Gratuity question

stargazer

Having never sailed on Princess before I am a bit confused about the way the gratuities are paid, we have always given $$$ to the cabin attendant, waiter etc, I have seen on these boards something about the tips being added to your onboard account, is this correct and what is the cost per day?

I presume there is nothing to say that you cannot give $$$ also to anyone you feel has given you good service.

Any help appreciated

Having never sailed on Princess before I am a bit confused about the way the gratuities are paid, we have always given $$$ to the cabin attendant, waiter etc, I have seen on these boards something about the tips being added to your onboard account, is this correct and what is the cost per day?

I presume there is nothing to say that you cannot give $$$ also to anyone you feel has given you good service.

Any help appreciated

Do a search using the word "Auto tip". You'll get more info than you ever needed or wanted.

Jim

Any help appreciated

Princess will add $10.50 pp per day ($11.00 for mini suites and suites) which will cover all your gratuities while onboard. If you wish to tip additional for exemplary service that is always welcome.

Mike:)

Yes the auto tip is in place on Princess and seems to work well.

Yes you can tip whoever you want up and above the auto tip.

This is correct. One of the reasons for the auto-tip is to make it convenient for those eating in the Anytime dining rooms or the buffet for any meal to tip their waiter. Often, you'll see them only once which means you'd have to carry cash around with you all the time, something few people want to do. If you remove the auto-tip and want to tip individually, you can do so but be aware that the person you tip MUST turn that into the tipping pool and gets back only the percentage they would have if you'd left the auto-tip in place. If you leave the auto-tip in place and want to tip individually on top of that, they get to keep that amount. Remember, there are many waiters in the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner who never work in the dining room and deserve a tip or recognition of service. Many of them do a really good job.

Also they automatically add a tip I believe it is 15% to all drink orders. We usually give extra to the really good waiters that remember what drinks you like and how you like them.

If your are asking, can you tip with $$$over and above the auto-tip amount, you bet you can and you may be sure that the recipitant will be most grateful.:)

Yes... the tips are automatically added to your bill at the end of the cruise. I think it is 11 dollars a day per person... not sure though.

Only if you are in a mini-suite or higher....otherwise its $10.50 per person per day if you are in a balcony or lower category

I have herd that if you give them cash directly that have to turn it in and it goes into the tip pool for the entire ship. We usually ask our room attendant if there is anything special he would want, ie candy, phone card etc that wey he can keep it and does not have to turn it in.

If you keep the auto tip in place...as you should! Then any extra money you give to anyone, they can keep. They only have to pool the money if you do take off the auto tip. They have a list of who does such things. Also, these people live in a room with another person and they are very small. They do not need candy or phone cards, most have cell phones. They can buy things they need in the crew store for a much cheaper price than you or I pay. They do not have room to store presents from nice passengers. They do need money! Many of these workers are sending money home to their loved ones in different countries. Cash is best! Happy sailing to all..LPT;)

I have herd that if you give them cash directly that have to turn it in and it goes into the tip pool for the entire ship. We usually ask our room attendant if there is anything special he would want, ie candy, phone card etc that wey he can keep it and does not have to turn it in.
this information is not really correct, and there is no real need to convert your gratuity into some non-cash option.

When the auto-tip (a.k.a. Hotel Charge) is left in place the person you are tipping will turn in the money in an envelope with your name and cabin number and then get every cent back in about 2 days. The delay is for accounting to ensure the auto-tip was paid, compensating the whole pool of employees fairly.

It is only when the passenger removes the auto-tip that the extra gratuity to an individual must be shared with the pool.

The auto-tip is designed to "share the wealth" between those crew who you see and those behind the scenes whose work supported them in providing you the excellent service.

When the auto-tip (a.k.a. Hotel Charge) is left in place the person you are tipping will turn in the money in an envelope with your name and cabin number and then get every cent back in about 2 days. The delay is for accounting to ensure the auto-tip was paid, compensating the whole pool of employees fairly.

From what I was told, Princess removes a portion of the auto tips for "administration fees". :rolleyes:

Any help appreciated

Most lines have gone with an automatic tipping or service charge policy and yes, it will be added to your on board credit account and yes, you can tip above and beyond it you so choose..We usually do add something to our cabin steward at the end and maybe others who have gone above and beyond.

I will add, the last 2 cruises, one on NCL and one on RPincess we did not give anything extra to our cabin steward, both times the service was bordering on sub par.

Nita

From what I was told, Princess removes a portion of the auto tips for "administration fees". :rolleyes:

I have heard the same, both with Princess and NCL but I am not sure this is true..I don't think any of us will ever have the answer to that one.

NIta

Archived