Take a RC excursion to Trunk Bay in St. Thomas or go on your own?

We did it on our own. We took a taxi to the ferry, and a taxi to Trunk Bay on St. John. We got back to St. Thomas in plenty of time. If you go to the excursion section, you can get all kinds of info on this, that's how I researched it.. By the way, Trunk Bay is GORGEOUS!! It's worth seeing it, they also have an underwater snorkle trail.

To do it on your own, get a taxi to Red Hook, catch the ferry to Cruz Bay on St. John, then take a taxi to Trunk Bay. Going back you do the reverse, although you could also take the Charlotte Amalie ferry which docks downtown to get you closer to the pier.

Here's a link to the schedule and rates for the ferry. http://st-thomas.com/ferries.html

No matter what, if you go own your own, make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, at least a couple of hour. Do not plan on taking the last ferry, give yourself at least 2 ferry times to make it back to the ship, as sometimes the late afternoon ferries are packed.

I am not a risk taker like my fellow board members. I'd take the RCI excursion for this one, since the ship cannot leave you if anything should happen(flat tire, engine blows, you get it). St. Johns is 40 minutes away, so be very careful!

We took RCI's excursion a couple of years ago when the price was only $48 pp. There was no trek across St. Thomas to get to the ferry. We boarded our ferry right beside the ship. So considerably less hassle. Of course, transportation from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay was included. Again, less hassle that going on your own. We had about 2 hours at Trunk Bay. Would do this again, but last Oct when in St. T, this tour was not offered.

We did it on our own and it was very easy. Sounds more complicated than it is. We were in port late, so we were confident on the time.

Took a open air taxi (truck with bench seats actually) to downtown Charlotte Amalie for a few dollars. Took the ferry from CA, we did not take the taxi to Red Hook. The ferry from downtown CA is a longer ride, and sails less often, but the schedule worked for us. We thought this was easier than getting a taxi to Red Hook. Time wise and cost it is a wash.

Took another taxi (truck with bench seats) to Trunk Bay beach.

I'll go again, but next time I'll go to a different beach on St. John. Trunk Bay was too crowded for my liking. :)

To do it on your own, get a taxi to Red Hook, catch the ferry to Cruz Bay on St. John, then take a taxi to Trunk Bay. Going back you do the reverse, although you could also take the Charlotte Amalie ferry which docks downtown to get you closer to the pier.

Here's a link to the schedule and rates for the ferry. http://st-thomas.com/ferries.html

No matter what, if you go own your own, make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, at least a couple of hour. Do not plan on taking the last ferry, give yourself at least 2 ferry times to make it back to the ship, as sometimes the late afternoon ferries are packed.

We did exactly as you did. It was super easy and taking the ferry also gives you a chance to see a little of the coastline. Coming back, we took the Charlotte Amalie ferry back. It was a few bucks more $$, but you didn't have to mess with a taxi from Redhook back to the pier. From Charlotte Amalie, our daughter and SIL took an easy walk back to the ship. Others took a very short cab ride back. Trunk Bay is indeed gorgeous and Cruz Bay very quaint. If you're a snorkeler, you'll love it!!

Trunk Bay can easily be done on your own. We did it in November 2007 on our own and it was very easy and much cheaper than going through the cruiseline. We took a taxi to red hook and caugh the 9am ferry to Cruz Bay. Once there we took another taxi to Trunk Bay. When we arrived we practically had the beach to ourselves.

Going back to the ship we did the reverse. We caught the 2pm ferry back to Red Hook which allowed us time for shopping at Havensight and we were still on the ship early.

We did it on our own twice and had no problems at all. On the way back we take the ferry to Charlotte Amalie and do some shopping and still had plenty of time. Trunk Bay is beautiful, a must see.

While we were there the cruise ship tour came and went in no time. You do not get much time on the ships tour.

Thanks for all the responses. One more question, for two people, going on your own to Trunk Bay, with all the cab's and ferry costs, how much would we be looking to pay total?

When we went in Nov 2007 it was around $70 for the two of us.

I can't remember prices but I do know it was less going on our own rather than the ship's excursion.

We did both, on our own as a family of 4 and it was no problem. Headed out as soon as we left the ship and by the time we were ready to leave the ship's tours were arriving so the beach was not at all crowded while there. We left in plenty of time to avoid the late afternoon traffic jams and shopped at Havensight. The whole taxi, ferri, taxi sounds complicated but it's not and the scenery is beautiful.

Another time hubby was diving and the kids were fairly young so I opted to go with the ship's excursion-NEVER again! So much time wasted by inconsiderate people who were told to be back at the bus at so and so time and arrived 20-30 minutes late which of course we had to wait for them. Our son was probably 8 or 9 and small for his size and no one would switch seats with me or him for that matter so he was sitting on the outside of the open air bus on St Johns with me several seats behind him. Excuse the vent, most likely just was on the excursion with a really rude group of people!

So I would ultimately say, best done early and on your own. Just be careful of the time when leaving so you have plenty of time to get back.

Trunk Bay is gorgeous and well worth the trip! I've also heard that if a couple, the champagne cruise there is very romantic!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

We did this on our own this past September and it was a snap! Much easier than it sounds. We are doing fewer and fewer ship excursions because they take so long to organize and get people shuffled from one place to the next. A four hour excursion to St. John gets you about an hour and a half on the beach; the rest is traveling time and people moving - forget that!!! We like to come and go as we please. We just make sure to get back to the vicinity of the ship a couple of hours before sailaway.

Thanks for all the responses. One more question, for two people, going on your own to Trunk Bay, with all the cab's and ferry costs, how much would we be looking to pay total?

The cost of going on your own -vs- the cost of a ship tour is very close to the same. The difference is the amount of beach time. If you go on your own, you will get more time at Trunk Bay.

I think around $75 is correct. There is a fee to get into the beach. I think it was 4 bucks a person.

We took RCI's excursion a couple of years ago when the price was only $48 pp. There was no trek across St. Thomas to get to the ferry. We boarded our ferry right beside the ship. So considerably less hassle. Of course, transportation from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay was included. Again, less hassle that going on your own. We had about 2 hours at Trunk Bay. .

:cool: Have to agree! There was no "down time" whatsoever with the ships excursion! No getting a taxi then waiting for the ferry and then getting another taxi ... and then doing it once again going back.

We enjoyed the excursion thru the ship much more than when we've done it on our own. EVERY minute of the 4 1/2 excursion was enjoyable!!!

No matter which way ... do hope you'll go to to Trunk Bay! :)

Did the excursion last September and did have to wait for the Carnival ship crowd to get to our ferry...a long time. Everyone from Mariner was steamed at this. But the next time, we will do it alone just to avoid the waiting and get to see a little more and more beach time. Trunk Bay is beautiful, but I'm sure it was better before it became a park. The snorkel trail is nice, but so many people are so careless, the coral is really damaged. But would go again. Here is a pic from the open air bus we went in.

hx3upf.jpg

Archived