Live From IOS Transatlantic April 12-25!!!!

[quote name='mjldvlks']Finally off the ship and in France!! I am SOOOO sorry for the limited reviews while out at sea. The entire group has so much to share with all of you that are either already going on or planning to go on the Independence of the Seas. I have to say that this was truly an incredible cruise. You could not ask for better weather. When I get back home I promise a full, very detailed report.

For tonight, we just returned from a day in Normandy - touring several WWII sites and also the Bayeux Tapestry. Our B&B is on the main street in Carentan - run by a wonderful lady named Nancy. It is about 30 minutes from Cherbourg and a great place to start touring all the WWII sites. If anyone needs information - just send me an e-mail at address below.

We drove to Caen this morning - dropped the guys off at the WWII museum and we found a wonderful little bakery and bought some apple streudel and chocolate croissants. Got lost several times but finally found the market downtown (it is Sunday so most everything closed). Lorna and I had a good time wondering through the stalls - lots of great looking food. Got lost going back to museum - headed to Pegasus bridge. Also saw Juno Beach, Mulberry Harbor. Mulberry Harbor is something to see..... Saw lots of beautiful green, lush land, beautiful cathedrals. All in all a great day. Tomorrow we are off to the American Cemetary and American beaches with a late train to Paris.

As Lorna said, we won trivia the last night....still cannot believe it! We each received an RCI cooler, cap, pen, keychain, t-shirt, picture of the ship, and a beautiful piece of artwork. We also received a bottle of champagne and a certificate stating we were the smartest people on the ship.....ha.ha. Lorna's friends Glen and Helen ate dinner with us everynight, as well and Ellie and Mike (silverfoxlady) - and Glenn's birthday was celebrated also friday night so had a wonderful last dinner.

Here is the long-awaited picture of the pole in the 1704 on IOS - this is a great room and in my opinion one of the very best. I will give a complete review of all the rooms we saw on the cabin crawl later.

IMHO, we had the greatest Meet and Mingle. Some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Everyone commented this was one of the best organized and most fun M&M's - and even if you didn't participate in all the activities, it definitely gave those that wanted to the ability to meet people before boarding the ship and I know there were many new friendships formed.

We are also all very impressed with Graham Seymour - one of the funniest guys. He made Quest hysterical. More about all of that later also.

You must go to both ice shows if you go on IOS - top notch shows from some great skaters - from the U.S., Canadian, and Russian National teams. No one went away disappointed.

All for now - need to get to sleep - we are off on the train to Paris tomorrow night. Talk to you all sometime later this week with more updates and pictures!! Mary[/quote]

Thanks Mary, I think you mean cabin # 1700 as I am going to be in 1404 and it is not the pole cabin, great picture of you guys, did you find that the cabin was bigger then the other D1's are:D

I am waiting to hear all about Paris as I think that is where we are going to go for a week after the cruise:cool:

When will you be flying home and from what Airport?

Have a safe and fun time the rest of your stay in Europe:cool:

Carol:)

[quote name='mjldvlks']Finally off the ship and in France!! I am SOOOO sorry for the limited reviews while out at sea. The entire group has so much to share with all of you that are either already going on or planning to go on the Independence of the Seas. I have to say that this was truly an incredible cruise. You could not ask for better weather. When I get back home I promise a full, very detailed report.

For tonight, we just returned from a day in Normandy - touring several WWII sites and also the Bayeux Tapestry. Our B&B is on the main street in Carentan - run by a wonderful lady named Nancy. It is about 30 minutes from Cherbourg and a great place to start touring all the WWII sites. If anyone needs information - just send me an e-mail at address below.

We drove to Caen this morning - dropped the guys off at the WWII museum and we found a wonderful little bakery and bought some apple streudel and chocolate croissants. Got lost several times but finally found the market downtown (it is Sunday so most everything closed). Lorna and I had a good time wondering through the stalls - lots of great looking food. Got lost going back to museum - headed to Pegasus bridge. Also saw Juno Beach, Mulberry Harbor. Mulberry Harbor is something to see..... Saw lots of beautiful green, lush land, beautiful cathedrals. All in all a great day. Tomorrow we are off to the American Cemetary and American beaches with a late train to Paris.

