Paying to upgrade at pier

katt1

Since the Allure and the Oasis are such big ships, does anyone know if there is a greater availability for these upgrades at the pier?

Thanks.

It doesn't depend on the size of the ship as much as it does on how near capacity your sailing is. Each sailing will be different and you just have to be willing to take your chances and resolve to be happy with your assigned stateroom if an upgrade isn't available or costs more than you are willing to spend. I'm not sure how true the old axiom is that the most expensive and least expensive rooms sell out first, but if it remains true, the likelihood is that even when the ship is not sold out, the available rooms are most likely to be in the mid range of cost and not the higher priced suites.

I haven't seen any upgrades available ever, using the old list posted here. I assume when there is an unexpected event like a volcano or hurricane they become available, but I would book the cabin you are comfortable with.

I haven't seen any upgrades available ever, using the old list posted here. I assume when there is an unexpected event like a volcano or hurricane they become available, but I would book the cabin you are comfortable with.

Its not something you would have "seen". You have to ask for the pier co-ordinator after you check on... and go there.

Its not something you would have "seen". You have to ask for the pier co-ordinator after you check on... and go there.

I understand, I should restate this, when I asked the Pier Coordinator, since I have been cruising RCCL in 2002, the pier coordinator has never had the list that is posted here on cruise critic.

I am happy with the cabin I am in...but the sailing seems to have a lot of suite availability and if the pricing above is true, then it would be great to upgrade to a JS for $400.

So if, when you check in, there is a sign on the counter that says "no upgrades available", then does that mean that I shouldn't bother asking for the pier coordinator?

So if, when you check in, there is a sign on the counter that says "no upgrades available", then does that mean that I shouldn't bother asking for the pier coordinator?

The sign "No upgrades available" is on every Guest Relations counter on every ship on every sailing.

The sign "No upgrades available" is on every Guest Relations counter on every ship on every sailing.

So true! We always ignore that sign! Last time we were on the Sapphire Princess and the sign was up, my mom and dad went up to the desk and asked if an upgrade was available because their room was "smaller than they thought" (they were newbie cruisers and didn't realize that 150sf is a "spacious balcony"). The lady smiled and sold them an aft suite right then and there, for $600 difference. They were thrilled.

Katherine

We upgraded at the Pier Coordinator's desk last December for the Holiday Explorer cruise; we figured they would be doing this since 600 people were snowed in at Heathrow in London.

The upgrades are not free but are much cheaper then booking the more expensive cabin ahead of time.

After checking in and getting your SeaPass cards, ask to be taken to the Pier Coordinator's desk. They sell the upgrades.

Very interesting!!! Thanks for the info.

I would pay $400 to go from Owner's to Royal.

it is still listed on the website,

but have a few days to go yet! :D

:rolleyes:

The cruises I have been on recently, won't allow you to upgrade for the price, they will use the suite for a bingo prize or let it go empty. Let us know if you get the $400 upgrade.

Love the Upgrade'

Thanks for all this info. We did our 1st cruise @ 2001 and were asked at

check in if we would like to buy up ... newbies ... just said "no thanks"

... happy with our balcony . Years later, our necks have stretched

from all the searching for the ^grades. Had a two day before move from

Balc 180 to Suite 350 ... $400. What fun that was!!!

Booked On Allure in September through a "Group" cruise. They said we must upgrade 'using' them ... not the Line.? Anyone know ??

The Question being:If you got the cruise using a "group" can one still go to the pier coordinator to ask for upgrade ...???

Thanks , Seamo

Love the Upgrade'

Thanks for all this info. We did our 1st cruise @ 2001 and were asked at

check in if we would like to buy up ... newbies ... just said "no thanks"

... happy with our balcony . Years later, our necks have stretched

from all the searching for the ^grades. Had a two day before move from

Balc 180 to Suite 350 ... $400. What fun that was!!!

Booked On Allure in September through a "Group" cruise. They said we must upgrade 'using' them ... not the Line.? Anyone know ??

The Question being:If you got the cruise using a "group" can one still go to the pier coordinator to ask for upgrade ...???

Thanks , Seamo

If there are upgrades you will be eligible, we were offered an uprade for $3k for a Gs to-aloft.

The cruises I have been on recently, won't allow you to upgrade for the price, they will use the suite for a bingo prize or let it go empty. Let us know if you get the $400 upgrade.

$800.00 is a bargain to upgrade from an OS to the RS.

But as Alex points out.....they get a much greater price for it thru Bingo!

It very seldom goes empty, unless there is work to be on in the cabin, as the ships try to keep the RS in better shape than other cabins....and there is more to go wrong in the RS.

Let us know how you make out!!:)

Rick

Is there a pier coordinator at EVERY embarkation port worldwide? Cruising out of Venice in Oct, might ask to be directed to them. Thanks.

Quick and correct answer..........YES! Every port has a pier coordinator, but the real question is......how efficient they are......or "how efficient are they"???:) Some are wonderful.

Now for the truth......we have only dealt with Pier Coordinators here in the United States..........uh, and one in Canada.

I'm not sure what you are looking for....how booked is your cruise today? What are you looking for........that you think that you will get in October? This is the beginning of July.

We booked one of the last OS's on the Jewel of the Seas. for the 2012 westbound TA.......to be exact.

In what catagory are you presently booked? Why do you think that there will be anything open in October, when you cruise out of Venice??

If, per chance.......that you are offered the upgrade........know that it's because someone has forfitted their cabin...due to illness, etc.

If something becomes available, at the cruising deadline......the Pier Coordinator is the person that can give you the best deal.

Good luck on your upcoming cruise...........in getting an upgrade!

Great cruising to you..........as you already have booked a cabin of your choice.......and are now looking to upgrade!

Rick

Thanks , Seamo

I wonder if you are booked like I am. I know RCL sets the upgrade prices prior to leaving on the cruise... but Im still curious if I could get a upgrade closer to the cruise.

Yes, you would be elgible at the port. its out of the TAs hands by then.

Are you on the Sept 4th Allure?? I know my TA has a group that date too, Im on the Sept 3rd Oasis, and when Allure came up I couldnt do both of course.

Is there a pier coordinator at EVERY embarkation port worldwide? Cruising out of Venice in Oct, might ask to be directed to them. Thanks.

No, there isn't.

Not sure if it depends on the port or who is responsible for organising, but we asked that question in this region and they don't know what you are referring to, and just direct you to Guest Services on the ship for handling upgrades.

The Pier Coordinator is alive and well at Terminal 18 in Port Everglades.

I sailed Allure of the Seas in May, and I stopped to talk to the Pier Coordinator after I checked in and received my Sea Pass Card.

There were lots of Balconies available, but no Suites. The Miami revenue dept decides what cabins to release to the PC shortly before check in time.

I was already in a balcony cabin at the time, so there were no Pier Coordinator upgrades by me on that day.

Radio

;);)

The Pier Coordinator is alive and well at Terminal 18 in Port Everglades.

I sailed Allure of the Seas in May, and I stopped to talk to the Pier Coordinator after I checked in and received my Sea Pass Card.

There were lots of Balconies available, but no Suites. The Miami revenue dept decides what cabins to release to the PC shortly before check in time.

I was already in a balcony cabin at the time, so there were no Pier Coordinator upgrades by me on that day.

Radio

;);)

Thanks for the info, Radio! Did you happen to notice or find out if the prices are the same as you previously posted?

Archived