what was your favorite NCL cruise and why

karen327

Our favorite cruise was, like several have already said, our first cruise, on the old Norweign Sea, out of NY to Canada. Overall, it was an older ship, but it was our first cruise, and the people we were with, it just harbors such great memories, without a doubt, it was our favorite.

If I had to pick a non NCL cruise, we did Princess to Alaska, land and sea, and for overall experience, that was the best. I just loved Alaska, and we are booked to retuen next year again, this time on NCL though.

This one is easy for me. 1999 on the Norway. I grew up in the beginning of the Rock and Roll era so naturally I became an Elvis fan. NCL had an ELvis cruise and at first I was hesitant to go. I didn't know what to expect. But then they announced the lineup and I knew I had to do it. All his backup musicians and singers where there that I had seen many times in his shows. Plus Sam Phillips, the founder of Sun records, where Elvis and my other favorite singer, Roy Orbison, sang. Spent a whole week with those people and I thought I was in Heaven. On top of that I was reading a book about a famous law case in New England and the two people that we shared our table with were instructors at a Law School in New England. So I would read a few chapters and since they were very familiar with the case we would discuss those chapters over dinner and during the Elvis shows at night. Great ship, great entertainment and mind boggling talk. I will never top that cruise. But I'll keep trying.

Terry, how aptly put! It was the same way for Chris and myself for most of that cruise. It was the most majestic place I've ever been in my life. My sis and I had lunch the other day and she said her husband is fed up with European cruises but he would really enjoy another cruise to Alaska. It got me thinkin'!:D

Although we have booked the last sail on the Majesty in October to Bermuda, and plan to book the Venice/Greece for 2010 next week. There is always 2011 (Lord willin, as my grandma used to say). The dates for the 9 day CC cruise aren't working for Chris and me right now.

Maybe we will all end up on the same Alaskan cruise for 2011. That would be very cool.

All of them are favorites for different reasons. Let's see if I can do this from memory...

Leeward: My first NCL cruise. They had me at hello and kept me at their limbo contest.

Sea: big group meals with students, planning the next day

adventures, seeing everything through their eyes, getting fake tattoos with them in Key West, lounging around the pool.

Majesty: Making a video for school, first private bridge tour

Wind: Alaska Alaska Alaska! Salmon fishing...glacier treks, flying an airplane, rediscovering my faith

Sea: Weekend getaway, fell in love with private island

Wind: Met little Darren Flowers in Roatan, best poolside barbecues, flooded cabin, last cruise for hubby

Sun: My first balcony, oh yeah, freestyling is for me, the old Carlos and Charlies, meeting the mafia-don family from England, my first fire-shot-in-the-mouth

Majesty: Jumping in on a Bahamian parade with my sister...pretending we were part of it for 5 blocks...wearing winter jackets around the pool because we were freezing due to unusual cold snap

Sun: Met cruisecritic OceanDreams and she has been one of my best friends ever since...A return to Roatan.

Sky: My first New Years Eve sailing...the "no eggs for you!" from the grumpy omelet lady...crying on a guy who looked like my recently deceased father during a dance to Patsy Cline's "Crazy," which was my dad's favorite song

Sun: Return to Roatan...with lots of orphanage supplies...and I left with a promise...meeting mafia-don Venezuelan family

Norway: I finally sailed a classic which oozed the good-old-days-of-cruising...I finally discovered cosmopolitans...they tasted just as good coming up as they did going down

Sun: Met another best friend the New Yorker on a return to Roatan

Sun: My first bow penthouse...my first hurricane cruise...WILMA!...met up with long lost cousins, the NewYorker and OceanDream's friends/family.

Spirit: Welcome to Platinum Latitudes...beautiful ship...my first Blue Lagoon chicken wings...a wild and crazy ship ride return to NYC!

Jewel: I was treated like a goddess

Dawn: My first 2 day cruise to nowhere...said never again

Gem: A 2 day cruise to nowhere...A once in a lifetime experience for her christening...meeting the Miami Corporate Office Execs/Apollo guys, and meeting staff from cruise critic.

Pearl: My being a loser is a lot fun cruise! They said I could be her godmother...

Dream: A 2 day to cruise to nowhere...My favorite worst cruise! One of the best cruise critic parties ever...lasted two hours...one of the worst overall passenger behavior ever witnessed for two days to nowhere...felt so bad for the crew...

Majesty: Turning into an elder-it...finally knowing the secret to the Majesty...her crew and Bermuda!

Gem: A return for the ship experience...fixing the mermaid's arrangement...dancing in Bliss with blissters every night...dancing in the wind on deck 13 under the stars 12:05am on January 1, 2009.

Pearl: My hangover cruise from my Gem cruise...my first stern handicapped mini-suite...traveling with family...being treated like family...will always and forever be a Pearl-Girl.

Dawn: ??? Will see soon what you all love about her!

