First Few Hours Advise

BillMD

Hi, we're going on our first cruise in about 10 days (we're so excited)!

We're in a SB cabin, and was wondering if there are any tricks or favorite things others have done -- especially those tips that seem to pay off over the course of the week in terms of great relationships with the crew, etc.

Thanks!!

If you're on a ship with the thermal spa... and you want a pass for it, ( I recommend it highly as a great way to relax)definitely buy that in the first hour onboard, since they only sell a limited number of those. (You can search other threads to see if this is right for you.)

As soon as I've done that, I go reserve my meals in the Pinnacle Grill to make sure I get the nights and times that I want. (Although I've had good luck reserving them online, it's always best to double check once you're onboard).

Then, and only then, do I head up to the buffet for a snack. Then outside to a deck for a festive beverage or two (or five, lol). :rolleyes:

You might also consider stopping by the library to check out any books you might want to read before the more popular ones get snatched up. Possibly sign up for an Internet package while you are there, since there's a special price on the first day (about 20% more minutes).

By then your room should be ready and you can quickly unpack before the muster drill -- or not. After I'm done unpacking and putting the suitcases under the bed, THEN I relax and can enjoy everything around me!

Have a great time! Oh, and start saving money now,

because you will be hooked and want to book another cruise immediately, lol. :D

Since you are in a SB suite, check out the Neptune lounge (you can leave you carry ons there while waiting for your suite to be ready) and get to know the concierge, they can make any reservations or arrangements you need. There is usually a complimentary suite cocktail party the first evening also.

While some people like room service breakfast, we love going to the Pinnacle for breakfast, when we're in a suite. Same menu as the main dining room, but quieter, and MUCH less hassle than the Lido buffet!

This paid off for us when we had a cabana with butler at Half Moon Cay, as he was one of the regular Pinnacle staff, with whom we'd built a relationship. Blissful time on the private island!

Make it a point to learn the names of your cabin stewards and dining room stewards if you have Fixed seating, and address them by name when you talk to them.

If you'd like to see some smiles break out, say "Selamat pagi/sore/malam" instead of Good morning/day/evening. Also "terima kasih" for "thank you".

If this idea appeals to you, CLICK HERE for pronunciations.

Make it a point to learn the names of your cabin stewards and dining room stewards if you have Fixed seating, and address them by name when you talk to them.

If you'd like to see some smiles break out, say "Selamat pagi/sore/malam" instead of Good morning/day/evening. Also "terima kasih" for "thank you".

If this idea appeals to you, CLICK HERE for pronunciations.

Or you can go to http://www.learningindonesian.com and learn a little bit more. The first few lessons are greetings, and all lessons are short, a couple of minutes each. They can be downloaded and burned to a cd if you so desire. I listened to them on the way south in October and had a great reaction from my cabin steward and several of the crew in the Lido

Rich

Or you can go to http://www.learningindonesian.com and learn a little bit more. The first few lessons are greetings, and all lessons are short, a couple of minutes each. They can be downloaded and burned to a cd if you so desire. I listened to them on the way south in October and had a great reaction from my cabin steward and several of the crew in the Lido

Rich

I had a lot of fun on my last cruise with the little bit of Indonesian I learnt from that web site. They were always pleasantly surprised by it, kept asking me if I was Indonesian (a 6' 1" causian!) and were eager to teach me knew phrases.

John and Rich, thank you for the links! I wish I'd thought of learning a few polite phrases sooner (before previous cruises), but at least I'll know some for my next cruise.

Bill, I always include an extension cord in my packing, and I usually end up using it.

I had a lot of fun on my last cruise with the little bit of Indonesian I learnt from that web site. They were always pleasantly surprised by it, kept asking me if I was Indonesian (a 6' 1" causian!) and were eager to teach me knew phrases.

I had fun with it as well. It was nice walking down the Lido and hearing Good Morning, Good Morning, Selamat pagi, Good Morning and know that they remembered me. Each was very willing to help with additional phrases. I will do the same as a refresher before my next cruise. I have around 40 lessons downloaded and should listen to them more often.

Rich

Hi, we're going on our first cruise in about 10 days (we're so excited)!

We're in a SB cabin, and was wondering if there are any tricks or favorite things others have done -- especially those tips that seem to pay off over the course of the week in terms of great relationships with the crew, etc.

Thanks!!

In addition to an extension cord I always bring a "Power Strip" it gives you many additional outlets.

Clorox Wipes are highly advisable for sanitizing your cabin.

The cabin will be well cleaned but not sanitized in every corner outside the Bath.

So the Clorox wipes are for Door Knobs, Light Switches, Fridge Handle, TV Remote, Phone Handset & Keypad, Chair Arms on the verandah furniture, Hangers, Drawer Pulls etc. basically anything the hands of the previous passengers might have touched.

