember reading about "Salmon Ladders" and "Julie's Gift Shop"........I'm just dying to get one of those rings! Any shopping info you give is greatly appreciated!

Never heard of these rings. Any internet links so I can get an idea of what you are talking about? What is special about "Julie's Gift Shop"? THanks.

SEPyle,

Janie, I'm not quite sure of the exact kind of ring you are looking for; however here's a link for shopping in Ketchikan:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/directory/AK-Ketchikan/category/Retail.Shopping

One of them is Alaska Eagle Arts Gallery, the shop I mentioned. Marvin Oliver is the artist and my husband bought me beautiful pendants two different visits to Ketchikan. He is often there and a wonderful memory of Alaska are his prints made into note cards. He signed some for us and are great to frame and make a great wall grouping. He and his wife are really nice people!

Hope you find your 'icon' rings!

Sounds too tight, seems like you could get back after the ship leaves.

You will have lots of time to do the LumberJack show and Creek Street. They are close to the ship. I would go to Creek street then the Lumber Jack show at 11:15. Then you could go back to the ship, do some shopping, or maybe fit something else in. If you try all three I would try Totem first. If you run late you won't miss the ship. Maybe you will have to pass on the Lumber Jack show. If they have a 12:00 show you might be able to get all in. I would start back to the ship no later than 1:30. Be sure you know the boarding time and not the time the ship leaves the port.

Not sure if you are sailing out of or into Vancouver, but if you do have time scheduled here, we have the same lumberjack show (for free) on Grouse Mountain. Admittedly, you would need to pay for the gondola up (unless you feel up to the Grouse Grind) but it's well worth the trip and you could then skip the show in Ketchikan. Just a thought....

Hi,

Curious how much time you actually spent at Totem Bight. We are looking at 2 hours there to fit with the bus schedule. Is that more than enough time or should we consider even more?

Thanks

An hour is doable at Totem Bight with brief looks at the Totems, clan house, etc. slow walking past. It's not a large area.

http://www.metalartsgroup.com/MAGcatalog2007.pdf

Check out this PDF on Native Alaskan jewlery. The rings I'm interesed in are on the PDF page 17. If you look closer to the top, you will see bracelets of the same critters as the rings, with a closer view of the stones and nuggets. I don't know why, but I have become obsessed with these silly rings! The way I understand it, you can order any ring set with any stones and /or nuggets, and they are made by Metalworks in Seattle. They are original Alaskan artists' designs, however. The one I want with nuggets and two stones (Eagle) is $170.00.

Has anybody seen these rings? I'm going to post this in a main thread.

Thanks, all!:D

[url=http://www.metalartsgroup.com/MAGcatalog2007.pdf][/url]

Wow! You guys are AMAZING! We've tentatively decided to keep our

reservation at the 11:15 Lumberjack Show and forgo Totem Bight.

The Heritage Center would be a perfect subsitution and maybe we

could swing by the hatchery as well.

On another note, we are leaving from Vancouver on our cruise and

are coming in a day early to meet up with friends. I'll definately

be looking into the Lumberjack show there.

Thanks SO MUCH for the great suggestions and info!

PT

Not sure if you are sailing out of or into Vancouver, but if you do have time scheduled here, we have the same lumberjack show (for free) on Grouse Mountain. Admittedly, you would need to pay for the gondola up (unless you feel up to the Grouse Grind) but it's well worth the trip and you could then skip the show in Ketchikan. Just a thought....

can you give a little more info on this. We are going out of Vancouver in July and will be there a couple of days early. We are looking for something for one of those days and this might be it.

This is the link for the "summer" on Grouse Mountain

http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/summer-activities/

It is easily accessible from Downtown via seabus and bus. Once at the base you can choose to ride the gondola (which is currently $34.95) or walk up the mountain via the Grouse Grind trail. This isn't too difficult if you take your time, but the gondola is my preference! Once at the top, all of the activities (incouding the Lumberjack show) are free. I highly recommend the mountain if you get decent weather - great views, great walking trails, and they even have ziplines now!

Are the ziplines free too?! We are ending in Vancouver and will be there for one day so we don't kill ourselves trying to make the flight home and are looking for things to do with kids.

Nope- http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/summer-activities/air-grouse-mountain-ziplining-adventure.asp

Wow! You guys are AMAZING! We've tentatively decided to keep our

reservation at the 11:15 Lumberjack Show and forgo Totem Bight.

The Heritage Center would be a perfect subsitution and maybe we

could swing by the hatchery as well.

On another note, we are leaving from Vancouver on our cruise and

are coming in a day early to meet up with friends. I'll definately

be looking into the Lumberjack show there.

Thanks SO MUCH for the great suggestions and info!

PT

Just for clairfication, Totem Heritage Museum is a completely different experience than Totem Bight. This museum is preservation priority, the totems are in various stages of decay, no brightly painted beautiful totems. All, "browns" with barely visable color. As another option, be sure to look where you are going in town, it's loaded with totems, at Whale Park, entrance to Creek St, at the dock, out the back the Fox Lodge etc etc etc. A nice exhibit that also is worthwhile, is next to the Lumberjack Show, The Public Lands, Ketchikan Discovery Center, a couple dollars admission but also has details about totems.

The totems at Bight were carved for display at the park, I believe between 1930-1950. You can download and print out explanations of the various carvings.

Totems at Totem Heritage are hundreds of years old and displays focus more on the villages and their residents. Photography is difficult since many of the totems are kept horizontal for close-up viewing and behind protective plexiglas. They tend to come out brown and dark as BQ said, even with a good camera. We learned a lot about the cultural history of the area. The hatchery you read about is adjacent and there is a discount for purchasing admission to both; however in early July of last year the salmon were not yet running so we skipped the hatchery.

Near the cruise docks the USFS has a Southeast Interpretive Center. It doesn't get much mention on this board. There are exhibits explaining the geology, flora, fauna, history, and resources of the region. Their bookstore is one of the best I saw on our cruise.

Grouse Mtn is rather pricey but the views are spectacular. You can see the peak from downtown Vancouver and decide whether or not to go based on visibility. We arrived around 5pm and many of the attractions at the top had shut down for the day (lumberjack show, raptor show, etc). Be sure to go early enough to see them. The zipline had just been built. It didn't look that great to me and we later overheard some people saying they felt ripped off.

Capilano Park is a short distance from Grouse and we enjoyed it too.

Archived