Ny ch 2 news..pregnant woman booted from cruise

trock

Seriously though do the math.

Says she booked in August and was due in April.

so either she was pregnant and didn't know it

- or got pregnant from the celebrating booking a cruise.

Yeaahh.. but back then (Aug.) she was just a little pregnant, OK?

Cut her some slack, will ya? :D

She didn't know the condition would get worse/bigger. :eek:

Maybe it's her first time.

Maybe she doesn't even know what caused it? :)

Yeaahh.. but back then (Aug.) she was just a little pregnant, OK?

Cut her some slack, will ya? :D

She didn't know the condition would get worse/bigger. :eek:

Hey!!!! <thwaps Aplmac> EVERYONE knows not to swallow the seeds of the watermelon:rolleyes:

That last part is the big one. You can't intentionally go in a high risk situation away from hospitals etc and hope everything goes fine. What happens if the baby need oxygen or a transfusion? They aren't going have a neonatal hospital on board. By the time they got to a hospital there would be a chance they'd of lost both if the worst happened.

That's what the cruise lines and most sane Mothers want to avoid. They don't want to risk the Mother or/and babies health if one of those what ifs actually happens.

I shudder whenever I see one of these stories. Had a normal pregnancy going and asked my doctor, at about 16 weeks, if it would be okay to go to see my navy husband when the ship pulled into a port in Europe (I was also active duty at the time). He gave the okay. Well, while there, I started to miscarry and ended up in the hospital. They stabilized me, but would not let me be moved until I could be picked up by a medevac aircraft due to a blood clot that could have caused hemorraging. Arrangements were made and I was airlifted to Frankfurt, Germany. Let me tell you.....that aircraft was equipped with everything that could have possibly been needed including an incubator. Still lost the baby several weeks after I arrived in Frankfurt. So let me say that you just never know what can happen. I totally do not blame the cruiselines for not wanting to carry pregnant passengers beyond a certain point. They simply are not equipped to handle an emergency such as the one I had. Unlike most planes, a ship cannot just find a nearby airport to land at and be met by emergency personnel.

I'm glad the news piece mentioned that RCCL had the policy listed on their website, but I still think that this news piece was reported unfairly. I wish the reporter would have talked about WHY this policy is in effect... Its not just because the cruise lines don't feel like having a pregnant lady on-board, but that they can't care for her or her baby if there is any kind of emergency. I just think that the general public will view this news clip and agree with the pregnant woman because they don't realize how cut off she would be on the ship.

Also, does anyone know what RCCL's policy about pregnancy was before? They talk about this pregnancy policy being on the new side - what did they do before? Carnival has had their policy for a long time, right?

Is she really having octuplets?? Also, she said she booked this in August...was she pregnant then?? Did TA actually come out and ask her if she was pregnant??

No, she only had 1 cabin booked.

Also, does anyone know what RCCL's policy about pregnancy was before? They talk about this pregnancy policy being on the new side - what did they do before? Carnival has had their policy for a long time, right?

RCCL and Carnival changed their policies within a few weeks of each other. Before last April, RCCL's policy was 27 weeks - so even then this woman would've been out of luck.

Speaking of not knowing what caused it - 3 teachers in my school came back married after long vacations due to shotgun weddings. One of them had the baby, and got pregnant again 1 month after the birth. She looked at me, and said - and I quote "I don't know how I got pregnant again!" I gave her a quick birds and bees lesson (your husband's ____ goes into your ______." ) LOL!

This was not the RCCL cruise gal's first child. No way I would want to give birth on a ship, or in a foreign country. What a dummy!! (and I wonder - would that have made the baby a citizen of that country, or of the US? I would think, of that country)

This was not the RCCL cruise gal's first child. No way I would want to give birth on a ship, or in a foreign country. What a dummy!! (and I wonder - would that have made the baby a citizen of that country, or of the US? I would think, of that country)

If the mother was a US citizen, then the baby would be a US citizen.

Thanks for that info. I actually thought it was where the birth was, not where the parents were from. You learn something new every day! (but at least I know how/where babies are made/come from - LOL!)

Thanks for that info. I actually thought it was where the birth was, not where the parents were from. You learn something new every day! (but at least I know how/where babies are made/come from - LOL!)

My 34 year old cousin is a single mom...she's been divorced a few years...last year she tells me she's pregnant, I asked her if she was going to marry the father (just out of curiosity) and her reply to me was no, because she didn't know him that well...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

(and I wonder - would that have made the baby a citizen of that country, or of the US? I would think, of that country)

I believe the baby would have dual citizenship. I have a friend who was a military brat and born in Belgium. She has the dual.

Two asides - when you are that far along, don't you have to see the doctor weekly? Wouldn't there be some flags raised when you cancelled because you were GOING ON VACATION?

Also, having experienced the joys of swelling and discomfort of pregnancy, who would willingly put themselves in a tropical environment?

CJ

My 34 year old cousin is a single mom...she's been divorced a few years...last year she tells me she's pregnant, I asked her if she was going to marry the father (just out of curiosity) and her reply to me was no, because she didn't know him that well...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now I would be flamed if I posted the above!;)

The posts would go something like this:

A. Why should she marry?

B. She should be able to do and/or sleep with whomever she wants

etc. etc. etc.

But not knowing him very well....says alot about how some of us operate, doesn't it?

