Carnival/Princess Shareholder Benefit for Canadians?

sexyaznboy

Hi there, question for my fellow Canadian cruisers. We bought 100 shares of Carnival for the OBC but when it was credited it was in Canadian dollars and not in US dollars? It seems to me it should be in US dollars? I checked out the benefit page and there is no area where I can find that Canadians onlly get Canadian dollars credited. I've put in an email to customer relations, this would not be fair, as we bought the shares in US dollars. Anybody out there have had the same problem?

being a newbie to stock and purchasing, please tell me how to go about buying the 100 shares.

thanks.

and I hope the OBC will be in USD

how long has Carnival had this opportunity for passengers to buy shares and get OBC?

being a newbie to stock and purchasing, please tell me how to go about buying the 100 shares.

thanks.

how long has Carnival had this opportunity for passengers to buy shares and get OBC?

Quite a while. Every year there is a question whether they will continue this, but they just did for another year. When we first bought the stock, the OBC couldn't be combinable with anything else, but now you can get the OBC from the stock as well as any other OBC you might get - such as booking on board. Nancy

Are you sure you are reading this right ??? We always have received our credits in U.S. dollars, the last one was just two weeks ago on the Crown Princess.

Yes, I was checking on www.princess.com to print out my boarding pass and noticed 250 dollars and then (CAD) next to it. As far as I know, the credit should be in US dollars, I mean, for goodness sake, we pay our tips and expenses on board in US! Goes to show you have to check EVERYTHING before you go on board, once you are there, its a pain to chase things down! I sent an email to customer relations, I hope this is settled before we leave. Thanks for the response.

Yes, I was checking on www.princess.com to print out my boarding pass and noticed 250 dollars and then (CAD) next to it. As far as I know, the credit should be in US dollars, I mean, for goodness sake, we pay our tips and expenses on board in US! Goes to show you have to check EVERYTHING before you go on board, once you are there, its a pain to chase things down! I sent an email to customer relations, I hope this is settled before we leave. Thanks for the response.

I've emailed about this and she assured me I will receive the shipboard credit in USD. I've printed a copy of the email.

thanks.

If you call your bank, they probably have investment advisors who can help you buy the shares. Or you can look in the yellowpages for stockbrokers. CCL is currently at $17.30 on the NYSE, so it would cost $1730 US. If you're younger and/or plan to take lots of Carnival family cruises, especially long ones, it wouldn't be a bad investment. You could make your money back in 7 cruises and still have the shares.

I've emailed about this and she assured me I will receive the shipboard credit in USD. I've printed a copy of the email.

So you had the same problem with this as I did?

Also, question, if we wanted to pay for the gratuities with this shipboard credit, am I to assume that we should have both parties in our room pay with one credit card? I don't think they are able to "split" the shareholder credit between the two people if two separate credit cards are used, am I correct?

So you had the same problem with this as I did?

Also, question, if we wanted to pay for the gratuities with this shipboard credit, am I to assume that we should have both parties in our room pay with one credit card? I don't think they are able to "split" the shareholder credit between the two people if two separate credit cards are used, am I correct?

Yup....I've got the same problem. We will see what happens when I get on board on Friday. This is the first Princess cruise that I have taken since I bought the stock. I was kind of put off by the way she answered my query about this like "of course it's USD". If that is the case I don't know why they express it the way they do.

I can't help you with the second problem. I'm going solo on this cruise.

Yup....I've got the same problem. We will see what happens when I get on board on Friday. This is the first Princess cruise that I have taken since I bought the stock. I was kind of put off by the way she answered my query about this like "of course it's USD". If that is the case I don't know why they express it the way they do.

I can't help you with the second problem. I'm going solo on this cruise.

I emailed Liza McDaniel, not sure who you were conversing with. I sent her my queries I hope she doesn't give me attitude. By the way, I did a board search and apparently this has happened to other Canadians as well. You are 100% right, they explicitly said (CAD) next the amount and that is disconcerting, and we had a referral credit for 25 dollars that said (USD) after it. So obviously there is something really wrong with the way they process things. Shows you have to double check on everything, I can see us getting on board and them saying, oh no sir, it is obviously in Canadian dollars, I'd be pissed! Good luck, hope things work out for you. I still would like to know if I need to change both credit cards to one account, because the amount for the OBC covers almost the entire gratuities.

