Alaska cruise for 81 year old - need help please

emsachs

Hi!

My 81 year old father (who has taken only 2 trips in his life) recently told me that he wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska. My wife and I are excited about taking him in June 2005 (for his 82nd birthday).

However, after reading alot of the posts and information here, we aren't sure this is a good idea.

We are concerned because my father just doen't get around too well. He can walk short distances just fine, but may not be up to the rigors of a large cruise ship. (All the stairs, etc.....). In addition, I have looked at many of the shore excursions and most of these include short hikes, etc......These look great to me, but I'm just not sure of my dad.

Anyone have any suggestions or reassurances?????

Also, I think that an add on tour would be way too much for him as would a one way (Northbound/Southbound) cruise with an extra long trip either before or after the cruise. (He has to fly from the East Coast). How much of a pain is it to fly from Anchorage or travel back down to Vancouver??

We were thinking about a Vancouver round trip inside passage, however the number of ships that do this seems limitted.

(We were hoping for an upscale cruise like Crystal or Radison as my wife and I were on a Carribean Princess cruise and didn't think it was all that great). We would still consider a medium quality scale cruise line like Celebrity, Princess, etc.. if this is the best option)

Anyone have any suggestions for me???

Cruise line?

Excursions?

Itinery?

Thank all in advance!!!!!!

There are lots of 80 years olds on cruises to Alaska - so your father will not be out of place.

I have not been on the Caribbean Princess but many of my friends have and while I love Princess as a cruise line, I plan on avoiding this ship (too many people/space ratio bad).

Crystal and Radisson would probably be good choices. You may also want to look into Holland America - some of their ships are smaller and they do cater to older individuals. I think HAL is trying to cater to a new, younger group but their base clientele is older.

There are several excursions that your dad would be able to enjoy - whale watching in Juneau, Mendenhall glacier in Juneau (walk is short and very easy), White Pass railway and Yukon bus trip out of Skagway, one of the totem parks in Ketchikan, etc . There are also several boat rides out of these ports - many excursions do not require a lot of walking.

I say do it!

My 93 year old grandmother went on one. Get a cabin close to the elevator-less steps.Take tours like a City Tour in each port that require little or no walking. Take The White Pass Train ride or a boat trip to see wildlife.Tons of stuff to do that does not involve hiking. He will have a blast!

MY 86 yo neighbor went on an Alaskian cruise with her family two years ago. I believe that this trip was just prior to her having hip replacement surgery, but then again she is a go-getter. She loved train trip into Denali State Park and was encouraging my husband and I to include that on our trip.

You might consider doing one of the roundtrip cruises out of SF or Seattle. That way you will fly into and out of the same city. You could do a little add on at the begining of the cruise to allow him to acclimate to the time change.

Since all of the cruise ships have elevators and wheelchairs, moving round the ship shouldn't be difficult.

The Regal Princess is a smaller ship that goes out of SF. I understand that RCCL also has a ship out of SF, but I don't know anything about it.

We were on the Mercury (Celebrity) in August for a Seattle round trip. I highly reccommend Celebrity. It was the most relaxing cruise! We had a cabin right at the elevator--no noise problems. Besides the ports, there is so much to see right on the ship--the whales were right beside the ship---and the scenery along the inside passage was breathtaking.

If he has trouble walking, there are wheelchairs available. There are plenty of older passengers on board---go for it! This trip could be one of the best experiences of his life, and you will have cherished memories.

Anne

I had the same concern with my 84 year old Mother. We want to do a family reunion cruise to Alaska next year.

My Mother had a fall last year and has recovered nicely, she walks very slowly and with a cane. She can't walk very far either, but if she can sit and rest, she can keep going.

We did a trial run on a 4 day cruise to Mexico out of Long Beach, just to see if she would enjoy it and if she could keep up with all the walking, etc. I toyed with the idea of bringing a wheelchair and agonized about it right up to the trip.

She did GREAT. She had no problems at all. We selected excursions that did not require a lot of walking. The scariest thing was watching her descend down the gangway to board a tender that was rocking back and forth. The crew helped her and she was able to get in and out without any problems.

If we had to wait in a line, we would "park" her near the front and she joined us when we got there.

For the life boat drill, we went up early so we could take the elevator, otherwise she would have had to walk up three flights of stairs.

If you plan ahead and give yourself enough time to get from place to place, it should be fine.

So we're planning our cruise to Alaska for next year.

