Single Fare Dilemma

kri52

You know me well, sir. ;)

BTW, fabulous once a year intinerary.

That it is ... and I'll be paying through the nose for it, regardless of whether or not they cut the price any. It is an example of where one can still find HAL cruises that are more exotic, not the mass-market, bread and butter runs selling for bargain-basement prices. With all the harping about those low per diems, it is instructive to be reminded that there are alternatives on HAL, which reflect why I stick with the Line.

But, oh, does this kind of cruising impact the pocket book! :)

I hope the price drops a bit ... this year they cut it by a little over $2000.

Oh, if I could only find the self-control to book an inside or outside cabin! However, I totally spoil myself on vacations (hey, I'm worth every cent :D ) and only book verandah cabins -- overlooking the wake if at all possible. :cool: Therefore, I always pay a 200% single supplement. If someone hears of a cruiseline that charges less than 200% for a stern balcony, I'd really appreciate knowing about it.

I'm seriously looking at booking Seabourn's Odyssey since she will have balcony cabins. WOW - talk about a hefty price as a solo traveler.:eek:

Diane

Rev Neal, I agree with you on the pricing! I'm finding out that now is a reasonable time to solo cruise. The rates on alot of the cruiselines are below 150% (except for those balconies on the Alaskan cruise :(). I'm coming across 10 day cruises for under $1,000 outside on HAL and Princess. My dream is to go solo at 0%,but a girl can dream!!

DizzyDallasDi I had a balcony only once and loved it, esp at at night to head out,listen to the sound of the ocean and enjoy the night sky. But my budget is more outside and inside cabins.

If I had the extra time off at work, I could cruise the next few months cheaper than what I paid as a solo in 2004,2005,2006, and 2007

I don't know if any other single travellers have noticed, but Holland America over the past 3 months or so has changed its fare policy toward singles. The 150% single surcharge on inside and outside cabins is apparently a thing of the past. With few exceptions, they are now charging 200% or more on all cabins for singles. In a reply from the Mariner Society I was told HAL is basing this on the capacity of cabins...if they can hold 2 everyone should pay for 2 people...if a cabin can hold 3 or 4 people should be worth more than 200%. Both Princess and Celebrity apparently have this same policy. At a time when people are not cruising because of the economy and HAL and other lines are cut-rating prices to try to fill ships, it seems ill-advised to start pricing singles out of the market.

Forgive me if you already know what I'm about to say, but don't fixate on the single supplement rate.

It's true that HAL at times will offer a better sgl supp percentage than some of the other middle market cruise lines.

For example, I'm currently booked on Maasdam at 155% and for a "decent" price.

However, last year I booked a NE/Canada cruise on Sea Princess, a moderately sized ship.

I booked the highest category inside cabin at 200% for LESS $ than HAL's price at 150% sgl supp for their bottom category inside.

Both itineraries were identical, including the embarkation and disembarkation ports.

The truth is, as a solo cruiser I have to do a lot more research than when I was booking for two.

When shopping for the best price I sometime have to be willing to sail with a different cruise line.

That can be a good thing. After sailing primarily on HAL's S and R class ships, I booked a cruise on Grand Princess, a 108GRT ship.

To my complete amazement, I liked that ship very much, and am even more enamored with her larger sister ship Crown Princess.

Timing can be everything. I recently booked a British Isles cruise on Crown Princess at 155% for a very reasonable fare.

Now, less than two months later, that cruise has doubled in price and the sgl supp is 200%!!

If you see a cruise you like at a fair price, book it now!

The ports are my reason for sailing. The ship is a very secondary factor in the equation. If the ship is your primary consideration,

then you might have to pay a premium. And there's nothing wrong with that.:p

The Solo msg board has tons of ideas and experiences. If you haven't yet, spend some time there.

There actually are solos on that board who enjoy sailing on Carnival ships!!:o

Steve,

Don't knock it till you've tried it! I'm one of the people you're referring to who post over in the Solos forum. Yes, I sail both HAL and Carnival, and am open to other cruise lines if the price is right. I'll probably be sailing Carnival more often, because on top of offering solos a price break, I'm also eligible for the senior citizen discount (55 is a senior on Carnival).

Roz

That it is ... and I'll be paying through the nose for it, regardless of whether or not they cut the price any. It is an example of where one can still find HAL cruises that are more exotic, not the mass-market, bread and butter runs selling for bargain-basement prices. With all the harping about those low per diems, it is instructive to be reminded that there are alternatives on HAL, which reflect why I stick with the Line.

