Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

What great opportunity for Carnival or Holland or another line to pick up a group of customers who have a history of being loyal. They may want to consider honoring those Diamond members of RCL on thier ship/lines and providing them with some form of recognition for moving to a line that respects their loyalty. I plan on moving on based on some of the feed back I have heard and read from Cruiser's who have used other lines. My loyalty to RCL means nothing or little so I would just be another line item on their business case showing that I was part of their assumption that I could be used.

[quote name='seasearider']There won't be a "Concierge Lodge" for Diamond members.[/quote]

[quote=Cruisin' Forever!;18972807]Except, as I pointed out (if you're referring to my original post)- the statement I made is absolutely true. Read again the line in the email to C&A members and scroll down. There WILL no longer be a Concierge Lounge for Diamond members. Only Diamond Plus and Suite (who can be people off the streets with NO loyalty to RCCL) guests will have access to the Concierge Lounge.

The newly created "Diamond Lounge" is not the Concierge Lounge at all. They use the term "complimentary" happy hour from 5pm to 8:30pm, but they carefully avoid what this means as well. Could be complimentary food. Maybe complimentary drinks. Who knows? Also, if they are doing something remarkable for their Diamond guests (I love the way this downgrade is sold to us in the email as something "we" requested and something wonderful... they didn't even kiss me first. Grown ups will know what I mean.) by providing a "Diamond Lounge" only available from 5pm to 8:30pm, then why not (Nation of Why Not, indeed!) roll this out fleet wide? They certainly were able to put a dopey rock wall on every ship! (ok- I like the rock wall... not my point) Radiance Class ships could easily have this... and again, they already sorta did this for us on Mariner last September.

And one other thing- the VAST majority of people going on cruises don't always read Cruise Critic (big mistake). I first heard of this in an email sent to me couched in flowery "aren't we wonderful" for doing this to (I mean, for) you? from Royal Caribbean. If I hadn't read closely, I may have missed the point. I feel very sorry for people in the Diamond level going on a cruise the first week of July who don't know about this! I hope they freak out- I would!:mad:

Everyone that's as mad as me about this should stand up at every "Welcome Back" party for C&A members on every ship in the fleet from now on and ask the Nation of Why Not why we can't continue to enjoy this priviledge that we earned?

My 82 year old father just wrote to me that he's really upset- he's at 8 completed cruises and he's been trying to play catch up with us so that he could enjoy this perk. Now, instead of just needing two more cruises, he's going to need to complete 16 more! This is garbage- absolute garbage![/quote]

Ok, so please tell me this, the statement "[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]There will no longer be a Concierge Lounge for Diamond members in the Crown and Anchor Society![/SIZE] " this is not from the email, but a personal statement when not really telling all of the facts. It is a little twisted because there will be a Diamond lounge on Freedom Class and above for Diamond members, 24 hour access, a different Concierge and bar and appetizers between 5 and 8:30pm everynight. This works the same as a CL but with a better view!:D;) How do you think the DL is different than the CL?:confused: If I am wrong, someone please point it out to me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Have fun cruising on whatever ship you sail on!:D[/FONT]

Also, a note to those posting that back in the day, the Concierge Lounge was something meant only for Suite Guests? Fine, then cancel it across the board for all Crown and Anchor Society Members! (Bet that will raise a few hackles...) Rename it the "Suite Lounge" and be done with it.

Its terrible customer service when you establish a promise of increased value for your loyalty, then pull away the football when "too many" people give you that loyalty.

Here's a better solution that Royal Caribbean could have instituted... and a fair one. Establish that as of July 1, 2009 the [B][COLOR=blue]Crown and Anchor Society Member[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]ship[/COLOR][/B] will be closed to all but those already in the program. New cruisers will "enjoy" a [U]new loyalty program[/U] that does not include the use of the Concierge Lounge (but includes the revenue building coupons... don't think of these ever as "freebies"... and the other current perks). This way, it will slowly evolve back to it's original Suite Guest perk (if this is truly the intention of RCCL). Or if RCCL still wants to reward it's cruisers who've attained more then 24 cruises with Concierge access, keep this in the new loyalty program or make it after 50 cruises for members of this new loyalty program I propose.

There's nothing wrong with closing down (or more correctly, locking it to it's current base) a club like the Crown and Anchor Society when it's membership ranks reach huge numbers. It's the more graceful way to get yourself into a more tenable situation (although I still think that's a bunch of hooey on RCCL's part) then to strike down earned options for members in good standing. The creation of a new club makes it possible for people coming into the RCCL family to still enjoy perks for their loyalty, while making us old timers happy that we haven't been downgraded.

