Children on Oceania

jerseygirl3

I would like some opinions regarding children on Oceania. Before anyone flames, the kids are booked, so it's not a matter of whether or not we should bring them. The decision has been made, so I'm really just looking for some opinions.

Here is the scenario. My DH and I booked the Regatta TA for March 2010. Knowing it is my sister and BIL's 25th wedding anniversary next March, I mentioned the cruise to them, thinking they may be interested. They were and went ahead and booked. However, after giving it more thought, they weren't sure they would feel comfortable leaving their children (twins, a boy and a girl, who will be a week or so shy of being 10 years old by time of sailing) for two weeks, especially given the fact that the ship arrives in Barcelona on Easter Sunday, which would mean they wouldn't be with their children for Easter. Relatives babysitting isn't an option. My parents are too elderly and other family members live in other states. We called our travel agent, who said there were no more quad cabins available, so they've booked a balcony and an inside (one adult with each child, although most likely the kids will sleep with them each night...they definitely won't leave the kids alone in a cabin).

So here are a few questions. These children are extremely well behaved (I know, everybody says that, but of all my nieces and nephews, these two are the only ones we enjoy cruising with). They are twins, so they tend to keep each other entertained. They are seasoned travelers (although never to Europe). They've been on many cruises, and don't partake in the children's club or require bells and whistles (such as video gaves, water slides, etc.). They are pretty mature for their age and can sit through a lengthy dinner without incident (they bring a book to dinner and while the adults linger over coffee, they read). In fact, they are voracious readers. On past Caribbean cruises, they spend more time reading than they do swimming (and I'm quite sure swimming won't be an option on a TA). Lest I make them sound like complete nerds, they are, after all, still kids. But my sister and BIL have done a fabulous job so far with teaching them manners, etc.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, will my sister and BIL encounter angry stares from fellow passengers when they see the children? I just don't want them to be made to feel uncomfortable. It is my sister and BIL's 25th wedding anniversary, and they waited a long time for these beautiful twins, and they would like to have them with them for this milestone anniversary. Don't get me wrong...they love to travel without the kids too and do so frequently, but leaving them for two weeks and expecting someone to watch them for that long is unreasonable.

Also, will the children be allowed to eat in the specialty restaurants?

If anybody has any comments, I'd love to hear them. As I said, I don't see these kids intruding on anybody's "grown up space". In fact, my sister is well aware of the fact that we may socialize with others where it wouldn't be appropriate for the children to be present, and she has no problem with that (such as a cocktail party, etc.). Our travel agent has said there are always a few children on board, so we shouldn't worry. He travels Oceania quite often, so I'm trusting his judgement. Otherwise, the cruise would be a "no go" for my sister and BIL if they couldn't bring the children. But nor do they want to feel like the children would be looked upon negatively.

Comments?

Jo-Ann

We've sailed with Oceania three times, and have seen perhaps a total of a half-dozen kids (max) on those trips.

The ships are not "set up" for children, but I should think that normal, well behaved children will find enough to do to entertain themselves.

Perhaps some passengers might look askance at the kids, but that happens no matter where you go, small ship or megaship.

I see no reason they shouldn't eat in the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy the trip.

We have done 5 O cruises

I have only seen maximum of 2 -3 children on any of the cruises we have been on with the exception of the entertainment family (Black Tie) that had at least 4 of various ages.

Not sure if a TA would be good for the children... your family knows their children better than we would.

I do not know if they have an age requirement for the Specialty restaurant.

We did see a young lady (about 12 or 13) with her parents in Polo...she play her video game while the parents lingered over dinner.

We very seldom saw her during the cruise.

I do not think anyone would have a problem with them as long as they are not running the halls, pushing all the elevator buttons & running around the dining room :D

Lyn

We've been on two O cruises, a Western Med and a Panama Canal Crossing. On the Western Med, the only children on board were the Captain's. (His wife was onboard, too.) There were no children on board the Panama Canal Crossing.

No one glared at the children. Most passengers gave them pleasant smiles. The crew made over them.

