Does RCI Have A "Care Team" For Emergencies?

Just found out that my niece and her fiance were injured on a shore excursion from the Grandeur of the Seas when docked in Cozumel and were taken to a hospital. My niece has a broken wrist and her fiance has a broken jaw and is now missing a bunch of teeth. This was a graduation gift for the fiance and my sister in law did purchase travel insurance through RCI, but does not have the paperwork to call the company. The ship would not allow them to re-board and RCI is closed now with no emergency numbers listed. My sister in law is trying to arrange flights, etc., to get them home. I always thought that RCI had a "Care Team" on the ship to assist with emergencies like this, but apparently no one from the ship has offered any assistance except to pack up their belongings for them. Has anyone had an experience like this? This was their very first cruise and probably their last.

Just found out that my niece and her fiance were injured on a shore excursion from the Grandeur of the Seas when docked in Cozumel and were taken to a hospital. My niece has a broken wrist and her fiance has a broken jaw and is now missing a bunch of teeth. This was a graduation gift for the fiance and my sister in law did purchase travel insurance through RCI, but does not have the paperwork to call the company. The ship would not allow them to re-board and RCI is closed now with no emergency numbers listed. My sister in law is trying to arrange flights, etc., to get them home. I always thought that RCI had a "Care Team" on the ship to assist with emergencies like this, but apparently no one from the ship has offered any assistance except to pack up their belongings for them. Has anyone had an experience like this? This was their very first cruise and probably their last.

I am not certain on this, but I have read that each port has a "port agent". This agent is suppose to help those that are for some reason or another left behind in port. The care team you may be referring to may exist but could it be that this team is for emergencies that happen "on" the ship and not in port? I hope that your neice and her fiance will be ok and that they will be able to get home as soon as possible. Hopefully they have passports, this will facilitate their getting a flight back home. Accidents do happen, and I hope that they will try a cruise vacation once again as soon as they are able too. Please keep us informed, let us know how they are and when they are back home safely. It would be nice to know what excursion they were on and how they got hurt, it might help others thinking about the same excursion.

Annieeee

Thanks for your replies. We don't have many details yet, but I will post them when I know. My sister in law has arranged a flight home for tomorrow. The fiance is stabilized but will need surgery when he returns home. Thanks for the insurance phone number. They can't find them in the system (and my niece has the paperwork with her and did not make a copy for anyone) and told her to call back on monday. Right now we are concentrating on getting them home. When I know more, I'll post it. Thanks again.

they need to call that number asap as they can deny claims for not reporting it in a timely manner. At least get it on the record. Also they didn't let them back on to bemean but rather they were likely not equipped to handle such a serious injury as a broken jaw. If complications set in and they were out at sea, then he could have been in serious jeopardy.

My sister in law in Tampa does not have anymore details. I guess the kids are on pain meds and heavily medicated and there was just one phone call to the fiance's mother. My sister in law is going bananas over this, but was told their flight will come in tomorrow afernoon (the fiance's mom arranged it). My sister in law is the one who called the insurance company. Next time she knows to make copies of the information to have at hand, especially since the insurance company could not find them in the system. I'm sure she will call the insurance company tomorrow when she knows more.

Just found out from my sister in law that RCI has not forsaken my niece and her fiance. RCI in Cozumel will pick them up at the hospital tomorrow and take them to the airport. RCI knew they had the insurance,too. RCI did not want them to fly home until monday, but the fiance's mother wanted them home asap. They said the hospital was very nice and the doctor spoke perfect English and that they were in good hands. Now we feel so relieved!

Oh that is good news. At least your sister knows they are in good hands for now. I hope the Dr was able to ease her concerns. I am sure that I too would want to get them home as soon as possible. Glad to hear the RCI will be picking them up and taking them to the airport. Insurance is something that you hope you won't need, but good to have anyway.

Hope you are all able to get a good nights sleep.

Keep us posted.

Annieeee

Really? I was thinking more like jet skiing or motor scooter injuries. You know what I wondered when I read the initial post? (Glad they are OK and getting home BTW:)) Is Royal Carribean Cruise Care insurance like other travel insurance? In other words...will it cover you if you are on a non-cruise line booked excursion? Are you covered for all injuries, on and off the ship?

What caused their injuries- do you know?

