Alaska is much more difficult than the Caribbean!

lovebug33

Okay, maybe it's because I am from Vegas, but packing to go to Alaska is so much more difficult than the Caribbean cruise we went on last year. I just had to throw in some capris and tanks and a swim suit and off I went. This whole coat issue is about to throw me into conniptions three months before my cruise! Although, as DH has put it, I don't have to get wet except to take a shower, so that does make me happy! Is anybody else as crazy as me?

I had a similar issue trying to pack for our Mexican cruise --- I could NOT get my head around the idea that we could dress in shorts first thing in the morning, and be weather-appropriate for the entire day :D I was nearly insane by the time we got to the ship!

(Where I live, even in summer, I need to layer. And usually around 1 or 2 pm, come home and change into shorts, because by then jeans or capris are too warm.... but they were PERFECT at 8 am when the temp was 50F!)

As for "not getting wet", you may miss some of the most spectacular scenery and experiences if you don't have a hooded rainproof jacket -- do what you must to get yourself one, IMHO.

Don't you have a parka for the winters in Las Vegas? I have been to Vegas in December when it snowed and it was cold. And I know it rains there also sometimes so I would think you would have some sort of thinner parka. And you can put it over a sweatshirt that you probably already have. Wear a short sleeve t-shirt, maybe a mock turtleneck, sweatshirt, then thin parka and you will be fine. Take off the layers according to how the weather dictates.

In June, 2005, my 25 year old daughter was all bundled up and went dog sledding at the top of the glaciers in Juneau and when she came down it was 80 degress and she went back to the ship and put on shorts and a tank top. We brought one pair of shorts just in case and she used them. I wore thin long pants and was fine.

The trick to Alaska is layer, layer.

Oh, yeah, I have a jacket, but I avoid wearing it :). And, we went to Denver. It's just not something I'm used to. Usually, a light jacket or a sweatshirt and I'm good to go. I don't mind rain wet, I just HATE swimming, so I am glad that is off the docket!

You don't need a heavy parka in Alaska. I have been there three times and only used a fleece lined jacket and gloves when looking at the glaciers. An umbrella or light hooded jacket was used much more. Don't worry about the weather or it can ruin your time. And you can use the pool it is open all the time.

As many have stated on many threads layering is the key rather than a heavy parka. Assuming that your first port stop is most likely Ketchikan another option is to buy a fleece lined water repellant or waterproof hooded jacket when you get there. They are very fairly priced.

I get cold very easily ( even though I am from PA) and find silk underwear or cuddle duds ( both top and bottom) go a long way towards keeping me warm without any bulk.

I absolutely hate cold weather and my friends are amazed I am going back to Alaska ( in May no less) but once you have been there you will understand why it is worth the cooler temperatures.

Enjoy and don't fret the cold. You can always buy extra layers if you need them.

Okay, maybe it's because I am from Vegas, but packing to go to Alaska is so much more difficult than the Caribbean cruise we went on last year. I just had to throw in some capris and tanks and a swim suit and off I went. This whole coat issue is about to throw me into conniptions three months before my cruise! Although, as DH has put it, I don't have to get wet except to take a shower, so that does make me happy! Is anybody else as crazy as me?

Either I'm an enigma or I must be doing something wrong because THIS is the least packing I've ever done. Mainly because the kids are staying home, #2 - DH wants to pack for himself this time:D, and #3 - I'm siked about wind pants and jeans the whole time. I have my new Land's End 3-in-1, waterproof shoes (which I don't really like), and my silkies. The only thing I'm lacking is my passport, rumrunners, and gloves. Cool weather crusin is definitely easier for me. BTW, anybody know of gloves that DON'T inhibit you? I hate gloves cause they seem to get in the way if you know what I mean. Please advise

When we cruised 2 years ago I took a fleece jacket that wasn't warm enough. We both ended up buying lightweight coats in Alaska with a hood. We didn't have gloves but our hands were fine. Coats were only about 25 dollars and they were warm. Packing those coats for home was a little difficult, we ended buying a duffle bag in Prince Rupert to help out.

yes! shopping when you get to Alaska is a great way to go for the warm clothing! last summer, i tried to find things in Phoenix for my 1st cruise to Alaska and drove myself crazy not finding "stuff"---imagine that, no beanies and gloves in Phoenix during the summer to be found!! So, yes on the layering with final layer waterproof.....and if you want, you can still wait to purchase what you need when you arrive at your first port....this year my packing seems really easy!! (ps, we are also forgoing the formal nights and just making Alaska "adventure" trips--even easier packing!!)

I grew up in LA and then lived in LV for 12 years and now live in MT where it gets cooooolder here than it does Alaska. Their summer temps are milder than mine. Just layer layer layer. T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, a fleece or a sweatshirt and a light jacket. Throw some gloves and a hat in your suitcase and you should be fine.

I live in west central Florida, and am finding packing for an Alaska cruise in September daunting. Here, there are a few winter days when lined windbreaker or a sweatshirt is called for. Otherwise I don't have outerwear that I would think would be sufficient for Alaska. I sure don't want to go buy a heavier jacket for 7 days of use (which would be impossible to find here anyway).

I am planning to take jeans and some long sleeve knit tops for daytime wear. I think I can get by with layering and a lightweight jacket. At least I hope so.

Don't you have a parka for the winters in Las Vegas?
I lived there 13 years and never had anything heavier than a light coat and lined windbreaker in my closet! When I went somewhere cold, I'd just layer, and that worked just fine. Layers are the rule of the day in Alaska. You just never know what the weather's going to do.

