Credit cards and PINS required

I have read on here that some people have needed their PIN number for their Credit cards to use them in the scandanavian countries. I've traveled to switzerland, germany, france, spain and have never had to have a PIN number to use my credit card. Is this something I need to worrry about?

If your creditcard has the latest chip built in (like most creditcards in Europe have nowadays) you will need the PIN to pay as well as to withdraw.

It more or less works like an ATM.

If you donot have that chip yet, you probably can use it without that.

I'm sorry i don't know what you mean by chip. Is this an all-in-one debit/credit card you are referring to? If the card has a chip do you require a PIN in the U.S or is this something unique to using it in Europe. I have a pretty new credit card and have used it in Germany and England recently without needing a PIN. I guess I'm just confused over this new chip card you are referring to?

The chip is built in the new creditcards in Europe. By asking the PIN during transactions it is an extra security, apart from the signature.

As mentioned you give your PIN in machines yourself, not through other persons. Like you take out money of an ATM.

Last summer when we were in Europe we found a number of countries and places (especially automated ticket machines) that only accepted credit cards with PIN code. Shortly after arriving back to Canada, our Visa was upgraded to the new technology that includes the built in electronic chip and has a PIN that we set up in the same way as setting up a PIN for a debit card. Many of the retail outlets in Canada are now switching over to the credit card PIN technology which is more secure, though non PIN cards can still be used as well. Hope this clarifies for some of you who have not heard of the PINs for credit cards before.

This is straight from the horse's mouth at Visa. http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/european_travel_tips.html

"Ensure your card is processed successfully when traveling abroad

"Traveling to Europe soon? Be aware that many countries throughout Europe, including the UK, Ireland, France, and others, have recently introduced a chip and pin payment system that utilizes cards embedded with a chip and protected through the use of a personal identification number. Some merchants in Europe have mistakenly refused to accept Visa cards issued by U.S. financial institutions because the cards do not have an embedded chip that can be read at the point of sale.

The good news is that U.S. cardholders visiting Europe can continue to use their magnetic stripe Visa card in countries with this system. The merchants’ terminals are designed to recognize and prompt appropriately, and you should still be able to sign a transaction receipt."

The link has more information.

I can't say that I'm not worried about my card being refused. This has been on my mind since Europe started to switch to Chip and PIN. Not that I've ever run into having my US non-chip card refused. But there's always a first time, and I've no doubt it will be an inconvenience when it does happen.

Worse yet, from what I hear, US institutions have no intention of considering the adoption of this system, putting us at odds with a good portion of the rest of the world.

Well, I suppose I will be spending less money in Europe. I would guess that THAT would be more of a loss to the merchant than to me. If the millions of Americans visiting are having their cards refused, perhaps -- just perhaps -- those European merchants will reconsider the loss of a potential 300 million customers.

I am surprised that of the millions of credit card tansactions in the States, that the card companies/banks do not see the "chip" as the way to go. Could it be that it is not fool proof?

You don't need a PIN if there is a human (waiter, salesperson, cashier) to accept your credit card. However, you do need a PIN if you are dealing with a machine (ATM, ticket machine, etc.)

We couldn't use our credit cards to purchase train tickets from a machine in several places (Berlin, Amsterdam, etc.) because we did not have a PIN. We had to line up to purchase tickets at a window with a person selling tickets.

Can I call my credit card company and request a PIN? Is that all that is needed to use a card in a machine (e.g. ATM, ticket, etc.) or is the embedded chip also needed?

Thanks,

I believe the PINs only work with the chip card which not all companies have gone to yet. Calling your credit card provider is likely the best way to get the answers you need.

Hi,

We carry all 3 of the major cards (master, visa and American Express). We have traveled worldwide with them. I also call ahead to tell them where we are going. I have never had any problems with them in the past. So after reading the post about chips and pin codes, I called all of them. Both Master and Visa allowed me to set up a pin code. AX said that they are aware of this, but one is not needed for theirs. If there is a problem I should call the customer service number on my card. Right, like I am to try and deal with AX and a merchant and waste my vacation time and then possibly find out that the AX rep was WRONG. I am not confortable with this answner, so I think AX is staying home, unless I read from some other posters that this is correct.

p.s Currently, (who knows if this will change) Capital One does not charge the exchange fee (2-3.5%) on overseas purchases .