In the rare case that Noro Virus appears on your cruise, you do not have to be affected. Just keep thinking about it before you handle anything. It really is not that much work and is very preventative.

Do bring something to decorate your cabin door. It is fun and amuses you each time you come home for the evening. Careful that anything that sticks on is easily and cleanly removable. Photos of yourselves doing things you enjoy are always entertaining for your fellow passengers. Magnets work as the doors are metal.

Extra memory chips for your cameras can be useful as are extra batteries.

First time cruisers usually bring much more clothes than they actually wear. So pack lighter than you think.

ALSO: do bring lots of small bills $$$$. Although a gratuity is billed to your room each day and is added onto all bar orders, you will still want to give out something extra since the HAL service is soooo good. There are many tipping forums here.

You have come to the right place, CC is the best source of information. You can find the answer to anything here by doing searches.

Also find the Thread on CC for your particular sailing. You can make prior contact with fellow CC passengers (they are on every cruise). There is frequently a CC Meet & Greet on many sailings. Do plan on dressing to the 9's on Formal Nights, it is just plain Elegant and you'll be glad you did.

And, I hope you are prepared for the best time of your life.

Expect to become addicted ! :)

If you are flying in to your port, try and arrive a day early, and spend the night in a hotel either near the pier, or at one with realiable transportation. If you run into flight delays and arrive late, the ship does not wait. It has to leave at a specified time.

You have been given great suggestions already but here are a few of ours:

We walk by our room and if the steward is still cleaning it, we drop our carry ons in the closet and go to the Neptune. If you can't get to your room you can leave bags at Neptune.

We tip our room steward (suite) at the beginning of the cruise. Not a huge amount, but we always have rooms cleaned early, extra ice, more soda in fridge, faster return on laundry..You get these in a suite anyway, but we never have to ask for anything.

Send out formal wear and any laundry the first day as it can take a day or two to get it back (bags and forms in suite).

Become friends with the Neptune Lounge staff, they can make almost anything happen.

For longer cruises I bring an over the door shoe organiser. It helps with all the items you are not sure here to put and it keeps everything out of the way. Also good for shoes..lol

We bring a selection of our favorite DVDs to watch. They have a great selection on the ship, but this way you have it when you want it.

The wipes are a great and easy way to be safe and clean.. We bring both clorox wipes and and sanitising wipes...

You will have a great time and be prepared to be hooked on cruising!

Wendy:)

After an awful lot of cruises (stopped counting after 50) we have developed our own first day plan. We always try to get on-board as early as possible and than grab some lunch. Than, while most folks are walking around the ship (many with a dazed first day smile) we go back to our cabin, put on swim suits (this assumes its a warm nice day), grab our books, and than its out to the pool deck where we relax and people watch. We like to think of that first afternoon like a day at sea and know that we have plenty of time to walk around the ship during our cruise. With that in mind, we always carry swim suits in our carry-on luggage so that we can get out of street clothes and into the cruising mode. When we are on very long cruises (more than 14 days) we usually make an early stop at the library to get some decent books before they are gone.

Hank

We were on the Westerdam last week. If you're into spa things, be sure to enter the raffle and be there when they do the drawing. We both won! I won a free facial and my DH won a day pass to the thermal suite, which they let us apply to the cost for the full week's pass.

They pulled out lots of names of people who had entered the raffle but weren't present to win.

In terms of what to do first after boarding, I suggest you write up a list of things you want to do during the week that require reservations and then priorize them based on what you want to do most and what may "sell out" first. Then run around and get these reservations made and eat and relax only after these errands are done (it shouldn't take too long, maybe an hour at most).

Things you should consider reserving (in my suggested order of priority):

- reserving cabanas in the retreat or by the Lido (if you are on the Eurodam)

- signing up for cooking classes (these apparently fill quickly)

- reserving spa treatments (particularly if you want services on sea days or during other popular times)

- reserving (or cancelling previously made) shore excursions

- reserving (or cancelling previously made) specialty restaurant reservations

- signing up for exercise/fitness classes

- checking books and DVDs out of the library

- signing up for computer or other classes.

Even if you miss out on a few things you had planned to do, I think you'll have a great time. There are usually more things to do than time to do them.

So what is the Thermal Spa? Do you know if the Eurodam has one?

The Thermal Spa is the place to go if you want to feel so relaxed you can't stand up. :)

There is a warm pool, with loads of jets to soothe tired muscles. There's also a lounge at one end on which you can lie back and feel the tension leave your body.

When finished there, you can go to another room with heated, tile loungers. Soft music plays in the background. It is Heavenly.

And yes, the E-dam has the Thermal Spa.

You might need a little something to tide you over while deciding what to have for lunch on the first day.

I quite often go directly to the Lido pool area where I put down my carry-on and put up my feet.

Next stop is the Terrace Grill for a few corn chips and some guacamole. By then, a friendly member of the bar staff has delivered a light beer.

That's the routine.:)

Archived