Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Well folks I just did it. I cancelled my July Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean D1 category cruise. I'm tired of RCCL's 10 year plus policy of take, take, take, take, take, take.

GF and I are going to Paris for the same exact week we were going to be on our cruise. I reached Cubic Zirconia (diamond) status to only have the goal post move further away. RCCL and cruising with them is NO LONGER A PRIORITY or our first choice. And GF and I have already decided that next cruise will be on another cruise line - we're looking for a new flavor. By my accounts that is around $7,000 that I will NOT be spending with RCCL as a Cubic Zirconia member of the Crap and Anchor society.

Good for you. Sorry to see that all the RC sheep on here will shoot you down if you have the conviction to actually talk with your wallet.

I'm only a Platinum member but what they're doing doesn't make sense. You don't want to mess with those that have been the most Loyal.

I must say that on our "pre-wedding honeymoon" cruise on NCL's Jewel, we took an upsell from a Jr. Suite to a Penthouse. They couldn't do enough for us and this was our first NCL cruise. We had our own Espresso/Cappuccino machine that ROCKED, concierge, butler and something surprising every day in our stateroom. Party invites, etc. By RCCL's comparisons we would be "kiss my butt triple diamond" members.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE RCCL and always have, but what's my motivation to stay exclusively with them? Not much.

Mary

Climbing on my soapbox... (Fair warning!!)

Isn't it grand to live in a country where you can have that choice... moving your vacation to another cruiseline or another venue entirely? You have made a choice. Good for you. Maybe in your shoes I would have made the same decision. I don't "walk in your shoes..." Your money your call. However you want to say it.

This is an open board and a free country (for now...) and you can always voice your opinion as long as the OPs don't deem you a bad person and cut you off.

BUT... why air your discontent here? Who are you trying to hurt? My guess is that you want others to follow your choice. Fine. If they want to, be my guest! Maybe you want to hurt RCCL for what they are doing (and I don't agree with all of it myself) to keep their business viable in order to give me and all of us beautiful ships and fantastic vacations. But I for one do not particularly care to hear your whinning. Please just go and go quietly. As we here in Atlanta have always say in regards to those who always gripe about how bad Atlanta's traffic, weather, whatever is... " Delta is ready when you are..." Go to Carnival, Princess, whatever cruise line you think is better. By all means go.

I for one enjoy cruising. RCCL in particular. I have cruised Carnival and Princess and have nothing bad to say about them. I just choose RCCL. I enjoy cruising for what it is, in my opinion the BEST value for your money for a vacation. Again... just my opinion...

In this day in time companies do what they must to survive. So be it! But at least they are still there for me! :D

So flamers, whiners and those who disagree, if you are not happy with RCCL, don't try to ruin everyone elses fun. ... my opinion and we welcome yours...

Forgive me if I am off base on this..

You share your opinion, and say you welcome other's opinions, yet the point of your post is that people should "go, and go quietly". To me, that means you are chastizing the OP for sharing his opinion. Is it perhaps the delivery that you have taken issue with?

It is rather simple. RC did a study and determined that the expense of "customer loyalty" was not a good investment and, they could/would disappoint their key customers and make it up with new ones or those who would accept their "insult". They would not have to reward them as they filtered out the old loyal ones and were now tied in with ones who would be satisfied with some form of loyalty recognition neglect of their investments. .

We have spent considerable dollars on RC and gave up some good cruises to new ports becasue of the recognition for being good customers. I should add that neither of us drink so it is not a matter of "free alcohol. It is the principle. We were actually looking for a European cruise or TA in Sept or Oct on RC but as they say "that ship has now sailed".and someone else can enjoy our suite. We are looking at Princess Cruises who offer better and newer ports or other cruise lines who have a recognition of not only loyal customers but new ones.

As Jackie Gleason use to say, "and away we go"..

Well folks I just did it. I cancelled my July Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean D1 category cruise. I'm tired of RCCL's 10 year plus policy of take, take, take, take, take, take.

GF and I are going to Paris for the same exact week we were going to be on our cruise. I reached Cubic Zirconia (diamond) status to only have the goal post move further away. RCCL and cruising with them is NO LONGER A PRIORITY or our first choice. And GF and I have already decided that next cruise will be on another cruise line - we're looking for a new flavor. By my accounts that is around $7,000 that I will NOT be spending with RCCL as a Cubic Zirconia member of the Crap and Anchor society.