I doubt the children will be turned away from any dining venue as long as they are dressed appropriately. They should bring plenty to keep themselves occupied as there are very few entertainment options that would be suitable for them.

Passengers on Oceania are quite gracious.

We have done 5 O cruises

I have only seen maximum of 2 -3 children on any of the cruises we have been on with the exception of the entertainment family (Black Tie) that had at least 4 of various ages.

Not sure if a TA would be good for the children... your family knows their children better than we would.

I do not know if they have an age requirement for the Specialty restaurant.

We did see a young lady (about 12 or 13) with her parents in Polo...she play her video game while the parents lingered over dinner.

We very seldom saw her during the cruise.

I do not think anyone would have a problem with them as long as they are not running the halls, pushing all the elevator buttons & running around the dining room :D

Lyn

Thanks for the comments.

Not to worry...they are definitely not the types of kids who would ever be running halls or playing with elevator buttons. Actually, the boy is quite the "rule enforcer". And they actually love to dress up...my sister was a bit disappointed to hear there are no formal nights, so they will definitely be dressed appropriately. They are also quite engaging conversationalists...

My big fear was that people would take one look, see young children, and glare at the parents. I should have known "O" cruisers would be more tolerant.

Short story...last year we cruised aboard HAL with same sister, BIL, and twins. We had open dining and as we were finishing dinner, an older couple stopped by our table and complimented me on how well behaved my children were. I told him they weren't mine, and he said, "oh, now, don't be shy... when they started to seat us at the table next to yours, I told the maitre'd I would rather be seated away from children. The maitre'd told me these two children would be no bother to us. He certainly was right and it was a pleasure to see such well behaved children."

I'm still not sure why he thought the children belonged to DH and me, but that's neither here nor there. However, his statement did reinforce to us that we don't mind cruising with them.

Now some of my other nieces and nephews are a whole other story....

Jo-Ann

Of all the possible cruises to take two ten year olds on a TA is probably the worst. At least with ports every day they can be amused on shore. Here there are endless sea days where even adults have to know how to amuse themselves. I don't think it's a matter of what other people will say, it's a matter of the kids' asking their parents why they brought them.

JerseyGirl-

I think that we had an experience which is pretty close to what yours will be.

In 'O7 we did the Baltic on O with a large group of college friends (9 adults, 6 kids).

Our biggest conundrum was on those nights when the entire group wanted to eat together in the Grand Dining Room. What the maître d' suggested, and we must say that it worked out well, was to put the children at a seperate table for 6, which was right next to ours......close enough for the parents to supervise, yet giving them the feeling of "doing their own thing".

The kids did eat in the specialty restaurants, with their parents, of course. They also rather over utiltized the pool grill and ice cream stand, and loved room service.

We would suggest (despite weight restrictions on luggage) that you bring a number of games (Catch Phrase comes to mind), as the ones that the ship stocks are not geared to youngsters.

Also, there are no books in the library for children, so bring those too.

We have done an extended world cruise segment on HAL and there were two children Younger than teens) on board for the world cruise duration. Yes, there were many sea days but and hardly anything available to entertain the kids since this cruise was aimed at the more mature traveller. The children were home schooled mornings of sea days and took tours when in port. The parents had them write reports of what they experienced, and I bet we would all have loved to read what they wrote through the bright wide-eyes of these children. They were a wonderful mix to the average age of this cruise.

On another extended HAL cruise, we met a family with young children who were travelling together for their last time together. The Dad had a terminal disease. They were a delight. On horse-racing day, we had purchased our horse and asked the young lad to be our jockey. With his parents permission, he raced for us and won all the races (luck by the roll of the dice).

On a more recent cruise, we cruised on Oceania from Rome to London through the Baltic. There was a family with two well-travelled and cruised children. Again, they were always well-behaved and dressed appropriately.

The only time that we have found a problem with younger people was on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and it happened, unbeknown to us, an American spring school break. There were many teenagers on board and their behaviour, and dress code did not adhere to the program published guidlines. This was our mistake in booking a cruise at this time.