As Lorna said, we won trivia the last night....still cannot believe it! We each received an RCI cooler, cap, pen, keychain, t-shirt, picture of the ship, and a beautiful piece of artwork. We also received a bottle of champagne and a certificate stating we were the smartest people on the ship.....ha.ha. Lorna's friends Glen and Helen ate dinner with us everynight, as well and Ellie and Mike (silverfoxlady) - and Glenn's birthday was celebrated also friday night so had a wonderful last dinner.

Here is the long-awaited picture of the pole in the 1704 on IOS - this is a great room and in my opinion one of the very best. I will give a complete review of all the rooms we saw on the cabin crawl later.

IMHO, we had the greatest Meet and Mingle. Some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Everyone commented this was one of the best organized and most fun M&M's - and even if you didn't participate in all the activities, it definitely gave those that wanted to the ability to meet people before boarding the ship and I know there were many new friendships formed.

We are also all very impressed with Graham Seymour - one of the funniest guys. He made Quest hysterical. More about all of that later also.

You must go to both ice shows if you go on IOS - top notch shows from some great skaters - from the U.S., Canadian, and Russian National teams. No one went away disappointed.

All for now - need to get to sleep - we are off on the train to Paris tomorrow night. Talk to you all sometime later this week with more updates and pictures!! Mary[/quote]

OMG, a real pole in the cabin.....if it was my cabin I would have been crashing into it 2 or 3 times a day.
After lurking on this and the other your other thread, this cruise sounds like our BOS cruise in 2007.
Looking forward to the PC cruise and all the activites.
Also your side trip to Normandy and Paris makes me even more envious...waiting to hear more updates

Good evening everyone,

As Mary mentioned we (the 5 of us) had a great time in France and today we finished our journey that Dennis did a wonderful job of planning. Our mission was accompished and we did everything we had planned with 15 minutes to spare. :eek: I was dropped off at the Ferry station 15 minutes early by Mary who did a great job of driving the entire time. As Mary mentioned, our B&B was really in a nice location and Nancy was very friendly to us. The place we stayed in was actually there in WWII and Nancy showed us a picture of it. Well today our streak of fantastic weather on this entire trip finally ended just in time for our visit to all the American Beach landing sites and the Cemetery. I must stay seeing the all the crosses for those who gave their lives was very moving and it was just incredible how they just seemed to go on and on (so many thousands of them all perfectly aligned). There is a lot of great information there in the Visitor Center as well.

Speaking of the bad weather today, I had an interesting ride back across the English Channel in the Ferry today. We went much slower than before and it was much rougher. I did not get sick but I saw many heading to the restrooms with bag in hand (if you know what I mean). LOL, I thought I was on a Deep Sea Fishing boat and this time the trip did take the entire 3 hours plus a little.

Carol, if you all plan this trip next year and plan on going to France I highly recommend you talk to the 5 of us and learn what we learned. There is one site we really wanted to go to but needed one day and it appears it is well worth your time going and then again you may not want to see some of the stuff we did. I really wish all of you that cancelled could have been there with us because I just can't imagine the weather being any better. Even the Captain seemed surprised at how calm it was as we headed towards the UK.

Tomorrow I have a few things to do here in Portsmouth before I catch the train to London for several days there and then I fly home.

Lorna, Mary, Bill and Dennis all caught the train to Paris this eve and should be there by now.

Vince, sounds like you had a wonderful land trip also....We plan on staying in Paris for a week and I don't know if we will be going to England, so I will have to talk to you about all this:D

Have a safe trip home:)

[quote name='flames']Thanks Mary, I think you mean cabin # 1700 as I am going to be in 1404 and it is not the pole cabin, great picture of you guys, did you find that the cabin was bigger then the other D1's are:D

I am waiting to hear all about Paris as I think that is where we are going to go for a week after the cruise:cool:

Carol:)[/quote]

Yes, it was room 1700 - I don't know what I was thinking! We just arrived in Paris - safely here at our hotel. We will have lots to share with you and all reading this thread. I hope to write a complete, very detailed review on the plane ride home.