• 2 months later...

I just returned from a Princess cruise, leaving from Southampton with ports in Spain, Portugal and France. We have traveled internationally for many years with no problems with our credit cards. We always call credit card company ahead of time to let them know dates and countries we'll be in.

This trip, however, we did encounter problems with merchants requiring a credit card with the raised chip/PIN on the card. The stores swipe the shorter end of the card through their machine which reads the chip. Tried to use my card in John Lewis department store in Southampton and it wouldn't work. The clerk called her manager, which allowed her to key in my VISA number, which they normally are not permitted to do. Used it several other places with no problem.

Several merchants in France tried to swipe the card but wouldn't work without the chip. We probably could have had them call the 800 number for authorization, but we had communication problem here because the merchants spoke no English and we spoke no French.

I've done some research since returning and seems the US is not prepared to issue cards with chips since every merchant's swiping machines would have to be replaced. It just seems we should have a universal credit card that can be used anywhere.

We're going to Scotland next year and plan to call credit card company to see what we need to do to be able to use our card. We certainly don't want to have to carry around cash or use ATM machines all the time.

Well, I suppose I will be spending less money in Europe. I would guess that THAT would be more of a loss to the merchant than to me. If the millions of Americans visiting are having their cards refused, perhaps -- just perhaps -- those European merchants will reconsider the loss of a potential 300 million customers.

I am surprised that of the millions of credit card tansactions in the States, that the card companies/banks do not see the "chip" as the way to go. Could it be that it is not fool proof?

I doubt very much that they'll reconsider. Let's put it like this. There's a lot more than 300 million Europeans and the merchants are making good money out of them. Your suggestion that there's a loss of potentially 300 million customers is laughable. The amount of Americans that travel to Europe is a tiny proportion of the population so it's hardly going to get the European banking system to change its mind.

Chip and PIN has been proven to have a significant impact in reducing credit card fraud.

How's about winding your neck in and asking your bank to issue you with a credit card that has a chip.

When I read here that it may be an issue using a credit card without a chip in Europe, my husband called our credit card company (in Canada) to inquire about getting a new card. He was initially told that we needed to wait until our card expired as all new cards were going to be issued with a chip. He insisted that we wanted a replacement card with a chip now and they sent one immediately. No problem.

When I read here that it may be an issue using a credit card without a chip in Europe, my husband called our credit card company (in Canada) to inquire about getting a new card. He was initially told that we needed to wait until our card expired as all new cards were going to be issued with a chip. He insisted that we wanted a replacement card with a chip now and they sent one immediately. No problem.

Don't know what card you have, but AMEX tried that in the UK too.

When the policy was announed, VISA and Mastercard started to re-issue chipped cards to their customers. AMEX didn't, they said they'd be replaced when the card expired.

Then their revenues fell and they suddenly started re-issuing cards!

I live in Canada and have recently received a new Visa "chip" card. Not

all merchants have the new swiper, (small like a debit card) but they just

get you to sign the slip. However, if they use a new chip machine, you

do not sign, just put in your pin number,like the debit card - no signature.

It is much safer in my opinion.

Our RBC Visa in Canada issued us the PIN last year. Good thing too as many of the places we stopped in Europe last summer, only took PIN credit cards. Here on the West coast of Canada, merchants have a mix of the usual signature type credit card machines and the newer PIN machines. More and more are going to the PIN mcahines.

After reading this thread, I have called both Mastercard and Visa and they are sending me Chip enhanced cards (approx. 2 week wait time) This is in Canada.

Figured better to be ready than have a problem while travelling.

Called Capital One and they said 2.5% foreign currency exchange fee; I thought they didn't charge but maybe that is only in US?

Archived