snob question

raysue

We have neve cruised on Celeb., we have cruised on princess, h.a.l.,and rccl.

We are booked for the Mercury Sept. of 2005, I went to the web site to do my pre-registration (Yes, I know, it is almost a year away.... I am toooooo excited!!!) One of the questions thay asked was OUR OCCUPATION !! Is that so the "doctors and lawyers" will not have to associate with us "tinker, taylors and candlestick makers"???? Does this not maybe indicate that the nasty rumers, denied on these boards, could be TRUE ??? Why else would they want to know peoples occupation? Any ideas????

I understand that yall had an earthquake the other week. Was there any damage? Man, it seems like yall just keep catching bad luck in Grenada. Maybe things will get back to normal soon. I look forward to being there in Feb 2005. Hank

:) I am also going X. for the first time, but such a thought never crossed my mind. We are not 'all doctors or lawyers', we are all 'people', fellow cruisers. In a dozen cruises I have only met two persons whom I disliked. Relax, and remember to pack a smile, these cost nothing.:) :) :) john taylor

Love Celebrity more than any other.... older crowd, fewer kids, generally like to dress up.. fantastic food... love to travel with travelers not revelers...

I understand that yall had an earthquake the other week. Was there any damage? Man, it seems like yall just keep catching bad luck in Grenada. Maybe things will get back to normal soon. I look forward to being there in Feb 2005. Hank
Nah, earthquake was in Dominica to the north (which is currently replacing Grenada as a stop for the Constellation).

Things are already returning to some state of normalcy - businesses opening regular hours, clubs and bars open, etc. - and the state of Grenada is infinitely improved. A lot of rebuilding needs to be done though. I'm out of my own house till around March :eek:

Grenada should be quite ready for you by Feb. Obviously it's still going to be in a state, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Hope you enjoy your visit and your cruise.

Actually there isn't a catagory for doctor--the description is "health services" which could cover various occupations in the health field. And I don't remember lawyer being one of the choices either.

Someone had told me Celebrity did a better job at matching them up with compatible dinnermates than other cruiselines. I thought perhaps this question might be used for that purpose? Maybe not--it was just the first thing I thought of when I saw the question & tried to fit myself into one of their categories!

Is that so the "doctors and lawyers" will not have to associate with us "tinker, taylors and candlestick makers"???? else would they want to QUOTE]

joke joke lol is so the doctors and lawyers dont have to associate with the people who cant spell tailor lol lol lol

joke joke lol is so the doctors and lawyers dont have to associate with the people who cant spell tailor lol lol lol

Trust me, I'm in medical school right now and you should see the spelling and grammar some of my classmates have.

My sister is doing her doctorate in physical therapy and she says the same.

I'm tired of seeing you're and your mixed up.

This board is open to all people.......all over the world......those that can spell correctly in the English language and those that use other languages and English is not their native or primary language.......so they might be very educated people with all sorts of professional degrees even if 'we' do not spell correctly. Also some have problems with English language for number of reasons .......should we criticize them.......the guidelines of this board (if 'you' read them) indicates any spelling is welcome on this board.

Quote from the guidelines:

"Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from' learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies"

Wes

Just to clarify, I was simply pointing out that the "doctors and lawyers" are hardly an example to use for good spelling.

The fact that they went to professional school doesn't really mean much in this regard. Not like they were English majors or anything.

I have no problem with people making a spelling mistake, because as you pointed out, not everyone's first language is English. Hell, I make 'em all the time.

They use the questions about age, occupation, to help put together tablemates for dinner. We have been on 8 cruises so far and they have done an excellent job of putting our tables together. Never exactly the same occupations, but in the same general field and age groups too. Also they ask the information for statistical and marketing, etc. purposes.

all over the Also some have problems with English language for number of reasons .......should we criticize them.......>>>>>

no one especially i was critizing anyone for their spelling ---i dont know how i could have made my post any clearer that the post was meant as a joke--sorr if anyone was offended

I thought they put tables together according to your cabin. (suites, catagories) I don't recall having table mates that were matched by occupation or age. I've been seated with business execs, chefs, a retired pro athlete and a real estate developer. None of which were in the same occupation as me.

I agree that the question is just for marketing and demographic use.

I agree that the question is just for marketing and demographic use.
I have trouble imagining that any cruise line would take the time and trouble to work out table assignements based on the response (or lack of) to an optional question.

"Hey honey, how about I register as a nuke-u-lar scientist this time. We didn't get very interesting tablemates when I told them I was El Presidente of a Banana Republic. Well, except for the two guys from the CIA."

It's marketing.

Sincerely,

Charlie

I believe they may use this information for seating purposes but also they are profiling their customer base for the purposes of marketing and understanding who their customer is. Perhaps someone can ask the cruise director at a CC connections party - "how do you use this information?"

I wish I knew that was the way the put tables together.....fortunelty I have pretty much had good tablemates. Maybe it works a good % of the time because there are so many people....but it doesn't work all the time.

First cruise......Maitr'd was nice and put me with a couple from these boards....but the 3 of us were put with 2 couples who we had NOTHING in common with....and they didn't "sail together" either....it was not a fun first evening.....the 3 of us asked to be changed and luckly we were put with 2 very nice couples....

Last time on Century......ended up I was with a young couple...we started out at a table of 8....it was one of those cruises where we did not have a full table all week:eek: ......so, I am thinking what you do for a living doesn't have a whole lot to do with your tablemates.

Quote by Charlie:

"have trouble imagining that any cruise line would take the time and trouble to work out table assignements based on the response (or lack of) to an optional question."

I agree.......

lougee1043

I didn't see the joke, but looking at an earlier post from you....

"going on a 12 niter and i will bring 1 dark suit-1 sports jacket - 3 pr slacks

-2 appropriate shirts and ties for all formal evenings

for the others i will includ polo type shirts w/collars.

will also pack bearing in mind that i will send some of the stuff to the laundry so i will not bring 3 dress shirts --or 9 polo type etc etc"

Enough said, stones and glass houses etc.

I am a retired fireman an I don't really care what they think about me. I think they like me well enough to take my money just like they do everybody else. If the reason is that they try to place people that are from the upper class together, I am sorry . I can only be myself and try to get people to like me. If the rich or educated don't want to be around my wife an I so be it. I hear of some people that bragg about how much has been left to them by their parents. The only thing I know is that I had to make it the hard way an I probably enjoy the one or two cruises we take per year just as much as they do. I might have to stay a deck or two lower than they do but I bet I sleep just as good as they do. Maybe we need a cruise for the middle class peolpe.

Archived