auto tipping - not removable ?

sheilauk

Maybe we have a different view on tipping in the UK to that in the US. We feel tipping is an acknowledgement of worthy service - not a means to supplement an employer's obligation to pay a decent salary. Whatever job somebody does, whether it be a doctor, policeman, teacher or waiter you would hope that person fulfills his/her duties to the best of his/her ability. In the case of the waiter, an acknowledgement of good service is tipping and, I would suggest, the better the service, the better the tip. It's a way of saying thank you. So, how can you make that acknowledgement before you've even received the service - as you are required to do with autotipping? That's not being mean or a skinflint. What do you do if the service you've received throughout the cruise is terrible? Still leave a "thank you" tip? So, let's dispense with the acrimony and cheap jibes. Personally, I feel good service should be rewarded with a substancial tip and I really have absolute disdain for somebody who avoids tipping by "doing a runner" on the last day. Yes, I've seen it and it stinks.

My message was posted in reply to SheilaUK's original enquiry in the hope it would be helpful and that, after all, is what we are about. Celebrity brought in the ruling about autotipping without any prior notification and was just plain obstructive in even considering allowing us to opt out and "do it the UK way". Celebrity may be a US line but surely must be respectful to all their customers' choices. My message to the original question was "stick by your guns if you feel you want to". It's your choice and you should be allowed to make it as you see fit. Tipping should be optional, not mandatory and stay as an acknowledgement of good service. Most of us (with the exception of those who "do a runner") are responsible enough to respect that.

So, given that many of us - certainly in the UK - want to retain that choice, can we now concentrate on being helpful and stick to the original thread please?

I am Scottish, but have lived in North America (Canada) for the past 30 years and yes, there is a completely different attitude over here regarding tipping, than there is in Britain. I can understand both points of view, but I think overall I will probably agree to the autotipping. When you think of the amount of money that you are spending on your cruise, this amount of money is miniscule in comparison and yet means so much to these workers. That's what it boils down to with me. It is also easier.

Maybe we have a different view on tipping in the UK to that in the US. We feel tipping is an acknowledgement of worthy service - not a means to supplement an employer's obligation to pay a decent salary. Whatever job somebody does, whether it be a doctor, policeman, teacher or waiter you would hope that person fulfills his/her duties to the best of his/her ability. In the case of the waiter, an acknowledgement of good service is tipping and, I would suggest, the better the service, the better the tip. It's a way of saying thank you. So, how can you make that acknowledgement before you've even received the service - as you are required to do with autotipping? That's not being mean or a skinflint. What do you do if the service you've received throughout the cruise is terrible? Still leave a "thank you" tip? So, let's dispense with the acrimony and cheap jibes. Personally, I feel good service should be rewarded with a substancial tip and I really have absolute disdain for somebody who avoids tipping by "doing a runner" on the last day. Yes, I've seen it and it stinks.

My message was posted in reply to SheilaUK's original enquiry in the hope it would be helpful and that, after all, is what we are about. Celebrity brought in the ruling about autotipping without any prior notification and was just plain obstructive in even considering allowing us to opt out and "do it the UK way". Celebrity may be a US line but surely must be respectful to all their customers' choices. My message to the original question was "stick by your guns if you feel you want to". It's your choice and you should be allowed to make it as you see fit. Tipping should be optional, not mandatory and stay as an acknowledgement of good service. Most of us (with the exception of those who "do a runner") are responsible enough to respect that.

So, given that many of us - certainly in the UK - want to retain that choice, can we now concentrate on being helpful and stick to the original thread please?

What should we do with individuals that remove all tips and then pay nothing?

I seem to remember that in the UK -- groups eating at restaurants a 15% service charge was added to the bill automatically. I know this is common across other parts of Europe.

http://cruises.about.com/od/tipsforfirsttimecruises/a/cruise_tipping_2.htm

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hansi did you actually READ the fine print in your broschure before you booked your cruise?? As it is it has always been in there that you are required to "tip" as certain amount. When you book your cruise you are accepting this practise lock stock and barrel!

I will agree with you that the expression "tip" is an unfortunate one and should be replaced with the words "service charge" however it is a relic out of the old days of passenger ship travel which has simply stayed.

However this latest development is a direct result of many passengers coming onboard fully planning on not paying a single cent. Crews earning their "wages" in such a way is nothing new and most certainly not the cruise lines cutting back. Crews in the service departments have been paid like this since the early beginings of passenger ship travel.

In simple terms if you don't want to pay the tips for any reasons stay home or look for an alternative holiday/vacation option.

