Live From IOS Transatlantic April 12-25!!!!

Good morning everyone,

As noted yesterday we had our stop in the Azores and it was much nicer than I had expected. Lorna set up a group tour for about 16 of us in 2 private vans and we were the first people off the ship (really) and didn't get back til around right when we needed to be back onboard (1615). The island was beautiful and after some very early light rain at the ship we quickly were in an area with no rain and beautiful weather (once again). The place we had lunch was fanastic with great food and plenty of wine to do around (3 types).

This morning we had more good weather and the seas look like a lake (honestly).

Hope everyone is doing well.

BTW, Melynne I see you dropped by, great to see you the eve before sailing and I am sorry I missed you when you left and was not able to say goodbye.

[quote name='darkauf']Ian, have they taken care of everything in the cabin? They should have given you more on board credit. Did you tell them that they ruined the beginning of your honeymoon??? Is your wife feeling better. I know I got sick on my first two cruises but after that I really never got sick again. I always take my transderm patches with me, but rarely ever use them. I was also taught never to put a full patch on - cut them in half. A full patch is too strong. I am sure she will be feeling better really soon and enjoy the rest of the cruise. What a way to take a honeymoon.

Darlene[/quote]

the leak was the least of our worries, I havce been ill since, we had a hair in my steak the other night and so have given up on using the main dining room. To be honest, whilst most things are minor they are all building up - however this is not to say we are not having a good rest and trying to enjoy the cruise.

Oh and they have run out of baked beans now! Mind you I went to buy a top for my son and was told they did not get any supplies for the shop in Faut Lauderdale, and they also have run out of Marlboro 100's, so the lack of baked beans doesn't surprise me.

Sadly I have been told they do not replenish stocks until Southampton - how can I survive LOL

Folks please do not think I am having a moan, just telling it as it is....

Kevin our concierge is excellent and a very pleasant guy.

[quote name='flames']Hi Lorna, talking about the cruise compass, would you be able to bring me any from your cruise, Please they won't take up to much room:)

If not I will still meet you when you are here:D

Carol:)[/quote]

Carol, I'm saving all my Compasses. I'll scan them in and email them to you, when we get back. If you don't see them by mid-May, will you please email me to remind me?

Can't wait to see you!!!

Hi from the beautiful IOS!! Still beautiful weather - probably the calmest seas. I wear t-shirts and capris and sandles every day - even out of deck. Amazing. We are still having a wonderful time. Lorna, Dennis, me, Daynajo (Dayna and John) as well as Mike and Ellie (silverfoxlady) just won afternoon trivia. Bingo t-shirts for all!

Immigration process works well if you go in the last 30 minutes of your assigned time. Don't go down at the beginning of your time or you will have a long wait. We had 4 in front of us.

Murder Mystery dinner tonight - exctied to see how that goes. Graham Seymour has a late night comedy show tonight - anxious to see him in action - he is hysterical in the morning show.

Some of the guys in our group have a Veteran's meeting in the Schooner bar at 4:30 - thought that was a nice thing to do. We also have Jonathan Kane on board tonight doing his Elton John show- we saw him on the Splendour and he is very good.

Activities staff has been very nice - we especially love Karen from Australia!!

I will post (or I'll tell Lorna too) information on our tour of the Azores yesterday. The lady who arranged it for us is awesome and it is well worth the price of 65 euro. We went to see where our lunch was cooking in the ground and then went to restaurant to eat - tons of wine, meats, vegetables, bread, rice, etc.

The Azores sailaway was indeed very nice with many locals out waving. IOS sounded the horn a few times - very cool. :)

There are still pots in the cabins - my husband boils water every morning for tea.

More soon - thanks to all who are posting - if I missed your questions - I promise I'll answer all of them at some point. Mary - Live from the Independence of the Seas!!

[quote name='isdoo']the leak was the least of our worries, I havce been ill since, we had a hair in my steak the other night and so have given up on using the main dining room. To be honest, whilst most things are minor they are all building up - however this is not to say we are not having a good rest and trying to enjoy the cruise.

Oh and they have run out of baked beans now! Mind you I went to buy a top for my son and was told they did not get any supplies for the shop in Faut Lauderdale, and they also have run out of Marlboro 100's, so the lack of baked beans doesn't surprise me.

Sadly I have been told they do not replenish stocks until Southampton - how can I survive LOL

Folks please do not think I am having a moan, just telling it as it is....

