I've read about Princess's policy re: British cruisers, but what about...

lsane2

people who live in other countries? DH's niece and her husband are trying to come to the US from Iran for a visit. They don't have their visas yet, and DH is wanting me to book them on our Alaska cruisetour this summer. They would need both a US and a Canadian visa, since we're ending up in Vancouver.

I told him there wouldn't be a penalty for canceling until after the pay in full date, which would be around the beginning of May for us. But then I thought about the British and I was wondering if the same policy applies to other nationalities as well, regarding the steep penalties for cancellation.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

people who live in other countries? DH's niece and her husband are trying to come to the US from Iran for a visit. They don't have their visas yet, and DH is wanting me to book them on our Alaska cruisetour this summer. They would need both a US and a Canadian visa, since we're ending up in Vancouver.

I told him there wouldn't be a penalty for canceling until after the pay in full date, which would be around the beginning of May for us. But then I thought about the British and I was wondering if the same policy applies to other nationalities as well, regarding the steep penalties for cancellation.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

What British policy are you refering to? :confused:

What British policy are you refering to? :confused:
If Brits book through a British travel agency or through Princess offices in the UK, their deposit isn't refunded. I don't think that's the case here so the OP is probably OK.

Probably the practice that anyone booking a cruise in the UK will lose their entire deposit if they cancel, regardless of when they cancel.

The OP's best bet is to book their relatives' cruise themselves, and essentially function as the agent for their relatives. That's just a guess on my part.

Probably the practice that anyone booking a cruise in the UK will lose their entire deposit if they cancel, regardless of when they cancel.

The OP's best bet is to book their relatives' cruise themselves, and essentially function as the agent for their relatives. That's just a guess on my part.

That's what I was thinking of doing -- just booking them online from here. But I assume I would have to put their home address on the booking for security purposes, and if we have to cancel them if they don't get their visas, I didn't want to be out the deposit or worse.

Would it work if you just used your home address for them? After all, that's where you'd want the pre-cruise documents to be sent to, right? Use your address and make sure they have the appropriate Visas. When giving their information for booking to the TA, make sure you give their nationality to the TA.

We live in the UK and have just returned from the Emerald Princess. My sister who lives in the States booked the cruise for us through her TA (she also accompanied us). She booked it using her address and we changed the information on the cruise personaliser after the final payment had been made before printing off the boarding cards. We had no problems whatsoever, and she dealt with Princess for both of the bookings.

sorry, can we stop referring to the British as Brits! its as offensive as referring to US citizens as yanks!

for info UK cancellation policy (through UK TA) is:

from date of booking to 57 days prior to cruise: deposit (can be as much as $1000+)

56 to 42days: 45%

41 to 16days: 75%

15 to 6 days: 90%

<6 days : 100%

sorry, can we stop referring to the British as Brits! its as offensive as referring to US citizens as yanks!

from date of booking to 57 days prior to cruise: deposit (can be as much as $1000+)

I don't see much difference between British and American cancellation policies.

I copied the below from Princess.com

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]cancellation. The following cancellation policy applies with respect to Your Cruise Fare, Cruisetour Fare, air addons, Shoreside Excursions, and Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Package charges (“Total Charges”):

Coastal Cruises 5 days or less Nonholiday up to 19 days (excluding coastal 5 days or less) Holiday up to 19 days 20-day+ sailing including World Cruise segments Cancellation Fee

60 days or more 75 days or more 90 days or more 120 days or more None

59-43 74-57 89-64 119-90 Brochure Deposit Amounts

42-29 56-29 63-43 89-64 50% of Total Charges

28-15 28-15 42-22 N/A 75% of Total Charges

within 14 days within 14 days within 21 days within 63 days 100% of Total Charges[/font]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]cancellation. The following cancellation policy applies with respect to Your Cruise Fare, Cruisetour Fare, air addons, Shoreside Excursions, and Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Package charges (“Total Charges”):

Coastal Cruises 5 days or less Nonholiday up to 19 days (excluding coastal 5 days or less) Holiday up to 19 days 20-day+ sailing including World Cruise segments Cancellation Fee

60 days or more 75 days or more 90 days or more 120 days or more None

59-43 74-57 89-64 119-90 Brochure Deposit Amounts

42-29 56-29 63-43 89-64 50% of Total Charges

28-15 28-15 42-22 N/A 75% of Total Charges

within 14 days within 14 days within 21 days within 63 days 100% of Total Charges[/font]

Sorry

What I tried to copy was a chart and it just lined up all of the areas.

It's here: http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

There is a huge difference if they charge up to $1000 from the date of booking to the 57 day mark!!! :eek: and we don't pay any fee up to final payment.

Princess has a different policy for USA bookings as against UK and Australian ones. The australians and UK do NOT get their deposit refunded whatever the reason for their cancellation - they have to get it back via the insurance. They also do not get the chance to book as soon as the cruise is available it goes to USA tA's first and then afte a couple of weeks goes worldwide.

The FCC letters are also not the same.

I got these letters while cruising on the Sun Princess recently as we knew we wanted to book the Amazon B2B next year. The Amazon cruise was not available in australia so I booked through a USA TA when I gave them the references for the letters and our captains circle numbers - these should have given us a lower deposit, on board credit and th deposit to be refundable as a special - the Princess company advised that they would not accept these letters because we had not booked with an australian agent. The letters are in US$ and no where on them does it mention having to use an australian agent.

Numerous corespondence has been going back and forth but they refuse to honour their promise so the FCC are a hoax it would appear.

I am now trying Carnival.com direct to see if they can do anything but in the meantime I have had to pay the full deposit and have been told no on board credit.

Dont believe everything the future cruise director tells you - particularly if you are australian or british:(

If you have a British passport you do not need a visa to enter the USA,go on line and get a ESTA application authorization form,this is what you would call visa waver program .

I don't mind being called a Brit one bit............and am proud of it............so no offense taken by me.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world the term Brits could be offensive. It's just a shortened form of British. Jeesh! What could be derogatory about that? It doesn't make any sense at all. Yanks is just fine with me, by the way (and probably with most Americans as well).

In Australian slang, the British are called Pommies. And in the bush, if they really like you, "a pommie b..." is a term of endearment.

Of course, it is all in "how it is said".

I can say this because, as an Australian, I used to travel on a British Passport.

BTW We have been teased a number of times in the USA because we were driving a "Yankee" hire car.

Archived