Free cruise? Already had it on Gem christening.

Dream cruise? The Pearl two week Panama Canal where I am an NCL-U presenter.

coka

Coka....you are so right. They are all favorites for one reason or another. Every cruise I take is special for a different reason. Even the same ship on the same route 3 different times and each time was very special in its own way. Be it romantic, family get away, trip with my sisters, trip with mom, grandkids etc.

That's why I think cruisiing is the best vacation. It is what you make it!!!

Mikaula, that is so true. It was fun to do it from memory and spontaneous...sort of like the ink blots...what is the first that comes to mind when you see or think of...

coka

Dream: A 2 day to cruise to nowhere...My favorite worst cruise! One of the best cruise critic parties ever...lasted two hours...one of the worst overall passenger behavior ever witnessed for two days to nowhere...felt so bad for the crew...

That was a great Meet & Greet, Coka. How about when they ran out of beer early the second night. I saw a lot of angry faces like you did. I thought New York crowds were tough.

All my cruises have been wonderful too. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be our Alaskan cruise on the Sun in 2004. I was brand new to cruising (first one was on the NCL Sea early that year), and we decided to take our 2 kids for my DD's high school graduation. I think part of the reason that it's my favorite is that it was their first cruise -- and I was able to see them fall in love with it too.

It also helped that, about 3 weeks before sailing, we were able to "upgrade" from an inside cabin to a balcony for a grand total of $80. Even though we didn't spend much time on the balcony, it was nice to have the extra room and to be able to sit in front of the balcony doors and enjoy the beautiful Alaskan scenery.

I came back from the Sea really enjoying my experience (much to my great amazement), but it was the Sun that really got us all hooked.

Our favorite? Last year on the Sun. 19 day repo from Miami to Vancouver, thru the Panama Canal, in the aft AC suite. Went to a lot of unique ports. We got friendly with the concierge and she arranged for us to a) dine at the captains table; b) tour the bridge; c) tour the engine room. Plus we met some great people via the roll call.

We're going next month on another repo, from New York to Barcelona on the Gem in another aft suite. Can't wait to do it again...

Having lived three years in Vicenza, Italy, I can't wait for an Adriatic cruise as well from Venice. I will also spend some time in Vicenza either pre cruise or post cruise. It will be like returning to one of my homes. Currently I am saving up, but wouldn't mind winning a free cruise.

Vicenza, Italy! 60 km west of Venice, 200 km east of Milan, and army post is there. Are you an army man? Chris loves the military discount NCL has. We are hoping to book the April 24th, 2010 cruise RT Venice to Greek Islands while we are on the Spirit next week. Wish us luck. The price isn't all that expensive if you'd care to come along!:)

I now have a new favorite. We reserved a cabin on POA for Hawaii that departs on my birthday, August 13th:p in 2011!

Thanks to CC posts here it got me interested. While I was looking August 2011 "magically" appeared.:)

We have cruised so many times and each holds something special, but 3 stand out:

Favorite:;; The Jewel when she made her first crossing from Dover to NYC> the ship was beautiful, the itinerary by far the best we have ever experienced, fun crew members and a wonderful CC group.

Second: would be for the ship: the Sun, this is our favorite NCL ship of all times. I have cruised on her twice, both times with my oldest daughter, both times happen to be by birthday and both times we had a wondeful time..I am looking forward to her sailing out of Port Canaveral..

third: The Sea when she was still the Seaward: why? It was our first NCL cruise, it was the first time we had been on a ship that held more than about 1200 passengers, our first time sailing out of San Juan and our two granddaughter first cruise...Everything was perfect including our wonderful server, assistant server and the Matre D who danced with our youngest granddaughter who was about 10 at the time...

Nita

This question is for seasoned cruisers, especially with NCL. What is your favorite cruise you have ever taken? Why did you like this one so much?
I have been on twelve cruises. My two favorites are:

Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - May 2004

NCL Jade - Panama Canal - February 2007

The Pride cruise was very enjoyable and I was with family. We had a great time.

The Jade cruise was solo. I was in a forward facing balcony (suite) and spent the entire time going through the canal on my balcony. It was one of my dream cruises and I did it the way I wanted to - in a forward facing balcony.

My favorite so far was our 15 night Westbound Transatlantic on the Jewel. We boarded in Barcelona, visited Nice, Florence, Rome, Adjaccio, Palma Majorica, Gibralter, and Funchal. After all those ports we had 6 days at sea to recover before arriving in Miami. It is one of my only vacations that I did not feel like I needed more time off to recover from vacation! Can't wait to do another Westbound Transatlantic!

We have loved all our cruises. To just pick one I would say our Panama Canal cruise Sept 21, 2008

Why:

19 days on the NCL Pearl, the staff and crew

were just great.

Freestyle cruising.

Ports we never been to.

The Panama Canal, history and the beauty.