Last Caribbean cruise out of Galveston few years ago on the Grand because of a different itinerary plus Cozumel. When we got to Cozumel there were 8 cruise ships there. Except for the canal we just don't do the Caribbean anymore.

Sure glad we discovered Alaska in 02 and there is nothing you can compare it to because nothing will compare to it. IMHO of course. Will be there for the 4th time in August on the Island.:D

Layers, waterproff, hood, and binoculars for the golf balls. That's all you will need and you will love it.:)

Jack and Nora

for the

I live in west central Florida, ...

I am planning to take jeans and some long sleeve knit tops for daytime wear. I think I can get by with layering and a lightweight jacket. At least I hope so.

Seems a fleece jacket and a waterproof windbreaker (as others have mentioned) would be useful in Florida too. I find when you put those two together in various combinations (from both zipped -> only the fleece unzipped), you're good between 25 to 70F. AND when not in use a good waterproof windbreaker packs very small. By the way, if you don't want to spend much, check out last year's models at Campmor.

This year will be our 7th trip to Alaska. With the new baggage restrictions we decided to buy a set of Under Armour Cold Gear. It is very light weight and easy to pack. I got the idea from our fishing guide in Hoonah last year. It was 48 degrees in July that day and on the water I was really cold after leaving 94 degrees in Tennessee! I had on a t shirt, hooded sweatshirt, flannel shirt and lined jacket. I felt like a blob! Our guide had on Under Armour and a flannel shirt. So that is what we are going to take this year for our fishing trip. I've seen others say they take silk underwear which sounds like it would be easy to pack. I'm still going to layer up but it will be light weight layers instead of bulky sweatshirts to pack.

BTW, anybody know of gloves that DON'T inhibit you? I hate gloves cause they seem to get in the way if you know what I mean. Please advise

I'm not sure how easily your hands get cold, but if you just need a thin pair of gloves for a little warmth try a pair of baseball batting gloves. Will provide a little bit of warmth but still leave your hands able to easily manipulate a camera.

Or if you need a little more insulation try some workman's/carpenter's gloves.

Kristin

fieldmom35215; I'm glad you asked that question as I had not thought about the ease of operating my camera should gloves be needed on our Aug 22 trip out of SF. I am excited about taking pictures and as a motorcycle rider in Northern California I have some knowledge on the ole' gloves thing. Luckily we will not be going...ah... 65mph. All that said, and based upon what much more knowledgable cruisers and Alaskans have said, I will take an older , but waterproof pair, of riding gloves. Leather is a bad idea if the weather is wet, but a thin, lined pair may find it's way into the big bag. That's what I would suggest.

Wilsons Leather or another similar place in your area would be a great excuse to go shopping for your first bit of cruise stuff. You'll want to try them on. I like the outlet malls just for the shear variety of stores. If there is not one in your area try, try a motorcycle store! Stay away from branded products unless you want to walk around Ketchikan with a bike manufacturers logo or bright green stripes shining in the dark. Last resort on this type of thing is on line. Great deals and if you do your research you could save a few dollars.

Just a suggestion (It has worked for me 3 years in a row)

Everytime I go to Alaska I like to buy sweatshirts and jackets - they are sooooooooo cheap. So I leave all mine at home and buy one in the first port and so on.....

that way I am not having to pack one and then I can just wear it home :)

I do bring gloves and a scarf and sometimes a little cute hat. This May will be my 4th year in a row to Alaska and I wouldn't do it any other way)

Good luck!

Have fun!

Either I'm an enigma or I must be doing something wrong because THIS is the least packing I've ever done. Mainly because the kids are staying home, #2 - DH wants to pack for himself this time:D, and #3 - I'm siked about wind pants and jeans the whole time. I have my new Land's End 3-in-1, waterproof shoes (which I don't really like), and my silkies. The only thing I'm lacking is my passport, rumrunners, and gloves. Cool weather crusin is definitely easier for me. BTW, anybody know of gloves that DON'T inhibit you? I hate gloves cause they seem to get in the way if you know what I mean. Please advise

I got a pair of gloves at the beginning of the winter season (Isotoners) that are the 1/2 finger gloves and then has the mitten type part that covers over and I have lived in them all winter. I just LOVE them and am sorry I never got back there to get another pair. Now the problem is, I don't know whether you can find them anywhere now. Actually, I just looked at their website and here is a link:

http://www.totes-isotoner.com/product/isotoner/women/gloves/stretch+/isotoner+hybrid+convertible+fingerless+gloves.do?sortby=ourPicks

Of course they were 1/2 price when I bought them, but I do love them. They are very warm surprisingly enough, even without the over flap.

Just found this one too:

http://www.beltoutlet.com/wocofiglbyis.html

RoadPirate & Clarksonee,

Thanks for the helpful in. Pirate, I had not thought about leather. I get cold VERY easy being from the South. DH has purchased a pair of waterprood gloves from Land's End, but I don't know that I like them. They are bulky and I can't see using them with my camera. I know that I will need them when at glacier though. Again, thx

But as the cruise got closer, I just packed a real warm hoodie and a rain jacket with a hood. Then just some blue jeans and sweat shirts, not too many though. Some t-shirts and then the nice clothes for dinner. Oh I did pack a swim suite, but never wore it. Just layer your clothes depending on the weather for the day and you will be great....:D

ooo, I like these. Thanks!

Glad to be of some help. Like I said, I really love mine and since I found that discount site, I might just get myself another pair!! ;) Not sure if I will find them in stores next year.

Oh, and by the way, they work great with a camera. We live near Lake Michigan and went twice this winter to take pictures of the ice mountains and they were perfect!

Archived