auto tipping - not removable ?

sheilauk

I have a question. If you pre paid you tips though your agent which the agent says is required and you have to cancel the cruise after final payment what happens to the tips? I have asked several trip insurance company and this will not be cover as in their eyes tips are options and not required. Their answer not mine Celebrity is no help with this question. So where do the tips go? Celebrity Corp. or who they were meant to go do that I will not see at all.

Pamkev, good point that one!

When we accept the auto tipping, do we get a card/confirmation to hand over on the last night to show our waiters etc that we have not forgotten them.

On our Jan 26th cruise on Century, we got nothing in the cabin or vouchers. I asked our waiters, head waiter, cabin stewards and guest relations did they receive the service charges put on my sea pass account i.e auto tips. They all said yes, and they knew it was me, and they really really liked the new system. I did too as it takes away all the hassle with cash on last night of the cruise. I observed in the Dinning room if cash envelopes were exchanged as pax were leaving and didnt see ONE.....

However if you never eat in the MDR then why should you pay tips to the waiters etc.

The waiters from the main dining room serve you in many other locations on the ship. If you had been to the main dining room and got to know your waiters, you would have noticed them working in the Cova Cafe or whatever they're calling it now, the buffet area, etc.

Why do people feel the need to voice their opinion and then wrap it up as fact as if to give it more credibility.

The Celeberity website informs us that tips amounts are discretionary. I will take my lead from Celebrity, not from one of their passengers who does not really understand the concept of 'discretionary'.

Cheers

Gerry

Amerie has alot of experience of what goes on and how much the staff are paid. Everybody knows they are low paid and need tips to give them a reasonable standard of living. If you can afford to holiday on Celeberity then you can afford to tip. Its a matter of doing the right thing by the hard working staff and not being ignoreing your fellow man or woman.

Kel, I agree with you. Each time there is a post on tipping, it seems odd to me that more Europeans object to it than Americans. I know that when I have travelled abroad a service charge is always added to my restaurant tab. To me, the auto tipping just makes things easier. I consider it to be a bargain for what I get in service, and am much happier not to have to worry about how many 10's, 20's & 50's I have to give our tips for the week or more. If we choose, we can give more to any of the staff. For what these people do, they deserve a minimum of what is allocated from the auto-tip. If you honestly felt that someone didn't do a good job, fill out a comment card and say so. That is worse for them than not giving them a tip at all.

Amerie has alot of experience of what goes on and how much the staff are paid. Everybody knows they are low paid and need tips to give them a reasonable standard of living. If you can afford to holiday on Celeberity then you can afford to tip. Its a matter of doing the right thing by the hard working staff and not being ignoreing your fellow man or woman.

I must have missed something, who is discussing not paying tips?

Hi,

Somebody mentioned this new policy so I thought I'd better check on it.

I must admit I was utterly gobsmacked at the range (and vehemence) of opinions expressed here.

I have read enough so I now know far more than I wanted to!

Here are some personal conclusions :-

Admittedly "tipping" is usually regarded as a reward for good service and something only witheld for poor service. Viewed strictly in that light then the automatic addition to your seapass is objectionable in that you are paying for something you aren't sure you are going to get. Of course people are justified in objecting to this.

However it would appear that on cruise ships the "tips" are in fact the major and vital part of the wages of most of the staff mentioned - partly due to historical reasons (we've always done it that way) partly as a means of keeping prices low (for cruisers) and several other factors as well. In effect people who DON'T tip as "they're just doing their job - no reason to pay them extra" are avoiding paying for the service they've had, however good or bad they see it. Some folks, sadly, just don't want to pay at all - which really is cheating. Viewed in this light then trying make sure that their staff get their "fair share" of things is only logical. What is sad about this is the implication that enough folks are opting out of their unwritten obligations/responsibilities with respect to this that this new "compulsory unless removed with difficulty" policy has had to be put in place.

In view of all the above I think one has to accept the whole thing as a standard service charge (as levied at many restaurants these days) with exceptional service being rewarded over and above the standard figures.

Admittedly this may be a rationalisation on my part as this is what we've been doing anyway - mostly because we've had no idea as to what was right and proper so happily accepted what was suggested (just lazy I guess).

