Cruise or Jamaica AI

Lynne79

I'm guessing at least some of you are island junkies and have done a Jamaica land-based trip as well as a cruise. Can you tell me which you prefer? We've been on 1 cruise and loved it. We thought Jamaica might be fun for something affordable and different. But this is an important anniversary trip, so we want to make sure we'll love it.

We're thinking about the Riu Negril or a Carnival Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Thanks in advance!

I would take the cruise . . . But, then I'm a left-wing commie-pinko ****** who thinks that Jamaica needs to learn a lesson in human rights.

Jamaica will never see any of my dollars. There are other AIs on other islands.

I suspect since this is a forum for cruise fanatics, you'll get mostly votes for the cruise. Add my vote to the mix.

Part of what I like about a cruise is being able to visit more than one location on the same trip. I would venture that the cruise option would be less costly as well. We considered a land-based resort a year or so ago and found we just couldn't afford it. The cruise was a much better value.

Of course, with the economy the way it is, resorts may be slashing prices now. In that case, it may boil down to preference, rather than cost.

Happy Anniversary!!

Hi,

my first cruise is coming up but I did AI in Jamaica last year. It was good, the food was lovely and the cocktails fab, entertainment ok. I wouldn't go back though, but wouldn't not recommend it either. If it's a really special holiday then I would choose elsewhere and save Jamaica for another time.

Hope that helps

I would take a cruise anyday, but if I was going to do an island AI, I would go to Jamaica. Its my favorite port when I go on a cruise. Dh and I had the best time there on our W Carib. cruise. We liked Jamaica better than Cayman and Cozumel. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info so far. yorkshireminnie, can you elaborate on why you wouldn't go back?

I like cruising because you can see new places as well. We were thinking a land vacation might be nice so we can feel the sand between our toes whenever we want. DH chose Jamaica over DR or Mexico. I would be excited about the beach and the possible excursions, but the resort doesn't seem that special to me.

I'm sure I'll get more votes for the cruise than Jamaica, but I like cc because the reviews and advice is usually good and detailed. (And honestly, I think I'm leaning toward the cruise. Price-wise they are about the same, but it is only a 3+ star resort.)

I don't know if my opinion is worth much - I've only done one cruise, and that was to Alaska, but I have been to an AI in Jamaica and loved it. I was able to relax by the pool, sit in a hammock with a good book, lay on the beach and not have to deal with chair hogs :eek: or huge crowds. I could pick up my gear and go snorkeling any time I wanted, and I did so a couple of times a day most days. Drinks were included, so I could have fruit smoothies, soda and alcohol whenever I wanted without paying a fortune like on a ship. I did water aerobics and yoga, free of charge. (I read recently that yoga classes cost $12 a session on some ships!) The only things I paid extra for at the AI were getting my hair braided (so much easier to deal with when you are swimming a lot!) and a massage - in a cabana out on a jetty, with the sound of the waves and cool breezes blowing through.

If you want to see different ports, go on excursions, run all over doing different things, then perhaps a cruise would be better. But if you just want to relax, sit in the sun, go for a swim and spend time with your sweetheart, I'd go for the AI!

Hey there Nitnyleo!

Fellow crazy person here that refuses to give Jamaica ANY of my money. Won't even book a cruise there and stay on the ship (port fees still get paid). Maybe I'll change my mind when (if) Jamaica ever decides that ALL people deserve to live and not be the targets of organized abuse.

Hi Lynne,

I don't tend to go back to the same places as there are so many other places to see. I have done AI in Cuba, Dominican R. Egypt and the Maldives. Also done a lot of the Med. We always do our homework beforehand and can honestly say we've always enjoyed ourselves.The Maldives is the most beautiful place I have ever been and the one place I would love to go back to. I also loved Goa (B+B is all that's needed there though!) and we would go back there.

(Not sure where you live).

Thanks for more info.

We live in Colorado, and I have been landlocked my entire life, so I've never really had much of a tropical experience (except our 1 cruise and SoCal - if you call that tropical). We considered DR, but we were less impressed with the excursions, esp. in the Punta Cana area. I thought maybe Mexico would be nice, but I think we will eventually go there when we have children.

As some background, we were originally hoping to go to Bali for this vacation, but we had to downgrade. (We decided to spend less. Also, I don't have enough vacation time because I have to go to a wedding this summer.) I was SUPER excited about Bali for the beaches, jungle, culture, food, etc. That's why I'm having such a difficult time with this decision.