Kevin our concierge is excellent and a very pleasant guy.[/quote]

Ian - no wonder we have hardly seen you!! I am so sorry!! Of all the people - we wish things were going better for you and Cheryl. :( Let us know if you need anything -we are in 9656. Mary

[quote name='nannyspice']Is it possible for anybody on board at the moment who can tell us if there are still kettles and cups in the cabins for making tea, coffee etc. There was on the maiden cruise last May and don't wish to bring travel kettle if there are.
Thanks for anybody who replies and enjoy the rest of your cruise.:)[/quote]

Yes, they are in the cabins. ~ L

[quote name='AzoresW']This was the biggest ship ever to visit Ponta Delgada. Many locals went to the pier to salute the passengers.

Fresh pics from this visit:

[URL]http://www.zirigunfo.variavel.com/index.php?showimage=85[/URL]
[URL]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tQQbEpUFH0c/SetcAaJat6I/AAAAAAAAA6k/Tv0oOhp2q7g/s1600-h/IMG_2587.JPG[/URL]

See you next year Indie !!![/quote]

Hi! It was so great how many people came out to wave good-bye! We had such a fabulous time on your Island! It was drizzling, when we got off the ship (at 7:30AM :eek:) and I thought, "Oh no, we've had just great weather, I guess our luck ran out." However, by the time we got to Lago do Fogo, it was absolutely beautiful and we were able to see the lake perfectly. In fact, some of us got a bit of a sunburn. We had a wonderful private tour with Lisa Ringelberg. I can't wait to return. ~ Lorna

[quote name='mjldvlks'] as well as Mike and Ellie (silverfoxlady) just won afternoon trivia. QUOTE]

Please say hello to Ellie for me. We are Corinne and John from England and met her on the MOSAIC group cruise a couple of years ago. I am following all the posts eagerly as we have another TA Westbound this year again. Glad to hear you are having great weather.

[quote name='ladylawyer']Carol, I'm saving all my Compasses. I'll scan them in and email them to you, when we get back. If you don't see them by mid-May, will you please email me to remind me?

Can't wait to see you!!![/quote]

Thanks Lorna, can't wait to hear all about this cruise from you.....are you doing tours of the other ports too?....

When you get off the Ship are you going to stay in England? and are you going to Paris?.....

Where are you flying home from?

We want to go to Paris and fly home from there:cool:

Hope your weather stays nice for you for the rest of your Vacation;)

Carol:)

[quote name='ladylawyer']Hi! It was so great how many people came out to wave good-bye! We had such a fabulous time on your Island! It was drizzling, when we got off the ship (at 7:30AM :eek:) and I thought, "Oh no, we've had just great weather, I guess our luck ran out." However, by the time we got to Lago do Fogo, it was absolutely beautiful and we were able to see the lake perfectly. In fact, some of us got a bit of a sunburn. We had a wonderful private tour with Lisa Ringelberg. I can't wait to return. ~ Lorna[/quote]

Have never been to Maderia, but I can tell you one thing here in New Bedford we have the largest portugues feast in the world (even bigger than any in Portugual or the islands) The feast is put on by people of Maderian heritage, and we attend every year.

Let me say something though, the Maderia wine is like liquid cocaine and can knock you for a loop. Try a very small glass before you brave a regular one. Looking forward to hearing about your basket rides in Funchal.

Lorna,
Promise you will not go back to the Azores without me....:(and also Venice you need someone to watch your camera. :eek:

Love,

[quote name='snowbird1']Good morning everyone,

As noted yesterday we had our stop in the Azores and it was much nicer than I had expected. Lorna set up a group tour for about 16 of us in 2 private vans and we were the first people off the ship (really) and didn't get back til around right when we needed to be back onboard (1615). The island was beautiful and after some very early light rain at the ship we quickly were in an area with no rain and beautiful weather (once again). The place we had lunch was fanastic with great food and plenty of wine to do around (3 types).

This morning we had more good weather and the seas look like a lake (honestly).

Hope everyone is doing well.