[quote name='As the ship sails']The diamond lounge on Freedom class ships and above is not something that has been [I]newly [/I]created.:rolleyes: The diamond lounge is EXACTLY like the concierge lounge. It is located on deck 14 on the Freedom class ships and DOES have a concierge, has coffee drinks and breakfast items available same as the regular concierge lounge.:) YOU have access to the diamond lounge 24/7 with your diamond key provided to you in your stateroom.

As far as your statement regarding suite guests.........they deserve the concierge lounge. The concierge lounge was originally intented for suite guests only and only later did RCI extend the perk to diamond guests.[/quote]

Thank you for posting this as some of these posters would rather work on emotions than facts and get way to worked up when they don't even understand how the DL and CL operate:D

I was not trying to complain, just merely giving a final outcome of how I feel they got themselves in this situation and my thoughts on how it could have maybe been handled differently?

The bottom line for myself and my family is....I will continue to cruise Royal Caribbean because I think what they offer, rewards or not, they have a great product!

Given the current economic times, there are cutbacks everywhere...so people need to consider that too!

I still feel what extra perks they are continuing to offer are over and above what any other cruise line is currently offering!

[quote name='MBnancy']I've been reading these posts. We are Diamond Members, and have a JR. Suite booked on our next cruise this fall. Is a Jr. Suite good enough to get you in the Concierge Lounge, or is it only for those in Royal Suites, etc.?[/QUOTE]

nope no Juniors

the only thing a JS gets you is a tub

You are correct at present the Diamond lounge on the larger class ships do have a concierge. After July 1st they won't.

From the RCCL email and website

"Diamond Members cruising on Freedom Class ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas will continue to be able to experience exclusive access to a dedicated Diamond Lounge on these ships, which feature a complimentary 'happy hour' from 5-8:30pm daily."

no mention of a concierge just a "happy hour". The rep told it will include free drinks
"for now" were her exact words to be precise but will not include concierge benefits whatever they end up being. Which is kind of obvious from how access to a concierge and the specific mention of alcohol is deliberately left out. So you are in fact both right.......sort of.**

** Disclaimer. I reserve the right to be wrong, change my mind or any implications I may or may not have promised or implied.

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Forever!;18973284]Also, a note to those posting that back in the day, the Concierge Lounge was something meant only for Suite Guests? Fine, then cancel it across the board for all Crown and Anchor Society Members! (Bet that will raise a few hackles...) Rename it the "Suite Lounge" and be done with it.

Its terrible customer service when you establish a promise of increased value for your loyalty, then pull away the football when "too many" people give you that loyalty.

Here's a better solution that Royal Caribbean could have instituted... and a fair one. Establish that as of July 1, 2009 the [B][COLOR=blue]Crown and Anchor Society Member[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]ship[/COLOR][/B] will be closed to all but those already in the program. New cruisers will "enjoy" a [U]new loyalty program[/U] that does not include the use of the Concierge Lounge (but includes the revenue building coupons... don't think of these ever as "freebies"... and the other current perks). This way, it will slowly evolve back to it's original Suite Guest perk (if this is truly the intention of RCCL). Or if RCCL still wants to reward it's cruisers who've attained more then 24 cruises with Concierge access, keep this in the new loyalty program or make it after 50 cruises for members of this new loyalty program I propose.

There's nothing wrong with closing down (or more correctly, locking it to it's current base) a club like the Crown and Anchor Society when it's membership ranks reach huge numbers. It's the more graceful way to get yourself into a more tenable situation (although I still think that's a bunch of hooey on RCCL's part) then to strike down earned options for members in good standing. The creation of a new club makes it possible for people coming into the RCCL family to still enjoy perks for their loyalty, while making us old timers happy that we haven't been downgraded.[/QUOTE]
I think their may be one fatal flaw, what about the person who is one cruise away from diamond and sails right after July 1st. The problem lies in, where do you draw the line?

[quote name='cruiseorbust']I was not trying to complain, just merely giving a final outcome of how I feel they got themselves in this situation and my thoughts on how it could have maybe been handled differently?

The bottom line for myself and my family is....I will continue to cruise Royal Caribbean because I think what they offer, rewards or not, they have a great product!

Given the current economic times, there are cutbacks everywhere...so people need to consider that too!