I'm leaning toward the cruise, but again, a cruise is something we can do easily after having kids.

I'm not an AI fan, but if I wanted to go to one, I probably wouldn't do it in Jamaica.... There are so many fabulous islands - look at Antigua, Turks & Caicos, St Lucia - or maybe see if there is something in Belize or Costa Rica... Mexico has a ton of them - and I would rather go to Mexico than Jamaica.... (been to both).:o

Thanks for the advice, ddonalds. We've honestly looked into every island in the Caribbean, and for AIs, Jamaica and DR are the most economical. (Especially since some places take more than a day to get to when flying from the middle of the U.S.) I really liked St. Lucia, but the flight times are difficult and the resort is 90 minutes + away from the airport.

Thank you for the advice, Liz. I will do that. I guess I was hoping to get some first-hand thoughts from people who have done both recently. I'm sure I would enjoy both. Just having a difficult time making a decision.

I'm guessing at least some of you are island junkies and have done a Jamaica land-based trip as well as a cruise. Can you tell me which you prefer? We've been on 1 cruise and loved it. We thought Jamaica might be fun for something affordable and different. But this is an important anniversary trip, so we want to make sure we'll love it.

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered Cancun?? We have done AI in Jamaica and Cancun/Riviera Maya and enjoyed them both. I agree about checking the info for your resort on trip advisor --some great info there. When our son was younger (almost 16 now) we enjoyed the AI for just the beach and sun and realxing time. Also, many resorts cater to families. We stayed at Iberostar in Riviera Maya. It was 30 minutes from the Cancun airport. They had 4-5 restaurants, great beach, even a wave pool for the kids. At night they had shows that were "faimly friendly" and from the younger and childless crowd we heard the club was great.

We are going on our 2nd cruise in just a short time. I have to admit we enjoy seeing a new port each time we dock. The hotel/ship stays the same just a different view or island to meet. Having never been to any of these ports before we are all very excited.

Friends have been to Punta Can and I have to admit we have heard mixed reviews.

Either way --you are on vacation -- so just enjoy. I really don't think either is a bad choice.

I've done both, multiple times each. Nearly 20 cruises and about the same number of all-inclusives at various islands. I honestly don't have a preference (obviously since I switch back and forth constantly lol).

While I ultimately beleive that all vacations have more in common than they have differences, a land based and cruise base vacation certainly have some talking points you should be aware of.

1) I think land based vacations are more relaxing overall. If I could get the waves to gently rock me to sleep while visiting an all-inclusive, I'd be in heaven. Cruises have more waiting in lines. More rushing to wait. More scheduled activities. All Inclusives tend to be much more irie-mon.

2) I typically pick all-inclusive if my travel mates plan on partaking in adult beverages. In other words, if my objective for that particular vacation is to party, I"m probably going to book all-inclusive because In this aspect, all inclusives are cheaper.

3) I think the food is comparable at each IF you choose wisely (and that is an important IF). The food at the Riu Negril (I've stayed there) will probably not be as good as the food on a cruise. But, if you were to pick a nicer all-inclusive like Sandals Whitehouse for example on Jamaica, I'd say that Whitehouse food beats that of a cruise. Food is obviously subjective, it's just the difference between cooking for the masses at the same time and/or being offered multiple dine-in restaurants that function much more like restaurants around your home town in terms of operational hours have less 'pre-plated' food.

4) If you like a view from your room, be careful with all-inclusives. You could end up with a tropical view of the parking lot. Of course, that could be the equilivent of an inside room on a cruise so I suppose both options have obstacles in terms of choosing a room.

5) You will dress far less formal on an all-inclusive. Up to you whether that is good or not.

6) You will probably spend more time just laying on a beach chair at an all inclusive. Again, personal perspective.

7) My experience is that once I"m at an all-inclusive, I typically spend less since many things are included. Cruises have more 'nickle and diming'.

My last cruise was in 2007. Since then I've stayed at an all-inclusive in Jamaice twice, mexico 3 times, and the Dominican Republic once. I was literally aching to get back on the water, so my next vacation is a cruise. But again, I can not pick one over the other as my absolute favorite. Each offer fabulous vacations, only slightly different.