See ya and have fun. I am sure with that attitude you will enjoy Paris or anywhere else you choose to go.

Isn't it grand to live in a country where you can have that choice... moving your vacation to another cruiseline or another venue entirely? You have made a choice. Good for you. Maybe in your shoes I would have made the same decision. I don't "walk in your shoes..." Your money your call. However you want to say it.

This is an open board and a free country (for now...) and you can always voice your opinion as long as the OPs don't deem you a bad person and cut you off.

BUT... why air your discontent here? Who are you trying to hurt? My guess is that you want others to follow your choice. Fine. If they want to, be my guest! Maybe you want to hurt RCCL for what they are doing (and I don't agree with all of it myself) to keep their business viable in order to give me and all of us beautiful ships and fantastic vacations. But I for one do not particularly care to hear your whinning. Please just go and go quietly. As we here in Atlanta have always say in regards to those who always gripe about how bad Atlanta's traffic, weather, whatever is... " Delta is ready when you are..." Go to Carnival, Princess, whatever cruise line you think is better. By all means go.

I for one enjoy cruising. RCCL in particular. I have cruised Carnival and Princess and have nothing bad to say about them. I just choose RCCL. I enjoy cruising for what it is, in my opinion the BEST value for your money for a vacation. Again... just my opinion...

In this day in time companies do what they must to survive. So be it! But at least they are still there for me! :D

So flamers, whiners and those who disagree, if you are not happy with RCCL, don't try to ruin everyone elses fun. ... my opinion and we welcome yours...

------------------------------

Amen to that!

To the OP; I applaud your decision to spend your money as you wish. I will do the same, and look forward to our upcoming FOS sailing.

------------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

Fair enough and well said Ron. BUT don't you realize the irony of your post - after all it is just MY opinion - and you invite me to post it by concluding in your very own long winded post, "my opinion and we welcome yours."

I'm glad you enjoy RCCL - I very much like it myself - and since my opinion is "welcome" here per your post - I shared my change of plans.

Have fun on your cruise cheerleaders! Royal Caribbean loves your money!

I know there has been some debate on whether D+ have access to CL on Freedom and Oasis class ships. It appears that they do per this post on http://consumerist.com/5198209/royal-caribbean-scuttles-crown--anchor-society

Hi, this is Harrison Liu of Royal Caribbean International. Please let me clear up a point of confusion. Diamond Plus level Crown & Anchor Society members will still have access to the Concierge Lounge aboard ships that offer this amenity. Through the life of our Crown & Anchor Society program, the increased membership has affected the Concierge Lounge experience. We consistently review valuable guest feedback to ensure that we are able to continuously improve our services while keeping the base price of a Royal Caribbean International cruise essentially the same for nearly a decade. Diamond level Members cruising on Freedom- and Oasis-class ships will continue to be able to experience all current amenities in the dedicated Diamond Lounge on these ships, which features a complimentary happy hourfrom 5-8:30pm daily. All Crown & Anchor Society members will continue to receive their most valued benefits such as discounts on cruises, special recognition, priority embarkation and debarkation. Additionally, Royal Caribbean does offer a NY Sirloin steak as part of the 10 complimentary dinner entree choices in our main dining room. Guests have an 11th option for a Chops Grille Filet Mignon for $14.95.

Forgive me if I am off base on this..

You share your opinion, and say you welcome other's opinions, yet the point of your post is that people should "go, and go quietly". To me, that means you are chastizing the OP for sharing his opinion. Is it perhaps the delivery that you have taken issue with?

Exactly my point to him. You can't blame Ron - most common folks don't realize what they say.

For now. Policies change, so stay awake.

It still wouldn't bother me. It's funny how a couple months ago everyone raved about how much better RCI's loyalty program is compared to the other cruiselines. Now, during a time when everyone is cutting back, it's the end of the world that RCI is also. People still cruised other lines who offered nothing to repeat cruisers and people will still cruise RCI now with some changes.