BTW, Melynne I see you dropped by, great to see you the eve before sailing and I am sorry I missed you when you left and was not able to say goodbye.[/quote]

Hi Vince, Sounds like you are enjoying your TA cruise, I booked it for next April so I am excited about it also:cool:

If you see Dayle & Brian (CVU) please say hello to them for me, I hope to get in touch with Dayle when they get back, they are on our Oasis 16th Cruise;)

Hope your weather stays nice for you for the rest of your holidays:D

[quote name='ladylawyer']Hi! It was so great how many people came out to wave good-bye! We had such a fabulous time on your Island! It was drizzling, when we got off the ship (at 7:30AM :eek:) and I thought, "Oh no, we've had just great weather, I guess our luck ran out." However, by the time we got to Lago do Fogo, it was absolutely beautiful and we were able to see the lake perfectly. In fact, some of us got a bit of a sunburn. We had a wonderful private tour with Lisa Ringelberg. I can't wait to return. ~ Lorna[/quote]

Lorna,
Forgot to include in my post, that I have spendt two seperate weeks in St Miguel and barley saw everything. Would love to tour the other six islands. Each island in the Azores is unique.
Did you use any of the portuguese phrases we spoke of?

Hello to all of you...Mary & Dennie, Vince, Lorna...really enjoy reading about your adventures, sound like a great time.

We have decided to do 8 nights in Paris in September so we have moved the Fall Indy sailing to Apr 2010...Jewel.

Just wanted to say hi and let you know how much everyone is enjoying following yall to England...

[quote name='snowbird1']

BTW, Melynne I see you dropped by, great to see you the eve before sailing and I am sorry I missed you when you left and was not able to say goodbye.[/QUOTE]

Hey Vince, sorry we ran off without saying goodbye. It was nice seeing you too. Glad you are having a good time and good weather. I am getting excited planning all my excursions for the Baltic. Marie and I are having some excursion differences. I want to do a bike trip in Stockholm, a hike in Oslo and a kayak tour in Tallin. We both agree on the Absolut Ice Bar in Stockholm. How can you not agree on Vodka?

[quote name='mjldvlks']Hi from the beautiful IOS!! Still beautiful weather - probably the calmest seas. I wear t-shirts and capris and sandles every day - even out of deck. Amazing. We are still having a wonderful time. Lorna, Dennis, me, Daynajo (Dayna and John) as well as Mike and Ellie (silverfoxlady) just won afternoon trivia. Bingo t-shirts for all!

Hey Please do me a favor tell Dayna and John (Daynajo) that Betty from Michigan says HELLO! I am usually her cruise buddy but could not make this one. I am also Johns Trivia partner ask her if I am being replaced LOLOLOL. :D ;)

Thanks and lots of fun cruising!:D

Lizabet623 (Betty)

[quote name='mimikens']Hey Vince, sorry we ran off without saying goodbye. It was nice seeing you too. Glad you are having a good time and good weather. I am getting excited planning all my excursions for the Baltic. Marie and I are having some excursion differences. I want to do a bike trip in Stockholm, a hike in Oslo and a kayak tour in Tallin. We both agree on the Absolut Ice Bar in Stockholm. How can you not agree on Vodka?[/QUOTE]

Melynne, When I get back to FL I will email you with something for the Baltic that you all may find useful, lots of very good information and I think I mentioned this to you that night at dinner but it was noisy.

Good afternoon,

Well what can I say, another fantastic beautiful day in Maderia. I had a great tour today with just the 4 of us in our own cab. This time around we spent a lot more time driving around the Island and seeing all the beautiful sites. Last year I spent more time in town but this time more in the outlying areas. The flowers are blooming everywhere just like last year when I was here. The weather is absolutely perfect. We saw Lorna and Mary heading up the tram to probably ride the sled down. I did this again this year and it was fun but not quite the same as my first time (well I knew what to expect and the route).

A miracle happened yesterday, they had a 20oz beer special all day for $3 and I saw a lot of people enjoying that including me.

We had another day at sea tomorrow and then Vigo Spain.

Oh before I forget to mention, we have done all our time changes at 12 noon and I think it is MUCH better that way after losing all that time at night last time during my crossing. A lot of the CC gang went to the Murder Mystery last night and I understand it was very good and a lot of fun. I have met a lot of great people from the UK on this cruise including all my tablemates in the DR.

That is all for now! :D

Oh, right now a large group of the ladies are having Tea and Cookies at one of the nice hotels.

Hello Snowbird1,

Glad you are having a great cruise:D. Today in Madeira when you took the cab, did you use Daniel? Just curious as I was speaking with his wife via email today and she told me Daniel was out with 4 pax from the IOS. How did you like the tour? Did you do the 4 hour one? I have booked him for next month.

