Rude people

Canusa02

Reminds me of a tablemate last year on the Emerald....she looked across at us, and said...

"Wow, for Canadians, you really speak English very well.":eek:

But they spell it a bit funny...or is that US???

Et pour Caribill, je suis désorienté.

I'm sure you mean French-Canadian.

I am not sure if your remark was meant as a joke or not. I didn't understand it.

We speak French here. "French Canadian" is sometimes used to refer to Canadians whose mother tongue is French, whether they live in Québec or not. It does not refer to a language. Those of us from Québec prefer to refer to ourselves as québecois. Someone living elsewhere in the country might refer to themselves as a francophone.

You might wish to argue that the French spoken here is a variant of that spoken in France, but it is still French in the same way that "American" English is still English.

CD - now don't get your undies in a bunch, eh.....:)

I have heard others say my french is bush french. Heck, being from Novie, maybe it is, but who cares.

A lot of folks think if you are from Canada, it is "...oh ya, Montreal." So at least you have the satisfaction of that.

"Wow, for Canadians, you really speak English very well." Yup, thats the way it is seen. English is my first language so I guess I am an Anglophone, eh?

GO BRUINS:D

How's this for rude - on a recent cruise there were 400 folks from a European country which I will not mention - let's just say we won the war.

Two men were out off the ship for attacking a deck hand who was removing their "stuff" from dek chairs after 30 minutes.

Two women were put off the ship for shoplifting in the boutiques.

Two men went to the laundry room to settle a scuffle betwen their wives, got in a fight and were put off the ship.

I noticed a lot of other rude things from the same group during the cruise.

Ron

It is becoming more and more of a challenge to avoid contact with those of "rude" nature. We just try to smile and think that we don't have to go home with them. Thank goodness the ships are large:D

We always have had great cruises, because we don't let other people spoil or vacations, but I have found on just about all of our past cruises, regardless of cruise line, that there are just a lot of rude and obnoxious passengers....and I'm starting to believe that people check their manners in before boarding a ship. I've been stepped on, stared at, and even elbowed while standing in line at the buffet--by someone cutting in line! I've probably been apologized to 4 out of 10 times. I've grown accustomed to it these days.....

I think some people forget that we are all on vacation, not just them. Some people just don't have any manners....just don't let it affect your cruise....

We are leaving from Quebec on our cruise in October. Will my basic school French be understood there? ( It`s not that good. I even struggle in France. :eek:)

I always try to speak a little of the local language when I visit a country.

I am really looking forward to visiting Quebec.

We are leaving from Quebec on our cruise in October. Will my basic school French be understood there? ( It`s not that good. I even struggle in France. :eek:)

I always try to speak a little of the local language when I visit a country.

I am really looking forward to visiting Quebec.

You are going to LOVE Quebec. It's such a beautiful city. Great sites, Great food and Great people. We were there in the summer of 2007 (land trip, not a cruise). Although you can get along just fine with English, the Québecois will be very appreciative of your French efforts.

Enjoy Quebec and your cruise.

Caribill, my dizziness has subsided. Let us together welcome Caber to North America by assuring him that French-Canadians are unlike Parisians in that they do understand people with imperfect accents.

When we were in Paris everyone thought Pete was from Québec and would not believe he is from the USA. His mother's ancestors were from France & his father's were among the founders of Sorel.

Steve

Don't know why we are spending time picking on our neighbors and friends from Quebec. I have more issues with rudeness from our own that have traveled from the East Coast to sail with us.

CD - now don't get your undies in a bunch, eh.....:)

I guess you are trying to indicate that I was upset? I wasn't actually. I was simply trying to be informative.

I won't say anything more here other than to indicate I find this type of language highly ironic in a thread on rudeness.

We actually took a cruise with my parents that visited Quebec City. This was just to see Quebec city, my great, great grandmother was from there and how I was given my name. I was warned people might be rude. Have always found people from Canada to be very nice.

I did not find anyone rude there, more confused with my very French first name and very Irish last name and I did not change my last name. I have understood all the french being written. I learned that from Grandpa.

But honestly as far as rude and cruising, not seen a lot. Although there was that one Mexico cruise with two French Speakers on a tour. Threw them when I answered a question. They were not being rude, just thought they had their own language, aside from English.

Quebec city is beautiful.

I guess you are trying to indicate that I was upset? I wasn't actually. I was simply trying to be informative.

I won't say anything more here other than to indicate I find this type of language highly ironic in a thread on rudeness.

Nope, just using my sense of humor. That is why I used the smiley face

:):):):)

I have to agree with the poster who said the Chinese were rude. On a Baltic cruise last May only about half the ship was American. There was a large group of Chinese. Their rudeness was so obvious that even the comedians were commenting about it in their shows. They cut in line at the buffet. Rushed right past people that had been waiting patiently for an elevator. Saved seats at the shows. We were behind about 3 other people in one of the shops waiting to make a purchase. As the people in front of us left & we were handing our purchase to the gentleman at the register, a Chinese woman ran up out of nowhere & started saying very loudly "I next, I next". The gentlemam tried tp tell her nicely that we were next but she just kept shoving her purchase at him & saying "I next". We just looked at the man & motioned for him to check her out. It just wasn't worth a scene & we laoughed about it after she left. The clerk just kept apologizing. We told him not to worry about it. Everyone was commenting about their rudeness. On embarkation day we had lunch with a young Chinese woman who was with the group. She was extremely polite & we enjoyed her company. Too bad the rest of the group gave the Chinese a bad reputation. Even rude people can't ruin our cruise.

Archived