Live From IOS Transatlantic April 12-25!!!!

Joyce, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. I am aware of the Heath Express BUT getting to that station is the problem. Not sure you know that I am actually staying about 50 miles north of London and take the fast train in everyday. I will need to do this tomorrow and then take a bus to Paddington station or just go for the Tube and hope it isn't too crowded. Once I am on it goes all the way, just getting the luggage all the way down there and into the train itself. I am seriously thinking about the bus to Paddington but all this happens tomorrow one way or the other.

I wasn't aware that you were still staying outside London, Vince. It sure does make for difficult decisions.

Good luck with whichever transportation you take. I hope it's not too difficult a trip. At least you'll get a good 6-7 hours of 'rest' on the plane ride home....if that's any consolation!! :p

Joyce :D

Good luck, Vince! We'll all be interested in hearing about how your transportation went. It can't be much worse than the taxi ride from the train station to our hotel in Paris, though. :eek: ;)

I'm glad you and Dennis are home, Mary! Sorry about the delays. I guess we were very fortunate in Chicago. We didn't even have to wait for a Super Shuttle, in Sacramento. Our only challenge was finding a store open until Midnight, so we could buy some milk & bread.

Good luck, Vince! We'll all be interested in hearing about how your transportation went. It can't be much worse than the taxi ride from the train station to our hotel in Paris, though. :eek: ;)

I'm glad you and Dennis are home, Mary! Sorry about the delays. I guess we were very fortunate in Chicago. We didn't even have to wait for a Super Shuttle, in Sacramento. Our only challenge was finding a store open until Midnight, so we could buy some milk & bread.

We're here!! Just went to buy "milk and bread" also ($70 later). ha.ha. All is well, having post-cruise blues this evening.............. 2 1/2 weeks is a long time! So glad you guys are home safe. Talk to you later. Mary

Lorna has hinted at our taxi cab ride from the Paris train station to the hotel. So here is preview from our soon to be posted review of our trip.

We arrived at 10:45 in Paris..(pm) with 9+ bags. Train station is not looking like a fun place to stick around so we head outside to what the signs say are taxis - think again. We are on the corner of the train station - so we send Dennis out in the rain - no taxis. So then we decide to all go - I went one way and saw the taxi stand off in the distance ( not seeing any taxis though) and Lorna yells - I turn around and they have flagged a station wagon looking taxi. He says he can take us to our hotel for around 20 euros - we are thrilled.

He piles all the big cases in the back - but we will have 4 carry on bags that probably weigh 30 pounds a piece and are stuffed full that won't fit. I got in the cab first in the back with one case on my lap, purse on the floor. Dennis puts another case on top of that one - now I can't see forward - he gets in with a case in his lap - Lorna gets in with still another case. Bill gets in the front with the seat all the way forward and he is crammed against the dashboard. All the while pouring rain. We head down the street and the cab driver asks for the address again ( he at least has the street). The address is in my purse, on the floor. I can't move - the suitcases are jammed into my stomach. Dennis reaches down to see if he can retrieve the address (note where my purse is referenced above) and says "I think I got lucky" and that was it - we all lost it. The more we laughed, the more we hurt (said suitcases jammed into our stomachs.

Funny trip - but we made it - all in one piece. Vince, we were grateful at this point you were not with us!!!! Mary

The weather for the rest of the crossing was unbelievably warm and wonderful. The seas were very calm. There was a storm out there, but Capt. Teo was very careful to keep us away from it. I spent a lot of time on our aft balcony, enjoying the weather.

Have a wonderful time and safe journey!!! ~ Lorna

Hello Lorna.

This is Tim from a Radiance repositioning cruise (Vancouver to LA) we were on together in September 2006. I see you just returned from a TA cruise. We're going on a TA on the Jewel leaving Miami this Monday... really looking forward to it. We lucked out and got cabin 9256 so we're hoping to spend a lot of time on our aft balcony as well.

I see you had given Carl (he's on our cruise as well) a description of the Normandy area. For me, that's the highlight of the trip and the only private tour that we've booked. We're going to "wing it" at the rest of the ports. Anyways, just saw you were on this thread and thought I would say hi. Hope everything is going well with you. Take care.

Tim

Hello Lorna.