We have always enjoyed the children on board but then we don't cruise on Carnival, etc., ones that are geared for high-energy children programs. By the way, we are not that young. My husband is in his very early 80's and loves to hear what the young people have to say and their perspectives on what they see and do. It keeps him, and me, young. Most of them are a delight and we would love to be on your booked cruise so that we could meet them.

We have done an extended world cruise segment on HAL and there were two children Younger than teens) on board for the world cruise duration. Yes, there were many sea days but and hardly anything available to entertain the kids since this cruise was aimed at the more mature traveller. The children were home schooled mornings of sea days and took tours when in port. The parents had them write reports of what they experienced, and I bet we would all have loved to read what they wrote through the bright wide-eyes of these children. They were a wonderful mix to the average age of this cruise.

On another extended HAL cruise, we met a family with young children who were travelling together for their last time together. The Dad had a terminal disease. They were a delight. On horse-racing day, we had purchased our horse and asked the young lad to be our jockey. With his parents permission, he raced for us and won all the races (luck by the roll of the dice).

On a more recent cruise, we cruised on Oceania from Rome to London through the Baltic. There was a family with two well-travelled and cruised children. Again, they were always well-behaved and dressed appropriately.

The only time that we have found a problem with younger people was on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and it happened, unbeknown to us, an American spring school break. There were many teenagers on board and their behaviour, and dress code did not adhere to the program published guidlines. This was our mistake in booking a cruise at this time.

We have always enjoyed the children on board but then we don't cruise on Carnival, etc., ones that are geared for high-energy children programs. By the way, we are not that young. My husband is in his very early 80's and loves to hear what the young people have to say and their perspectives on what they see and do. It keeps him, and me, young. Most of them are a delight and we would love to be on your booked cruise so that we could meet them.

What a delightful post! It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your sentiments.

Jo-Ann

Of all the possible cruises to take two ten year olds on a TA is probably the worst. At least with ports every day they can be amused on shore. Here there are endless sea days where even adults have to know how to amuse themselves. I don't think it's a matter of what other people will say, it's a matter of the kids' asking their parents why they brought them.

It just happens that we've been dying to do a TA, the price is right, the timing works for all of us, and the kids love to cruise. We do realize it will take effort on the part of the parents to help keep the children entertained on long sea days, but we're willing to give it a try. The children intend to keep a journal. Not much to write about during the sea days, but perhaps they can write about the interesting people they meet onboard!

Jo-Ann

As a couple who have signed up for that cruise, I promise not to give any "looks". As a matter of fact, we will be missing our about the same age grandchildren, and would love to meet your niece and nephew for a "kid-fix"! They sound wonderful.

Fran (and Jeff)

Last week we were in Hawaii visiting our grandchildren (and we admit we are missing them this week) and were having lunch in a restaurant in Aloha Tower, right next to the port where a cruise ship was docked. Many of the folks eating in the restaurant were from the ship.

We had our 3 year old grandson with us, who amazingly enough was quite well behaved that day, and a couple at the table next to us stopped by our table on their way out just to visit and play with Joseph. Seems they had a grandchild just about his age, had been away from home on a round the world cruise for about 2 months and were missing their little one terribly. They confided they could not wait to get home and thanked us for allowing them to visit with Joe.

We did see 2 young girls, maybe ages 10 and 12, traveling with their parents when we were on the Regatta and they were well behaved and we thoroughly enjoyed talking with them. Nothing educates like travel.

How fortunate are the children who get to travel extensively with their parents.

Betsy and I are on tht same cruise, and we will be plesed to see the children with us. We just finished a holidy cruise with Ocenia where there were more than a dozen children on board, of all ges. The only time we noticed them was at dinner, when they were all extremely well behaved. I think the demeanor of the ship actually affects them, too. Yes, they are welcomed at the specialty restaurants, as well.

Remember, Frank Del Rio has children and sails with them...there are no special activities on board for the children, but there are no special rules, either.

Jerseygirl3,

On each of our cruises, they have had a Coffee and Needlework session about 9:30am on the sea days. A group of women gather in Horizons with one of the cruise staff. The cruise member has small needlepoints kits which are passed out and, during the cruise, the women complete the kits. (The sessions have been run by male cruise members and female cruise members. We had one man join the group, too, but most of the members are women.)