But, oh, does this kind of cruising impact the pocket book! :)

I hope the price drops a bit ... this year they cut it by a little over $2000.

The variation is one of the things I like best about HAL. You are booked on a very special, once a year intinerary, that will most likely will not need deep discounting to sell out. I have donated way too much to the stock market to be able to afford to this, for the foreseeable future.

That I can cruise vicariously with those who can do so, is one of life's little pleasures, for me.

How unfortunate that the OP acquired the perception that solos must now pay a full 100% single suppliment.

Perhaps this was true on the specific cruise he/she was considering but there is absolutely nothing that suggests this is the case across the board.

I am aware however, that some of the cruise lines are imposing 100% suppliments on cruises that are incredibly discounted, regardless of cabin class. Otherwise, a solo might be cruising for $25-35 per day.

I am aware however, that some of the cruise lines are imposing 100% suppliments on cruises that are incredibly discounted, regardless of cabin class. Otherwise, a solo might be cruising for $25-35 per day.

Meaning a couple can cruise for $25 -35 per day per person, but if it were a solo cruiser it makes sense that they would pay double?

I understand that the cruiseline would lose out on additional revenues from that empty berth, but if the cruiseline is discounting their fares that much then it would appear they are having difficulty filling their ships and that they should be happy to have even singles onboard producing extra revenue rather than an empty cabin.

Rochelle

Hi Everybody,

I've found pretty good pricing on cruises for solos (inside and outside cabins) in recent months. My experience has showed me I need to be flexible about everything--cruiseline, cabins, dates, itinerary.

For this next cruise I've found my best deal--7 nights NY-Canada on Carnival on 9-12 for $700 (porthole cabin). I am really excited about visiting with my dad and friends in NY and then going on this cruise from a port in Manhattan.

At first I was looking at cruises in May/June but didn't find any good deals. Once I expanded my search to September, this cruise jumped out at me. Mostly I don't pay much attention to the ss--I figure the most important total to me is the cost of the cruise.

Faith

Steve,

Don't knock it till you've tried it! I'm one of the people you're referring to who post over in the Solos forum. Yes, I sail both HAL and Carnival, and am open to other cruise lines if the price is right. I'll probably be sailing Carnival more often, because on top of offering solos a price break, I'm also eligible for the senior citizen discount (55 is a senior on Carnival).

Roz

It was a joke, Roz. :p

Carnival sails W. Carib cruises out of Galveston. That's my favorite Caribbean itinerary and virtually out of my back yard.

I often check their prices looking for something bookable. Unfortunately, the fares are so high it's cheaper to fly to Florida and sail w/Princess.

I don't know if any other single travellers have noticed, but Holland America over the past 3 months or so has changed its fare policy toward singles. The 150% single surcharge on inside and outside cabins is apparently a thing of the past. With few exceptions, they are now charging 200% or more on all cabins for singles. In a reply from the Mariner Society I was told HAL is basing this on the capacity of cabins...if they can hold 2 everyone should pay for 2 people...if a cabin can hold 3 or 4 people should be worth more than 200%. Both Princess and Celebrity apparently have this same policy. At a time when people are not cruising because of the economy and HAL and other lines are cut-rating prices to try to fill ships, it seems ill-advised to start pricing singles out of the market.

The single supplement varies depending on the ship and category type. The below might vary depending on the promotion, I have seen instances where the single supplement was higher than the below.

Non Vista

Suites: 200%

Balconies: 200%

Ocean view: 150%

Inside: 150%

Vista and Signature

Suites: 200%

Balconies: 190%

Ocean view: 150%

Inside: 150%

Cruise tours

150% regardless of cat

Unless things have radically changed, you're mistaken.
Maybe that was a rule of the writer's conference then ... but I was told that the reason for the rule was in the event one of you had to cancel. Then the other would still be able to sail in the cabin without penalty. If I recall, the single supplement for this writer's conference was NOT reduced to normal HAL levels. It was 200% because of the special nature of the program.

But I don't think you needed the platinum insurance ... just the basic one that covers only cancellation -- no medical.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Meaning a couple can cruise for $25 -35 per day per person, but if it were a solo cruiser it makes sense that they would pay double?

This rankles me too. True, I should pay something additional if I want a cabin as a solo. I full well understand that. But double? I'm not eating twice as much food, using twice as many amenities, etc. So why should I be expected to pay double? Yet most cruise lines will charge me double saying that it cost just as much for a single to sail as a couple ... and I find this to be wrong.