It still wouldn't bother me. It's funny how a couple months ago everyone raved about how much better RCI's loyalty program is compared to the other cruiselines. Now, during a time when everyone is cutting back, it's the end of the world that RCI is also. People still cruised other lines who offered nothing to repeat cruisers and people will still cruise RCI now with some changes.

So True!!! :cool:

In our case, it isn't about the free drinks...well, alcohol anyway. We love the services the concierge performs such as handing out ice skating show tickets, white baggage tags, and tender tickets when they are required. We really enjoy the coffee machine and the breakfast snacks. We enjoy sitting in the lounge during the day and talking with other frequent cruisers. Mid day, the lounge is never crowded.

These are things that the new "enhanced" coupon books simply cannot replace for us.

There is one more thing too. I feel that RCCI is taking a hit financially in these tough times, but who are they choosing to apply their harshest austerity measures to? Why it is the Diamond Level of C&A! It doesn't make sense.

For example, we are half way through Diamond to Diamond Plus. We've been Diamond long enough to have enjoyed the perks and now they are yanked from us, at the same time we have a long way to go to reach Diamond Plus. Additionally, we have the concern that if and when we do reach Diamond Plus, the perks won't be yanked again. The confidence isn't there right now, I must admit.

Well said! That mirrors our situation and feelings very closely.

We feel the most sympathy for our close friends who just reached Diamond. On our Mariner sailing a few weeks ago, they enjoyed their first cruise with Diamond benefits. Now they are Diamoniques like us.

Even with the gutting of stockholder benefits, we aren't going to cancel cruises or "never sail with them again" because of this. Royal has, however, made our choice of future cruises an open competition and no longer a simple matter of loyalty.

I guess change is the only constant.

Dave

Exactly my point to him. You can't blame Ron - most common folks don't realize what they say.

Don't knock the "common folks" too much...without their basic conservative sturdiness, people who refer to them thusly would have nobody to step on as they climb to the top!

:D:D

Dave

I'm really curious...do people really select their vacations based on the fact that they might get a couple of free drinks a night in an overcrowded lounge? 1.gif

I'm curious, do people really pick their cars because of the fact that it has xenon headlights or an XM radio? In a competitive market, little things tip the balance.

Pierce, can any ole diamond club member become a diamonique? Is your sign in your signature available to any diamond member?

Sure!

It's already been adopted by a few.

Here's the link. Just copy it and change the "hxxp://" to "http://" when you paste it into the Insert Image dialog box:

hxxp://www.pbase.com/pierce324/image/111026600/original.jpg

Dave

I'm curious, do people really pick their cars because of the fact that it has xenon headlights or an XM radio? In a competitive market, little things tip the balance.

No. And they shouldn't.

Feeling Omnicient. Omnipotent and Omnipresent today? ;)

If this scenario were to actually happen, and Princess were to allow Diamond Members to join their Elite tier, they too, would have to find a larger lounge for their Elite members (plus Diamonds) as there could be quite an exodus, and a major coup for Carnival Corporation (who owns Princess). As some of you know, Princess has a lounge for their premium past cruisers, that allows for discounted drinks in the evening. I believe that Princess would sail full on every voyage, just with the overflow of unhappy Diamond members.

What a shame for RCCL. I wrote of an alternative plan last night, which I think would help ease the pain, because it's precisely the plan that Princess uses.

I have had 2 comments. None negative. This has led me to believe that it truly is more about the free drinks than anything else.

Rick

It would be a cold day in H*** before another cruiseline accepted credits from a competitor for their loyalty program...whenever I have read members here posting that they will ask for that (and there have been a few of you) I have to laugh and wonder what planet these folks are from?

WHY would any business give anyone prefered treatment when ALL of their previous money went to a competitor????? That is about the most ludicrous thing I can imagine....so all I can say to those asking is "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!" as I laugh my a$$ off!!

"Sure Mr Ex Loyal Royal, we will make you Princess Elite but you must PROMISE to become a Princess Cheerleader and ONLY give us your money....well at least till we change a policy and you run off crying to HAL" :D:D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Give me a break....

I'm not across the pond, but we are across the border and I too have not received any formal notification from Royal Caribbean regarding the C&A changes.

Have other Canadians received an e-mail?

yes...last week.

Archived