Many of the participants bring their knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, etc. It is a very pleasant way to start the day since everyone talks about the various activities onboard, cruises, ports, children, grandchildren, etc. The "official" session lasts about an hour, but it has extended longer than that when everyone gets involved in a good conversation.

I don't know how it is shown in Currents now. One poster called it a Stitch and Bitch session, so that may be the new name.

I don't know if your niece and nephew would enjoy it, but I know the women would enjoy seeing them. The children would learn a new skill and make something, too.

Enjoy your cruise!

Connie

Jerseygirl - I don't think you will get angry stares or problems from the other passengers, as long as he kids behave. What you need to worry more about, is the kids' enjoyment, because if the kids are happy, the cruise will be fun, and if the kids are bored, you can be made miserable. Oceania has a pool, but other than that, nothing to offer children. We have cruised with about a dozen different cruise lines over the years, and with the exception of Crystal, which offers almost nothing for them as well, the other lines have programs for the kids. We were on one of the Royal Caribbean ships a couple of weeks ago, where there were a couple of hundred kids and the ones in the kids programs seemed to be having a ball. Funny, with all the children aboard, we hardly noticed them, as they were kept so busy that they didn't have time or energy to interfere with the adult's enjoyment as well.

family members live in other states. We called our travel agent, who said there were no more quad cabins available, so they've booked a balcony and an inside (one adult with each child, although most likely the kids will sleep with them each night...they definitely won't leave the kids alone in a cabin).

Jo-Ann

They could waitlist for a quad ...sometimes people cancel especially since the cruise is a year off

Or another option would be connecting cabins that way you can at least leave the door open & have the children sleep in one cabin & your sister in the other

Lyn

They could waitlist for a quad ...sometimes people cancel especially since the cruise is a year off

Or another option would be connecting cabins that way you can at least leave the door open & have the children sleep in one cabin & your sister in the other

Lyn

Our TA has them waitlisted, but possibly for a Cat. E cabin. Right now the Cat. G guarantee is, apparently, two decks below their balcony cabin. They hated to give up their midship balcony cabin, since they will most likely just keep clothes in the inside cabin, and perhaps use it to shower, dress, etc. They won't leave the kids alone, of course.

I didn't realize any cabins were connecting. Maybe that's another option. Thanks!

JO-An

Our TA has them waitlisted, but possibly for a Cat. E cabin. Right now the Cat. G guarantee is, apparently, two decks below their balcony cabin. They hated to give up their midship balcony cabin, since they will most likely just keep clothes in the inside cabin, and perhaps use it to shower, dress, etc. They won't leave the kids alone, of course.

I didn't realize any cabins were connecting. Maybe that's another option. Thanks!

JO-An

Sorry confused:confused:

Where will the children sleep ? Two decks away from parents? or will they share 1 parent 1 child in each cabin?

Looks like 6027/6029 connect also 6024/6026

Lyn

Sorry confused:confused:

Where will the children sleep ? Two decks away from parents? or will they share 1 parent 1 child in each cabin?

Looks like 6027/6029 connect also 6024/6026

Lyn

For booking purposes, one adult had to be listed with each child. No, the kids won't sleep two decks away!LOL They'll only be a week shy of turning 10 years old. Most likely the kids will sleep in the same cabin with the parents (DH and I also offered to let one kid at a time stay with us a couple of times during the cruise), and they'll just use the other cabin for dressing, showering, etc. There were no quad cabins available, and besides, the amenities for booking a second cabin were wonderful. Adding the kids as 3rd and 4th pax (although, as I said, quads weren't available, so it was a moot point) didn't receive the OBC and prepaid gratuities. So it makes more sense to book a second cabin.

For booking purposes, one adult had to be listed with each child. No, the kids won't sleep two decks away!LOL They'll only be a week shy of turning 10 years old. Most likely the kids will sleep in the same cabin with the parents

Hope they have a sleeper sofa in the balcony cabin (not all are)

4 in a queen bed, that will be cozy:D

Lyn

Archived