What is sad about all of this is how many people seemed to be losing the plot of enjoying the cruise for itself and getting so upset about this. Since they would in all probability have happily paid the tips as a matter of course (I like to think the best of people) then its silly to spoil your own enjoyment on a matter of principle.

What makes me cross is the people who have forced this situation upon us - not the cruise line trying to cope with it.

OK - more than enough said. I have no intention of letting this spoil my cruise - life's too short.

Is it Margarita time yet?

Cheers

T&C

I hate tipping but totally accept that on cruises tipping is the main way the staff receive their salary and they work really hard. I personally prefer to have auto tipping so long as the staff know we have paid it. On our recent cruise alot of people were unhappy with this (particularly Brits) and refused to pay and this was removed from thier bill without any difficulty. I personally would prefer for the staff to be paid a proper wage and it be incorporated into the price of the cruise.

I hate tipping but totally accept that on cruises tipping is the main way the staff receive their salary and they work really hard. I personally prefer to have auto tipping so long as the staff know we have paid it. On our recent cruise alot of people were unhappy with this (particularly Brits) and refused to pay and this was removed from thier bill without any difficulty. I personally would prefer for the staff to be paid a proper wage and it be incorporated into the price of the cruise.

But did they want the auto-tipping removed because they prefer to hand the cash to the waiters etc? Or were they trying to get away without tipping at all? It seems to me that most posters here are annoyed about the tips being added automatically - hardly anyone has said that they wouldn't tip at all. Totally different issues!! Personally I prefer them to take it any way they want - saves getting all those dollars and splitting them up into envelopes. We have had tips put on our account in the past and we found it so much easier. The only problem we have found is, on the last night we sometimes prefer to go casual dining - then everyone assumes that you are avoiding the dining room because you don't want to tip the waiters (as has been mentioned here quite a lot - everyone just assumes they know everyone elses business)!!!!!

Agree with you 110%...........

But did they want the auto-tipping removed because they prefer to hand the cash to the waiters etc? Or were they trying to get away without tipping at all? It seems to me that most posters here are annoyed about the tips being added automatically - hardly anyone has said that they wouldn't tip at all. Totally different issues!! Personally I prefer them to take it any way they want - saves getting all those dollars and splitting them up into envelopes. We have had tips put on our account in the past and we found it so much easier. The only problem we have found is, on the last night we sometimes prefer to go casual dining - then everyone assumes that you are avoiding the dining room because you don't want to tip the waiters (as has been mentioned here quite a lot - everyone just assumes they know everyone elses business)!!!!!

I agree with you 110%.........................

You are on cruise where you get transportation, room, full board, stewards cleaning up after you, making your bed once or twice a day, changing your towels, cleaning your toilet, waiters serving you in the dining rooms and cleaning up after you in the buffets and you resent giving them each a few bucks a day. If you went to a restaurant, you would leave 10, 15 or 20% tip on one meal and yet you begrudge these hard working people a tip on principle because the cruise company tries to make it automatic. Frankly, you would tip in any hotel or restaurant so why do you think this is excessive, just becuase you are on a ship. If you can afford a holiday on a ship where everyone is serving you, and can afford excursions and the bar, what is the problem about tipping the people who are the most visible and work hard for those tips? Grow up!

...If you can afford a holiday on a ship where everyone is serving you, and can afford excursions and the bar, what is the problem about tipping the people who are the most visible and work hard for those tips? Grow up!
I believe the title of this thread says something about "removing auto tipping." The question was actually academic in that the OP had already prepaid the tips for an upcoming cruise.

Why has the thread turned into a series of lectures :confused: about why cruisers should tip the service staff? I just reread most all of the posts in the thread. I may be dyslexic but I cannot find more than one of two posts (out of about 115 posts or so) where anyone even hinted they were not going to tip members of the service staff.

I really am confused about why these tirades persist.

A few posts back, Gerrym asked a very appropriate question:

I must have missed something, who is discussing not paying tips?

I don't think anyone has answered that question. :rolleyes:

I believe the title of this thread says something about "removing auto tipping." The question was actually academic in that the OP had already prepaid the tips for an upcoming cruise.