This is Tim from a Radiance repositioning cruise (Vancouver to LA) we were on together in September 2006. I see you just returned from a TA cruise. We're going on a TA on the Jewel leaving Miami this Monday... really looking forward to it. We lucked out and got cabin 9256 so we're hoping to spend a lot of time on our aft balcony as well.

I see you had given Carl (he's on our cruise as well) a description of the Normandy area. For me, that's the highlight of the trip and the only private tour that we've booked. We're going to "wing it" at the rest of the ports. Anyways, just saw you were on this thread and thought I would say hi. Hope everything is going well with you. Take care.

Tim

Tim, how great to hear from you!!!

We nearly canceled the cruise when we learned that Cherbourg had been cut from the itinerary. However, it turned out for the best, as a post-cruise visit to Normandy gave our DHs (and Vince) an opportunity to see much more of the region than if we only had a few hours. Please try to see Pont du Hoc, on your visit. Frankly, I was planning on avoiding most of the WWII sites (or "Dead Body Museums," as I was calling them) and didn't know a thing about Pont du Hoc before we left. I found this site to be very moving. There are HUGE craters every few feet. These were left from the shelling. You also can see (and go through) the bunkers. Of all the places we went to (other than the very moving American Cemetary), I found this to give the most realistic feel for what our young men must have experienced.

We had the corner aft on Deck 10 (1700) for our TA. What a wonderful place to be. I know you'll have a wonderful time!

Are you going to the Azores? If so, we had a wonderful private guide, for a very good price. It's another of those places that I recommend taking a tour. If you would like a reference, send me an email at aladylawyer @ hotmail . com (all smushed together).

Bon Voyage and safe sailing! ~ Lorna

Hello All!

Just wanted to tell you I posted a review - my first one ever...it is VERY long...sorry about that!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978037

I submit it through the proper member reviews as well, but figured I would also post on the boards.

Again, it was a blast and glad we could meet you.

:)

QUOTE]

Lorna, well perhaps it is. :eek: I am back in the good ole US now and that is all I can say for now. I am not a happy camper right now and kind of upset with the airline (NW). It all started yesterday when I printed my boarding pass out last night. I noticed that once again they mess around with my flights (again) but the one out of London was unchanged so at the time I thought ok, I am finished messing around with them I want to go home. I should have looked just a little closer. :mad: I will comment more later, I am going to bed but lets say I a not in my bed, I am stuck in Minnesota for the NIGHT with no flight home until tomorrow. It is hard to make a flight connection that they schedule for you 45 -1 hour before you land (never mind going through customs and getting you luggage). That is exactly what they did to me when they changed my flights again. Wait till you hear one other thing that could have happened and now I just wish so badly it did but after a long train and tube ride to Heathrow, I just wanted to get on the plane and head home (so I thought). I think it is 141 am to me and I am going to bed. I watched one movie on the plane and finished my book. I will say the flight over was actually very good and no problems with customs at all.

OH, I did end up on the Tube with all the luggage but I picked the least crowded time to go for it. As it turns out that was not the worst part of the day for me (lol).

Things might look brighter in the morning, Vince. At least you're back in the US. And you're closer to home. I can't believe that flights get changed so much. It doesn't happen here...that I know of. Of course, that doesn't help you any.

Sleep well, and get a good rest. Breathe deeply, and try to revel in the wonderful memories of your cruise and post-cruise visit. Think happy thoughts.

I feel your frustration...it will subside!

Thanks for keeping us posted. My story about getting home is so very boring...:p

Joyce

Funny trip - but we made it

Great story - looking forward to reading your whole review Mary!

I always say that my favorite moments in life happen when I am in the throes of doing what is unexpected.

Bravo!

Things might look brighter in the morning, Vince. At least you're back in the US. And you're closer to home. I can't believe that flights get changed so much. It doesn't happen here...that I know of. Of course, that doesn't help you any.

Sleep well, and get a good rest. Breathe deeply, and try to revel in the wonderful memories of your cruise and post-cruise visit. Think happy thoughts.

I feel your frustration...it will subside!