[quote name='snowbird1']Good afternoon,

Well what can I say, another fantastic beautiful day in Maderia. I had a great tour today with just the 4 of us in our own cab. This time around we spent a lot more time driving around the Island and seeing all the beautiful sites. Last year I spent more time in town but this time more in the outlying areas. The flowers are blooming everywhere just like last year when I was here. The weather is absolutely perfect. We saw Lorna and Mary heading up the tram to probably ride the sled down. I did this again this year and it was fun but not quite the same as my first time (well I knew what to expect and the route).

A miracle happened yesterday, they had a 20oz beer special all day for $3 and I saw a lot of people enjoying that including me.

We had another day at sea tomorrow and then Vigo Spain.

Oh before I forget to mention, we have done all our time changes at 12 noon and I think it is MUCH better that way after losing all that time at night last time during my crossing. A lot of the CC gang went to the Murder Mystery last night and I understand it was very good and a lot of fun. I have met a lot of great people from the UK on this cruise including all my tablemates in the DR.

That is all for now! :D

Oh, right now a large group of the ladies are having Tea and Cookies at one of the nice hotels.[/quote]

Good Morning Vince, So it is afternoon for you, sounds like you had another nice day, I hope I get to have the same weather as you are having when we cross next year:D

I like to know all about this ride down a slide:confused:

Have a great time tonight:cool:

[quote name='flames']Thanks Lorna, can't wait to hear all about this cruise from you.....are you doing tours of the other ports too?....

When you get off the Ship are you going to stay in England? and are you going to Paris?.....

Where are you flying home from?

We want to go to Paris and fly home from there:cool:

Hope your weather stays nice for you for the rest of your Vacation;)

Carol:)[/quote]

Hi Carol!

We're taking the high-speed ferry to Cherbourg, shortly post-disembarkation, and staying in Normandy so the boys can do the WWII beaches and such. Then, we're headed to Paris for a little over a day. It's too small of a time to really "do" Paris, but we're on the HoHo bus, so that will give us a fairly good overview. We've all been there before, except for Bill (who doesn't want to go, at all :(). We fly out of Charles deGaulle (sp?). ~ L

As Vince and Ian mentioned, it was a lovely day in Madeira. Our wonderful-weather luck continues! :D Mary, Dennis, Bill and I rode the cable car up to the top of the mountain. For those of you with us in Barcelona, you'll recall that Bill is not a big fan of heights. He was quite a trouper, though. Mary & Dennis rode the sledge (sleigh/basket) down, whereas Bill & I came back in the cable car. This time it was only the 2 of us and Bill was very unhappy that I kept moving about the car, to jockey for better photos. Apparently, it was causing the car to swing about. :eek: ;)

We met Mary & Dennis at the bottom and walked until we found a nice deli at which to have lunch. Really delicious and OMG so inexpensive! After lunch the men went back to the ship (as they had their fill of shopping, at that point). I found a few scarves and some pottery. Then we walked/took a taxi to Reid's Hotel. Google it. It's GEORGOUS!!! The tea was lovely. The servers were a tad snooty. Mary said, "This is just beautiful," to which he replied, "Of course it is!" (As Mary would say, "Oh Brother! - with one of those eye-rolls.)

We had a nice time and managed to get back to the ship with minutes to spare. We're on our way to Vigo, Spain.

Afternoon Trivia was "True or False." It was pretty hard ... and, honestly, who cares that an osterich's brain is smaller than his eyes, anyway? ;) We're still plugging away with Progressive Trivia in the evening. Seriously ... so people get their knickers in such a knot over some rubber keychains!!! :eek:

TTYL! Hope everyone is having a great April!!! ~ Lorna

Sounds like a wonferful crossing! We are looking forward to our westbound TA on the Voyager in November! Quick question - can someone tell me if they still have the daily newspapers available in the library (print outs in various languages)? Thanks for the info!

We are learning valuable information for our TA next April. Keep it coming. Ian, I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time on board. I would continue to complain about stuff if it isn't right. Send an email to Royal and tell them what is happening. Believe me, they listen. Someone sent an email about concierge for our Alaskan Cruise coming up next week and they received a response back immediately - from the people who make a difference. I hope things get better for you.

Looking forward to hearing about Vigo Spain

Darlene

Archived