Cruise to Nowhere

TITISSA

Unfortunately the Pride 3 day "Gilligan's Island Tour" ended in 2005. And yes, the cruise to nowhere was alot of fun!

I was aboard for the 3 dayer, three years in a row.....one year there was a couple aboard who were very upset ~~they marched up to the Bridge and complained to Captain T.T. Soerensen that there would be NO excursions ~~in a most diplomatic way he explained to them that "no, this was a cruise to nowhere...." the couple demanded to disembark! Captain T.T. pulled up to the Statue of Liberty, and with their luggage they disembarked the Pride!:confused:

Happy Sailing ~~

Martita B.

Unfortunately the Pride 3 day "Gilligan's Island Tour" ended in 2005. And yes, the cruise to nowhere was alot of fun!

I was aboard for the 3 dayer, three years in a row.....one year there was a couple aboard who were very upset ~~they marched up to the Bridge and complained to Captain T.T. Soerensen that there would be NO excursions ~~in a most diplomatic way he explained to them that "no, this was a cruise to nowhere...." the couple demanded to disembark! Captain T.T. pulled up to the Statue of Liberty, and with their luggage they disembarked the Pride!:confused:

Happy Sailing ~~

Martita B.

Captain Soerensen should of left them off at ELLIS ISLAND...surely the couple were ALIENS!!!!!

These three day cruises would be an effective way to introduce Seabourn's new ships, perhaps giving first shot at booking to Seabourn regulars. They might make it easier to understand the sky-high prices Seabourn is asking for the privilege of cruising on those ships.

These three day cruises would be an effective way to introduce Seabourn's new ships, perhaps giving first shot at booking to Seabourn regulars. They might make it easier to understand the sky-high prices Seabourn is asking for the privilege of cruising on those ships.

I couldn't agree more:). Bring back the 3 nighters...

The Pride New York-New York 3 day cruise was alot of fun! For two years some of us started at Tower Bridge, Crossed the Atlantic and continued on for the "Gilligan's Island Three Day Cruise" ~~a'round Long Island and up the Hudson and back was absolutely delightful! Each year the three day cruise was a sell out ~~I never saw "riff raff" ~~but then I wasn't looking for any!:confused: I thought the mix of Guests were seasoned, fun passengers.

MB

The Pride New York-New York 3 day cruise was alot of fun! For two years some of us started at Tower Bridge, Crossed the Atlantic and continued on for the "Gilligan's Island Three Day Cruise" ~~a'round Long Island and up the Hudson and back was absolutely delightful! Each year the three day cruise was a sell out ~~I never saw "riff raff" ~~but then I wasn't looking for any!:confused: I thought the mix of Guests were seasoned, fun passengers.

MB

Ah, but yes my dear, the last of Seabourn's 3 day cruises ended a few years ago. I was referring to what would happen 'today'. Seabourn is one of the last lines where style and service have not deteriorated (yet) and one hopes and prays that will never happen.

It is all nice and wonderful to support 'Seabourn', however, the future of many things in life today are uncertain. It would be very sad to see such a fine product such as Seabourn (which is protective to many, including yourself) go downhill. Sadly already, this is the way of most cruise lines.

curlyQ

With sadness I have to agree with you as to cruise lines "slipping" these days ~~yes, even Seabourn. So many small "things" that I took for granted 10 years ago have slowly disappeared ~~

Yes, it's a new day dawning and we'll simply look forward to more good days of "wine and roses" aboard the Seabourn ships and other cruise lines.

MB

Yes Martita, also as Seaburn start introducing the larger ships it may attract a more 'diverse' passenger mix. Once the fares drop on certain sailings and word gets out about the all inclusive alchohol, you may as well lower the gangway for the binge drinkers etc.

Let's hope that never happens.

Bon voyage from me also, you lucky Lone Star State sailor you!

Patricia.

Alcohol has been inclusive for many years so the word has already been out. So far I have never seen a binge drinker on SB. It's much more likely to see one on a mass market ship which attract "party-ers," not the well traveled people one finds on SB. And the prices will never be lowered to the point that they will attract these people.

