Which cruise line to Alaska?

Peace2U

Princess and HAL have been in Alaska the longest. They certainly have significant land infrastructure to support pre and post tours. They also have had the longest relationships with their onboard naturalists and have the most permits for certain restricted fjords, particularly Glacier Bay. You will have a good experience on any of the lines you quoted. Itinerary and price are obviously key criteria as well.

It depends. Are you looking for a one-way or a roundtrip? Yes, HAL and Princess have been in Alaska the longest, but the roundtrip itineraries on Princess are weak compared to most other lines.

It depends. Are you looking for a one-way or a roundtrip? Yes, HAL and Princess have been in Alaska the longest, but the roundtrip itineraries on Princess are weak compared to most other lines.

Yes, we need round trip from Seattle. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

You FIRST need to do your homework. Decide on route, then figure out what ports hold the most interest to you, glacier choices?? THEN find the ship. :)

Hmm, never thought about that one. I'll get on that.

I am no Alaska expert, only cruised there once, but we had a thoroughly enjoyable cruise with Princess last summer. Round trip from Seattle on the Star. Many will say that this is not the best itinerary, but we enjoyed the ship and the cruise. Princess has a covered pool, so you can swim if you desire, afternoon tea everyday, and all the ammenities of your average cruiseline. I like RCI also. Most here will recommend that you decide on an itinerary first and then find a ship that fits you, this is good advice, I had to find a cruise that fit my Sunday to Sunday schedule, so I was kind of stuck. Buy some guide books about cruising Alaska, and ask questions here, you will find the answers. Good luck!

You FIRST need to do your homework. Decide on route, then figure out what ports hold the most interest to you, glacier choices?? THEN find the ship. :)

Hi BQ,

Which glacier is the best? Some ships go to Hubbard Glacier, some go to Tracy Arms and some go to Glacier Bay National Park.

If we go, we're going R/T from either San Fran or Seattle. We're planning to go there on summer of 2010. I think they all go to pretty much the same ports ie Ketchikum, Juneau, Skagway etc.

Thanks

Hi BQ,

Which glacier is the best? Some ships go to Hubbard Glacier, some go to Tracy Arms and some go to Glacier Bay National Park.

If we go, we're going R/T from either San Fran or Seattle. We're planning to go there on summer of 2010. I think they all go to pretty much the same ports ie Ketchikum, Juneau, Skagway etc.

Thanks

All glaciers certainly offer you something. :) But with a glacier priority, then look at Glacier Bay and Hubbard, first. The Sawyers in Tracy Arm, are likely NOT going to be viewable with most cruiseships and early early season with any of them. IF going NCL, then it is "necessary" to book their add on Tracy Arm jet boat tour.

There are only 6 Alaska ports ships go to, with your list, the most visited. I suggest, you might want to find out what each- and very different ports, offers, and what is your priority for your Alaska visit. :)

We have only cruised the Inside Passage once before but the highlights of our trip were Sitka for the history and Tracy Arm for the scenery.

We are going again in September on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner because it goes to both these places.

It is very good advice to decide what you want to see and then decide on which cruise to take.

Good luck. Tough decision.

Without defining your selection parameters, interests, financial abilty, age, available time for the trip - your question is just an extremely dumb question.

However, if you want my answer, any ship that has a passenger capacity of less than 100 will provide you with a best Alaska experience. However, I am also smart enough to recognize that this might not be what most people would want.

Would you go on a car board and ask "what is the best car?"

Your question is the equivalent.

DON

Without defining your selection parameters, interests, financial abilty, age, available time for the trip - your question is just an extremely dumb question.

However, if you want my answer, any ship that has a passenger capacity of less than 100 will provide you with a best Alaska experience. However, I am also smart enough to recognize that this might not be what most people would want.

DON

To paraphrase your response to the OP, all I can say is Don, your reply to the OP was extremely rude.

Some, especially first-timers (myself included), are looking for direction....for starting points from which to obtain information. We're relying on the experiences and knowledge of folks who have "been there, done that." We're not asking for advice only to be dumped upon. Civil discourse is always appreciated.

Yours was not.

To paraphrase your response to the OP, all I can say is Don, your reply to the OP was extremely rude.

Some, especially first-timers (myself included), are looking for direction....for starting points from which to obtain information. We're relying on the experiences and knowledge of folks who have "been there, done that." We're not asking for advice only to be dumped upon. Civil discourse is always appreciated.

Yours was not.

WOW! I hadn't noticed that individual's posting until you pointed it out. What a jerk! :mad:

DON

That was uncalled for. :mad: To everyone else, thanks for the info!

We must consider how many nice people there on these boards and try to ignore the few who are NOT!

We have been to Alaska with Celebrity, HAL and twice with Princess but we are booked for May with HAL. They have spoiled us and we enjoy their smaller ships.

You probably can not miss with any of these so go and enjoy!! Also, do not hesitate to ask questions and we will answer. The information you gain on Cruise Critic can make your journey twice as meaningful! ;)

I've done one-ways on the Coral Princess and HAL Veendam out of Vancouver. In May I'm doing a roundtrip from Seattle on the Golden Princess. I'm looking forward to cruising Tracy Arm for the first time, although it wouldn't be my first choice for a first Alaska cruise.

I think the best itineraries out of Seattle are on HAL (Amsterdam, Zaandam, or Westerdam) going to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier - or the 14-night Pacific Princess going to Glacier Bay.

DON

There are never any dumb questions on these boards.

DON

Yeah, I'd probably go on a car board and ask "what is the best car".

Knowledge is power.

Archived