Why has the thread turned into a series of lectures :confused: about why cruisers should tip the service staff? I just reread most all of the posts in the thread. I may be dyslexic but I cannot find more than one of two posts (out of about 115 posts or so) where anyone even hinted they were not going to tip members of the service staff.

A few posts back, Gerrym asked a very appropriate question: I don't think anyone has answered that question. :rolleyes:

Hear! Hear! Why can't people actually read a thread before they chime in with a tirade that has absolutely no bearing on the original question.

Sue

A few posts back, Gerrym asked a very appropriate question: I don't think anyone has answered that question. :rolleyes:

Well done. The voice of reason at last. As I said in my earlier post - removing auto tipping does not equal not tipping at all. Some people will only read what they want to read - and turn it into something else entirely in their minds.

Sue

Has it occured to many of you WHY the cruiseline felt it necessary to implement this "new" programe?? It seems we cruisers forced their hand again.

RCCL has seen their passenger base diversify in the last few years drastically and subsequently developed this problem. The Indepandance for example was based in the UK last year and apparently had a very dramtic flucuation of crew. Partly due to the depreciation in the USD but also because many crew members were being stiffed by passengers who in some cases were simply ignorant of the practice and in some because probably because they simply did'nt deem the practise necessary. In the end many crew mwmbers were only getting half or a thrid of what they would normally earn. This resulted in many transfer requests as well as termination of contracts - which in the end cost the line at lot of good crew too.

No one is pointing fingers but the was a definitve trend here and it has caused the line to react. It was abit like when bringing your own booze became a problem and it was cutting into the bottom line to such an extent the line had to react.

Now if you don't agree with the practice then take it up with the lines managment but don't put it on the back of those who do work very hard for you they are at the very bottom of the food chain.

Those of you who are suggesting that it is simply a matter of not wanting the cruiseline collect the funds onbehalf of their crew members are missing the point or underestimating just how many of our fellow passengers are indeed stiffing the crew or having them work for nothing.

Has it occured to many of you WHY the cruiseline felt it necessary to implement this "new" programe?? It seems we cruisers forced their hand again.

RCCL has seen their passenger base diversify in the last few years drastically and subsequently developed this problem. The Indepandance for example was based in the UK last year and apparently had a very dramtic flucuation of crew. Partly due to the depreciation in the USD but also because many crew members were being stiffed by passengers who in some cases were simply ignorant of the practice and in some because probably because they simply did'nt deem the practise necessary. In the end many crew mwmbers were only getting half or a thrid of what they would normally earn. This resulted in many transfer requests as well as termination of contracts - which in the end cost the line at lot of good crew too.

No one is pointing fingers but the was a definitve trend here and it has caused the line to react. It was abit like when bringing your own booze became a problem and it was cutting into the bottom line to such an extent the line had to react.

Now if you don't agree with the practice then take it up with the lines managment but don't put it on the back of those who do work very hard for you they are at the very bottom of the food chain.

Those of you who are suggesting that it is simply a matter of not wanting the cruiseline collect the funds onbehalf of their crew members are missing the point or underestimating just how many of our fellow passengers are indeed stiffing the crew or having them work for nothing.

So the implication is that this is all the fault of UK passengers? I do agree with what you are saying - there are some passengers who will "stiff" the crew - but I don't believe they are all UK or European passengers. There have been many threads about this subject and there are many that say they won't tip this person or that - because they never see them - but look at where those posters come from - they are not all in Europe. Despite what you think, some of these people are your fellow Americans - who surely should know better as they are well used to your tipping policies. Perhaps the only answer is to just add on the tips to the cost of the cruise - although others here have offered explanations as to why that is not a good idea for the cruise lines, financially.

Another point to consider - on one cruise we were charged the auto-tip (which they called a service charge) daily. We mentioned that on the last day the crew seemed to be less willing to please - and a fellow cruiser asked us - well did you tip them? Well, no, we didn't tip them any EXTRA - but they considered that we hadn't tipped them at all and "well, that is why then!" Now we have auto-tips, at what point are we allowed to stop tipping and it be ok with everyone - or is that now considered a "service charge" and tips are still expected on top of that - and will be frowned upon if you don't give any more? (As a matter of interest, on that particular cruise the service really wasn't very good at all).