Everyone should go to Normandy sometime in their lives - to stand at Point du hoc today and see all the crater holes and imagine our soldiers there - well, there are no words to describe it. The American Cemetary is also incredibly moving.

We have had lots of experiences today - can't wait to share. Be patient - I promise a detailed review of the IOS cruise and our Normandy experiences. More soon!! Mary

[quote name='flames']Thanks Mary, I think you mean cabin # 1700 as I am going to be in 1404 and it is not the pole cabin, great picture of you guys, did you find that the cabin was bigger then the other D1's are:D

Carol:)[/quote]

BonSoir from Paris!

Yes, 1700 was our cabin (w/ the pole) and is huge. It's a bit wider than the JS aft, but without the ammenities. Still, it was wonderful to have so much room in the cabin! I would choose it (or its twink, 1400) everytime! The balcony was nice too. I laid on the lounger many times and watched the wake. In fact, one night, early in the cruise, I was so hot in the cabin that I went out and fell asleep on the balcony. I don't recommed that, as my back did not prefer the lounger over the bed, but it was nice.

I hope your weather is as good as ours was!!! Calm seas and warm weather ... until we hit rainy Paris. :(

[quote name='mjldvlks']Yes, it was room 1700 - I don't know what I was thinking! We just arrived in Paris - safely here at our hotel. We will have lots to share with you and all reading this thread. I hope to write a complete, very detailed review on the plane ride home.

Everyone should go to Normandy sometime in their lives - to stand at Point du hoc today and see all the crater holes and imagine our soldiers there - well, there are no words to describe it. The American Cemetary is also incredibly moving.

We have had lots of experiences today - can't wait to share. Be patient - I promise a detailed review of the IOS cruise and our Normandy experiences. More soon!! Mary[/quote]

I echo Mary's comments on Normandy! The American Cemetary was very moving also, but those beaches ... astounding!

I look forward to reading your review, Mary. I wonder what you will say about the cab ride, tonight ... I think I know what a sardine feels like, all packed in nice and tight! :eek: Mary, Dennis & I became even better friends, on that cab ride! LOL!!! It was OK until Dennis started mentioning about "getting lucky" ... :eek: (BTW, he was trying to reach the address for the hotel in Mary's purse, on the floor of the cab, under the suitcases we piled on our laps ... what were you thinking?? :rolleyes: )

Vince, good to hear from you. I hope you have a wonderful time in England!

Time to go to bed! We're off tomorrow to find a breakfast acceptable to my picky-eater husband and then to jump on the HoHo bus! I cannot believe that this trip is nearly over. :( ~ L

[quote name='ladylawyer'] I cannot believe that this trip is nearly over. :( ~ L[/quote]

Have a safe trip home Lorna, Bill, Mary and Dennis...thanks for sharing the trip. I wish I hadn't cancelled this cruise, but you gave me a feel for the fun and congrats on winning trivia!!:):)

Ally

[quote name='29-ish']Have a safe trip home Lorna, Bill, Mary and Dennis...thanks for sharing the trip. I wish I hadn't cancelled this cruise, but you gave me a feel for the fun and congrats on winning trivia!!:):)

Ally[/quote]

Hi Ally, Book with us next year, we well have a great great group and it is the last time it well go over, come on join us:D

[quote name='flames']Vince, sounds like you had a wonderful land trip also....We plan on staying in Paris for a week and I don't know if we will be going to England, so I will have to talk to you about all this:D

Have a safe trip home:)

Carol:)[/QUOTE]

Carol,

Yes I was thinking if you went to France after the cruise like we did and of course Paris. We could share with you all the information about the Ferry and that kind of information and how we got to the Ferry port plus the cost.

:D I still owe poor Mary some money for the rental car and the gas.

Well this morning I did the Harbor tour in Portsmouth and went up in the big tower before having a nice lunch and getting things packed up to leave. The weather was beautiful until right when I left at 1345 is rained just a little. The train ride back to London was fine and plenty of room for my luggage during off peak hours. I arrived in London and took a black cab to another rail station (wasn't about to haul all that luggage on the tube) and that cost about 11 pounds which wasn't too bad. From there I caught another train that was rather full to my friends home in Hundington. So I have arrived and we went for a nice dinner and now I am washing some clothes. :eek: Tomorrow I will be heading into London and maybe again on Thursday although I may go to Peterborough?? I am already dreading the thought of the long flight back and the jet lag. I really loved how the Captain had us change times at noon instead of midnight, I hardly noticed it and it definitely helped me get more rest.