Alcohol has been inclusive for many years so the word has already been out. So far I have never seen a binge drinker on SB. It's much more likely to see one on a mass market ship which attract "party-ers," not the well traveled people one finds on SB. And the prices will never be lowered to the point that they will attract these people.

Yes, Seabourn has had all inclusive drinks for as long as I can remember. My point stated was referring to:

Inclusive alcohol + steeply reduced prices = binge drinking.

I have made this clear in my previous posts above that I am in no way referring to the current Seabourn travelers. I am referring to what may happen when the 'party folk' who generaly sail on large mass market ships discover a Seabourn pricing deal that is just too good to resist.

I'm not sure what the cut off price is that some consider riff-raff will be on Seabourn. I have never seen riff-raff and I have been on Caribbean sailings that cost $2299. Even looking at some of the lowest price 1 week Med cruises they still are over $400. per person per day. Do people actually think that price attracts riff raff?

I'm not sure what the cut off price is that some consider riff-raff will be on Seabourn. I have never seen riff-raff and I have been on Caribbean sailings that cost $2299. Even looking at some of the lowest price 1 week Med cruises they still are over $400. per person per day. Do people actually think that price attracts riff raff?

Good Point Cruisr! There are many things to worry about, but that's not one of them!:D

Let me see now, does lowering of cruise fares result in riff-raff? Indeed in some cases yes, it does!

Take for example P&O's new ship 'Ventura' that sailed a holiday voyage from the U.K. to the Caribbean recently. The fares were lowered toward the sailing date to fill empty berths which is reported to have a "change of ambiance on board with the cruise line attracting a type of 'cut price' passenger" (or as we refer to it here in these posts as 'riff-raff').

Some of the bad behavior supposedly reported:

- youths started food fights

- one large family throwing cigarette butts overboard and watching them land on the balconies below

- an attempt to start a fire under the Christmas tree

- Captain booed as he did the New Years Eve countdown

- 2 youths permanently put ashore with their guardian on one of the islands and left to pay their own way home

- adults at the pool, not wanting to leave their sun beds, trying to send their kids to buy alchohol

...and this was all on one cruise.

You cannot compare P&O to Seabourn. The former is a mass market ship which probably attracts the same kind of clientele no matter the fare. Yes, it might attract a rowdier group for a lower fare but I maintain these people have never heard of Seabourn and have no interest in traveling on a 200 passenger ship. They want big spaces with lots of entertainment during which they can drink too much and act out. And again, Seabourn will never lower its rates to the point that it will attract these kinds of passengers.

You cannot compare P&O to Seabourn. The former is a mass market ship which probably attracts the same kind of clientele no matter the fare. Yes, it might attract a rowdier group for a lower fare but I maintain these people have never heard of Seabourn and have no interest in traveling on a 200 passenger ship. They want big spaces with lots of entertainment during which they can drink too much and act out. And again, Seabourn will never lower its rates to the point that it will attract these kinds of passengers.

I was not refering to Seabourn, heaven forbid. Besides that, Seabourn would never let this type of madness exist for more than a minute (I hope). The general swing of this post at the moment is 'if cruise lines have super low fare sales, does it attract a different type of passenger?' and the answer is "yes". If you refer to the post above from 'Cruiser', the question was: "Do people really think that price attracts riff-raff?". My answer is "yes", in some cases it does. We are simply fortunate enough not to have seen it.

God forbid - if Seabourn lowered their prices even more, they might entice more working stiff "riff-raff" travelers like myself to cruise every year with SB instead of every other. We college administrators are a notoriously wild and morally-suspect bunch. Sometimes I wish this board would read their posts through a different set of eyes.

And BTW - check out the mass-market message boards on Christmas cruises. It's definitely not just THAT P & O cruise. THose boards scared me out of taking a Christmas cruise on other lines YEARS ago.

That said - I'm SURE that a SB Christmas cruise would be equivalent of a visit to an English country house for the holidays.

A cruise to nowhere, leaving from the Big Apple, would be right up my ally. I'm sorry we missed them.

Archived