I still feel what extra perks they are continuing to offer are over and above what any other cruise line is currently offering![/quote]

[SIZE=3]I totally agree with everything you said before and what you say now. I just turned diamond, so I'm in the category of those who lose out. Yet I love RC and will always choose her ships if all else is equal--or even not quite equal. :) However, there just is nothing left to be said that has not been said at least a hundred times already--for or against.[/SIZE]

[quote name='cruiseorbust']I was not trying to complain, just merely giving a final outcome of how I feel they got themselves in this situation and my thoughts on how it could have maybe been handled differently?
[/quote]

And you certainly have the right to do so.

But as some of the others indicated, there is already a thread pushing 3000 posts on this subject. CC merged many threads already.

I know you just returned, so I also don't mean to sound ugly. I'm just explaining some of the frustration that others (and I) have had.

***edited - and now I see this one was merged.

ITA on all points. Yes, if I were already Diamond, I might be a little miffed, but to what end? RCI obviously has a great product, that's why there are so many repeat customers who've now over run the CL. My kids will be the lucky ones too...by the time they're old enough to pay for their own cruises, they will already be at least diamond, they get to keep their credits as they come of age. (I asked!) Who knows, maybe the economy will turn around enough to change things again. Not necessarily the same, but maybe something different enough to keep people happy again.

Have the CL for "suites only" as it was originally meant to be. Now that would be an interesting new twist to this (lol)

And to the person that "wrote" the release for RC announcing the cut backs--they should hire you. It is outstanding.

If they had a lounge with 1/2 drinks they would make money. Tips would cover the labor and it probably only costs them 50 cents per drink in alcohol and another buck in appetizers per person.

Tucker in Texas

[quote name='jmraggs']Thank you for posting this as some of these posters would rather work on emotions than facts and get way to worked up when they don't even understand how the DL and CL operate:D[/quote]

There's no working on emotions from me, I'm D+ so little is changing for me for now. I do however feel for people who are or where about to be Diamond.

IMO, it is you who are getting worked up about the Diamond Lounge being the same as the Concierge Lounge. Your argument is like splitting hairs. It is a fact the Diamonds will no longer have access to the Concierge Lounge, though they will have the Diamond Lounge available to them on the mega-ships. C&A hasn't made it clear what other services beyond happy hour this lounge will provide.(I sure hope for the Ds sake, it offers the same amenities as the Concierge Lounge.)

[quote name='jensenbeach']What great opportunity for Carnival or Holland or another line to pick up a group of customers who have a history of being loyal. They may want to consider honoring those Diamond members of RCL on thier ship/lines and providing them with some form of recognition for moving to a line that respects their loyalty. I plan on moving on based on some of the feed back I have heard and read from Cruiser's who have used other lines. My loyalty to RCL means nothing or little so I would just be another line item on their business case showing that I was part of their assumption that I could be used.[/quote]

Hey, I recently booked a HAL cruise and was given their return cruisers discount in spite of it being my first cruise with them.(I'm guessing that had more to do with the economy, not RCCL's changes.)

[quote name='Aquahound']And you certainly have the right to do so.

But as some of the others indicated, there is already a thread pushing 3000 posts on this subject. CC merged many threads already.

I know you just returned, so I also don't mean to sound ugly. I'm just explaining some of the frustration that others (and I) have had.

***edited - and now I see this one was merged.[/QUOTE]

No offensense taken. I certainly understand how many people feel about working to get to the Diamond status, either just getting there or right before you are due to become a Diamond member, and then it just gets taken away. I have been a Diamond member myself for years, and so have all my family members (all earned on their own by the way). It has certainly been a nice perk, and most definitely been a way to help make me come back to RCI. The biggest thing is, it has always made me feel special over all the other cruise lines...like my loyalty is certainly appreciated!

[quote name='seasearider']There's no working on emotions from me, I'm D+ so little is changing for me for now. I do however feel for people who are or where about to be Diamond.

IMO, it is you who are getting worked up about the Diamond Lounge being the same as the Concierge Lounge. Your argument is like splitting hairs. It is a fact the Diamonds will no longer have access to the Concierge Lounge, though they will have the Diamond Lounge available to them on the mega-ships. C&A hasn't made it clear what other services beyond happy hour this lounge will provide.(I sure hope for the Ds sake, it offers the same amenities as the Concierge Lounge.)[/quote]

If that makes you happy:D

Cheers!