Did you know that right now, on a major Ivy League campus, there is a movement to actually outlaw Heterosexual unions? You read this correctly!

My TA has never asked me if I'm pregnant nor told me to read ship company policies. The agency should not be asked to cover.

Oh, come on. At some point in the business relationship between agent and client, a huge pregnant belly becomes obvious. Pregnant women love to talk about it........

Please, not only is the passenger a nitwit, the travel agent is incompetent.

I actually thought it was where the birth was, not where the parents were from.

You learn something new every day!

In all likelihood, the child would be entitled to dual nationality.

If the kid had popped out in Barbados, it would certainly be entitled to Barbados citizenship

since it would have a Barbados birth certificate

-very handy in later life, when time comes to retire in a warm place.

Due to the mother's/parents' nationality being USA,

the parents would register the birth of their new child upon returning to the US

(or at the local U.S. Embassy!)

and the kid would also be American citizen, with USA passport,etc.

I know Americans on the island here, the kids were born here

- the kids have both nationalities and passports. Very cool life-situation!! :)

Most modern countries have now done away with (or are doing away with) the single nationality thing.

It's become a case of don't ask, don't tell.

I have dual nationality - both Barbados and UK (my Dad was a Brit)

I'm also entitled to triple nationality in that I was born in South America (British Guiana to be precise)

and so I can have that citizenship and passport if I so desire(working on that).

I 'only' have two passports. Want three. :( :D

I don't think they are equipped on a ship to perform a C-section if necessary, and sometimes these procedures become necessary suddenly.

They have NO facilities for delivering babies onboard....nothing to handle emergencies or problems that may arise, no facilities for c-section, no equipment to handle a distressed newborn, no incubators, nothing.

This is the reason why a baby must be at least 6 months old to cruise with the parents. There is nothing but the basic medical care available onboard. It's all in the terms and conditions of the cruise line......

G'ma I've never seen a travel agent, I use one over the phone. And not once have they ever asked me if I'm pregnant.

You cannot blame the travel agent if you don't know the situation.

A competent travel agent - online or otherwise - would at least have referred the client to the website and encourage her to read and understand and sent out the terms and conditions with the invoice.

The problem is this: with all the "travel agents" available online, there is no way to know if you are dealing with a professional who knows what she's doing or some nitwit who has bought into the system and hangs out her "travel agent" sign.

I've recently retired after 32 years in the Travel Industry....as a professional, well traveled, experienced agent who worked in an agency for one full year before I was ever allowed to handle clients. It takes at least 2 years to train an agent to be competent enough to handle airline reservations and ticketing...and NO agent is competent enough to sell cruises until/unless she has been onboard one or two.

A competent agent, online or otherwise, would send the cruise line passenger ticket contract and/or terms and conditions along with the invoice when mailing.

When somebody makes the decision to book with an unknown entity over the phone or online, that person must make sure that all their ducks are in a row......for the faceless agent in a faraway place has no interest other than the money made from commission.

I'm glad the news piece mentioned that RCCL had the policy listed on their website, but I still think that this news piece was reported unfairly. I wish the reporter would have talked about WHY this policy is in effect... Its not just because the cruise lines don't feel like having a pregnant lady on-board, but that they can't care for her or her baby if there is any kind of emergency. I just think that the general public will view this news clip and agree with the pregnant woman because they don't realize how cut off she would be on the ship.

Most cruise lines had a policy in place that you could cruise at 27 weeks. With technology now able to save many early pregnancies at 24 weeks, they lowered the bar last year....or the year before....

Well that's just a general rule. It gets to be fun when you start talking about the father (but not the mother) being a US citizen and other issues.

Oh' date=' come on. At some point in the business relationship between agent and client, a huge pregnant belly becomes obvious. Pregnant women love to talk about it........

Please, not only is the passenger a nitwit, the travel agent is incompetent.[/quote']I've used a TA 4 times for cruises but have only met one face-to-face. All the others have been online. For my upcoming cruise, my TA is in San Diego and I live outside Houston. I've only spoken to her on the phone once - all other correspondence has been email. How would she know if I were pregnant or planned to get pregnant? It's not something that you can tell by email or phone. I'm still in my "child-bearing" years, which my TA could easily discover since she has my birthdate but she has never asked about pregnancy. In my opinion, it's none of her business unless I bring the subject up.

I also seriously doubt the woman in the news story told her OB/GYN that she was going on a cruise. I can't imagine that a responsible doctor would have given her the okay to travel that late in her preganancy.

Says she booked in August and was due in April. so either she was pregnant and didn't know it or got pregnant from the celebrating booking a cruise. Either way when she went to the doctor he said your due date is XXXX and the first thing that'd come to my mind would be "hey I'll be on a cruise about then" and the second thing would be "oh S**T I'll be on a cruise at that time..."

My eldest was conceived in August and was born in June. To be dued on April 7th, the baby had to be conceived late June...

Did a little math. Based on a normal 28 day cycle. It was estimated that she concieved July 15th. So there is a small chance she still did not know she was pregnant when she booked. However she would have found this out shortly after at the very least if she didn't already know and she would have been outside of the penalty phase for cancelling and would have gotten all her money back. So all in all, she is a nitwit.

I think this may lead to a booking check list. Essentially getting passengers to alleviate the cruises from any liability since the person would have to agree to this like a part of the cruise contract.

Archived