cancelling without insurance

shadowlover

Has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise and did not have insurance? Do you definitely lose your money? Can you book another cruise with the credit?

If you cancel after final payment, without insurance or for a non-insurance covered reason (some insurances), you will find you will have to pay a penatly. They will not credit you for another cruise later on after final payment date without insurance. Yes, you will loose your money, all depends on the date before you cruise as to how much though.

We just had this happen with family members. They purchased insurance thru insuremytrip.com (that didn't have cancel for any reason). They most definitely lost 1/2 the cost of their cruise because they cancelled within 45 days of the sailing. They begged and pleaded but was not able to get any credit for a later cruise. Princess would not budge. Funny thing is that based on past experience, had it been with Carnival they most likely would have been able to apply it to a later cruise. And Carnival owns Princess.

We almost had to cancel a cruise with only I think 16 days before sailing due to business reasons.We had told princess of the possibility to get cancellation details. We were going with a group of friends so we decided I'd go by myself since we had already paid for the cabin and my fare would have totaled the penalty. Then my husband was able to go so we did not cancel but since we told Princess previously that their might be a problem we got a call about a week before offering to move us to another date.

We foolishly did not have insurance for a cruise in Nov. of '08. We were trying to get it but there were problems with the online TA sending the link....never purchased it and a little over two months before the cruise my dear husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I cancelled. I lost my $500 deposit but the remainder of the money was returned. My daughter was getting married in October and cancelled her honeymoon cruise and Princess refunded her fares in full. I probably could have fought for the $500 back but to be honest was so devastated did not have the energy.

I am taking my mom on a cruise in a couple of months and was sure to have insurance for this cruise.

... had it been with Carnival they most likely would have been able to apply it to a later cruise. And Carnival owns Princess.
Carnival Cruise Lines owns Princess Cruises and Carnival Cruises (along with Holland America and others.) The policies of each cruise line are set by their respective companies, and differ in many ways.

We just had this happen with family members. They purchased insurance thru insuremytrip.com (that didn't have cancel for any reason). They most definitely lost 1/2 the cost of their cruise because they cancelled within 45 days of the sailing. They begged and pleaded but was not able to get any credit for a later cruise. Princess would not budge. Funny thing is that based on past experience, had it been with Carnival they most likely would have been able to apply it to a later cruise. And Carnival owns Princess.
The cancellation penalty is clearly defined so I'm not sure why (other than devastating circumstances) one would expect, or even ask, the cruiseline for their money back other than what is outlined in both documents you receive and on the website. That's what insurance is for. If the cruiseline refunded money or gave credit for a future cruise, then why buy insurance? It would certainly make a mockery of the cancellation policy. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry your family members got only 1/2 their money back but it's not the cruiseline's fault that they bought insurance that didn't cover their trip.

Archived