Questions about the Sanctuary

stargazer

We are sailing on the Emerald in April and having never cruised with Princess before I just wondered if the sanctuary is the same as Royal Caribbean's solarium?

Is it completely covered over or is there an open area for sunbathing?

Does anyone know the cost of a 10 day pass?

Any help appreciated

We are sailing on the Emerald in April and having never cruised with Princess before I just wondered if the sanctuary is the same as Royal Caribbean's solarium?

Is it completely covered over or is there an open area for sunbathing?

Does anyone know the cost of a 10 day pass?

Any help appreciated

Wow, a lot of questions on the Sanctuary lately. I've never been on RCL, so cannot compare. But the Sanctuary on the Emerald is on the top deck all the way forward. Most of it is protected from sun, partially by a bulkhead and the remainder by a fabric sunbreak. There is an area both port and starboard that is not shaded at all.

The 10-day package on our cruise was $150 pp. We booked it on the day of embarkation right at the Sanctuary. We chose our day bed for the week, which we chose in the shaded area. Our attendants told us that if we wanted to get some sun anytime, they would make arrangements for us in the sun area, provided space was available.

Our "Serenity Attendants" ... Joy, Soonshin (sp?), Wayan ... were incredible.

The Lotus Pool is one deck down, and it has an area for sunning as well.

Hope that helps!

The Sanctuary is not at all like the solarium on RC. The solarium on RC used to be very comparable to the covered pool areas on the Grand class ships; however, with the installation of MUTS on the second of the two main pools, that area is no longer covered and has taken on quite a different feel.

The Sanctuary is 1.) exclusive (pay only, either by the half day or entire cruise), 2.) quiet, 3.) very comfortable, with 6"+ high foam cushions on each recliner and 4.) offers no pool or hot tubs. You can walk down one level of stairs and access the adults only Lotus spa pool and hot tubs, but for the most part, the Sanctuary is an area of chaise lounges and massage tents. Some lounges are in the shade; a few are not. But basically you're paying for the exclusive right to use a particular lounge chair, the service (cucumber water is free of charge) and the opportunity to purchase massages or specialty items.

BTW...I missed the glass roof on the solarium on the Mariner OTS. Like Princess, RC really lost something when they gave up their covered, indoor pool areas.

Wow, a lot of questions on the Sanctuary lately. I've never been on RCL, so cannot compare. But the Sanctuary on the Emerald is on the top deck all the way forward. Most of it is protected from sun, partially by a bulkhead and the remainder by a fabric sunbreak. There is an area both port and starboard that is not shaded at all.

The 10-day package on our cruise was $150 pp. We booked it on the day of embarkation right at the Sanctuary. We chose our day bed for the week, which we chose in the shaded area. Our attendants told us that if we wanted to get some sun anytime, they would make arrangements for us in the sun area, provided space was available.

Our "Serenity Attendants" ... Joy, Soonshin (sp?), Wayan ... were incredible.

The Lotus Pool is one deck down, and it has an area for sunning as well.

Hope that helps!

Interested in why you booked for the week and was it worth it? We are on the crown with 3 port days not including Princess Cays. Don't know if we should go for the 300.00 for the two of us to have piece of mind that we can walk in anytime without the worry if it is booked up.

Was it worth it?

Thanks,

Jay:D

Interested in why you booked for the week and was it worth it? We are on the crown with 3 port days not including Princess Cays. Don't know if we should go for the 300.00 for the two of us to have piece of mind that we can walk in anytime without the worry if it is booked up.

Was it worth it?

Thanks,

Your's would not be 300.....since the $150pp was for a 10 day cruise.

Was it worth it?

Thanks,

Chrysalis is correct. I believe the current rate on a 7 day is $105 pp. Ours was a 10-day cruise at $150 pp.

For us, yes, it was worth it. We did not book a balcony this trip, only a window cabin. It was something we really wanted to try. We did not even know you could book it for the entire cruise, as we just intended to go on sea days. But then we just started thinking that we usually get back to the ship around 3. We usually go up on deck, but don't particularly care for the large pool areas. We used to hang by the aft pool for this reason. So, when we checked it out an embarkation, it looked so inviting that we just did it, and had no regrets.

No kids (sorry). No drunks (not sorry). I never saw anyone smoking (uh, oh ... that should get some comments). No uncontrollable music (they have mp3 players for you to use, if you need one). No chair hogs (now I'm really going off the deep end for sure). And the Serenity Attendants really went out of their way to do anything you needed or wanted. We made sure to tip them extra and give them each a "You Made A Difference" card, b/c they did.

We had an extra sea day b/c of weather. Even when it was cloudy or seas were rough, where our day beds were were fairly protected. We sat up there while everyone else was hunkered down inside on bad weather days.

On port days, it was great to get back to the ship, drop stuff in the room and head up there for may daily mai tai and usually something to eat. I'd sit and type up my "Live From" and then post it, as WiFi was available. Then we'd sit and enjoy sailaway and visiting with our cruise-long neighbors.

B/c it was such a great experience, we've opted for another window cabin on our Ruby cruise and will do the Sanctuary on that as well. We've never really "used" our balcony in the past. Maybe step out in the morning. But we never hang out there during the day. But we sure used the Sanctuary. On sea days, we'd go out there after breakfast and literally would not return to the cabin until 5:30 or so.

Again, there's been much discussion on here about paying for this ... to each his own. For us, aside from the Chef's Table, it's been one of the best things we've done on a Princess ship.

Edit: I should add ... we've been to Princess Cays. We stayed on the ship this time. Our Sanctuary "neighbors" were on a B2B -- 20 days. Not sure if they got a break or had to pay $300 pp. It was their first time too, and they said they'll never do it any other way, assuming the ship they sail has Sanctuary.

The Sanctuary is a special area for adults only. Below are three pictures from the Crown Princess Sanctuary area. I assume that the area on the Emerald would be similar.

Only you can decide if it is worth the cost to be in that area.

19205837_5259_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0248.jpg.15ebbfe9fcf1b0f1dc1e775122b61864.jpg

942964569_5269_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0249.jpg.729696245323e65df5765de4482346bc.jpg

505597480_5279_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0250.jpg.e7dcc646ba7e70f46d2d6af834516585.jpg

The Sanctuary is a special area for adults only. Below are three pictures from the Crown Princess Sanctuary area. I assume that the area on the Emerald would be similar.

Only you can decide if it is worth the cost to be in that area.

The Emerald looks just the same.

Archived