My currewnt cruise credit also says CAD beside it but I think that is more to do with the fact that the cruise was paid for in CAD$ than the fact that the OBC is. I certainly got it in US$ last year even though it said CAD.

I emailed Liza McDaniel, not sure who you were conversing with. I sent her my queries I hope she doesn't give me attitude. By the way, I did a board search and apparently this has happened to other Canadians as well. You are 100% right, they explicitly said (CAD) next the amount and that is disconcerting, and we had a referral credit for 25 dollars that said (USD) after it. So obviously there is something really wrong with the way they process things. Shows you have to double check on everything, I can see us getting on board and them saying, oh no sir, it is obviously in Canadian dollars, I'd be pissed! Good luck, hope things work out for you. I still would like to know if I need to change both credit cards to one account, because the amount for the OBC covers almost the entire gratuities.

Yup Liza is the same one I emailed. I can see it being an issue onboard as well so I'm taking the email. I've got a big mouth at times so they will probably make sure to give it to me in USD just to shut me up:D. Enjoy your cruise. It will be so nice to get out of the great white north.

I don't think they are able to "split" the shareholder credit between the two people if two separate credit cards are used, am I correct?

The shareholder credit in its entirety is placed on only one of the room accounts. It is not split.

For those Canadians who booked passage (old term huh?) with a Canadian TA, was your OBC in CAD or USD? If you booked with a Cdn TA then as the location of the booking agent is in Canada, then the OBC might have been in CAD

I have booked through an online US cruise agency (it's secret and I can't say where) but for my upcoming 30 day trans Pacific repo (SYD/LAX) on the Star in Oct 09 the OBC is in USD.

Best bet I'd say is to ask both the TA and Princess to ensure you get the same answer.

Ciao for now!!!

The shareholder credit in its entirety is placed on only one of the room accounts. It is not split.

What I meant was if the two people in the same room have two different credit cards, what happens to the OBC? Is it only in one of the names?

What I meant was if the two people in the same room have two different credit cards, what happens to the OBC? Is it only in one of the names?

The OBC goes to the person that has the stock in his/her name. If it's joint, it goes to the person who applied for it.

Update: I was told by email that the shipboard credits are in US dollars but that we paid in Canadian dollars. Huh? What does one have to do with the other?

Anyways, I'm really confused about one other thing, I got this as a reply re: this credit. I ALWAYS thought that we could use this for gratuities????

THIS BENEFIT CANNOT BE USED FOR GRATUITIES CHARGED TO YOUR ONBOARD ACCOUNT. PLEASE REVIEW SHAREHOLDER BENEFIT WHICH LISTS RESTRICTIONS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

Anyways, I'm really confused about one other thing, I got this as a reply re: this credit. I ALWAYS thought that we could use this for gratuities????

It can be used for anything charged to your onboard account. It shows up as a negative amount owed. As items are charged, be it the daily hotel charge, a drink at the bar, a shore excursion, etc., the onboard credit(s) from any source will be used first.

Update: I was told by email that the shipboard credits are in US dollars but that we paid in Canadian dollars. Huh? What does one have to do with the other?

THIS BENEFIT CANNOT BE USED FOR GRATUITIES CHARGED TO YOUR ONBOARD ACCOUNT. PLEASE REVIEW SHAREHOLDER BENEFIT WHICH LISTS RESTRICTIONS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

This statement is not new; it's always been present. However, when you are credited with the shareholder amount to your account, it appears just that way; as a credit. Therefore, whenever a charge is posted, the amount is just deducted from said credit. Bottom line: yes, it can be applied towards gratuities or any other charge that goes on to your account.

This statement is not new; it's always been present. However, when you are credited with the shareholder amount to your account, it appears just that way; as a credit. Therefore, whenever a charge is posted, the amount is just deducted from said credit. Bottom line: yes, it can be applied towards gratuities or any other charge that goes on to your account.

Thank you so much PIA, you've put my mind at ease. I wish they would make things like this clearer. In my opinion, the main important use for the OBC IS for the gratuities, unless you plan to do a lot of tours or buy a lot of things from the gift shop, your main expense is going to be the tips. So its kind of silly for them to try to exclude this.

• 1 year later...
Please refresh my memory as to what official form we need to send to Princess to let them know we have CCL shares.

Thanks!

A copy of your brokerage statement showing ownership of minimum 100 shares of CCl, together with your booking number, ship name and date. Do this after final payment has been made and recorded.

Archived