[quote=Cruisin' Forever!;18973284]Also, a note to those posting that back in the day, the Concierge Lounge was something meant only for Suite Guests? Fine, then cancel it across the board for all Crown and Anchor Society Members! (Bet that will raise a few hackles...) Rename it the "Suite Lounge" and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with closing down (or more correctly, locking it to it's current base) a club like the Crown and Anchor Society when it's membership ranks reach huge numbers. It's the more graceful way to get yourself into a more tenable situation (although I still think that's a bunch of hooey on RCCL's part) then to strike down earned options for members in good standing. The creation of a new club makes it possible for people coming into the RCCL family to still enjoy perks for their loyalty, while making us old timers happy that we haven't been downgraded.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Cruisin Forever, now that makes sense. Too bad you don't work for RCCL, that solution would not have made so many of us feel rejected and angry. And RCCL would have been able to keep the many people "jumping ship" for other lines. I have stayed loyal to Royal and recommended the line to all my friends because they made me feel special. Now I just can not feel the same because I feel as if they have taken away something that was promised to me. I know many people do not feel that way, that is fine. However my parents brought me up to live up to promises made, even if I did not want to do it or changed my mind. If I gave my word, 'it was golden' and I had to stand by it. I am in business also, and many times do not agree with customers, however, keeping a customer and their friends is important to keep a business ' afloat'. Better to find a solution that makes your customers happy than to lose a customer. Losing a customer is not just one person, it is everyone that person speaks to about you in the future. "Just my personal thoughts and opinion"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

This is some membership data from the RCL Form 10K for fiscal year 2008 ending 12/31/2008 filed with the SEC on 2/24/2009.
The RCL passenger loyalty program, C & A Society, has over 5 million members.
The Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises passenger loyalty program, Captain's Club, has over 1 million members.

[quote name='wblynch']Did you understand the replacement of a removed benefit with another (lessened) benefit?

Customers can appreciate the reduction of benefits when their loyalty is still recognized and rewarded by other means.

If the "problem" is overcrowding in the Concierge or overflow lounges, this addresses the "problem".

If the "problem" is cost containment of complimentary cocktails, this addresses that "problem".

I offer suggested alterations and am still met with denigrating remarks.[/quote]

I like the idea of being able to get a complimentary drink anywhere on the ship. To me, that would have been an upgrade and then make the CL for suite owners. I like idea of CL for suite owners vs the idea of reserving pool chairs, another change to my understanding.

I think your alternative suggestions are what RCCL needs. To hear alternatives (positive input) :)

[quote name='traveler/']This is some membership data from the RCL Form 10K for fiscal year 2008 ending 12/31/2008 filed with the SEC on 2/24/2009.
The RCL passenger loyalty program, C & A Society, has over 5 million members.
The Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises passenger loyalty program, Captain's Club, has over 1 million members.[/quote]

Shows the programs are successful. Wonder how many are at the top 3 tiers, which would represent repeat customers. I think you can inroll after/during your initial cruise and not sure how many first timers sail again or sail repeated times.

The real shame, to me, is that the C&A benefits/program was wildly succesfull in achieving its goal of getting continued loyality and to now mess it up is not the best PR. Secondly, to eliminate a benefit giving an explanation of capacity when there are easily a number of acceptable alternatives is another PR problem. If it was money, I could accept that better in these times.

[quote name='balconyonly']RCCL is not the same line it was years ago when Nordic Empress, Viking etc were still in the fleet. We sailed on Majesty when it was brand new. A midnight buffet every night, the food was far superior to today. The nickle and diming was considerably less, there was a duty free liquor shop on board ( and yes you could take it to your cabin) service was better. I am sure many others know all to well the changes in the last few years.

I understand the feelings of many of the diamond members, a benefit has been taken away. Yes I know as many pointed out that they have a right to do that, again I don't disagree but once you give someone a perk based on status don't take it away and still expect loyalty. The airlines found that out very quickly, RCCL will too. We are diamond but we took our last cruise a year ago, we had already decided the nickle and diming was too great. We go to all inclusives now instead and the price is half what we use to spend on a cruise.

I must say it was a slog reading through a lot of this ( I only scanned a tenth of the posts at best ) but it is obvious that there are people who feel strongly on both sides. ([COLOR=red]I discount the RCCL champions as short of screwing them over personally they can't see how RCCL could ever do wrong to anyone)[/COLOR]

As for the person who doubted how someone could know what is in the new coupon booklets they have obviously never had to have anything major printed. The lead in time is huge, I can guarentee they went through corporate review months ago and have almost certainly gone to print or will very soon if you are getting ten's of thousands for July 1st worldwide. The point being hundreds of people will have already seen them from graphics, marketing etc to corporate and then to the printing company or even some of it's outsourcing subcontractors. I already heard the same stuff on the coupons from the RCCL rep in this area. Which by the way was how I found this thread, they knew I used to look here and they suggested I take a look at the forum to see how everyone was reacting to the C and A changes.

