Rude people

Canusa02

Is the HC basically the same on all ships? This will be my first cruise with Princess. The pictures make it look similar to some buffet restaurants here (Old Country Buffet) and I can usually navigate those with little trouble. I just hope the food in the HC is better than that!

I loved the food. I took the pics to help first timers, like myself, to get ready for the maze. I am still trying to find the perfect camera shot that shows more room and better flow:D In the meantime add 6 feet to the pics and you still won't have enough room for Big Bertha, the trough for a tray, and ME.

I have a very low tolerance to rude or stupid people. I used to bite my tongue but as I have gotten older I tell it like it is.

We try to not go to the buffet in the morning or at lunch. We go to the main dinning room for breakfast and lunch. No crowds, no pushy people and they wait on you. If you’re still hungry they’ll bring you more. We’ll go to the buffet for a mid morning or mid afternoon snack. It’s kind of funny you’ll see some of the people in buffet homesteading a table for hours, they seem to think they own it. They won’t eat and leave they hang out for hours.

Is there a sign displayed at HC when one side is due to close down? If so, we never saw it. We went for one big breakfast (as opposed to balcony breakfast), about 9.45 and we only managed to get juice and cereal. The entrance gates closed then. :mad: Suppose we could have gone round to the other side but we were too fed up.

Usually there is a sign outside the main entrance saying to please use the other side since the side you are at is currently closed.

Great thread! It's all so true. This may not be polically correct, however it is so annoying and uncomfortable to be in a full elavator, stop at a floor and have someone in a wheelchair push their way on as if the fact that they are disabled and in a wheelchair allows them the privilege to require the other occupants to be so crammed together that they are forced to cover certain areas of their body in order not be pressed into extreme personal contact with another occupant.

Concerning the hogs at the HC trough. We always order morning coffee in our cabin and then eat about an hour before the HC is ready to make their transfer to lunch. Like another poster stated, we cruise through to see what our options are and then go back to make our choices. If someone appears to be in a trance attempting to make their selection, I just say 'pardon' and step around them. One of biggest gripes are the 'little angels' touching food, smelling it, and then putting it back. Please...parents teach them some manners. Don't get me started are the 'weight challenged', it's like being behind a Mack truck on the highway, oblivious to the rest of the world. You know your big, move to the right and let the traffic pass. And, yes the lounge hogs are a real pain. I've seen chairs covered with a towel and maybe a book sit for hours with nobody in them. I've also noticed the practice of cruisers taking one chair in the sun and another in the shade so that they can move back and forth while others are forced to sit in a table chair. Like most of you, I don't let this ruin my holiday. I just laugh it off, and yes, I have been known to make comments loud enough to be heard and I really don't care. I say to heck with political correctness and back to common courtesy!

LOL, I was wondering, did they apologize to you when they realized they were wrong?!:D

No way! I didn't touch the packages, just pointed them in the right direction. They didn't just go and retrieve their packages; instead, they got a waiter to move all their food items to the other section and went off huffing and puffing under their breath hahaha!

When we were on the Sapphire earlier this month, I never knew where the lines started or ended in the buffet. There were two distinct ways open into the buffet, so it was easy to "cut" into line and not even know that you were doing it (Those that have encountered this will know what I am talking about) It was nearly impossible to get that ONE item that you needed without incurring the nasty looks from those around you! I don't remember such problems on other ships (our last was the Carnival Destiny) because the layout of the buffet worked so much better.

As I've stated before, the rudeness did not affect my enjoyment of the cruise. I just was hoping that somebody might rethink their place on the ship. The actual buffet instances occurred when I was looking for a place to sit down. It seemed like some people went out of the way to get in front of me and then stop.

As for an earlier poster, I have not focused on the negative aspects of the trip, nor do I make it a habit to do so. When we get the pleasure of taking another cruise in a few years, I will be delighted (even if they make me wash my own dishes)

I come from the land of buffets: Las Vegas! Let me tell you, I see all kinds of people not knowing what is proper etiquette in the buffet line. When my DW and I are lining up, we are considerate of those behind us and quickly get what we want and move on. We always properly line up, unless it is a grazer and can't decide what they want and holding the entire line back. Then I will cut in front of you!:mad: Nothing more annoying than a grazer!

Someone, a few pages back, mentioned that Americans have a monopoly on rudeness. I respectively disagree. Wait till you go to China or Taiwan. People do not understand what queing up means. When we were in China, my wife was getting into the turnstile and a man cut right in front of her. After a week of being pushed around, she got tired of it and she threw her elbow out and pushed the man aside. Mind you, my wife is only 5' 2". Good thing I didn't see what went on. He would have gotten a mouthful of my "Chinglish.":D

When we were on the Coral or perhaps the Grand, there was an alarm that went off in the elevator if the weight limit was reached. That helped the people in the back from being squished and eliminated people pushing in. But it also was hard to get into the elevator on busy floors, the door would open and close and we wait again and again. No easy answer but to be patient and polite.

Carole

We just finished our first Princess cruise (Ruby 2/28/09), and were surprised at the number of rude guests onboard. While I know this is not limited to Princess cruise lines, I just wanted to point out that most people onboard spent a lot of money to be there. Please don't cut in line at the International Cafe. This happened several times when I was waiting for a brewed coffee (black), and I had to wait 5-10 minutes extra while some froo-froo drink was made up. Also, the buffet will not run out of food. Please do not trip my wife or myself so that you can get to the honeydew melon before me. I promise I will leave some food for you.

Sorry that this happened enough to have a lasting impact after the cruise. I too wonder about the social skills of some after each cruise. I just make a point to thank those that are extra courteous in hopes that this will spread the well manners.