Your free cruise question: It would be on a NCL ship I have not been on and someplace I have not been to.

third: The Sea when she was still the Seaward: why? It was our first NCL cruise, it was the first time we had been on a ship that held more than about 1200 passengers, our first time sailing out of San Juan and our two granddaughter first cruise...Everything was perfect including our wonderful server, assistant server and the Matre D who danced with our youngest granddaughter who was about 10 at the time...

Nita

I used to like the Sea/Seaward too. For some reason the pool area seemed very comfortable to us. Nice size ship. We sailed several times on her and we miss her.

I guess our favorite cruise would be the Eastern Caribbean on the Dawn out of NYC. We had done this cruise in early December and ended up booking the same cruise for the next year. The upsale fairly visited us about a month before the cruise with an upsell to the AB penthouse! It was fantastic!!!! Because we had done the cruise the year before we really enjoyed out time in the penthouse and on the balcony. We also had a great CC group. It was truly a special time.

My very first cruise to Bermuda on the Majesty during May 2008. The service was excellent, the food outstanding and the cabin neat and clean. Entertainers were great and could be seen daily walking on deck 7. St. Georges is a lovely port, and within walking distance of shops, bus stops and dining. The tours are personal, the guides are long time residents, and the weather is fabulous. Where else can you log on to the internet for free at the post office?:D

I don't think I can pick a favorite cruise but favrorite moments and experiences.

The Crown to Bermuda. The cute little boy welcoming us to his Bermuda as we walked up the hill in St. Georges. The waiter who was missing his own children and brought our son and nephew sundaes every night just because he was so nice.

The Norway! I loved every inch of that grand old lady. The afternoon tea and quartet was so enjoyable. We love to sit at the pool but this was so nice that we dressed each afternoon and sat inside to enjoy.

The B2B on the Sun last year. Vancouver - Alaska - San Fran - Mexican Riviera. Alaska was amazing and we will return. I sure hope we can cruise for 18 days again some time though.

One memory that sticks was on a small ship(Regal Empress) that we took to Canada/New England. We cruised through the Cape Cod Canal and people were out walking and camping and everone was waving. Crystal clear day and very calm waters. Later in the afternoon we saw dolphins, too.

I could go on and on but these thoughts popped up first.

I guess our favorite cruise would be the Eastern Caribbean on the Dawn out of NYC. We had done this cruise in early December and ended up booking the same cruise for the next year. The upsale fairly visited us about a month before the cruise with an upsell to the AB penthouse! It was fantastic!!!! Because we had done the cruise the year before we really enjoyed out time in the penthouse and on the balcony. We also had a great CC group. It was truly a special time.

Those AB rooms are my favorites.

This question is for seasoned cruisers, especially with NCL. What is your favorite cruise you have ever taken? Why did you like this one so much?

Q: My favorite NCL cruise?

A: Both of them!

The first made such a terrific impression on us that we wanted to do a second. The only blip we encountered was trying to get the hang of freestyle dining. The itinerary had us off the ship during the daytime hours so we didn't get familiar with NCL activities, etc. and in the evenings, it was dining and the theater performances.

The second cruise we got more into the swing of freestyle dining, and had time on sea days and the day we came back from port early to explore the happenings and areas of the ship. Again, we had such a good time that we decided we'd go on another NCL cruise.

On both of them - We absolutely loved the itineraries, the crews, and the ships (inside and out).

My favorite cruises of all time, though, are my first-ever (in 2002) because it was the first and because it was my grandmother's first and only cruise. And the second was in the fall of 2008. It seemed truly magical.

Just out of curiosity, if you won a contest and could go on any cruise that NCL offered, what would you chose? Also, if you could pick an itenery that NCL doesn't offer but another company does, what would that be if different?

Q: If you won a contest and could go on any, which would you pick?

A: Europe. Either Baltic Capitals or Mediterranian.

Q: If you could pick an itinerary that NCL doesn't have but another line does, what would that be if different?

A: One that goes to St. Croix, or Grenada, or the ABC islands. NCL may hit one or more of those islands, I haven't looked lately. But I know Disney is going to St. Croix and Royal Caribbean is going to St. Croix and Grenada.

....i, like many, cannot limit to only 1 as each cruise was special. but the one that had a huge impact on my love for NCL was my family cruise in 2002 on the Sun - Western Caribbean. the highlight of this cruise was the excursion that took 12 people from belize city to guatemala for a 9hr excursion to Tikal. a total of 3 miles hiking in the jungle to see all the temples left behind by the ancient people.

this proved to me the value of booking an NCL excursion. we were late by an hour. so the last speed tender from belize city to the ship...zipped us all back while people were looking overboard for this one group holding everyone up.

it was AMAZING!

:cool:WOW!:cool:

Now I'm going to be looking to see if any cruiselines currently have Tikal excursions. :)

Archived