Ultimately cruising is a business and sometimes tough decisions have to be made. I just think sometimes you get more credit by telling the truth. Don't tell people about exciting changes that you decided on after customer feedback when obviously it was a business decision to help with falling revenues. Just tell the truth and people will cut you a lot more slack and respect you more for it.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Apparently you didn't read all the RC's posts but I'll discount that nasty little comment you made about the RC's:D [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I do not consider ANY cruiseline nickle and diming you as it's your choice what you want to buy, no one is forcing you to spend money on anything. You know what your cruisefare includes way in advance of any cruise so there's no surprises. You can always cruise and have plenty of food, drink, and entertainment, arrange your own excursions and never spend a dime with any cruiseline other then the cost of your fare. It's completely up to you. Good luck with your land resorts and try to ignore all the extras they'll offer you also ( and they do ) or you'll say they are nickle and diming you too:)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Im sailing on the enchantment on 18 they just posted our meet and mingle party date and time. Its on a port day at 10 am !!! There are over 100 CC's signed up. Ive never had it on a port day like this. Are M&M next on the chopping block ??? How many people are going to show up if most of them are doing excursions ?

we're with you all the way gemcan1. We went on a small ship with an inside room just to obtain our diamond status, only to find out that it that the cl will be taken away. We wrote rcl to voice our displeasure but have not had the decency of a reply so far. Mutiny is not a bad way to go. We too are looking towards other cruise lines.

[quote=Kesaelcele's gramma;18893490]I don't think it's exactly the same thing. If I was getting dividends on a stock, and the company stopped paying them to EVERYONE for financial reasons, that's one thing. But for RCL to say (in essence) if you are a C&A member you get such and such a benefit (balcony discount for instance). Or if you are a stockholder you get an OBC on a cruise. BUT, if you are BOTH, you can only have ONE benefit! To me that sounds like stopping the dividend to SOME of the stockholders, but not ALL! If any of my other stocks did that I'd be pretty upset, too. Wouldn't you?

I wasn't happy when they stopped allowing you to combine balcony discounts and C&A coupons, but I understood. It was "double-dipping" from the same pot. But stockholder benefits and C&A benefits- not the same pot at all! What is the point of getting a "Next Cruise" on board anymore? If you are a platinum or above C&A member, it doesn't get you any benefit. What is the point of being a stockholder? It SURE isn't getting ME any benefits!!( Although I'll be holding onto it for a LONG time, hoping to recoup my losses a BIT!)

Actually, we rediscovered land vacations this last year- we spent a month in Montana in a BEAUTIFUL condo for less than the cost of the Alaska cruise we had been considering (and we live in SEA so no airfare!)! We're going to Sedona, AZ. for a month in May this year, and back to MT for September. I'm not saying I'll never cruise again (the ocean still calls me!), but our recent experiences with cruising and the nickel and diming that's getting worse all the time has kind of taken the fun out of it for us. I guess losing the cappuccinno machine in the CL was sort of the last straw![/quote]

We were RCCL stockholders until they advised that credits weren't combinable,:mad: we sold our stock immediately; so fellow cruisers we can talk or we can talk with our pocketbooks.....it all depends how strongly you feel about unfairness.

[quote name='As the ship sails']The diamond lounge on Freedom class ships and above is not something that has been [I]newly [/I]created.:rolleyes: The diamond lounge is EXACTLY like the concierge lounge. It is located on deck 14 on the Freedom class ships and DOES have a concierge, has coffee drinks and breakfast items available same as the regular concierge lounge.:) YOU have access to the diamond lounge 24/7 with your diamond key provided to you in your stateroom.

As far as your statement regarding suite guests.........they deserve the concierge lounge. The concierge lounge was originally intented for suite guests only and only later did RCI extend the perk to diamond guests.[/quote]

Well, actually no, there's never been a "Diamond Lounge" - merely an over flow room for those few times when the demand for the Concierge Lounge made it necessary. And btw- Mariner had the same thing you describe incorrectly as a "Diamond Lounge".

Also, the newly created (because it doesn't exist till July 1st of this year...) "Diamond Lounge" is NOT going to be open 24/7 as you describe. (I suspect you haven't bothered to read the full email from RCI) It will only be open on a short term basis from 5pm till 8:30pm.

On balance though, and reading between the lines- you evidently think only suite guests should get this. So if you are a Diamond Member of C&A and you truly take this position, feel free to write RCCL about how you wouldn't mind giving up your earned perk (after many cruises, I suspect)- if enough Diamond Members do this, maybe the rest of us who want to keep this perk will be able to. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Archived