I did read the fine print as you say, and it said there that" envelopes will be left in cabins for tipping purposes" What I am in disagreement with is that Celebrity "moved the goalposts" so to speak, after I had booked and introduced "auto-tipping" and didn't even bother to let me know. I have no problem with tipping, it's just that I don't want anyone dictating to me how much and to whom.

Thank you!

QUOTE=chrisandlynne;18695671]Maybe we have a different view on tipping in the UK to that in the US. We feel tipping is an acknowledgement of worthy service - not a means to supplement an employer's obligation to pay a decent salary. Whatever job somebody does, whether it be a doctor, policeman, teacher or waiter you would hope that person fulfills his/her duties to the best of his/her ability. In the case of the waiter, an acknowledgement of good service is tipping and, I would suggest, the better the service, the better the tip. It's a way of saying thank you. So, how can you make that acknowledgement before you've even received the service - as you are required to do with autotipping? That's not being mean or a skinflint. What do you do if the service you've received throughout the cruise is terrible? Still leave a "thank you" tip? So, let's dispense with the acrimony and cheap jibes. Personally, I feel good service should be rewarded with a substancial tip and I really have absolute disdain for somebody who avoids tipping by "doing a runner" on the last day. Yes, I've seen it and it stinks.

I had hoped that this thread would ellicit some actual facts. I only meant to query what the UK travel agent had said, namely that the auto tip cannot be removed, period.

It seemed to contradict some of the posts on here and I wanted to know the truth, from people who had experienced autotipping.

Sorry it has caused further debate.

What I really don't like is the refusal by Celebrity to answer any e mails on the subject. :confused:

I had hoped that this thread would ellicit some actual facts. I only meant to query what the UK travel agent had said, namely that the auto tip cannot be removed, period.

It seemed to contradict some of the posts on here and I wanted to know the truth, from people who had experienced autotipping.

Sorry it has caused further debate.

What I really don't like is the refusal by Celebrity to answer any e mails on the subject. :confused:

Do you think your travel agent has got mistaken for "pre-paid" gratuities which are added on to your invoice, and as I believe can`t be removed.:eek:

"Auto tipping" can be removed/adjusted by seeing guest relations when on board the cruise. A daily amount is deducted from your seapass account. Whilst on Century in Jan 09 all crew members in all depts I spoke to were more than happy with the new arrangement and we had outstanding service on that sailing.:)

Rich.......

For those of you from other "cultures" who opine a different view of tipping or service charge as practiced in the good old U.S.A., I respectfully refer you to one of the world's most significant aphorisms-"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Well yes. I guess you mean that Celebrity is an American cruise line? But, it's meant to cater for an international blend of customers? So, give us all the choice. And X, don't try and take your ball home when somebody would like some flexibility like we experienced on board and Sheilauk is experiencing now.

Sheilauk - I'm fearful that X will not respond to your e-mails and be persistent when on board with Guest Relations if you wish to retain your choice. I note others have succeeded easier than we did. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

On our recent Solstice Cruise I had to go to guest relations and request that it be removed. They keep a book with everyones name in it, you sign next to your name and they promise you that it will be removed from your account. Then you look at your account on the TV, and go back to guest relations a few more times, and eventually it is removed - or at least that is my experiance!

For those of you from other "cultures" who opine a different view of tipping or service charge as practiced in the good old U.S.A., I respectfully refer you to one of the world's most significant aphorisms-"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

On that basis then - when sailing in the Med..............

If you want to be fair, tipping should be based on the cost of your cruise. People who pay more for their cabin get better service like premium tables in the dining room, better quality linens etc. But the auto tipping policy has everyone paying the same tips no matter what type of cabin you have.

I am not new to this board. I have read the threads for years. I just have never joined and posted.:)

I have not read all of the posts on this thread but I wanted to add something to the mix in case it is not already in here. I have a Celebrity Cruise booked for March of 2010 and I currently am booked with first seating, But just recently heard they will be offering and anytime dining sort of option. and I called to see if I can book that instead. I was told certainly but in that case the have you pre pay the tips and they are not removable.

Now This is fine with me I am in favor of mandatory service charges because I have seen too many people on here opposed to tipping and that simply choose to ignore that this cruise line pay structure differs from almost any other industry and insist on doing things THIER way.

In any case with anytime dining coming into play so does the mandatory service charge.

If you want to be fair, tipping should be based on the cost of your cruise. People who pay more for their cabin get better service like premium tables in the dining room, better quality linens etc. But the auto tipping policy has everyone paying the same tips no matter what type of cabin you have.

I am not new to this board. I have read the threads for years. I just have never joined and posted.:)

Welcome to posting on the boards.