Note we have never and will never remove tips!

Edited to say - sorry Moeve - I assumed you were American but you don't actually state where you are from. Apologies.

Sue

So the implication is that this is all the fault of UK passengers? I do agree with what you are saying - there are some passengers who will "stiff" the crew - but I don't believe they are all UK or European passengers. There have been many threads about this subject and there are many that say they won't tip this person or that - because they never see them - but look at where those posters come from - they are not all in Europe. Despite what you think, some of these people are your fellow Americans - who surely should know better as they are well used to your tipping policies. Perhaps the only answer is to just add on the tips to the cost of the cruise - although others here have offered explanations as to why that is not a good idea for the cruise lines, financially.

Another point to consider - on one cruise we were charged the auto-tip (which they called a service charge) daily. We mentioned that on the last day the crew seemed to be less willing to please - and a fellow cruiser asked us - well did you tip them? Well, no, we didn't tip them any EXTRA - but they considered that we hadn't tipped them at all and "well, that is why then!" Now we have auto-tips, at what point are we allowed to stop tipping and it be ok with everyone - or is that now considered a "service charge" and tips are still expected on top of that - and will be frowned upon if you don't give any more? (As a matter of interest, on that particular cruise the service really wasn't very good at all).

Note we have never and will never remove tips!

Edited to say - sorry Moeve - I assumed you were American but you don't actually state where you are from. Apologies.

Sue

Are you sure that the perceived lack of service on the last day was due to a tipping issue or the due to the extra duties that the crew members have to get ready for the next cruise?

Are you sure that the perceived lack of service on the last day was due to a tipping issue or the due to the extra duties that the crew members have to get ready for the next cruise?

Actually, since you asked, the "perceived" lack of service included our DR waiter not even acknowledging us in the buffet area - in fact he might as well have looked right through us - up to that point if he saw us he found us a table and offered to get our drinks etc. And before anyone asks, yes he knew perfectly well who we were - this was a 14 day cruise and we had spent almost every night in the dining room with the same waiter and assistant. But the attituded changed totally on the last day once the tips/service charge had been taken care of. Very co-incidental don't you think?

As the originator of this thread, I feel strongly that it should now be closed. I originally asked a a question which required a factual answer, nothing more, because I believed that erroneous information was being supplied by a major British travel company.

Thank you to those of you who provided actual information relating to their own on board experience and took the trouble to reply to my original question.

Actually, since you asked, the "perceived" lack of service included our DR waiter not even acknowledging us in the buffet area - in fact he might as well have look right through us - up to that point if he saw us he found us a table and offered to get our drinks etc. And before anyone asks, yes he knew perfectly well who we were - this was a 14 day cruise and we had spent almost every night in the dining room with the same waiter and assistant. But the attituded changed totally on the last day once the tips/service charge had been taken care of. Very co-incidental don't you think?

Not necessarily. You don't know if your waiter had heard bad news from home and was pre-occupied. Or perhaps the ship was going to be inspected and he was under pressure to get certain tasks done and had to work very late the previous night or he was just tired and working on auto pilot. There could be all kinds of reasons for the "attitude" change that aren't relating to tipping.

Some posts really are getting beyond belief!

I agree, probably better to close this thread now.

:(

Gerrym - what is the matter with you - why do you always seem to attack me because I can see there being a different side to the coin here. You seem to see this as an attack upon UK cruisers and you personally which this is not - it is just an example of what really happened. You don't believe me - go back on this board and you will see a whole lot of posts from fellow CC who heard this while on cruise last year. I asked too because I wondered why I was seeing such a change in crew during my Independance cruise last year. It was definately not normal.

Heck I may not agree with you and yes I do stick up for those crew members as I feel they don't deserve the kind of treatment they recieve from some of our fellow cruisers and they do deserve to get what they have worked for right?

I also never said that people always did this on purpose but that in many cases they just didin't seem aware of the custom and in thruth their TA should have made sure that they understood there would something like a service charge levied in the form of gratuities at the end of the cruise. It should also have been made clear as to the expected height of such.

Archived