One had a broken wrist... the other a broken jaw with missing teeth. Hmmm...

Truly tasteless "joke" and inappropriate, IMO.

tally10: Do please let us know what you find out (within the boundaries of what is "reasonable" to divulge to us--not asking for personal info). Definitely would like info on which excursion it was and what happened. It might save others from injury and pain down the road.

I'm sure you know to pass along everyone's good wishes, prayers, and such. In time, it might be a good idea to remind them that such accidents can and do happen anywhere and everywhere. Cruising in general isn't what caused their injuries--but I'm sure that right now, they don't see it that way. I hope they both heal quickly and get back to normal ASAP. I suspect that the fiance is going to need a fair amount of reconstructive surgery to his mouth and face. That is so sad.

beachchick

Thanks for your warm wishes. Did find out they were NOT on a ships' excursion, but had rented a motor scooter. They did have helmets on, thankfully. He apparently hit a bump and flew over the handlebars and hit the concrete face first. My niece went sideways and landed on her wrist. I'll let you know when I know more, but thanks again everyone. The initial details were just so sketchy. I'm glad RCI was there for them.

I'm glad they are going to be ok. I guess in the span of things that could have happened...:(

Perhaps since this accident could have happened anywhere, this won't be their last cruise. :o I'll be praying for safe and easy flight and speedy recovery!

Thanks for your warm wishes. Did find out they were NOT on a ships' excursion, but had rented a motor scooter. They did have helmets on, thankfully. He apparently hit a bump and flew over the handlebars and hit the concrete face first. My niece went sideways and landed on her wrist. I'll let you know when I know more, but thanks again everyone. The initial details were just so sketchy. I'm glad RCI was there for them.

Thank you for your update. We will keep them in our prayers until they are home with loving family!

Yikes, I think every cruise I have been on where those scooters are available I have seen someone injured, usually an ankle or foot injury. They should be banned unless you have a motorcycle license or similar experience.

Hope the kids are well on the way to recovery soon and I will keep them in my thoughts.

Yikes, I think every cruise I have been on where those scooters are available I have seen someone injured, usually an ankle or foot injury. They should be banned unless you have a motorcycle license or similar experience.

Hope the kids are well on the way to recovery soon and I will keep them in my thoughts.

Wow here comes it comes all us sheep are that are not so dumb that we need Big Brother to tell us what to do and what not to do. Don't worry it won't be long and that mind set will not allow anyone to leave the ship at all...

It's truely sad that the Big Brother crew is taking over Washington D.C. now but come on now we are going to try to control the world with this agenda.

Maybe a better idea for rocks to be banned from the roadway.

Sorry, I know of experienced bikers (not the motor kind) who have been seriously injured from rocks in the road, sticks they don't see, small ruts in the concrete, even a surprise snake. You cannot blame the skill of the rider, accidents just happen. It would be sad if they call it quits on life experience (be it cruise, riding a scooter, taking a vacation) because of an unfortunate accident.

Best wishes to your niece and her fiancee, hopefully their injuries will heal quickly. Plus, It's good to read that they are on their way home and the family now has some answers.

I do have a motorcycle license, have attended more than one Motorcycle Safety Course and won't ride in the Commonwealth of PA because the roads are so bad, and (IMHO) it is more dangerous to drive here than anyplace else I've lived. That said, when we pulled in to Bermuda on my first boat (submarine), we were expressly forbidden to rent scooters while ashore due to the excessive risk of injury while on a port call. I don't agree with the poster that said they should be banned, but there ought to be more direct warnings, with specific numbers pointing out the risks.

OP, good luck with getting them home safely.

Just an update on my niece and her fiance. They are still in the hospital in Cozumel for another night as the doctor did not release them in time to make either flight. They are hoping to make a Continental flight to Tampa via Houston (only an hour between flights) tomorrow and get in late monday night. The plan is to take them straight to the hospital and hopefully have them seen by a maxillofacial surgeon (for the fiance as he needs surgery right away) and an orthopaedic surgeon for my niece to set her broken wrist and repair her hands, which are missing skin with exposed bones. I think we will all be relieved when they are back in the U.S. Luckily, they were wearing helmets, so it could have been worse. We are hoping they will all be totally healed by their wedding in November. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers and info!

Archived