Fuel charge

Pasty

I know this is a very boring subject, but, I have just had a reminder from my TA that our balance for our 12th July cruise on Jade is due in 14 days. However, the fuel supplement of £77 was still included.... does anyone know if this is right? I thought this supplement had been dropped and calculated on the price of oil at the time of payment. This £77 was the same amount as quoted before the charge was dropped. Any help would be welcome before I send my cheque! :)

Trish

Most of us received on board credit for the amount we'd paid in fuel surcharges. A few people's fuel surcharge was dropped before final payment. I do not, however, know if it depended on whether you booked directly with NCL or a travel agency as to which method was used. Ours about covered our gratuities since the gratuity rate went up from $10 to $12 a day Jan 1st and the fuel surcharge was $11 per day per person.

You shouldn't be paying the surcharge...it should be taken off your final paymenet amount. Here's the direct quote copied from NCL's website:

"NCL's current fuel supplement will no longer apply to bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009. NCL will refund the fuel supplement in the form of an on-board credit for all 2009 bookings within the final payment period. All existing 2009 bookings outside of the final payment period will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and NCL will revise the final payment amount."

CG

I am sailing on 28th June and booked through ncl.com not an agent in UK or USA. When they dropped the surcharge I was issued a new invoice showing the new total payable.

I think your agent will have booked through ncl UK and should have had either a new invoice already which they have forgotten about or your agent needs to get a new invoice issued by NCL UK.

I also note that although sailing before you my final payment is not due until 14th april!

Jean (UK Cruiser)

We're booked on the Majesty's 08/09/09 sailing to Bermuda and final payment is due sometime near the end of May.

I recall reading somewhere that NCL reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge if final payment has not been made and the price of crude exceeds a certain amount (I think $63/barrel).

Can anyone confirm my aging memory on this?

Crude prices have been increasing lately (today $51+/barrel) so I may have to start considering the making of an early final payment to avoid the surcharge.

John

We're booked on the Majesty's 08/09/09 sailing to Bermuda and final payment is due sometime near the end of May.

I recall reading somewhere that NCL reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge if final payment has not been made and the price of crude exceeds a certain amount (I think $63/barrel).

Can anyone confirm my aging memory on this?

Crude prices have been increasing lately (today $51+/barrel) so I may have to start considering the making of an early final payment to avoid the surcharge.

John

Your memory is fine and IF they do re impliment the charge paying early will not make any difference they will just add it on, that is how it works. I know a lot of people don't think that is right but that is how it is. Same thing with increases in Taxes and that sort of thing.

Thanks Arwenmark.

But, if you're paid in full prior to the imposition of the fuel charge, how will they relieve you of the additional money? Refuse boarding till you pay?

Also, if they increase the overall price after final payment, "fairness" would demand that they also give you the option for a full refund on cancellation.

Do you remember where this is all written by NCL?

Thanks,

John

Thanks Arwenmark.

But, if you're paid in full prior to the imposition of the fuel charge, how will they relieve you of the additional money? Refuse boarding till you pay?

Also, if they increase the overall price after final payment, "fairness" would demand that they also give you the option for a full refund on cancellation.

Do you remember where this is all written by NCL?

Thanks,

John

This is from the Faqs section:

What is the Fuel Supplement?

You probably know how much fuel prices have fluctuated in recent years. Because of this price volatility, NCL currently charges a Fuel Supplement of $11.00 for the first two guests per stateroom and $5.00 for each additional guest per cruise day in the same stateroom for all cruises departing in 2008.

NCL's current fuel supplement will no longer apply to bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009. NCL will refund the fuel supplement in the form of an on-board credit for all 2009 bookings within the final payment period. All existing 2009 bookings outside of the final payment period will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and NCL will revise the final payment amount.

The company is implementing these changes in response to the recent decrease in global fuel prices. NCL will continue to closely monitor global fuel prices and reserves the right to reinstate the fuel supplement for all guests should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $65 per barrel.

I bolded the all guests part.

As for collecting and denying boarding, This is my take on it, It would likely be put back on before you sailed and in that case unless they had already released your edocs you would have an outstanding bill which would have to be paid before you GOT your edocs. If it was actually after that then it would be do at check in or added to your on board account.

Just a quick response to those who are doing the Harrah's corp free cruises. I was on the Gem 3-7 and expected to get my fuel supplement back in the form of an on-board credit. I found out that NCL returned mine and others to Harrahs Travel agency back in Dec. Since we paid for this portion of the fuel supplement, you will now have to get in touch with Harrahs.

Archived