Hope Lorna, Mary, Bill and Dennis have a safe trip back to the US and boy all they are talking about here in England is the Swine Flu outbreak and they are suggesting people not travel to the US!!

So glad to see Vince safe and sound. We are getting ready to go to sleep - up early to get a shuttle to the airport - home tomorrow!! I am ready.

Wonderful day in Paris - more in my review that I will work on on the flight home. Ho Ho buses are wonderful things!! Had crepes and coffee near Notre Dame - Dennis and I and Lorna had not been here in more than 30 years - brought back lots of memories.

Vince- be safe and let us know when you get home. Take care, Mary

[quote name='mjldvlks']So glad to see Vince safe and sound. We are getting ready to go to sleep - up early to get a shuttle to the airport - home tomorrow!! I am ready.

Wonderful day in Paris - more in my review that I will work on on the flight home. Ho Ho buses are wonderful things!! Had crepes and coffee near Notre Dame - Dennis and I and Lorna had not been here in more than 30 years - brought back lots of memories.

Vince- be safe and let us know when you get home. Take care, Mary[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mary, Hope your flights are all good ones, I am getting ready to head into London, slept in a little this am after yesterday's day of travel. Weather looks pretty good so my first stop is going to be the London Eye and then probably the HOHO bus again.

[quote name='mjldvlks'] We are getting ready to go to sleep - up early to get a shuttle to the airport - home tomorrow!! I am ready.

Take care, Mary[/quote]

Mary,

What a pleasure it was to meet you guys - I know we didn't get much time to chat, but that is the beauty of cruises - so much to do - enough for everyone!

I am going to write a review as well - as long as our trip was, the reviews should be aplenty!

Our family loved the trip, in spite of Sean getting a nasty cold and giving to me on the trip - some things are just beyond kleenex!

We loved it so much we are trying to figure out when to go again!

Dani

[quote name='snowbird1']Thanks Mary, Hope your flights are all good ones, I am getting ready to head into London, slept in a little this am after yesterday's day of travel. Weather looks pretty good so my first stop is going to be the London Eye and then probably the HOHO bus again.[/quote]Hi there Vince, so please you seem to be having a good time here in the UK. Sounds like you quite enjoyed our second home town (Portsmouth). We left there on Monday lunchtime to drive home to the North. Unfortunately the trip was pretty awful with 2 major traffic accidents which closed the motorway and we had to take long detours. However, home safe now. Look forward to hearing from you when you get home. Elaine and Lysle p.s. thanks again for getting the shirts.

[quote name='sandancer']Hi there Vince, so please you seem to be having a good time here in the UK. Sounds like you quite enjoyed our second home town (Portsmouth). We left there on Monday lunchtime to drive home to the North. Unfortunately the trip was pretty awful with 2 major traffic accidents which closed the motorway and we had to take long detours. However, home safe now. Look forward to hearing from you when you get home. Elaine and Lysle p.s. thanks again for getting the shirts.[/QUOTE]

Elaine, Oh too bad you all couldn't stay just a little longer because I would have met you for dinner! :p I got there about 7 pm on Friday eve, ck'd in at the hotel (btw it was fine and what a great location) and then I went out for a great Salmon dinner and a Pint. :D Yes I did enjoy it there.

Weather in London today was fantastic, no rain at all and blue skies. One more day, probably in London tomorrow before I fly back on Friday afternoon.

It was really great meeting you all as well and spending so many fine evenings in the D-Lounge with all of you.

Where is Tom?

[quote name='DanielleRB']Mary,

What a pleasure it was to meet you guys - I know we didn't get much time to chat, but that is the beauty of cruises - so much to do - enough for everyone!

I am going to write a review as well - as long as our trip was, the reviews should be aplenty!

Our family loved the trip, in spite of Sean getting a nasty cold and giving to me on the trip - some things are just beyond kleenex!