I say, try each. You may find a preference that has eluded me, or, you may end up like me and not be able to choose between the two!

PS: Choose your all inclusive with as much research as you'd choose a cruise line.

Hope that helps,

Cheryl :)

Cheryl :)

I like cruises and have been on three, but I am absolutely in love with Jamaica. My extended family is from there..so I stay with them and have an advantage..but Negril has some of the best, most beautiful beaches in the world and was recently featured on the Travel Channel. To me, Jamaican hospitality is unsurpassed. I am actually staying at a resort for one week at the end of April in Ocho Rios,then a second week with family.

We are staying at Club Ambiance. My sister stayed at Sandals and loved it, though it is not a "true" Jamaica experience. If you go to an all inclusive, stick with trips and suggestions by the hotel staff. I, fortunately, have the extended family link so I get more than a usual tourist experience.

One thing I love about Jamaica..and I have traveled all over the world..it's the one place you can wake up at 1 am and be within a five minute walk of finding roasted fish and a cold beer :)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Cheryl! Your opinion and experience is really helpful!

I can't decide whether I want to relax or go, go, go!

I don't drink much, so cruises tend to run a little cheaper than most AIs. (Of course, there is gambling on the ship and not always at AIs.) I would LOVE to go to Mexico and see the ruins, but we will be building a family (hopefully) fairly soon and figured Mexico was more accessible for families than Jamaica, which we might not go to with a family. (Plus, we want to go at the end of the month and figured Mexico might have a lot of springbreakers and/or families.)

I appreciate your view of RIU, since you can compare it to a cruise. I'm not sure that resort is a good fit for us. Maybe a different one, but I'm not seeing much that wouldn't be more expensive than the cruise. (Of course, I am looking last-minute, so that doesn't help.)

...figured Mexico was more accessible for families than Jamaica, which we might not go to with a family.

Actually, the AI we went to in Jamaica was geared specifically to families, so I got all the relaxation of a beach vacation while the kids had fun without me, plus we got to spend lots of quality time together.

Hi Lynne79, we have the exact same senerio going on and chose the AI in Jamaica. In april will be our anniversary and we were thinking of a cruise or AI (We have done cruises to Eastern and western Caribbean and Alaska already).

When I started to check prices we decided on AI in Jamaica. I want it to be very special so was looking for a GS on liberty of the seas. For the same price I am getting an exclusive swim up river suite for a week also at sandals royal caribbean in Montego Bay. (we have been to 2 other sandals before in Antigua and st Lucia). WE also picked Sandals as it is a couples only resort (no Kids). There is time and place for kids but not on a romantic anniversary get away. so to sum up our reason for AI.

1. Same price as cruise for an exclusive suite with butler service.

2. Price also includes premium alcahol and tips.

3. Much more romantic environment. (Candle light dinners etc)

Of course this is just our perspective, what ever you choose Happy Anniversary

Thanks for the advice, ddonalds. We've honestly looked into every island in the Caribbean, and for AIs, Jamaica and DR are the most economical. (Especially since some places take more than a day to get to when flying from the middle of the U.S.) I really liked St. Lucia, but the flight times are difficult and the resort is 90 minutes + away from the airport.

We love both and usually do an AI one trip and a cruise the next.

In fact, the last AI we did was in St. Lucia. We loved it. Very beautiful, tons to do, the food was great, resort was beautiful. Not very crowded at all. Usually, had the pool to ourselves for awhile.

Yes, the airport is on the other side of the island from most resorts, but we were there in 10 minutes - we booked a helicopter ride. It was the best thing of the trip. We saw the whole island from a birdseye view.

But, of course, when we were there, my DH says... " I miss a cruise."

Now when we are on our cruise this time he will say... "I miss the resort."

Have you considered Cozumel?? You can rent a Jeep, drive around the island, eat at some local places. It's a lot of fun. I was in Punta Cana 2 yrs in a row. I said if I ever went back I'd go to La Romana, it's on the south eastern end of the island, on the Caribbean side. Absolutely beautiful!! There are a bunch of AI's there. As far as Jamaica, we have friends that will vacation no where else, we, however, will not go there. We were stalked for almost 1 hr by a native trying to get us to buy some illegal substances, 15 yrs ago on our Carnival cruise honeymoon. Finally my husband told him he was an MP in the US Military. He was gone, just like that!! poof

Bad experience, we'll never forget.

Archived