We are taking my 84 year old mother this coming June....she can walk, but only for short distances....I decided to rent a light weight collapsable wheelchair before we leave (it folds up really small and is lightweight....that way I have it for airports, excursions etc). We decided on HAL because they seemed quite elder friendly. The cruise lines have wheelchairs available for use on the ship, but they will not let you take them off the ship on excursions apparently....so I decided on taking our own. We booked cabins close to the elevator, and as others have suggested are planning to book excursions that she can do in either the W/C or with very little walking....she is SOOOO excited about the trip....she has told everyone she knows I think!!

The best part about an Inside Passage cruise....is that she can find a good viewing spot and take in so much from the ship.

We did a trip to Washington D.C., last spring with our friend the collapsible W/C and she did GREAT (using public transportation and everything) The chair really helps because she gets tired so quickly without it that it is hard to make much headway and see anything....but when she can ride she can go all day. .....she has reached the point where she will not try these trips alone but she is just delighted when she has family to take her and look out for all the details.

I say GO for it....there may never be another opportunity

i cant help you with the ship to cruise on since this is a personal preference and i have only been to alaska on the carnival spirit, but there are lots of wonderful bus or van tours he could take. the ones that go up to the white pass summit are wonderful and also the train ride would be a great experience for him. it would be his choice if he wanted to get off the bus and walk around when they stopped at locations. on my cruise there were alot of older passengers who had a wonderful time 'buzzing' around in their wheel chairs on the tours and in the ports and still having the time of their life. i hope you find a suitable ship and itinerary for all of you. you wont regrett going to alaska and seeing its beauty and ports.

We did Vancouver to Anchorage last year and took only the floatplane and still had a great time. Do not think you have to take ANY tours or run around. Just being on the ship and taking in the scenery is GREAT.

Granted we enjoyed just walking around town, but skipped getting of the ship in one port. Yes, there is lots to see, but also lots of touristy shopping that gets really old.

If you do end of up in Anchorage, just plan on spending the day there and taking a flight the next day, or at least get a cheap hotel room for the day before taking the late night flight.

RT out of Seattle or Vancouver would surely reduce some of the stress, but not a requirement.

Thanks to all so far for your help here.

I think we're definitely going to do it. My father is just so excited. I showed him some pictures on the web and stopped by a local travel agent and got a few brochures too for him to look at.

We are thinking the HAL might be a good one for him. They have a good RT Vancouver inside passage in June. We were initialyy thinking Radison but after talking with my Dad, we really don't think he would appreciate the dining/service like my wife and I would. It's also alot cheaper.

Can anyone compare HAL and Princess for me? (we took a Princess cruise once so we can use this as a base)

Are we missing anything by not going up North to see Hubbard Glacier or College Fjords?? HAL does go to Galcier Bay.

Are there any other MUST SEE's???

Are we missing anything by not going up North to see Hubbard Glacier or College Fjords??[/b] HAL does go to Galcier Bay.Are there any other MUST SEE's???

If I had to pick one between GB, Hubbard and CF - I would pick Glacier Bay.

Good luck in your planning :)

i loved glacier bay so much i am going back again in may.

your father and you will love this trip. and if he is excited now just wait untill all of you get on the ship and see the scenery and wildlife. it will be awesome. if you can get a balcony so your father can set on it and watch all the land go by and see any critters that might be about :) .

make sure you know which peir your ship leaves from in vancouver if that is your embarkation city. there are two ( canadian place and balintyne ) and it might determine the hotel you choose.

my friend and i are saving over $300 apeice on air fare by flying into seattle and then catching the Quick shuttle at the airport that goes to vancouver. the price difference will make it one less plane to catch for vancouver and will add a great tour for us when we get too one of the ports. have a wonderful time.

Definately go on this trip- with planning - will be a trip of a lifetime. :) I would strongly suggest your HAL Vancouver round trip choice. Just an excellent line in Alaska. Spring for a balcony- your father will get a lot of use out of it. If appropriate- consider a wheel chair, will expand on mobility options, some have rented in ports- perhaps? Also preplan your tours- plenty pick up at the ship- all ship tours do and some independents do too. PLAN for the tours- this just adds to the Alaska experience. Look over a shore excursion list and let your dad- select his interests- this board can assist you if needed in fine tuning the plans.

We took my mom through Europe (much less accessible) on a cruise last year with great results. I bought a mini scooter (which I keep at my house) for her to use. She would not have enjoyed the cruise nearly as much from a wheelchair, since she wouldn't have had her independence. There are several companies that will deliver a scooter (or electric wheelchair) to the cruise ship and pick it up.

http://www.scootaround.com/

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

Check out the Disable forum for lots of info for all the cruiselines and destinations.

You should also check about handicapped cabins if you will be renting a scooter. The mini scooters fit through a standard Celebrity cabin, but we would have needed a larger door opening for the full-size scooter. You also have more room for the same price with a handicapped room.

Marti

Archived