If the cruise line feels that cabin capacity is going to waste when a single sails in the cabin, then my question would be ... why not have a few single cabins onboard the ship? Literally take a large cabin and chop it in half and make it two cabins. Put in a very "compact" bathroom, and enough room in the cabin for a single bed, small dresser, "mini" closet area, etc. In other words, the single cabin gets half the amenities that the double cabin would ... at half the price.

Never understood why most cruise lines ... especially the ones building all these giant new ships ... never thought to do this. HAL could do something along these lines with a couple of their cabins and then just discontinue the "guaranteed share" program altogether. I'm sure that program is the source of many headaches for them anyway. And think how nice the single cabins would be for families who maybe didn't want to be too crowded with the kids in the main cabin, yet couldn't afford to get a second full cabin for them? Mom and dad could get a cheapie single cabin in addition to the main cabin, one that is hopefully located right nearby their main cabin, and then put the teenager in there ... while letting everybody else spread out a bit in the main cabin.

With designated single cabins at least people would have a choice. Find their own share if they really want a full size cabin, or pay the 200% charge, or simply take one of these single cabins.

Seems like a win-win situation to me and I doubt HAL would have any problem at all filling these cabins.

Blue skies ...

--rita

In RevNeal's reply he compares double occupancy with single. I have been looking at the official HAL site but nowhere can I find rates for single occupancy. The only thing I find is inside cabin - fares from USD....

HAL is having a 24 day cruise leaving Rotterdam, the Netherlands and returning to this port as well. Since I live in the Netherlands, for once I can do without travel expenses! :D

Sounds great, but being single I would like to know the fare before booking. Thanks for your help.

Ineke

In RevNeal's reply he compares double occupancy with single. I have been looking at the official HAL site but nowhere can I find rates for single occupancy. The only thing I find is inside cabin - fares from USD....

Log onto the site, find the cruise you like and then click on proceed to booking. When the next page comes up it will ask how many passengers, but in one and you will get the solo price for every cabin on the ship.

I'm seriously looking at booking Seabourn's Odyssey since she will have balcony cabins. WOW - talk about a hefty price as a solo traveler.:eek:

You'd be surprised. Some of the luxury lines actually have very, very low single supplements. If you routinely book balconies on HAL, you very well might do better on Seaborne, or at least no worse when you figure in the fact that a lot of things you'll pay extra for on HAL will be included in your cruise fare on Seaborne. I've heard that on some of the luxury lines people go home with a zero, that is zilch, or nada, onboard bill. Certainly not so on HAL.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Trust me, if they want to fill those cabins, they won't turn down a solo cruiser by discouraging them with a 200% single supplement.

It's all a matter of supply and demand with single supplements and that's why they vary. I'd be willing to bet that even on HAL if I wanted to sail over Christmas/New Years, I might very well pay a 200% single supplement, even for an inside cabin. Why? Because the cruise line can charge it, that's why. No other reason. And, if I don't like it and decline to take the cabin at that rate, there are 100 other people lined up behind me that will more than happily take my place.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Steve,

Roz

Carnival has some amazing single supplements and for a Caribbean cruise I would sail them in a minute if the price was right. After all, sometimes one is just looking for a "filler" cruise on the cheap and hey, that Carnival ship will get you out on the ocean just as quickly as the HAL one will. True, I would miss the HAL touches, but occasionally one just needs a cruise and doesn't have a lot of extra money to spend.

I remember a couple of summers back. I was already booked for a couple of cruises, but they were a ways off. I just really felt like crusing now! I checked a popular website to see what cruises were going out of Philly (no money for airfare either) and found a really great deal on a five-day NCL cruise to Bermuda. I mean this cruise was cheap. I called my TA and found out that NCL wants a 200% single supplement even on the lowest category inside cabin. Well, now my cheapie cruise wasn't so cheap any more and I declined to book it.

I'd be willing to bet that boat didn't sail at full capacity either.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

That's exactly what I did in January - took a 5-day filler cruise on the Fascination out of JAXport.

I took a 12-day Cruise Critic group cruise on the Carnival Spirit to Hawaii back in 2007. Before I booked I did a price-per-day comparison between sailing to Hawaii as a solo on HAL and on Carnival. HAL's price was double Carnival's. I like HAL, but excuse me, it's not twice as good, especially on a longer cruise where the demographic mimics HAL.

Roz

Archived