Thanks for keeping us posted. My story about getting home is so very boring...:p

Joyce

Joyce,

Oh I will survive and it is morning although, trust me this hotel is nothing to write home about, maybe 2 stars. It is just the way they changed my flights over and over and then set me up for failure with no chance to make the connecting flight. The agent here saw it and said, you had no chance at ever making this even though your flight in was 30 minutes early. There is more which is what really is bothering me. Believe it or not I was offered a$1000 US voucher on NW yesterday if I would give up my seat and say at a hotel near Heathrow and fly back today! :eek::mad: Yes, if I wasn't going home I would have jumped all over that $1000 but no (I decided after riding the trains and tube for over 3 hours that I wanted to get home and I already have some airline credits at home somewhere. The other thing was they needed to be used in a year and frankly I don't have that much vacation but I could have taken some weekend trips. So that fact is I was stupid and should have taken the money and flown home today and I bet when they re-wrote my ticket they would have fixed is so I actually got home. I actually did talk to them and was thinking about it but I told them I wanted to fly back on Delta which is the same as NW now. I thought I wanted to go through Atlanta and then to Tampa (plenty of flight to Tampa from Atlanta and I would not be stuck).

Anyway, I should be ok today and have a non-stop (LOL, what I originally had booked). It is cold up here this morning (30's).

Vince...it's hard to think when you've just gone through 3 hours of subway and train rides with luggage. It's not like they give you lots of time to mull it over, either.

You did what your gut feeling was telling you, and I've always found that that it is the best indicator of a good decision.

Have a wonderful rest of your trip back home. You'll be glad to see the inside of your front door!! :D

Joyce

Hello Lorna.

Tim

Tim,

If you get back here, I will echo what Lorna said. Pointe du Hoc was the most moving site we visited. I do not know what you have planned, but since it appears you only have 9 hours, I would recommend you look for the sites and avoid the museums. You can see pictures on the History Channel. The 2 don't miss sites in my opinion are the American Cemetery and Pointe du Hoc. If you see any museum type exhibit, the one in the Cemetery visitors center is the best for the time available. I would skip the museum in Caen. It's OK if you have time, but its a long way from Cherbourg. I think your limited time is better spent nearer the beaches. If you have time to squeeze in the Bayeux tapestry, do it.

D

Hello Dennis.

Thanks for your input. We're going to be using Overlord Tours (http://overlordtour.com - highly recommended by CC and Trip Advisor) and the tour guide also recommended skipping the Caen Museum. Since we are only there for a limited time, we were going to concentrate on the sites you mentioned, Omaha Beach, St. Mere Eglise, and whatever else we can cram in without feeling too rushed.

Below is what the tour operator responded to me on my original email asking for information...

Thank your for your inquiry into OVERLORDTOUR, a full service sightseeing company, which features discovery and exploration of the Allied Forces landings and Invasion in Normandy, France, during World War II.

We are available for scheduling a Tour # 9: Personalized Tour on 16 May 2009 for 8 people. We don’t advise you to go to Caen Memorial. That’s very expensive for nothing! Many people are disappointed but that’s up to you! Moreover that’s pretty far and you may miss some spots much more exciting than this Memorial.

Based upon the demand for our tours the past few seasons, it is advisable to make decisions about your tour and reservations with us as soon as possible. You can do so by returning this email with your approval.

TIMES AND LOCATIONS: We can pick you up at the Port of Cherbourg at 8:00.

POINTS TO CONSIDER ABOUT OUR TOURS: In order to assist you with making your choice of tours, and itineraries, the following information may be of help to you:

1. Our tours are led by our Director, Alain or our guides Olivier and Philippe passionate WWII historians, who have extensive knowledge of the landings in Normandy. Additionally, unlike other tour companies, all of our tours are based upon extensive historical research and study, geographical and topographical studies, in depth interviews with many of the native Normans who were actually there during the Invasion, and our personal, intimate knowledge of the Normandy area. It is our intention through this extensive pre-tour study and research to provide you during your tour with the most accurate, authentic, knowledge and examination of this important historical area.

2. Our mission is to provide a concise account of the vital part that the Allies played in the Invasion, and the details regarding the landing. Your tour can be as detailed as you desire. Our guides have extensive knowledge of the movements of all the Units and can give pinpoint details of their involvement. However, if you desire a more general overview of the Invasion, we can accommodate that too.