We loved it so much we are trying to figure out when to go again!

Dani[/QUOTE]

Hope you are feeling better now. Our ride showed up in S. Hampton right after you left and on time.

We're home!!! I feel like I've been on a plane or in an airport for years!!! :eek: Our shuttle to CDG (Paris airport) arrived at 8AM Wednesday and, according to my "still-on-Paris-time watch," it is now 9:40AM Thursday. Our transition from the International Terminal, though Customs, and to the Domestic Terminal at ORD was actually very painless. Much better than our experience in Philly, after the Brilliance Med cruise. However, the 6-hour layover sucked. :( It's good to be home and to see the kitty-girls. I'll be happy to sleep in my own bed.

The HoHo bus was really the best overview of Paris, for the little time we had. Bill caught a cold on the last few days of the cruise, and the rainy weather in Normandy and Paris didn't help. He's shared it with me. :(

I talked to Mary while she was in Dallas (having American food ;) ) and they, too, had an easy transition to the Domestic terminal. I know she'll check in tomorrow.

We have lots of great info for anyone who is considering Normandy and/or Paris. I was quite pleased with the accommodations, in both locations. It was just a fabulous cruise and post-cruise trip. I'm looking forward to hearing from the others, as they return from post-cruise trips. TTYL! ~ Lorna

Good Morning and welcome home to all of you...all of you are home now aren't you?

Will be looking forward to the stories you will share after of course you get some much needed rest.

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/Tammy_M/hugs%20getwell%20gn%20gm%20etc/Welcome%20back/WelBackGladYourBackDaisiesIS.gif[/IMG]

We are leaving monday to europe on the Jewel. We are going to Cherbourg Normandy France . How was the Weather Temps. RAIN, in France . We are looking foward to seeing Normandy. Not so much Spain and Portugal but we take what comes. Anything you recamond to see in VIGO spain or Lisbon Portugal CARL

[quote name='50cruiser']We are leaving monday to europe on the Jewel. We are going to Cherbourg Normandy France . How was the Weather Temps. RAIN, in France . We are looking foward to seeing Normandy. Not so much Spain and Portugal but we take what comes. Anything you recamond to see in VIGO spain or Lisbon Portugal CARL[/quote]

Hi Carl! We did not go to Lisbon, unfortunately (it was originally on our itinerary, but was swapped for Madeira).

The best recommendation I can make for Vigo is to catch the Hop On, Hop Off bus and stay on. It leaves at 10AM, so I recommend that you be down at the entrance to the Port by 9:30AM, as the bus fills rapidly and, unlike in most towns that have multiple HoHo buses, there is only 1, and you will have to wait until 12noon, to catch the next. We missed the first, so we walked around the area of the Port, to wait for the next. Across the street from the Port is a medium-sized shopping mall, but is more like a regular mall, with standard shops. There is one shop w/ local artisan items, but was very pricey, IMHO. We found some souviner shops a couple of blocks away. Rather than walking up the steep hill, just past the Tourist Info Center (where they do not speak English very well, unfortunately), stay on the main street to the left of the Tourist Info Center and turn right at the light, a couple of blocks down. The road splits; stay on the left side (the one that does not slope at high as the other) and you will find more shops. There are also some you will pass, as you walk toward the traffic light. You will also find several sections of street vendors (they appeared to be from Africa) selling knock-off designer handbags. If you're looking for a Prada or Louis Vuitton purse, the prices are good and they will "bargain".

We actually stayed in the Normandy region for a few days, post-cruise, as Cherbourg was cut from our itinerary. I recommend that you book a tour (either privately or with the ship, as the WWII sites, such as Omaha Beach, Pont du Hoc, and the American Cemetary are a good distance from Cherbourg). The weather for the first 2 days was warm. We were fine in pants and short sleeves, bringing a light jacket or sweatshirt. It rained our last day (Monday the 27th) and I was glad I had my rainjacket with me. However, it was not too cold, until we were in Paris, on Tuesday, where the rain was much worse.

The weather for the rest of the crossing was unbelievably warm and wonderful. The seas were very calm. There was a storm out there, but Capt. Teo was very careful to keep us away from it. I spent a lot of time on our aft balcony, enjoying the weather.

