What are the perks of being a mariner?

SpankysMom

Well, we can't call ourselves "oldtimers" but this is our 2nd cruise with HAL and I understand there is a Mariner Club or something like that when you sail with them a lot. Just what does that amount to? Does HAL have perks for people that sail with them a number of times? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

SM

From the HAL website, Mariner Society section:

Mariner Society benefits on cruises of 7 or more days include:

• Preferred pricing on many cruises.
  • Champagne reception and awards party: hosted by the Captain and available only to Mariner Society members.
  • Lapel pins and medallions to acknowledge your Holland America Line cruise history.
  • A special Collectable gift in your stateroom.
  • Complimentary subscription to Mariner, a full-color magazine featuring news and Mariner Society savings.

The website will define the various categories of pin and medallion awards, based on the # of days/cruises with HAL.

Not as good as perks on Princess, RCI, or nearly every other line. But they do give you a silly tin badge which you can wear if you want to impress your friends and watch others laugh behind your back.

What kind of discounts on fares do you get?
$50 or $100 pp on some itineraries. Rarely in the Caribbean where the competition is stiff. Try pricing out a hypothetical cruise with and without your Mariner number.

Just want to agree with the above and say I wouldn't sail HAL or any other line for their perks. We sail HAL because it is in our view a superior product.

Having said that their loyalty program is anemic, but it is never a consideration when we choose to cruise.

HAL is a great line.

IMO having a good CC Roll Call has sometimes provided more perks than being a Mariner! Invites, ship tours etc. Received our Docs today for our May 8 Maasdam cruise and there were no buttons.

The last blue doc folder seeing after May 9, Hal will send electronically.

IMO having a good CC Roll Call has sometimes provided more perks than being a Mariner! Invites, ship tours etc. Received our Docs today for our May 8 Maasdam cruise and there were no buttons.

The last blue doc folder seeing after May 9, Hal will send electronically.

On both of our recent Noordam cruises, there were quite a few people at the Meet & Greets -- and the majority of them were not invited to anything special -- and a few of them were in Delux suites. So that is not a guarantee.

The majority of the ships now have a Mariner Brunch -- depends on the itinerary.

The gift in your room -- or it may be on the table at the brunch -- or it may be handed to you as you leave the dining room -- are tiles.

This past cruise we received two small photo frames. We found them on our bed after returning from a show one evening (toward the end of our cruise). We also received the tiles at the Mariner's Brunch. I am terribly sentimental and I love things like these items. All I have to do is catch a glimpse of these items and I am transported back to my cruise...and the wonderful times we had on those cruises. :)

This past cruise we received two small photo frames. We found them on our bed after returning from a show one evening (toward the end of our cruise). We also received the tiles at the Mariner's Brunch. I am terribly sentimental and I love things like these items. All I have to do is catch a glimpse of these items and I am transported back to my cruise...and the wonderful times we had on those cruises. :)

When we were on the Eurodam we also got those frames. We kept the ones from our first cruise. But on the second cruise there was gentleman at our table wanting as many of them as he could get -- asking everyone if they were going to keep their picture frames -- everyone at the table except us had never received one -- so we gladly gave him ours.

Then on our recent Noordam cruises, the first cruise I was in the infirmery when the Mariner's Brunch took place -- in the afternoon our tiles were sent to us along with the picture frames with a note.

You get to say you're a HAL Mariner!

Kind of gives you the warm and fuzzies, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Ruth, you are becoming entirely tooooo funny! You and Pipedreams should become the "new and improved" entertainment onboard HAL ships!

(And I don't even care what time your shows are... I'll miss dinner to see you both!)

When we were on the Eurodam we also got those frames. We kept the ones from our first cruise. But on the second cruise there was gentleman at our table wanting as many of them as he could get -- asking everyone if they were going to keep their picture frames -- everyone at the table except us had never received one -- so we gladly gave him ours.

Then on our recent Noordam cruises, the first cruise I was in the infirmery when the Mariner's Brunch took place -- in the afternoon our tiles were sent to us along with the picture frames with a note.

Thanks for this information. :)

Ruth, you are becoming entirely tooooo funny! You and Pipedreams should become the "new and improved" entertainment onboard HAL ships!

(And I don't even care what time your shows are... I'll miss dinner to see you both!)

Please, no applause---just throw money. :D

Just want to agree with the above and say I wouldn't sail HAL or any other line for their perks. We sail HAL because it is in our view a superior product.

Having said that their loyalty program is anemic, but it is never a consideration when we choose to cruise.

HAL is a great line.

Same here. We sail HAL because we love the line...not because of the "perks" or lack thereof.

When we were on the Eurodam . . . there was gentleman at our table wanting as many of them as he could get -- asking everyone if they were going to keep their picture frames -- everyone at the table except us had never received one -- so we gladly gave him ours.

Probably to sell them on ebay.

Archived