3. Our Tours are conducted in English.

4. All of our Tours are enhanced with actual photos taken during the Invasion in 1944 at the very same spots that you will be visiting. You may have seen some of these historic photos in Life Magazine, or in various history books about the Invasion. Some have been specially obtained from other sources not available in mainstream or traditional history books.

5. Finally, our Tours offer a unique feature of actually guiding you to some key areas of the Invasion that are privately owned, and only accessible to our Tour Company. This is due in part to our Tour Guides intimate knowledge as resident of Normandy of the local owners of such areas. Only you will have the opportunity and privilege to access these points!

I'm hoping and believing this will be the highlight of our trip.

Tim

Emmy, Lorna has a picture she can't wait to show you. This morning when she took it we all thought of you. :p

Almost forgot to mention there was a lot of talk in the D Lounge about the changes and a lot of unhappy people. I must confess and say I made the best of it this cruise since it will be a long time til I am in one again (Oasis unless that changes).

Vince & Lorna ~ just playing catchup on this thread with my buddies from the Indy TA... just saw this post now.... hope to see the photo and all the rest when you all rest up. Could it have involved something say perhaps 'something PINK

You all sound like you had an amazing time.

Lorna has hinted at our taxi cab ride from the Paris train station to the hotel. So here is preview from our soon to be posted review of our trip.

We arrived at 10:45 in Paris..(pm) with 9+ bags. Train station is not looking like a fun place to stick around so we head outside to what the signs say are taxis - think again. We are on the corner of the train station - so we send Dennis out in the rain - no taxis. So then we decide to all go - I went one way and saw the taxi stand off in the distance ( not seeing any taxis though) and Lorna yells - I turn around and they have flagged a station wagon looking taxi. He says he can take us to our hotel for around 20 euros - we are thrilled.

He piles all the big cases in the back - but we will have 4 carry on bags that probably weigh 30 pounds a piece and are stuffed full that won't fit. I got in the cab first in the back with one case on my lap, purse on the floor. Dennis puts another case on top of that one - now I can't see forward - he gets in with a case in his lap - Lorna gets in with still another case. Bill gets in the front with the seat all the way forward and he is crammed against the dashboard. All the while pouring rain. We head down the street and the cab driver asks for the address again ( he at least has the street). The address is in my purse, on the floor. I can't move - the suitcases are jammed into my stomach. Dennis reaches down to see if he can retrieve the address (note where my purse is referenced above) and says "I think I got lucky" and that was it - we all lost it. The more we laughed, the more we hurt (said suitcases jammed into our stomachs.

Funny trip - but we made it - all in one piece. Vince, we were grateful at this point you were not with us!!!! Mary

Mary ~ very funny. Laughed out loud at this one :) I have to cruise with you one day as you seemed to be the ultimate organizer. Sincerely Hope our cruising paths do cross

Tim, how great to hear from you!!!

We nearly canceled the cruise when we learned that Cherbourg had been cut from the itinerary. However, it turned out for the best, as a post-cruise visit to Normandy gave our DHs (and Vince) an opportunity to see much more of the region than if we only had a few hours. Please try to see Pont du Hoc, on your visit. Frankly, I was planning on avoiding most of the WWII sites (or "Dead Body Museums," as I was calling them) and didn't know a thing about Pont du Hoc before we left. I found this site to be very moving. There are HUGE craters every few feet. These were left from the shelling. You also can see (and go through) the bunkers. Of all the places we went to (other than the very moving American Cemetary), I found this to give the most realistic feel for what our young men must have experienced.

We had the corner aft on Deck 10 (1700) for our TA. What a wonderful place to be. I know you'll have a wonderful time!

Are you going to the Azores? If so, we had a wonderful private guide, for a very good price. It's another of those places that I recommend taking a tour. If you would like a reference, send me an email at aladylawyer @ hotmail . com (all smushed together).

Bon Voyage and safe sailing! ~ Lorna

I am so glad you and Bill decided to stay and I know Mary and Dennis are as well.

Ok Drum Roll,

I am finally home and I actually walked in the door at 3:30 ET and the laundry is started (wow tons of it). I survived the hotel NW put me in but lets say it ranks way down on my list of favorite places and I would not have booked it on my own. The good news is Chili's next door accepted the NW food voucher and it was so good to eat that type of food again. :p

I am glad to be home but it is kind of sad that it is over now after waiting for over a year I think for it to happen. I realize that I am very blessed to be able to go on a vacation like this one and it was especially great to meet all the great people. There were so many wonderful people that I met and some I spent quite a bit of time with while others I may have only briefly met during the SlotPull or the Pocker run. The ship was so large I was amazed how you could go days without seeing someone, even at sea.

