Your Favorite Mixed Drinks.

savannahgirl1

I overheard a nasty rumor on the Ryndam earlier this month that, now please don't flame me - this is what I heard... (really)...

Gin is actually a type of Vodka.

<GASP>

I'd never heard that before, so... just putting it out there... irresponsible, I know. ;) (That's what I get for eavesdropping.)

Gin is actually a type of Vodka.

OK. I have a few more minutes to spend so I looked it up...

According to the Wikipedia Gin Entry only the non-redistilled type of Gin is actually a flavored Vodka.

More common varieties of Gin are distilled twice. Once in creating the spirit, and once again after infusing the spirit with Juniper berries and any other additional flavorings. This creates the unique GIN liquor and would (I assume) no longer be considered a type of Vodka... the same way Brandy is not considered a Wine, although it is distilled from wine.

OK. I have a few more minutes to spend so I looked it up...

According to the Wikipedia Gin Entry only the non-redistilled type of Gin is actually a flavored Vodka.

More common varieties of Gin are distilled twice. Once in creating the spirit, and once again after infusing the spirit with Juniper berries and any other additional flavorings. This creates the unique GIN liquor and would (I assume) no longer be considered a type of Vodka... the same way Brandy is not considered a Wine, although it is distilled from wine.

I think it depends on whether the vodka is grain distilled or potato based.

I think it depends on whether the vodka is grain distilled or potato based.

Again, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Vodka is a distilled beverage. It is a clear liquid which consists of mostly water and ethanol purified by distillation — often multiple distillation — from a fermented substance, such as grain (usually rye or wheat), potatoes or sugar beet molasses, and an insignificant amount of other substances such as flavorings or unintended impurities

hmmm. I guess it doesn't make a difference then? I'll bet that there are plenty of Vodka drinkers who would disagree... especially about the 'insignificant amount of other substances' part. ;)

Now I'm curious...DH is an "amateur" mixologist and this is about the third time I've heard about a class on the ship. Does the Eurodam have such an animal? I'd love to sign him up for that since he is the King of Koncoctions.

On our last cruise, we met a wonderful 20-something couple from New Zealand on their honeymoon. We started to talk to them, and noticed they had 6 drinks (3 each) lined up in front of them. Seems they didnt know what to order, so they ordered drinks whose names they heard before - 2 Martinis, 2 Manhattans, and 2 Old Fashioneds. They didnt like any of them, and were playing around adding juices to lighten them up...I think they only made it worse by adding pineapple juice to the martini, coke to the Manhattan, etc. Poor kids!

I had them try my two favorites - the Coral Drop and the Grapefruit Cosmo.

They didnt like any of them, and were playing around adding juices to lighten them up...I think they only made it worse by adding pineapple juice to the martini, coke to the Manhattan, etc.

Ooooo. That's painful.

Chateau Ste. Michele Eroica Reisling

Tell me please you were on the Eurodam? I really like that wine, it would be so much easier if they have that. Packing wine or buying before the ship sails is not fun. Not sure what wine's will be for sell in Copenhagen in June before the ship sails. And I really am not packing wine from Phoenix to Copenhagen...If anyone has some other hints as to what they might have on-board let me know...I have not been to Copenhagen in over 35 years, not sure what to buy wine wise....

On our last cruise, we met a wonderful 20-something couple from New Zealand on their honeymoon. We started to talk to them, and noticed they had 6 drinks (3 each) lined up in front of them. Seems they didnt know what to order, so they ordered drinks whose names they heard before - 2 Martinis, 2 Manhattans, and 2 Old Fashioneds. They didnt like any of them, and were playing around adding juices to lighten them up...I think they only made it worse by adding pineapple juice to the martini, coke to the Manhattan, etc. Poor kids!

I had them try my two favorites - the Coral Drop and the Grapefruit Cosmo.

First, thanks EVERYBODY!! I now have a nice list to take with me. Second, whats in a Coral Drop?

First, thanks EVERYBODY!! I now have a nice list to take with me. Second, whats in a Coral Drop?

A Coral Drop is a type of Cosmo, I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but something like Absolut Orange Vodka, Chambord, and Sweet and Sour. It is close to the Grapefruit Cosmo, but not as tart. I love the grapefruit cosmos, but too many of them upset my stomach because of all the citrus in the grapefruit. There's also an Apricot Cosmo that I love, too.

A Coral Drop is a type of Cosmo, I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but something like Absolut Orange Vodka, Chambord, and Sweet and Sour. It is close to the Grapefruit Cosmo, but not as tart. I love the grapefruit cosmos, but too many of them upset my stomach because of all the citrus in the grapefruit. There's also an Apricot Cosmo that I love, too.

Thanks. Thats sounds very good. :D

• 3 months later...

I was on the Westerdam in May and in the mixology class and menu they had a chocolate martini. It was clear and had a mint flavor to it. So good, does anyone have the recipe?

THANK YOU!

I was on the Westerdam in May and in the mixology class and menu they had a chocolate martini. It was clear and had a mint flavor to it. So good, does anyone have the recipe?

THANK YOU!

Try:

2oz good quality vodka

1/2 oz creme de cacao (clear)

1/2 oz creme de menthe (clear)

Some like it with vanilla vodka.

DW likes the more traditional, with Godiva choc liq.

Ken

I try to stay healthy on cruises, so I make sure I consume enough vitamin C by ordering Strawberry Mojitos and Strawberry Margaritas. For a nightcap, I usually keep a bottle of Chivas in the room - sweet!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I grew up in a small town in middle Tennessee, just a few miles from where a very famous Tennessee whiskey with the initials of JD is made, and also where another not so famous Tennessee whiskey with the initials of GD is made.

However my favorite HAL mixed drink is some lime concoction that is marvelous. My all time favorite mixed drink consists of Slo Gin, Southern Comfort and OJ, better known as a Slo Comfortable Screw! :D

This June on the Ryndam, the Wang Wang was not listed on any of the drink menus. However the bartender in the Crow's Nest knew how to make it - and I enjoyed them for the entire cruise. Cruise Critic is great! I never would have known about the Wang Wang without the information I got here.

Archived