Have a wonderful time and safe journey!!! ~ Lorna

We got home last night after midnight CST. Long, long day of over 24 hours being up. Storms all over middle of U.S. delayed us in Dallas. Other than that, this trip really could not have been better. So good to sleep in my bed but looking at my work e-mails completely overwhelms me!! ha.ha.

Emmy, Carol, others - will post detailed review by the weekend. I am so glad to see Dani will be posting a review and I know Vince and Lorna will have much to say also. Will be nice to see all of the perspectives!! Also will post some pictures and eventually have a site up to view them all.

Welcome home to everyone!! So glad to see Lorna is home!! Talk to you all soon. Mary

[quote name='emmy']Good Morning and welcome home to all of you...all of you are home now aren't you?

Will be looking forward to the stories you will share after of course you get some much needed rest.

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/Tammy_M/hugs%20getwell%20gn%20gm%20etc/Welcome%20back/WelBackGladYourBackDaisiesIS.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Well Emmy, I am still in London:eek: but I fly back tomorrow and had another great day there today and did some Rick Steves walking tours along with some other things. I posted on the Oasis board, have you seen my posts?

Lorna, I am so sorry to hear you caught Bill's cold, I knew he had one when we were in France. Knock on wood, I am still healthy, thought I was coming down with a cold and I was not so I am very happy. If I can make it home on the plane without catching one that would be wonderful.

Glad to hear Mary, Dennis, Lorna and Bill all made it home so I think I may be the last one? Honestly after 3 weeks I am ready to go home and eat American food and hit my bed. I am not looking foward to work but it will be nice to get home after a long time away and of course all of us know that feeling at some point.

The whole vacation really has been fanastic and I am happy I have been blessed enough to do this type of thing while I am younger and can enjoy it.

LOL, now for the bad news, looks like I am going to have to take my luggage on the Tube tomorrow, as many know I tried hard to prevent that but things have changed with my ride and now I have two options that I can afford and one is the Tube. The only good news is I think I can plan this around the busiest time but it won't be pleasant until I am at the airport. I have been riding the Tube for 2 days now and I isn't a place to be hauling luggage especially all mine.

[quote name='snowbird1']
LOL, now for the bad news, looks like I am going to have to take my luggage on the Tube tomorrow, as many know I tried hard to prevent that but things have changed with my ride and now I have two options that I can afford and one is the Tube. The only good news is I think I can plan this around the busiest time but it won't be pleasant until I am at the airport. I have been riding the Tube for 2 days now and I isn't a place to be hauling luggage especially all mine.[/quote]

Get yourself to Paddington station....the entry on and off the train is level and is easy.....if I can do it, you can do it, Vince...:D Its cost is about 16 pounds... cheaper than a cab...over 40 pounds. It goes to T 1,2,3 and 5. The Heathrow Connect goes to T4. You don't have to deal with any traffic snarls either.

It was so nice to meet you Vince...you're a real gentleman! I'm glad you've had such a good time. Hope you don't catch any colds, either. I did get a low-grade cold...but feel fine.

Have a wonderful trip home.

Joyce C. :D

[quote name='ladysail2']Get yourself to Paddington station....the entry on and off the train is level and is easy.....if I can do it, you can do it, Vince...:D Its cost is about 16 pounds... cheaper than a cab...over 40 pounds. It goes to T 1,2,3 and 5. The Heathrow Connect goes to T4. You don't have to deal with any traffic snarls either.

It was so nice to meet you Vince...you're a real gentleman! I'm glad you've had such a good time. Hope you don't catch any colds, either. I did get a low-grade cold...but feel fine.

Have a wonderful trip home.

Joyce C. :D[/QUOTE]

Joyce, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. I am aware of the Heath Express BUT getting to that station is the problem. Not sure you know that I am actually staying about 50 miles north of London and take the fast train in everyday. I will need to do this tomorrow and then take a bus to Paddington station or just go for the Tube and hope it isn't too crowded. Once I am on it goes all the way, just getting the luggage all the way down there and into the train itself. I am seriously thinking about the bus to Paddington but all this happens tomorrow one way or the other.

Archived