I hope Ron is feeling better now, I had no idea he had been in such poor health until the last day so Ron and Sue please keep us updated

Mary ~ very funny. Laughed out loud at this one :) I have to cruise with you one day as you seemed to be the ultimate organizer. Sincerely Hope our cruising paths do cross

Emmy, you just wait and see the picture Lorna has for you. :p Oh when we saw it we immediately thought of you, right Lorna.

Emmy, you just wait and see the picture Lorna has for you. :p Oh when we saw it we immediately thought of you, right Lorna.

Absolutely, Vince! Welcome home, BTW! I believe you get the official "worst trip home" award. Next time I see you, I'll deliver the gold medal. ;)

Emmy, you just *might* be right about that photo. However, I'll bet you'll never guess what the subject of the photo is ... :rolleyes: When I dig out from under this pile of work that I haven't been able to even look at because I've been feeling so crappy, and get my photos downloaded to my desktop, I'll email a copy of the photo to you.

Take care! ~ Lorna

Ok Drum Roll,

I am finally home and I actually walked in the door at 3:30 ET ...

I am glad to be home but it is kind of sad that it is over now after waiting for over a year I think for it to happen.

Vince,

You have to remember that you live in Florida now and can often find a short-notice low-priced weekend getaway. No need to worry about post-cruise depression.

Besides, it's gotten more interesting in the last few days. Several of my friends are taking the Enchantment in August and we now refer to that trip as the "Mystery" cruise. We don't know if we're going to Cozumel or the Bahamas. So far, there are changes dropping Cozumel and substituting Nassau, but we don't know how long that will last.

You know it's an easy drive from the Tampa area (although not as easy as from Boynton Beach), so how about joining us?

BTW, it was great seeing you again before you left. I'm only sorry that Roger and I got to your sailaway activity so late and missed most of the rest of the group.

Welcome home,

Beth

Vince,

You have to remember that you live in Florida now and can often find a short-notice low-priced weekend getaway. No need to worry about post-cruise depression.

Besides, it's gotten more interesting in the last few days. Several of my friends are taking the Enchantment in August and we now refer to that trip as the "Mystery" cruise. We don't know if we're going to Cozumel or the Bahamas. So far, there are changes dropping Cozumel and substituting Nassau, but we don't know how long that will last.

You know it's an easy drive from the Tampa area (although not as easy as from Boynton Beach), so how about joining us?

BTW, it was great seeing you again before you left. I'm only sorry that Roger and I got to your sailaway activity so late and missed most of the rest of the group.

Welcome home,

Beth

Hi Beth, Really no post cruise depression just seems like it has been a wild last 3 weeks for me starting with that Sat eve when I saw you. Seriously I had the best time but after 3 weeks it really is nice to get home. LOL, I didn't say it would be nice on Monday when I got to work.

Just went to the store and picked up a few things and got my car washed, boy it sure was dirty just sitting for 3 weeks.

I don't know about the Enchantment in August. Any short cruise I take would have to be one that I don't use really any leave. My leave it pretty much planned for the rest of the year and remember I have a cruise in Oct planned but if things don't get straightened out with the Flu thing that could change.

Absolutely, Vince! Welcome home, BTW! I believe you get the official "worst trip home" award. Next time I see you, I'll deliver the gold medal. ;)

Emmy, you just *might* be right about that photo. However, I'll bet you'll never guess what the subject of the photo is ... :rolleyes: When I dig out from under this pile of work that I haven't been able to even look at because I've been feeling so crappy, and get my photos downloaded to my desktop, I'll email a copy of the photo to you.

Take care! ~ Lorna

Lorna, Hope you feel better, so far so could for me. Any cruise vacation I take and and come home in good health is always considered a blessing to me. I tried real hard to get my sleep on this cruise and did good up until, say last night. :rolleyes: Honestly I think the time change at 12 noon really helped me get my sleep and I loved that (cheers to the Capt from me anyway).

Archived