I hate to pick on a new poster ;) , BUT......

The higher price of Suites and CC cabins are due to the extras that come with the cabins. The value associated with better linens, preferential dining room seating, etc., is part of the cabin pricing. The service personnel working in that cabin don't have choice in cabin ammenities.

Don't forget those suite customers are also tipping an extra person (the butler) that us commoners don't have to worry about.

We personally were very happy with bringing the extra cash to do the tip envelope thing on the last night. However, it will be easier to just go along with the auto-tip procedure. If we get 'above and beyond' service from someone, then we will supplement the auto-tip.

What should we do with individuals that remove all tips and then pay nothing?

I seem to remember that in the UK -- groups eating at restaurants a 15% service charge was added to the bill automatically. I know this is common across other parts of Europe.

http://cruises.about.com/od/tipsforfirsttimecruises/a/cruise_tipping_2.htm

Enjoy!

Kel:)

You may also remember that although restaurants include a 15% service charge, the waiter still expects a tip as well!

You may also remember that although restaurants include a 15% service charge, the waiter still expects a tip as well!

Also on Miami South Beach most bars and hotels add a 17% service charge to your bills + an extra line for additional gratuities, I never dare ask for any of that to be removed :rolleyes:.

Also on Miami South Beach most bars and hotels add a 17% service charge to your bills + an extra line for additional gratuities, I never dare ask for any of that to be removed :rolleyes:.

That is also the general practice in SWFL; and, we approve of same. This is apparently a necessity, due to the small number of folks who will stiff the servers; and, who will then resort to euphemisms to attempt to justify their practice.

Lastly, I would hope that the Host would now close this thread.

That is also the general practice in SWFL; and, we approve of same. This is apparently a necessity, due to the small number of folks who will stiff the servers; and, who will then resort to euphemisms to attempt to justify their practice.

Lastly, I would hope that the Host would now close this thread.

Thats one of the reasons why celebrity has implemented auto-tipping......

Goodness, I can't disagree more. Those in suites have already paid more for their cabins, not to mention the additional butler tip.

On the ship you pay 15% of the cost of all bar items and the spa services. For example, the tip on a $10 martini is $1.50 and the tip on a $7 liquor drink of the day is $1.05. The bartender is doing the same service for both. Therefore, if you pay more for your cabin, you should pay more gratuities.

Hansi did you actually READ the fine print in your broschure before you booked your cruise?? As it is it has always been in there that you are required to "tip" as certain amount. When you book your cruise you are accepting this practise lock stock and barrel!

I will agree with you that the expression "tip" is an unfortunate one and should be replaced with the words "service charge" however it is a relic out of the old days of passenger ship travel which has simply stayed.

However this latest development is a direct result of many passengers coming onboard fully planning on not paying a single cent. Crews earning their "wages" in such a way is nothing new and most certainly not the cruise lines cutting back. Crews in the service departments have been paid like this since the early beginings of passenger ship travel.

In simple terms if you don't want to pay the tips for any reasons stay home or look for an alternative holiday/vacation option.

Moeve did you actually READ the fine print in your brochure before you booked your cruise?? As it is it has always been in there that tips amounts are at your discretion.

How rude of you to tell a fellow member to look for another vacation if they do not agree with your opinion.

You may want to look again before telling others how things work.

Just for your guidance, the bellow is taken directly from the Celebrity website (perhaps Celebrity have it wrong?)......

"For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion."

Please note the very last word!

I thank you.

I rest my case m'Lord!

I just spoke yesterday to a young waiter who called me from a port stop. Not naming either waiter or ship. During our conversation he stated, after I asked how auto tipping was working, that on the last cruise 400 people removed the auto tip. :eek: Maybe it needs to be made more difficult.

I wonder how many of those people did not tip at all. Just amazes and saddens me.

Anne

I just spoke yesterday to a young waiter who called me from a port stop. Not naming either waiter or ship. During our conversation he stated, after I asked how auto tipping was working, that on the last cruise 400 people removed the auto tip. :eek: Maybe it needs to be made more difficult.

I wonder how many of those people did not tip at all. Just amazes and saddens me.

Anne

Anne, I absolutely agree that non-tipping should not happen unless you have received very poor service AND you have taken it up with Guest Relations.

I am just stating that I do not agree with auto-tipping. I always tip for good service. I never tip for poor.

For us U.K cruises my TA encouraged me to pre pay tips as the "locked" in ex rate is good at the moment, if pound slips more then I will not loose out.

Rich..........

We did well on the pre-paid tips too because of the exchange rate when we booked. Although I have to say, all in all, I miss the days of $2/£1!

Archived