You will get the few that feel as though they are entitled to whatever, fill in blank, but overall I think most folks are polite or try to be within their abilities!

The buffet is an interesting concept... if people just seem to be going through the line very casually and I only want one thing, I will ask if they mind if I just grab something quickly... and I have had no problems and I don't believe anyone thought I was rude... I always thank them after doing so! :) In so saying, I would never cut into the line with the free ice cream and fresh hot cookies... I would be mauled! :D

Happy cruising!

VB1

Is the HC basically the same on all ships? This will be my first cruise with Princess. The pictures make it look similar to some buffet restaurants here (Old Country Buffet) and I can usually navigate those with little trouble. I just hope the food in the HC is better than that!

It seemed to me that the HC's layout was slightly different on the Island and the Sapphire.

One advantage over some other cruiselines: the Princess buffet is open 24/7. If one side is being changed over for the next meal, the other one will still be open. And at least once during your cruise, one side will be closed for the kids' private dinner.

Sorry that this happened enough to have a lasting impact after the cruise. I too wonder about the social skills of some after each cruise. I just make a point to thank those that are extra courteous in hopes that this will spread the well manners.

That's a nice way to look at it. That strategy worked like a dream in my ex school job. Now we just need a bossy teacher standing in HC. :D

a few years ago on the first night of our second leg on a b2b on the tp we met our new tablemates. when one lady learned we were canadians, she told my wife "i dont know whats wrong with you people,you arent supporting us in the war" hey we were on a trip and not there to discuss her politics. the cruise was in june and later during the dinner she announced it was her birthday cruise (her birthday was in march)she expected us to sing happy b day when her cake arrived. a second lady at the same table on the same night gave the assisstant waiter proper sh....t in quite a loud voice for serving her soup from the wrong side. it was really quite embarassing.

they were both obnoxious

we changed tables

a few years ago on the first night of our second leg on a b2b on the tp we met our new tablemates. when one lady learned we were canadians, she told my wife "i dont know whats wrong with you people,you arent supporting us in the war" hey we were on a trip and not there to discuss her politics. the cruise was in june and later during the dinner she announced it was her birthday cruise (her birthday was in march)she expected us to sing happy b day when her cake arrived. a second lady at the same table on the same night gave the assisstant waiter proper sh....t in quite a loud voice for serving her soup from the wrong side. it was really quite embarassing.

they were both obnoxious

we changed tables

Ugh! That sounds horrendous. At least they belonged together with the other people on the table. Pity the poor souls that teamed up with them after you moved. TD seems such a lottery to me. :(

they were both obnoxious

we changed tables

That's why they have tables for two available.

Great thread! It's all so true. This may not be polically correct, however it is so annoying and uncomfortable to be in a full elavator, stop at a floor and have someone in a wheelchair push their way on as if the fact that they are disabled and in a wheelchair allows them the privilege to require the other occupants to be so crammed together that they are forced to cover certain areas of their body in order not be pressed into extreme personal contact with another occupant.

I say to heck with political correctness and back to common courtesy!

Well since the person in the wheelchair isn't able to use the stairs since the first step is a killer. Maybe the person has waited for several elevators only to find them full of able bodied people that could take the stairs. We have waited for well over 30 minutes to get elevators and no you can't go to a different bank of elevators because the cabin stewards carts block the hallways.

The next time that happens if you use common courtesy you will step off the elevator and take the stairs.

Cindy

Well since the person in the wheelchair isn't able to use the stairs since the first step is a killer. Maybe the person has waited for several elevators only to find them full of able bodied people that could take the stairs. We have waited for well over 30 minutes to get elevators and no you can't go to a different bank of elevators because the cabin stewards carts block the hallways.

The next time that happens if you use common courtesy you will step off the elevator and take the stairs.

Cindy

I agree with this. We have seen people take the lift for one floor. We have travelled with elderly parents and know it can be a nightmare when you NEED the lift and it's full of people who can walk a couple of flights. We try to use the stairs whenever we can.

We use the stairs as often as we can also, and often find that we can beat the elevator to our destination.

I have to say, though, that my pet peeve has to be with some people who use scooters. I've been run over, banged into, and even had one lady play chicken with me even though I had moved aside to give her room to pass. Oh, and the lady (why is it women who seem to be the most rude when on scooters?) who would put her scooter into high gear to enter an elevator before waiting to see if anyone wanted off, or if there was even room for her - and then admitted to someone that she didn't really need it, but enjoyed using it.

I'm sorry but i just have to say something ......

While I agree with all the comments made about people being discourteous and rude/ impolite and obnoxious... and the lack of manners ......... do you not realise that certain comments made by certain posters are themselves being rude and very offensive when talking about ..... lets just say the larger members of society ........... tollerance of others is also a virtue that goes along side good manners and being respectful.

Being refered to as " like being stuck behind a Mack Truck" I think is unforgivable and is guilty of the kind of rudeness this thread is aimed at.

Yes I am British and have been taught manners and respect for others and I never forget to treat others as I would like to be tret.

We use the stairs as often as we can also, and often find that we can beat the elevator to our destination.

I have to say, though, that my pet peeve has to be with some people who use scooters. I've been run over, banged into, and even had one lady play chicken with me even though I had moved aside to give her room to pass. Oh, and the lady (why is it women who seem to be the most rude when on scooters?) who would put her scooter into high gear to enter an elevator before waiting to see if anyone wanted off, or if there was even room for her - and then admitted to someone that she didn't really need it, but enjoyed using it.

I think I saw that same woman at Home Depot this morning.

Archived